User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 25 Jan 2004, 23:01   #51
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold
Re: Dawning Empires

You smell!
Rape his children and corn!

:\
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 02:17   #52
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Richpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of light

I know you're supposed to burn the corn, unless you plan on occupying the land, in which case you eat it. But what do you do with all the children? Slave labour? Bring them up as your own so they can learn that you killed their real parents and murder you in the middle of the night with a toothbrush?
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 16:44   #53
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Gwain: Salted Pork?

Quartermaster: Check.

Gwain: Flour?

Gwain: Extra Armour? Spare Weapons?

Quartermaster: Check and check.

Hewitt: Underpants?

Gwain: Underpants!?

Quartermaster: Err, check...

Gwain: Ok... Horse Feed?

Gwain: Replacement wagon wheels?

Hewitt: Dancing girls?

Gwain: What?

Quartermaster: Heh. Check.

Gwain: ffs Hewitt... Dancing girls?

Hewitt: For erm... morale. Yeah... *ahem* morale...

Gwain: *rolleyes* bloody hell... alright, uniforms?

Quartermaster: Um, check.

Gwain: Dried Fruit?

Gwain: Horse shoes?

Hewitt: Wine? Ale? Sugar rum?

Gwain: You can't be serious...

Quartermaster: *grins* Check, check and double check.

Gwain: Right that's it. Off with you, you cheeky bugger. *pushes a grinning Hewitt away*

Hewitt: Oi! I'm yer king remember!

Gwain: Then go off and be kingly somewhere else, I've got work to do. Coin?

Hewitt: Minstrals?

Gwain: Go! NOW!!

Hewitt: Hehehe... *leaves*

Gwain: Please tell me you didn't let him bring those baffoons with him.

Quartermaster: ...

Gwain: Please tell me you didn't let him bring those baffoons with him!!

Quartermaster: Well... he is the king m'lord.

*Cue Hewitt leading a group of soldiers all of them drinking vast quantities of ale, making merry with a few scantly clad dancing ladies and singing along to the tune of 'Great Southern Land'. Hewitt waves, mouths the words "Well you did say go off and be kingly" as they go by and then they continue onwards through the camp, their numbers growing as they move on.*

Gwain: *holds his head with one hand* Something tells me this is going to be a loooong invasion...

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 18:12   #54
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts

Y'all
Battle DMings tomorrow. I decided not to do any tonight because I'm lazy.

Lakhim
Approved, since you have to start on the NW continent itself I'll assume you want the territory north of Hewitt's. Although the base income would have been 85 EP, your ludicrous amount of economic advantage points increase it to 116 EP.

Rich
Approved with extra commendation for map/background info. Your country's base income is 85 EP, but this rises to 100 EP by merit of economic advantage points.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 18:44   #55
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road

Budget of the Kingdom of Urbanica, FY 1084 (edited for EP update)

Base Income, YS (Same as FY, just in local form, stands for Year of the Sovereign) 1083: 116 EP
Income Growth, YS 1083: 0 EP
Income, YS 1084: 116 EP

Spending:
Bureaucracy- 9% (10.44 EP)
Military- 14% (17 EP)
Re-investment- 77% (89.32 EP)

Military Spending:
One Peasants - U 1 EP (3 Disbanded, YS 1084, weapons stockpiled)
Mounted Knights - U 12 EP
Galley - U 16 EP
Total Upkeep- 17 EP ~14%

Research:
Mercantile Houses
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 18:51   #56
No Dachi

Lakhim, may I suggest spending a little more on military and a little less on reinvestment?

Unread 26 Jan 2004, 19:33   #57
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Doh! That set was for my little island empire (thus the galley). Can I change my free unit (and the rest)?

Last edited by Lakhim; 26 Jan 2004 at 19:39.
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 22:36   #58
No Dachi

Certainly. I did suggest it, after all...

Unread 27 Jan 2004, 01:50   #59
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Budget of the Kingdom of Urbanica, FY 1084 (edited for EP update)

Base Income, YS (Same as FY, just in local form, stands for Year of the Sovereign) 1083: 116 EP
Income Growth, YS 1083: 0 EP
Income, YS 1084: 116 EP

Spending:
Bureaucracy- 9% (10.44 EP)
Military- ~41% (47 EP)
Re-investment- ~50% (58.56 EP)

Military Spending

Upkeep:
Four Peasants- U 4 EP
Mounted Knights- U 12 EP (King's Unit)
Men-At-Arms- U 6 EP
Total Upkeep- 10 EP

New Units:
2 Mounted Sergeants - P 6 EP, U 6 EP
3 Horse Archers- P 5 EP, U 5 EP
2 Spear Sergeants- P 4 EP, U 4 EP
1 Peasant- P 1 EP, U 1 EP
Total Spent- 37 EP
New Upkeep- 47 EP

Research:
Mercantile Houses
Unread 27 Jan 2004, 15:35   #60
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Hewitt: Lord Gwain. Devise a dispatch to be sent out to the foreign villages and towns before us. On it I wish to proclaim that any able bodied man or soldier wishing to earn a decent wage shall be able to enter our service as a conscript of Terra Australis.

Gwain: Is that wise Hewitt? Recruiting foreign troops to invade their own lands?

Hewitt: Wait there is more. I also want it to be known that we will not harm any non-combatants or their respective property. All we may require of them is a decent amount of supplies every once in a while which will be adequately paid for.

Gwain: You realise sir that if we do these things it is going to cost us more to run this expedition. Much more.

Hewitt: Yes, but think of the benefits of treating the people here fairly... it'll lessen the likehood of peasant resistance and uprising should we claim these lands. At the very least we'll boost our ranks a little.

Gwain: Very well then it shall be done.

*Later in that day several messengers ride forth from the encampment under the banners of parley, carrying several copies of the king's promclamation.*

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 27 Jan 2004, 17:13   #61
No Dachi

Hewitt
You need the Levy technology to make any form of conscription attempt.

Unread 27 Jan 2004, 17:44   #62
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

ooc: Oh...

Well the bit about not harming non-combatants still stands (t'would be against meh culture ).

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 03:07   #63
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Richpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of light

The rider appeared at the palace gates soon after sunset, his horse steaming in the cool mountain air. The wearied animal stood silent but for its harsh breathing as the gatekeeper addressed the rag-cloaked burden.

“Whatfor cometh thou unto this door?”

“I would speak with thy master.” Replies a voice far fairer than would be expected from one so clothed.

“And what business wouldst one such as thou have with the emperor; wench?” The guard demands.

“One such as I finds thy demeanour unseemly.” She replies, brushing back the stained and crumpled hood from her hair and allowing the cloak to slip back exposing the finery beneath.

The guard does what can only be termed a triple take, glancing between the fraying outer garments, the lady’s regal visage and the royal blue riding suit underneath. The sight of the long gently curving sword hung from her belt suddenly makes him wish he had not been quite so abrupt earlier and he begins to apologise at some length.

“Of course you would have been more polite had thou known who it was thou addressed. Mayhap this will cause you to pay more regard to those less fortunate, lest they be not what they appear.”

“Yes your grace.” Mumbles the guard, his throat catching with nerves.

“Well?..”

“Yes your grace?”

“The door!”

The throne room was, he had to admit, hideously ostentatious. Myriad generations of self proclaimed emperors had gradually plated the entire room in a thin sheath of varicoloured gold. There was probably more gold in the decorations here than in the imperial treasury; briefly he considered having the room melted down, but as that would probably cause a public outcry he soon dismissed it from his thoughts.

“Your Imperial Majesty.” She curtsied elegantly on entering, her rags long discarded for a full cape of the deepest blue satin.

“Your grace.” He replies, lifting himself from the throne directly into a stately bow before stepping down from the dais. “Does that satisfy protocol?”

“If Your Imperial Majesty so wishes it.”

“My Imperial Majesty does.” He smiles, “It has been too long my dear, you were but a child when last we met.”

“Doeth my years show so greatly?”

“Not your years, but you are of cert no longer a mere child. Your Grace.” He added the rank pointedly.

“Twould that I not have inherited my title so soon.” She sighed, trailing her fingers nervously over the ducal ring on her right hand, somehow drawing strength from the action. “It is of that we must talk. Once again the peoples of the north have harried our lands and taken from us the lives and lands of our dearest kindred. Once again Aescia calls for aid. Will you once again forsake us?”

Wordlessly the Emperor Richard Draçir turned away and pulled once on a rope next to the throne, somewhere in the palace a massive gong boomed and within moments the imperial seneschal appeared in the doorway.

“Summon the general staff Onthare, and send note to the legions. We march upon the morrow.” He turned back to his slightly stunned guest and with a grim smile replied. “No my friend, we shall not forsake you.”

Imperial Budget Report, FY 1084

Total income FY 1083: 100 EP
Total re-invested 1083: 0 EP
Growth rate FY 1083: 40%
Total Income FY 1084: 100+0 = 100 EP

Bureaucracy: 9%; 9 EP
War: 36%; 36 EP
Internal Security: 5%; 5 EP
Re-investment: 50%; 50 EP

War Spending

Procurements:
5 Men at Arms – 30 EP

Upkeep
4 Peasants – 4 EP
1 Archers – 2 EP
1 Mounted Knights – 0 EP

Research
Basic Training
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 03:52   #64
lantadors evil twin
Retired

lantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these parts

Westhelm Castle, The Konigsmark

Hannah looked up from the message she had been reading. The recruiting across the country was going well, but the aemy was still too small. She stood and walked over to the table, on which lay a map of her kingdom. Several wooden blocks sat on the map, carved as miniature castles. These marked the helms, the capitals of each province. In the north sat a carved wooden knight, marking the position of the Osthelm Dragoons under Field Marshal Isenair, while in the south a carved spearman marked the Sunmark Brigade under Field Marshal Erienne. She had noted that both had switched to using their military ranks, instead of Lord Marshal, now that they were on the move. She also knew they only did it because she herself did not hold that title, having seconded her knights to the dragoons. She sighed and looked to the very southern edge of the map where a carved horseman marked her messenger. Hopefully she would get some news soon.

Antium, Heliosia

A lone horseman rode up to the northwest gates of the city and dismounted. He walked over to one of the guards and introduced himself.
"Greetings my friend. I hail from the Konigsmark, your neighbour to the north, and would speak with the lord and ruler of this place. May I enquire as to where I may find him?"
After receiving directions, he tied up his horse just outside the city, letting it graze on the wild grassland, and then set off to find the baron and negotiate a peace.
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 04:59   #65
Richpur
Just call me sir.

"From the north you say?" the guard states in that rather senseless manner of stating the obvious common to all too many people when dealing with the unexpected. "Never been to the north... Oh, the baron is inside, probably at the docks, just follow the main road in, you can't miss him."

This proves to be something of an understatement. As the messenger draws into sight the Baron jumps down from the deck of a fishing boat under construction and pulls his tunic onto his gigantic frame.

"A messenger from the corn-is-smart you say?" he quietly asks the man who called to him as he walks towards the subject of his enquiry. "Greetings, and welcome to Antia, eastmost province of Heliosia. I am the Baron Karum'dèr. Shall we adjourn anon to my house which, while humble, may serve as a better place for the discussion, which I perceive may be of some great import, and, as such, shouldst not be approached with undue haste, as would, I believe, be necessitated by our prescence on this rough wharf, for, if I am not deceived, the light already grows darker, and, methinks, will have retreated completely before completion of that discourse."
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 15:09   #66
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

ooc: Please note that I have editted my budget as well as other posts of mine to include a Trebuchet. I apologise if you were half way through DM'ing me but... well... yeah...

Current Military Status

----

Home Guard (Defending homeland)
Commander-in-chief
Lord Brend of Dawn (8/2/10/7)

200 Men-at-arms (1 Unit)
800 Peasants (4 Units)

Terra Australis Expeditonary Force (Abroad)
Commander-in-chief
Lord Gwain of the Barrow Downs (7/7/9/7)

600 Men-at-arms (3 Units)
600 Longbowmen (3 Units)
1 Trebuchet (1 Unit)

King's Guard (Abroad)
Commander-in-chief
King Hewitt the first of Terra Australis (*/4/4/4)

60 Mounted Knights (1 Unit)

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 18:28   #67
No Dachi

The War of the Southern Shore
As war breaks out throughout the northlands, King Lestat of the Kingdom of Lestoria has, seemingly on a whim, ordered the invasion of the Duchy of Estalia immediately to Lestoria's east. It was announced early, according to expectations, that Lord de Berre, a man renowned for his ability as a strategist and also for his loyalty to the Kingdom of Lestoria.

However, from the start it was clear that the King's hands-on involvement in the campaign would be a setback. King Lestat's first action - to send a domestic house servant to conduct recconaissence on the Estalian army - achieved very little other than to hold the Lestorian army in Lestoria. The man returned a month after being sent with a report which in effect detailed 'a large army' of 'around 800 spear, 400 sword, 400 bow and 200 horse'. This report was rather unhelpful to Lord de Berre; it told him no more than he would have learned on the field of battle, and since he would be able to change his tactics accordingly at that time anyway and had no way of changing his own force to best go against the Estalian one the report was rather useless. Nonetheless, with the report in de Berre was finally able to march, and march he did, with the sizeable Lestorian army going with him across the border and into Estalia.

The report neglected to mention the location of Prince Rembrandt's (heir to the throne, commander of the army,) force was, for the servant failed to mention the importance of it. With the Prince's force on the country's eastern border, Lord de Berre was free to cut a swathe of loot and pillage across the Estalian farmlands toward the capital. Here, however, he was stopped. The walls of the mighty fortress of Estia were thick and, although the defending garrison was meager, Lord de Berre had no siege weaponry with him. As such the army of Lestoria was forced to lay siege to the castle (it had well enough men to do this), and simply burn the buildings not encompassed by the curtain wall. This has caused some limited economic damage to Estalia, but leaves the Lestorians in a rather poor position, with the Estalian army approaching fast from the east and them divided in order to cover all approaches to the castle.

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 01:52   #68
Richpur
Just call me sir.

The Accords of Port Antium

Baron Karum Aldèr of Antium; representing Heliosia
Matthias Weston, Messenger of the Court; representing The Konigsmark

The aforementioned have preliminarily agreed on the following terms on behalf of their respective countries, subject to ratification by the rightful rulers of those places.

One; that there shall exist between our peoples a formal peace and recognition of our mutual borders.
Two; that embassies be established in our capitals to be linked with their home countries by way of messenger chains, those inside Heliosia to be established with the assistance of The Konigsmark.
Three; that the messenger network be expanded to include all provincial capitals in Heliosia.
Four; that our respective militaries send advisors to assist in the broadening of our defences.
Veterans from the second legion to journey to Konigshelm and undergo the training of infantry; accompanied by blacksmiths to train in the manufacture of these arms.
Riders and Breeders from the Ostmark to train cavalry regiments and supply horses for that purpose.
Five; that arms from Eryia be supplied to The Konigsmark until such time as their smiths may produce their own.
Six; that the Westmark supply lumber to Antium for the duration of the Aescian conflict.
Seven; that at some time future shipwrights from Antium assist in the establishment of ports in The Konigsmark.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 02:47   #69
lantadors evil twin
Retired

lantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these parts

ND: Just want to check a few things

1. Can we assume our personal stats are */4/4/4? If not, what are they?
2. Can we have an army with 2 generals, one to lead the battles and the other to deal with logistics? If not, why not
3. About economic growth. If income 1080 is 100, 10% reinvested and 40% growth, 1088 has 104 income (I think). Is 1016 then 100 + growth again or 104 + growth?
4. Can you keep the map up to date?
5. The original thread said we could use arbitrary 4/4/4/4 generals, this thread doesnt (unless I missed it somewhere). Can we use them or not?
6. When is time going to restart, its been 1084 for a long time now
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 09:25   #70
No Dachi

1. Yes
2. No, because it would defy the point of them having statistics to give them advantages and disadvantages.
3. Could you re-state that?
4. Not between DMing and schoolwork, no. I'll try to get it done soon.
5. Yes
6. When I finish the current round of battle DMings.

Unread 1 Feb 2004, 02:51   #71
Richpur
Just call me sir.

The sun rose between the mountains and cast it’s light down into the valley, gleaming off the armoured forms a full thousand soldiers marching down the slopes towards the plains of Eryx and the road north to Aescia. Waiting for them in the city below Richard was signing a document carried to him by runner from Antium; it was comforting to realise that though they were marching to war, peace was still breaking out.

“You will be certain to return this to the Konigsmark messenger at the fastest of paces.” It wasn’t quite a question, nor an order, merely a statement almost as though the matter was preordained. As such it required no response; the runner bowed quickly and left in that ambling lope which seemed to effortlessly eat up miles. In a way it seemed ironic to be using the man to carry a message tat would most likely render him obsolete before the turn of many more years.

Still, there was no time to ponder this coincidence of fate; the first of the columns was just now filing through the courtyard below, on their way to the city gate and great north road beyond. Richard sighed softly and put away his quill. At some time a man would say that the pen was mightier than the sword, but Richard was not that man, and this was not that time. He solemnly unwrapped the gold and black cape from his shoulders and draped it over the back of his seat before standing and moving to the centre of the room.

For the first time since his ascension to the imperial throne there was a threat to his country that could not be dealt with by the province alone. He had watched as his aging father had condemned the Aescian duchy to fend for itself and now he had seen the consequences of that decision; the province reduced to a mere fraction of its former glory and the almost total eradication of her ruling line.

As his breastplate was tightened into place he broke out of his reverie and silently took his thick belt from the aide before him, the strap wrapping twice around his waist and buckling on the right. The next aide hands him a long ebony scabbard, which Richard slots onto two thick studs on the belt and adjusts it till the weight hangs comfortably on his left hip.

Outside his horse was waiting at the bottom of the steps, smoothly he swung up into the saddle and rode off; the rest of the regiment falling in behind him as he made his way out through the gates. Swiftly they made their way to the head of the columns and led the troops onward. Already far off to the north was the young lady, whose plea had started them upon this journey; preparing the few soldiers she had left for their retribution. But she knew that they would not be alone.

For the first time in more than a generation, the empire was going to war.

_________

Summary: Invade forest country to north.

Duchess Ione Wacune of Aescul [4/7/8/4]
5 regiments Men-at-Arms
1 regiment Archers

Emperor Richard Draçir [*/4/4/4]
1 regiment Mounted Knights

_________

Earl Marcus Horsley of Gram [4/6/7/2] in charge of southern defence.
3 regiment Peasants
Unread 15 Feb 2004, 20:36   #72
No Dachi

I've fired that goddamned lazy Badger, so I'll be DMing some or all of the battles myself tomorrow.

Unread 16 Feb 2004, 18:12   #73
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

*ahem*

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 18:21   #74
No Dachi

'TOMORROW 'ISN'T OVER YET, HEWITT. I might still DM this today...

But I almost certainly won't

Unread 16 Feb 2004, 19:32   #75
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Erm... that wasn't what I was refering to but nm....

*leaves his DM application form on ND's desk then leaves whistling innocently*

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 20:05   #76
No Dachi

Sorry, I'm slightly insecure, you know? It's all these goddamned letter bombs that Inspectre keeps sending me...

Unread 17 Feb 2004, 13:22   #77
No Dachi

Announcement
Hewitt is now official assisstant DM. This means he does all my work for me. I will be DMing his battle but he'll be DMing all the others. That is all.

Unread 17 Feb 2004, 22:06   #78
Richpur
Just call me sir.

You do realise it would be less effort to do it yourself than to keep appointing people to not do it.
Unread 17 Feb 2004, 22:11   #79
No Dachi

I disagree. I posted here to inform Hewitt of it and PMed him, taking two minutes total. DMing the remaining battles myself would take anything from twenty minutes to an hour (no joke).

Unread 17 Feb 2004, 22:16   #80
lantadors evil twin
Retired

With the relevant stats, you can have it all dmed by computer in about 30 seconds, then just need to write a post for it. Could probably make the computer do part of that for you too
Unread 17 Feb 2004, 22:21   #81
No Dachi

Heh, well for one thing I don't have any programming ability whatsoever, and for another there's no way that stats could ever accurately portray a battle. Too much of what goes on is down to random events and human-made desicions that would be impossible to replicate.

Unread 17 Feb 2004, 22:53   #82
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point

I.E. DM's perogative.

Oh, and here's another letter for you, ND.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2004, 01:52   #83
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
Announcement
Hewitt is now official assisstant DM. This means he does all my work for me. I will be DMing his battle but he'll be DMing all the others. That is all.
And now the fun begins.

*commenses evil plotting, NPC style*

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 18 Feb 2004, 13:08   #84
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectre
I.E. DM's perogative.

Oh, and here's another letter for you, ND.
Oh no, you're not getting me that easily. Not a fifth time. Hewitt, as Assistant DM you get to open my letter from Inspectre.

*ND passes his letter to Hewitt*

Unread 19 Feb 2004, 12:47   #85
No Dachi

Hewitt, post by the start of the GMT tomorrow, or else I'll have no choice but to do the DMings myself. We need to move fast-ish.

Unread 19 Feb 2004, 16:05   #86
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Battle for the Aescian Forest

Having quickly assembled upon the plains of Eryx, the Eryian army led by Emperor Richard Draçir and his bodyguard sets out for the road to Aescul. The journey is quiet enough and after a few days the legion is nearing it's first destination when it starts coming across signs of battle. Burnt out homesteads and fire devestated clearings maring the otherwise peaceful scenery that passes by in the last few miles to Aescul. Upon arrival they are joined by a few additional troops and the stunning beautiful (assumably ) Duchess Ione Wacune.

There is a short rest for the legion as extra supplies are readied for the invasion. After a number of hours the large Heliosian Force leaves the relative safety of Aescul and under the command of the Duchess Wacune they push deeper into the dark forest beyond.

The march moves along an old dirt road that used to service the now abandoned Aescian villages. So far the going has been slow mainly thanks to the lumbering supply train. In the first day alone axles have been broken, wheels bogged and horses spooked. But so far no sign of the foreign attackers. By dusk a bored and tried mass of men look towards their leaders for the call to setup camp as a few grumbles and complaints begin to circulate. Suddenly however, a series of loud shouts emerge from the depths of the forest as a group of scouts rushes towards the army commanders.

A small and obviously battered group with one man missing a part of his arm.

One look at the group and the Duchess Wacune is immediately ordering the troops to prepare for attack but just as the words begin to pour from her lips a loud warcry sounding "For Darmania!!" goes up from the forest all around them. This is followed by a deadly wooden splinter storm of thrown javilins. There is a mad rush to get shields into position but as the small flying spears fall so to do many Heliosian soldiers. However, with a rallying cry from both Duchess and King the armoured soldiers are dispelled of there initial confusion and charge forth to meet the warbands rushing down upon them...

At the end of it all the battle takes no longer than ten minutes. After dueling with the Heliosian Emperor Richard Draçir for most of the duration of the short skirmish, the Darmanian war chieftian Hans von Lichenstein trips up his opponent () and calls for a retreat. However, the organised fashion in which the Darmanian warbands pull back suggests this is a pre-planned tactic but one which the Duchess Ione Wacune recognises from previous encounters. She orders pursuit not to be undertaken however, the few too far out to receive her order continue to chase the fleeing Darmanians.

None of them return.

----------------------------------------------------
The planned ambush struck a significant blow to the Heliosian army but thanks to the skill and preparation of the soldiers the cost is less than what would normally expected.

However, in the brief skirmish the inferiorly equiped Darmanians showed almost freakish talent when it came down to the fighting.

Heliosia
Forces involved
Duchess Ione Wacune of Aescul [4/7/8/4]
5 regiments Men-at-Arms (1000 men)
1 regiment Archers (200 men)

Emperor Richard Draçir [*/4/4/4]
1 regiment Mounted Knights (60 men)

losses
148 Men-at-arms
94 Archers
3 Knights

Darmania
Forces involved
Chieftan Hans von Lichenstein (4,6,2,10)
10 Warbands of Skirmishers (800 men)

losses
334 Skirmishers

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!

Last edited by Hewitt; 20 Feb 2004 at 17:28.
Unread 19 Feb 2004, 16:43   #87
No Dachi

Awaiting it eagerly.

Unread 19 Feb 2004, 18:04   #88
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

ooc: Done-diddly-done. So who's next eh?

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 19 Feb 2004, 18:42   #89
No Dachi

Next I do your battle, probably tonight, and then we can finally move on to 1085!

Unread 20 Feb 2004, 01:07   #90
lantadors evil twin
Retired

Hannah watched the ambassador's party leaving the city, heading off to establish their embassy in Heliosia. As they passed out of sight, she turned and walked back to the map that occupied the middle of the room.
She looked at the realm to her west, the forests that spread into westmark and covered most of konigsmark. There was trouble brewing that way, and she wondered if it would spread towards her. She glanced at the figures marking her armies, and then called a messenger.
"Send word to the dragoons. They are to march west to Norberg and stand ready at all times. Also, the sunmark brigade should return to Westhelm. Then, send messengers to all the towns of Westmark and Konigsmark. Inform them to keep the town watch alert, and to watch for suspicious characters in the forests. If there is any sign of trouble, they should send word to the helms. We must keep a close watch over the western border for a while."
The messenger bowed and left, heading for the scribes chamber elsewhere in the castle. After he had gone, Hannah went to find the lord of the castle. It was time to return to Konigshelm, but there were a few matters to sort out first.

ps: map of the mark is here: http://www.purne11.fsnet.co.uk/konigsmark.jpg

[ooc: That battle was excellent. I have never seen such a flagrant disregard for the realities of war. However, you missed a wonderful opportunity by assuming all the troops were marching in armour, it would have been an even better battle had the troops had to dash to don their armour before the javelins hit. Come to think of it, you could have assumed the troops were marching single file, which would have been even more exciting, a battle stretched across fifty miles of forest! However, I do applaud your assumptions that such a highly trained general forgot to deploy scouts, was not expecting an ambush, and failed to spot 800 troops sitting within throwing distance of her army.]
Unread 20 Feb 2004, 01:45   #91
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Richard brushes what is probably just an imaginary remnant of dirt from his armour and for probably the hundredth time since the battle mutters a few choice remarks about the appearance, sexual habits and probably ancestry of a certain war chieftain. He looked out from his tent at the bishop holding the service for the departed, his staff showing signs of its recent use. Richard smiled at the memory of his grace bestowing blessings with one hand while simultaneously smashing heads in with the badge of office in the other.

Somehow the number still hadn’t managed to sink in, two hundred and forty five, how did they ever manage to lose that many. It’s not as though the duchess was new to forest warfare, this was her home territory after all. Yet somehow a force of peasants with javelins had managed to cut off a good fraction of their strength. He turns away from the doorway and goes back into the marquee; from the look on Ione’s face she doesn’t have the answers either.

“How could this happen?” Richard asks the room in general.

“Well I’d guess it started when eight hundred men started throwing things at us when half our army was thinking more about where to pitch their tents than fighting.” replies Ione.

"We should have stopped earlier, you don't march that fast when tired and from the looks of it people don't fight well either.” Richard sighs, collapsing into his chair. “From now on we'll take it a bit slower, it won't make much difference how quickly we move if there's only thee and me left by the end of the week.

Richard winces slightly and shifts in the chair, falling off a horse and then dueling for ten minutes in full armour makes muscles ache you didn't know even existed.

"Ever think that God just doesn’t like us?”

“Don’t let Marcus hear you say that.” She laughs. “Are you sure he’s just a member of the clergy?”

“Not at all, he might even be the only grand bishop to have originated in the militant orders. I take it you noticed him earlier as well.”

“Who could miss that whirlwind of cassock and death?”

“Don’t let him hear you say that.” Richard replies, imitating her tone.

………….

The next day the army opens its collective eyes and after assembling the ranks they move on into the wood. The emperor on horseback with Duchess Ione Wacune and Grand Bishop Marcus Biagio, accompanied by the knights of the imperial bodyguard; all of them have had enough duels for the time being, although Richard has resharpened his sword, just in case that accursed warmonger happens to feel like a rematch.

[edit] Changed dialogue to reflect intended interpretation of the dm post, I still think you need dropping into the middle ages for a while, after being knocked off my horse I'd most likely have problems standing, let alone dueling with someone for ten minutes, it's more probably I fell over from exhaustion than he tripped me [/edit]

Last edited by Richpur; 20 Feb 2004 at 12:12.
Richpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2004, 06:28   #92
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantadors evil twin
[ooc: That battle was excellent. I have never seen such a flagrant disregard for the realities of war. However, you missed a wonderful opportunity by assuming all the troops were marching in armour, it would have been an even better battle had the troops had to dash to don their armour before the javelins hit. Come to think of it, you could have assumed the troops were marching single file, which would have been even more exciting, a battle stretched across fifty miles of forest! However, I do applaud your assumptions that such a highly trained general forgot to deploy scouts, was not expecting an ambush, and failed to spot 800 troops sitting within throwing distance of her army.]
Is that sarcasm? I truely hope not for your sake since I'll probably be the one DM'ing your battles in future.

I must admit however that with writing at 1am on a day after a three hour calculus exam that started at 9am was probably not a good idea since some points here have obviously been misinterpreted. so hopefully the following should clarify a few things.

- You see the part "a group of scouts rushes towards the army commanders". Well they were Heliosian scouts or at least what was left of them. The Duchess had indeed sent forth scouts for her army but the Darmanian's managed to hunt down a kill most of them before the alert had been raised.

- I would've assumed the army was marching single file if the leader was a pompus idiot. The fact that Duchess Ione Wacune has a high defense rating suggests a better marching order would've been taken.

- From the Heliosian racial stats and the recent addition of basic training I assumed the army was dispilined and sturdy enough to be wearing their armour whilst on the march. Your army men ET on the other hand......

- When I wrote the battle I was thinking of the battlefield as a disused forest road wide enough to allow wagons to go by with DENSE forest on either side. It was also dusk.

- You might think of ordinary skirmishers as merely suped up peasents... but these are my special Darmanian Skirmishers. Rather nasty these Darmanians, yes but then that's what I assume most gothic-style barbarian tribes are...

So Richpur if this brings any new things to light feel free to edit your post. I appologise for the inconvience but you must understand that if I included every small detail I would still be in the process of writing your battle post.

Oh and your duel with the Darminian Chiefian Richpur was initiated by him knocking you flat off your horse when you weren't looking. It either that or a javalin killed your horse so you decide.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!

Last edited by Hewitt; 20 Feb 2004 at 06:43.
Unread 20 Feb 2004, 08:51   #93
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Insane. Badger can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantadors evil twin

[ooc: That battle was excellent. I have never seen such a flagrant disregard for the realities of war.
Don't be ridiculous, you've participated in colonies
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Insane. Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2004, 13:53   #94
No Dachi

Woah, woah, woah. Any formal complaints that players wish to make against the Asssistant DM will be made to me via PM, and will not be made in the thread. Hewitt, if you feel you can't meet deadlines then tell me and I'll see about arranging something to help, yes?

IB
What are you doing here? Just random posting to kill time?

Unread 20 Feb 2004, 13:58   #95
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Bah, don't worry about me, just randomly grumbling 'tis all.

Anywho, enough inane chatter. On with the story! er, I mean stories... yeah.......

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 20 Feb 2004, 16:21   #96
No Dachi

EDIT: Wait a minute, Hewitt, were you invading northwards or westwards?

Last edited by No Dachi; 20 Feb 2004 at 16:28.
Unread 20 Feb 2004, 16:27   #97
No Dachi

Hewitt
Incidentally, the maximum stat of any General for one attribute is 10. A logstical capability of 12 is impossible.

Unread 20 Feb 2004, 17:27   #98
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Oh... well I'll make it 10 then.

And to answer your first question it was north to Aescul first then north west into foreign lands.

And if you want to get REALLY technical the battle was just beyond the border on foreign occupied land yet I still called it the battle of aescian forest since richpur mentions in his Rp'ing that some land had been lost in earlier wars.

If you have anymore questions send me a PM.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 20 Feb 2004, 18:07   #99
No Dachi

No, which way were you. Terra Australis, invading? Were you invading the region north of you, or the one to your west? Becuase the one to your north is Lakhim and the one to your west has been invaded by Lestat (though not successfully, so you could still take it from under his nose).

Unread 20 Feb 2004, 19:08   #100
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Insane. Badger can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
IB
What are you doing here? Just random posting to kill time?
I'm making a constructive contribution to the thread.
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Insane. Badger is offline   Reply With Quote