User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Jun 2007, 01:36   #1
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
Fleet slot in tech tree

would you like to see a new tech branch for an additional fleet slot ?

- research 1: docking slot, you can move your ships from the base to protect them from enemy fire
- research 2: upgrade to ingal travel slot
- research 3: upgrade to incluster travel
- research 4: upgrade to universe travel
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 08:24   #2
Juffled

Juffled has a spectacular aura aboutJuffled has a spectacular aura about
Re: Fleet slot in tech tree

the idea of an extra fleet slot has been discussed before and the the general opinion was that it would be too much of a bonus for the active ppl,

if it was done so that you choose between eta and fleet slot then ok but not both i suppose
R6 - [Fury]
R19/20/21 - [TGV]
R22 - [Ascendency]
Juffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 11:54   #3
AdmV0rl0n

AdmV0rl0n is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
would you like to see a new tech branch for an additional fleet slot ?

- research 1: docking slot, you can move your ships from the base to protect them from enemy fire
- research 2: upgrade to ingal travel slot
- research 3: upgrade to incluster travel
- research 4: upgrade to universe travel

The tree could be expanded a great deal. As could the factories.

1. Fleet Radar Upgrade. Allows ships to leave factory airspace.
2. Ship Guidance Upgrade. Allows vessels initial guidance for orbital operations.
3. Galactic Guidance Upgrade. This upgrade increases the computational capabilities of the Ship guidance systems so Galactic Operations can take place.
4. Flight formation interconnect technology. This techology Allows Fighter class vessels to operate in fleet operations and ensures no collisions occur. Increases the number of fighters you can put in a fleet from 5 to unlimited.
5. Flight formation interconnect technology. This techology Allows Corvette class vessels to operate in fleet operations and ensures no collisions occur. Increases the number of Corvettes and Fighters you can put in a fleet from 5 to unlimited.
6. Flight formation interconnect technology. This techology Allows Frigate class vessels to operate in fleet operations and ensures no collisions occur. Increases the number of Frigates, Corvettes, and Fighters you can put in a fleet from 5 to unlimited.
7. Flight formation interconnect technology. This techology Allows Destroyer class vessels to operate in fleet operations and ensures no collisions occur. Increases the number of Destroyers, Frigates, Corvettes, and Fighters you can put in a fleet from 5 to unlimited.
8. Flight formation interconnect technology. This techology Allows Cruiser class vessels to operate in fleet operations and ensures no collisions occur. Increases the number of Cruiser, Destroyer, Frigates, Corvettes, and Fighters you can put in a fleet from 5 to unlimited.
9. Flight formation interconnect technology. This techology Allows Battleship class vessels to operate in fleet operations and ensures no collisions occur. Increases the number of Battleship, Cruiser, Destroyer, Frigates, Corvettes, and Fighters you can put in a fleet from 5 to unlimited.

You could add more layers, so that each upgrade caters for in Gal, In cluster, and in Universe upgrades.

I am not a fan of having tech trees that are simply done, and thats it. I like tech trees that are longer than the game, and that mean players are strategically challenged by their tech trees, and their choices have affects in the actual gameplay.

I would like to see all the technology in the game available to every player, but obviously, as a race, you get your base tech first, and the rest comes later, no doubt via tech tree, stealing technology, or some science tech tree that players might have access to.
AdmV0rl0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 12:21   #4
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juffled
the idea of an extra fleet slot has been discussed before and the the general opinion was that it would be too much of a bonus for the active ppl,

if it was done so that you choose between eta and fleet slot then ok but not both i suppose

So, you dont like this cause it gives active people an edge.
How do you feel about multiple factories then?

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 12:50   #5
AdmV0rl0n

Quote:

Well its a two sided thing really. Yes, it means players have more flexibility. On the other hand, it would have knock on effects, more ships out, smaller fleet sizes potentially, more action, trickier strategies.

An in active player would gain an advantage, if the active player sends a smaller fleet his way, only to be busted.
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 13:02   #6
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I dont like that kind of idea. Instead I prefer a flexible system where you have an "unlimited" amount of fleetslots. Basically you could send out a million one ship fleets or something with what I have in mind, it'd work a lot like in real time strategy games, where you do not have a concept of "slots" but simply order your units around as you wish.
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 13:06   #7
Juffled

I think the reasons given against it

(and i would like to point out allfather that if you actually read my post you see i dont ever say its a bad idea but the idea has been thrashed about a lot and the general opinion is that it is/was a bad idea, also i am left wandering why you put such an open ended question about more factories which doesnt really effect activity in the slightest anyway in a thread which is nothing to do about factories when there is a perfectly good thread for you to go flame the idea there instead of trying to derail this one)

back on topic, the reasons given i think revolved around

the bigger planets could get bigger, the smaller planets would get smaller,

again as i said i dont think you should get a 5th fleet slot for free, maybe have it at the expense of another area (like we have with dists or finance centres, or now factories, dists and finance centres).

If you want to attack more you in theory get more xp and roids so loosing any bonus you get from having finance centres or say mines.

You cant just have a 5th fleet slot imo

and in reply to heartless, that could be easily abused obviously (imagine the amount of fakes you could do) but would be limited if for instance you had a non linear fuel formula, so for each additional ship you add to the fleet the fuel cost drops slightly for that ship. e.g. total fuel for that fleet = (ship 1 fuel cost) + (ship 2 fuel cost * 0.99) + (ship 3 fuel cost * 0.98) etc but then we get back onto the eonium shortages that were abundant in the early rounds.
R6 - [Fury]
R19/20/21 - [TGV]
R22 - [Ascendency]
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 14:57   #8
AdmV0rl0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
I dont like that kind of idea. Instead I prefer a flexible system where you have an "unlimited" amount of fleetslots. Basically you could send out a million one ship fleets or something with what I have in mind, it'd work a lot like in real time strategy games, where you do not have a concept of "slots" but simply order your units around as you wish.
Frankly, I agree. Fleet slots are wholly artificial limitations. They are probably there for various reasons, but generals should be able to deploy their troops how they see fit. How is PA any different.

'Oh, Sir',
'Yes?'
'There are 2909897889 Incoming warships on scope sir'
'Hmmm. How many vessels are at home at this time?'
'I count 2456, sir'
'Tell them to evacuate to the nearest allied planet.'
'I can't sir'
'What do you mean?'
'Well sir, you launched three missions last night and you only have three fleet slots, so, those ships can't move'
'I don't get it, why is that, they are capable of space flight, they have engines, fuel, whats the problem!?'

Unread 20 Jun 2007, 15:04   #9
Juffled

its not really a simulator game though is it......
R6 - [Fury]
R19/20/21 - [TGV]
R22 - [Ascendency]
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 15:07   #10
AdmV0rl0n

Quote:
its not really a simulator game though is it......
Its meant to be a wargame, though, is it not.
And war is a diverse, complex thing. Some of you really seem unhappy with that.
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 15:46   #11
Juffled

i agree its meant to be a war game but you have to have limits to certain things in a text based turn based game, if it were an rts then fair enough
R6 - [Fury]
R19/20/21 - [TGV]
R22 - [Ascendency]
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 15:58   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

PA is not turn based though. And even if it was, I fail to see how that makes any difference.

The only thing I have against more than 3 (or even unlimited) fleets in the current system, is that it'd make faking a lot more effective, which will hopelessly overpower Xan. This could however easily be solved by finally letting go of the race-based special abilities thing (emp, cloak, steal, etc), and instead basically making each race Etd-like, or even abolishing races altogether.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 16:31   #13
AdmV0rl0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
PA is not turn based though. And even if it was, I fail to see how that makes any difference.

The only thing I have against more than 3 (or even unlimited) fleets in the current system, is that it'd make faking a lot more effective, which will hopelessly overpower Xan. This could however easily be solved by finally letting go of the race-based special abilities thing (emp, cloak, steal, etc), and instead basically making each race Etd-like, or even abolishing races altogether.
If the above is right, and I'm not saying it is, thats not a reason for eliminating the races. Its a reason for developing new interesting things in tech trees, and beyond that, its merely a balance issue.

The other side of this has to also be said, Xan have the flimsy vessels, if the xan players spread themselves thinly with many fleets, they lose a LOT of what little firepower they might have to begin with.

Whats more scary early in game, a Xan who is hitting you early cos they have their FI tech working, and have three fleets with 1 k each, or 3k split 10 ways?

---

That aside, watching the speedgame being played has been a heap of fun. I can understand why its tweaked against zik in some regard, but seriously, a race that has no Anti Fi until Frig chassis AND has its salvage wrecked at the others side of sale, and thats before covering having the stealer ships actually dying when they steal, I sincerely hope the anti zik moves don't traverse further.
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 16:54   #14
Juffled

sorry i didnt mean turn based i meant step based, its not a continuous game anyway
R6 - [Fury]
R19/20/21 - [TGV]
R22 - [Ascendency]
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 18:49   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmV0rl0n
If the above is right, and I'm not saying it is, thats not a reason for eliminating the races. Its a reason for developing new interesting things in tech trees, and beyond that, its merely a balance issue.
Indeed it isn't. The reason for removing races in favour of another system is that the other system could potentially (depending on the system of course) be more interesting. And if that system would allow removal of fleets as a limiting factor, it could easily be a better system as well. In fact, even if it didn't, the sheer advantage of not needing to balance stats as rigorously as now would make it preferable over the current system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmV0rl0n
The other side of this has to also be said, Xan have the flimsy vessels, if the xan players spread themselves thinly with many fleets, they lose a LOT of what little firepower they might have to begin with.

Whats more scary early in game, a Xan who is hitting you early cos they have their FI tech working, and have three fleets with 1 k each, or 3k split 10 ways?
I said faking, not splitting.

Quote:
sorry i didnt mean turn based i meant step based, its not a continuous game anyway
But how does this change anything? After all, RTS's are also step based, the steps are just very small (how long does initiating the smallest ingame action take?). In fact, even in real life, everything is step based. The size of the steps clearly makes no difference.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 19:34   #16
AdmV0rl0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Indeed it isn't. The reason for removing races in favour of another system is that the other system could potentially (depending on the system of course) be more interesting. And if that system would allow removal of fleets as a limiting factor, it could easily be a better system as well. In fact, even if it didn't, the sheer advantage of not needing to balance stats as rigorously as now would make it preferable over the current system.
The races merely add interest to the game. The tech tree should do the game. As for the issue of differences between the races, these differences should be there, but solvable over time. In war, sides find new methods of finding advantage, and of nullifying others advantages.

The balance issues should be solvable by the players. It may require time, tech tree developments, and strategy. The current balance in game is warped, and actually boring. And through games, it should be a case of people getting the upper hand, occasionally.

In the case of Xan, its currently handled by scans. When you reach a certain level of scans, Xan loses much of its advantage. And this really should be how the game works.
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 21:34   #17
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Races should only resort to modificators, not necessarily to different ships. It would be cool if fleets could be composed by a tech tree again, but I guess that's just not going to happen ;(
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 22:40   #18
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Great idea - give people just 1 or two fleet slots at first and make them research to get to the full 3. I think this is a really good idea - do you race for CR/BS or 3 attack fleets ?
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 22:57   #19
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think this is a terrible idea.
Unread 21 Jun 2007, 00:56   #20
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
Great idea - give people just 1 or two fleet slots at first and make them research to get to the full 3. I think this is a really good idea - do you race for CR/BS or 3 attack fleets ?
I was thinking of a 4th slot, but your idea is indeed better...
Unread 23 Jun 2007, 08:45   #21
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

SpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really nice

This is indeed a terrible idea.

Limiting the fleet slots is actually limiting the fun in the game. You get more easily "stuck at base" or feeling useless : "I have your anti-XX but no slot "

3 slots + base is a limit already, nothing smaller please... A research for a 4th slot would be nice.