User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Jan 2004, 11:43   #1
bjwroi
Uni N00b

bjwroi is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation W A P

Pls bring back WAP

People say about people being at a disadvantage when they aint got WAP enabled fones, but then they may be at a pc all day while others can't, or may not be able to get near a pc once a day even.

Can it please be discussed & considered, well me for one can't get net access every day & night in uni halls without going over till uni all the time, or gettin a 12 month contract for a fone line then a isp for say 5 months worth.

I for one would be willing to pay a little extra to have this feature, but it would need to be practically as good as the web to be of use. As cant get on web over sometimes for extended periods, last time dont think could do scans or assign ships to fleets.

Need to be able to scan,roid & newsie at least
Construct & research,mine roids
produce ships,assign to fleets,send fleets
see a gal stat and have some sort of acess to AH

Some fones can even have pictures on them now, my 7210 for instance, but some other wap fones do not so i think that was an excuse for it not bein implemented for a while (the bot protection images).
Unread 16 Jan 2004, 13:31   #2
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Re: W A P

It might be worth thinking about as an extra, but ath the moment, i think getting the game running is a priority. I shall add it to the list of things to look into thou (maybe if a different payment scheme was implemented)

It'd be a very basic thing thou to cover all wap phones, some of the extra features ur thinking about might be using more like a normal browser on the phone over GPRS instead of WAP as such?

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2004, 14:13   #3
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

When PA had WAP access I didnt mind it even though I didnt have WAP access, HOWEVER I have to say I went off the WAP idea when the majority of the pro WAP users ended up putting so much pressure on Spinner to drop the SMS message feature they had spent alot of time working on. It just seemed totally hypocrtical of them to complain about this system when they had access to a much more powerful version of it on their WAP enabled phone (after all they could check status every hour, they could send ships and start building things, the SMS feature was only going to warn you when an attack happened that exceeded your trigger levels ie you had to set a Fleet size and Eta figures, so if i choose 1000 and 6 I would only be informed when a fleet larger than 1000 ships was eta 6 away. And with each warning costing you a credit you couldnt afford to set the ETA too high or fleet size too low else you would be flushing money down the drain)

Anyway imho WAP should only return IF other methods of warning and play are added such as SMS warning, ICQ warning ect ect so that as many people as possible have a way of having some kind of real life while being able to get some kind of updates if theirs a major event happening
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2004, 15:24   #4
bjwroi
Uni N00b

bjwroi is an unknown quantity at this point

mmmmm,the sms thing.I think people were opposed to it as it could actually wake you when your sleeping while WAP is more like on web where you have to log in and check.

SMS warnings would be nice though,just make it difficult for most attacks to get through totally unnoticed. Honestly would think WAP would be higher on priorities as would need good degree of net access already to take advantage of the sms feature.

ICQ, you'd prob already be on the web & likely planetarion site anyhow so it prob be a bit of effort for nothing i think personnally.Same would be true for most Instant Messagers probably, unless work pc was restricted from PA like our school was Means gotta run down to nearest net cafe or broadband fone box and get sorted :P

Mit, honestly dunno wat way these fones work now :-s says mine GPRS but dont think can access normal webpages like a normal browser. WAP standard would be best as if some fones can work like a normal browser as you say then honestly they could just use normal site couldnt they???
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 12:15   #5
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough

GPRS is getting more used than WAP nowadays anyay, or am i wrong?

My point is that debating the OLD points of 'not fair' isnt valid anymore with GPRS becoming more common. (just pointing out)
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 13:04   #6
Churchil5
Newly Reformed

Churchil5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm all for this idea, and I think a lot of people would be. I'm one of those people to dont get much access to the internet, but when i do I always check my Planetarion account. A lot of people like me who dont get the chance to access PA are losing out to the big guns because of this disadvantage. And again we go back to PA's need for wider appeal and longetivity. With easier access this would surely put PA a step above the rest?? Surely???
Churchil5 is offline   Reply With Quote