User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:31   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Sooo, free forum software...

Anyone know any decent stuff?
I can't seem to remember any of them...
Oh yes, and it needs to run on Microsoft IIS based hosting.

Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:04   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Sooo, free forum software...

asp forums. ive seen some somewhere. google for them.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:36   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If they're got php installed, phpBB is the best open-source forum I've used.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:41   #4
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Anyone know any decent stuff?
I can't seem to remember any of them...
Oh yes, and it needs to run on Microsoft IIS based hosting.

if you have PHP / mySQL - which is very possible on Windows IIS (I used to have that setup for Dev and old toolkit host)

phpBB (www.phpbb.com) is probably the best.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 15:09   #5
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Not a forum per se but actually a fully fledged portal, with forum and news panes, polls etc..

www.maxwebportal.com

Also its ASP so fitting for IIS.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 14:22   #6
Icedude
bored

Icedude is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at this one: http://www.webwizguide.info/forum/default.asp

Download links on the left, uses ASP on IIS with either Access 2000 db, or SQL server 2000.

Great support, migration is easy, had no probs running mine for last few months.

And its free.
Icedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2003, 00:14   #7
Tweakster
I'm back baby!

Tweakster is an unknown quantity at this point

You simply can not beat vBulletin. With that said, it isn't free, so not always an option.

Of the free forum suites out there, my favorite is (IPB) Invisionboards. It has the most (and most needed) functionality out of the big names most people will probably suggest. The closest runner up currently (imo), and also just as popular, is phpBB (already mentioned). Until phpBB releases phpBB 2.2 though, it will lack many popular features found in other forum suites.

Both of the above use PHP and MySQL (possibly other DB's available), but assuming those are both free and run on windows, I would assume they will work for your windows hosting. If not, you will need to go with an ASP solutions most likely, which I have never really dealt with. I have seen many of them though and they don't seem to be quite as modern and feature rich as the PHP/MySQL brand, likely because of the community backing one obviously has over the other

For a pretty recent and decent article on this topic check this out. It's a forum software review on sitepoint.com. Even if it is a little overly opinionated, you still get a look at most of the features It includes PHP, ASP and CGI (in this case perl) solutions.