User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 21 Jul 2008, 13:39   #51
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

SteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to behold
Re: Planetarion Suggestion/Bitch Thread - Please read & reply!!!

I'd like to see that when you stop covert ops, the news tell you what they tried to do.

If you stopped the agents, i have no problem with my agents beating the crap out of the other agents to get that information.

Proud to be Newdawn
SteInMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2008, 14:02   #52
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

u can see what the hostile agents wanted to do from the histroy page atm as well
Unread 21 Jul 2008, 14:09   #53
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey View Post
If you are going to encourage people who don't speak a certain language to sign up then thats fine but you need to give them a way to realistically integrate with the rest of the community.
Or go the other way entirely; host a Planetarion World Cup and encourage a bit of national animosity for a laugh.

Quote:
Otherwise PATeam may as well just add thousands of bot planets around as they will do the same job
Shhhhh.
Unread 21 Jul 2008, 14:18   #54
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

SteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by neroon View Post
u can see what the hostile agents wanted to do from the histroy page atm as well
Yeah, im just annoyed that first i have to read news cause its red, then i have to go to history to figure out what he wanted..

Proud to be Newdawn
Unread 21 Jul 2008, 18:05   #55
Jamie_Omac
Omac

Jamie_Omac has a spectacular aura aboutJamie_Omac has a spectacular aura about

Hi guys,

Re: the banners, I'm going through the functionality of the game so see what's what, the banners in free games were only on temporarily to see how they integrated, and regardless they won't be floating like that when they return.

Bear with us!

Jamie
Jamie_Omac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2008, 19:52   #56
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

with the banners I dont know about others but with pa on my computer I have loads of room with nothing in it at the right hand side, why not have a banner on the side like there is on these forums? I realise this may however be a problem on mobile devices.

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2008, 20:47   #57
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

TBh when you see the banners that keep getting shown I have to wonder WHY we even have banners. All the ever seem to be doing is advertising rival games. If these games came on this forum and posted links as a Mod I would be expected to remove them yet we give them big flashy graphics on the forums and game to attract customers away.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2008, 22:06   #58
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh, Adblock Plus, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neroon View Post
While this is true, it would be suitable if it could be found in ones news as well.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 00:49   #59
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Personally i think that the game has three issues that prevent it from beging more fun.

- The public communications means (aka, this forum) are loaded with hostile and pathetic threads and posts, coming from a relatively small group of people. And despite some vague attemtps from some higher placed individuals, nothing much is done about it. This game is a very very hostile environment for players who would like to play the game. And don't give me that crap that new players don;t go away because of such things. I have heard repeatedly from newcomers, this was THE big problem for them.

- Lack of Dedicated support/investments from Jolt in the past.

- The current number of players is too low
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 01:39   #60
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
- The public communications means (aka, this forum) are loaded with hostile and pathetic threads and posts, coming from a relatively small group of people. And despite some vague attemtps from some higher placed individuals, nothing much is done about it. This game is a very very hostile environment for players who would like to play the game. And don't give me that crap that new players don;t go away because of such things. I have heard repeatedly from newcomers, this was THE big problem for them.
I will simply respond that Remy is incredibly biased in this matter as he had his own incompetencies revealed, discussed and shouted to the hilltops on this very forum.
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 07:11   #61
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

He's right about the forum being hostile to newcomers though.
His "incompetence" has nothing to do with that really...

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 07:22   #62
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

overall, I dont find the forums or the community to be too hostile.

I am yet to talk with a guy which says the community is what drove him away. On the other hand I ve talked with shitloads who says we are why they bother to stay around.

The problem with Planetarion isnt the community, never has been.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 07:30   #63
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem! View Post
He's right about the forum being hostile to newcomers though.
His "incompetence" has nothing to do with that really...
More like being hostile to retards. People asking valide questions actually showing some interest to the game, I feel are being treated as they should be.

Quote:
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 09:44   #64
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

If you cant handle the english language you are not allowed to post on this forum.
Thats what ive learned.
And you ***** claim its no hostility in this forum?

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 10:15   #65
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball View Post
I will simply respond that Remy is incredibly biased in this matter as he had his own incompetencies revealed, discussed and shouted to the hilltops on this very forum.
point proven. i talked in a general way, and you respond attacking a person (in this case me, which i personnaly dont care about).
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 10:42   #66
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
point proven. i talked in a general way, and you respond attacking a person (in this case me, which i personnaly dont care about).
He apparantly claim u posted because of previous attacks on urself seing as he doesnt agree with the forums being that hostile. Or the community.

thing is though, when u are in position of "power" people will treat u differently.

Quote:
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 10:50   #67
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

its replies like these which make me wonder if it would be a better idea to simply close the forum down entirely and save money on servers, bandwidth and licensing for vbulletin.
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 11:12   #68
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Does anyone care to point me in the direction of these widespread hostile threads coming from a small group of people? I'm confused as to where I can find them

I'm trying to think of the people I know or knew fairly well who quit PA. A few of them quit because they didn't have the time anymore even in the sense of logging in a few times a day (on this note PA isn't really very good if that's all you do). A good number of them quit when PA went pay to play in r5 (in general these people don't spend much/any time playing online games so I'd say that demographic has been lost). A couple of them don't play because when they do they find it practically takes over their lives. A decent few quit because PAteam became a fundamentally boring game played along very formulaic lines and therefore is about as exciting as buttering toast. One quit because he felt he was deleted unfairly by pateam. I have, quite literally, never met a single person on any level from any of the fairly wide group of friends I've played with at one time or another, who quit because they felt the community was hostile.

Realistically we're all very bitter and cynical. It's a lot easier than being hard-working and enthusiastic. I'd really recommend that our new owners read everything we write. It's also a lot easier to blame others than it is to accept blame ourselves. It's rather amusing how nobody ever steps up and goes "yo, it's my fault, i could have done more but I didn't".
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 13:00   #69
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie,

There's too much good stuff that has been posted over the last few years to remember. Reading through the suggestions forum would be a good start.

There's also a ton of good ideas on the Development forum, but I don't know if you have access to that yet or not. You might look into it.

I've posted my thoughts mostly on the Development forum so I won't rehash them here. My biggest complaint with PA right now is having to wake up in the middle of the night to check stuff, send defense, etc...which simply doesn't fit in with my work schedule. I also don't have a lot of desire to revolve my life around a game.

I do play currently, but haven't launched a single fleet, and all my roids are initiated! The ongoing speedgames are a more attractive feature to me, because I can sit down for a couple hours and play, then fk off back to reality without worrying about some numbers in a database.

Also, the game mechanics really haven't changed much, and there's nothing new and interesting to do in-game anymore.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 13:13   #70
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Does anyone care to point me in the direction of these widespread hostile threads coming from a small group of people? I'm confused as to where I can find them

I'm trying to think of the people I know or knew fairly well who quit PA. A few of them quit because they didn't have the time anymore even in the sense of logging in a few times a day (on this note PA isn't really very good if that's all you do). A good number of them quit when PA went pay to play in r5 (in general these people don't spend much/any time playing online games so I'd say that demographic has been lost). A couple of them don't play because when they do they find it practically takes over their lives. A decent few quit because PAteam became a fundamentally boring game played along very formulaic lines and therefore is about as exciting as buttering toast. One quit because he felt he was deleted unfairly by pateam. I have, quite literally, never met a single person on any level from any of the fairly wide group of friends I've played with at one time or another, who quit because they felt the community was hostile.

Realistically we're all very bitter and cynical. It's a lot easier than being hard-working and enthusiastic. I'd really recommend that our new owners read everything we write. It's also a lot easier to blame others than it is to accept blame ourselves. It's rather amusing how nobody ever steps up and goes "yo, it's my fault, i could have done more but I didn't".
Do you not think your attitude on this has alot to do with your circle of 'friends' in this game. They are the more experienced crowd and some are the very people who are hostile to many less experienced players. As such they aren't the people who are mostly effected by hostility. The hostility in the game (and the forums are only the tip of the iceberg) does discourage alot of new players from becoming invested in the game
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 13:45   #71
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey View Post
Do you not think your attitude on this has alot to do with your circle of 'friends' in this game. They are the more experienced crowd and some are the very people who are hostile to many less experienced players. As such they aren't the people who are mostly effected by hostility. The hostility in the game (and the forums are only the tip of the iceberg) does discourage alot of new players from becoming invested in the game
No. I didn't really play at the top level back before I quit pa for an extended period post r5. A lot of the people I played with then were guys I knew in real life (a grand total of zero of whom play nowadays). When I restarted playing the first couple of rounds I spent solo in a shit gal and as part of subh respectively. Whenever I play actively I make the most effort I've ever seen anyone making (trying to avoid sounding like I'm totally up my own ass here but it's true) to integrate new players into the galaxy. The reason people don't keep playing this game is because it takes an inordinately lengthy period of time to get to the really interesting parts of the game. The surface stuff is time-consuming, pretty boring due to the amount of time it takes for things to happen and not really that varied.
Unread 23 Jul 2008, 13:54   #72
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie_Omac View Post
I am going to use the next round to have a decent discussion about Planetarion good and bad. It would be really helpful if I can ask that all of you who are serious Planetarion fans, as well as those of you who play it from time to time go out and get someone else you know who used to play the game but quit.

They don't have to rejoin the game (it would be helpful and give a decent boost to numbers for the next round if they did though), but I do want to hear why they left, if they would come back to playing the game, and if not, why.
First, go read some of Kathy Sierra's stuff. Then realize PA has very passionate users. Unfortunately game development the last year or two has been as much about killing that passion as it has been about balancing the game. Whenever people find something to be passionate about (both for and against!), the designers (whoever they were at the time) have sought to remove the feature or remove the aspects of the feature that make people passionate. This is a mistake.

Don't make that mistake.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2008, 12:28   #73
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya thought since I am about at the moment I would come say hello.

I have played planetarion from round 2 - 16 i think it was with 1 or 2 games missed in there somewere.

I mainly quit planetarion due to lack of sleep and unable to keep on playing a constant 24 hour game where if someone isnt checking every hour then pfft your roids or ships(pre-launch has kinda fixed that) are gone and then you spend the next 3-4 days launching attacks on people getting defence constantly hoping there galaxy misses that 1 hour that can make all the difference.

I have been near the top and can say back in the day i was a fairly good player but to be honest if a new player signs up at the moment then they are just signing up to be roid farms for all the veterans out there.

I signed up for this round because its free and you can find me pretty easy it isnt hard. I have been exiled 4 times so far and when I went into vacation i also got exiled once forced out of vacation whilst on holiday.

I was happy to see that i had been forced out of protection a good while after entering it then seeing on overview if i disagree then i should apply.... I was on holiday I could not really contest it now could I? Not very nice to come back and see you have been exiled forced out of protection with no warning for going on holiday for a week.

I dont know what happened to ship prices also they seemed to have dropped a very lot. I find it bit hmm whats the word different i guess but it does make the game a whole lot harder when in the old days you would loose 50 out of 200 ships and still land(example) seems now the numbers are bigger because prices are cheaper that landing you will loose a shed load more ships which even though it might = the same, seeing them big numbers is kinda off putting.

Anyways tldr

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2008, 17:28   #74
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Most of my suggestions are on the dev forum so I won't go into details here but basically:
1. Someone with clear strategic vision plotting a clear product development path for PA.
2. A better integrated communication method other then IRC needs to be implemented that allows new players to not have to figure out how to use IRC as most of the world doesn't use IRC any more. Plenty of suggestions in various places on this one.
3. A passport system that allows users to retain meaningless but psychologically important medals and statistics from one round to the next. This would help a ton with player retention.
4. A significant investment of resource to implement the above ideas and other development goals (many already in the dev forum).
5. Advertisement of the great PA community after point 2 and 3 have been accomplished, advertising before then would be a waste of money in my opinion.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2008, 07:06   #75
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
3. A passport system that allows users to retain meaningless but psychologically important medals and statistics from one round to the next. This would help a ton with player retention.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAH

(Sorry, I can't help myself, it happens every time someone mentions the passport system.)

(PS. God just killed a kitten because of you.)

(PPS. It was a very cute kitten )
Unread 25 Jul 2008, 08:35   #76
Wishmaster
LDK

I dont see the harm in the system. Alot of people like shit like that. Epenis enlargment

( mine is big enough as it is! )

Quote:
Unread 25 Jul 2008, 09:27   #77
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt he's laughing with the concept of the passport, I think he's more laughing with the fact that this has been suggested for years (even claimed to be nearly ready for years) and it's never been completed put in the actual game.

I might be horribly wrong though

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2008, 10:09   #78
Anyone
Anyone

Anyone is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep jpgs, pre-launches, xp and random+bp gals.
Remove "only gained score since joining a galaxy is counted", it's ok for allies, because the player gets to chose when they want to join a new ally, but most pps are forced out of their old galaxy and into a new one.

Played solo this round( accepted a few nubjes into my 1 man ally for some def-xp-whoring), the only source of def was in gal (no middle of the night wakeups cause it's still be eta-5/> when I got up for work), which I doubt I would have got any of in a fully random galaxy, and if the game wasn't so attack-attack-attack orientated, then whenever I had to run my fleet to stop it being crushed, I wouldn't have been able to regain roids to grow, and not ended with a 3mil~ planet

looneytunes.mxhosting.be/?Menu=[Planets]&X=14&Y=7&Z=7<- me if you're interested
Unread 26 Jul 2008, 10:24   #79
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyone View Post
Keep jpgs, pre-launches, xp and random+bp gals.
Remove "only gained score since joining a galaxy is counted", it's ok for allies, because the player gets to chose when they want to join a new ally, but most pps are forced out of their old galaxy and into a new one.
Without disagreeing with your sentiment, I'd like to point out that the winning galaxy is far more a construct of what exiles pass through than people give it credit for. And not only that, but exiling to the galaxy you want is also easier than expected. Simple maths show that with about 15 exiles (not stretching) you have a little over 50% chance to make it into the galaxy you want. With resets, it's quite easy to construct a private galaxy under the current conditions.
Unread 30 Jul 2008, 22:01   #80
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

My Thoughts (again) - probably a duplication of some stuff already said here.

- Design Inconsistencies, layouts across all areas of the game aren't consistent, a hodge podge of themes that doesn't all work correctly. Instead of trying to have so much choice, perhaps its time to dump the cruft and start again.

- Too confusing for beginners, the interface once in game is quite honestly, awful, its cluttered and not broken up nicely at all, theres too much going on with very little explaination, the explaination that does exist in the manual isn't straight forward to find / understand.

- No real community focus, its all very disjointed - IRC runs as one thing, Forums run a bit seperately, and then theres all the ingame stuff, combine this will lots of alliances running their own things, and its too complicated.

- More updates from the team on what is going on, the portal is dull with 'round starts', 'round ends' messages.

- Advertising, no one can deny more players are needed desperately, more tahn the odd banner in jolts rotation, has there been much for rounds?

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2008, 13:27   #81
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit View Post
- Too confusing for beginners, the interface once in game is quite honestly, awful, its cluttered and not broken up nicely at all, theres too much going on with very little explaination, the explaination that does exist in the manual isn't straight forward to find / understand.
Not just ingame. Where's the signup link on the front page?

Quote:
- Advertising, no one can deny more players are needed desperately, more tahn the odd banner in jolts rotation, has there been much for rounds?
Marketing, not just advertising. Paying for magazine ads isn't a great way to get players.
Unread 31 Jul 2008, 13:31   #82
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Not just ingame. Where's the signup link on the front page?
Exactly, the whole lot has no consistency and it is hard to work out what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Marketing, not just advertising. Paying for magazine ads isn't a great way to get players.
Was just being general, it needs a lot of work imo on all areas. - Before this can happen changes need to be made elsewhere, theres no point advertising YET because of the other suggestions I've made.

Last edited by Mit; 1 Aug 2008 at 10:21.
Unread 1 Aug 2008, 17:35   #83
Ronin
Legionaire

Ronin will become famous soon enoughRonin will become famous soon enough

In terms of importance, what is wrong with the game

by far -> number of players.

if it were up to me to try and bring more players to the game, this is what I would do.

#1 I would fix the godawfull portal, There are plenty of studies which show that if an internet browser doesnt find on the webpage what it is, and what he's looking for within 10 seconds, he will abondon the page forever. Then take think about this: The first new people see is this: (http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/856/portalhp8.gif), Its dark, its uninviting, the colorcombination are dull, where is the huge LOGIN/SIGNUP FOR FREE HERE button? why isnt there a short pa summary, 3-4 lines directly visible on the first page. The first page should be dedicated to getting new players to join, not be filled with boring stuff like how many people are online, what the latest eorc was like, link to game stats, some table with newsitems nobody understands.

In general, it looks as if planetarion is some dull business, instead of a cool game, where you can have loads of fun. Make the portal alive, and the first page you see when you join www.planetarion.com should be only for new players. and orientated to get new players to signup.

(designing a nice to look at frontpage should take about a week, maybe less for someone with good gfx skills), (fixing the portal after that would take a bit longer, but would be worth it)

#2 Where is the big 'newbie' section on the forums, where new people can freely post anything they need to know, old players who hate newbies won't bother coming there, and won't call them idiots 24/7. There will be plenty of people left who will check these forums and helps newbies out. The forums where we post our alliance/pa discussions are way to hostile.

(this would take like 30minutes to fix)

#3 Make an easy to access simplified manual for starting players + start guide, make sure a link to this manual is also on the start page. Mail it with the signup mail, just make sure they read it. And an advanced manual for advanced players (the current one).

(couple of hours to fix)

#4 The difference for free accounts should be a lot smaller (a banner on a free account would be reason enough for me to pay for a round, and I bet a lot of people would agree with me). A big group of potential players are 12-18, and they just don't play because its a payed game (and sure, a free account may have won a round, but in the end, free accounts as they are now are just shit).

(its not like Planetarion is making loads of money now, atm its only dying, with less income every round, if you want something to change, you'll have to make it free again, and hope many people will pay to not see the banners.)

Couldnt be to much work

#5 Advertisement, Why arent there any cool planetarion banners available for people to put on websites.

Tough point, i'm not sure if online advertisement is worth the cost

Round 3 - 8 (Legion)
Round 9 - 10.5 (Nos/FanG)
Round 22 - 23 (Jenova)
Round 24 - 28 (CT HC)
Round 31 (DLR)
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2008, 22:31   #84
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

improve the game? simple. Bring back spinner. Or sell the game back to him. my 2 cents.

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2008, 22:32   #85
Mit
Let battle commence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
improve the game? simple. Bring back spinner. Or sell the game back to him. my 2 cents.
Spinner isn't the only answer to the game... someone needs to come and take some control to move things forward however.

Unread 1 Aug 2008, 22:43   #86
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
While I share your belief in Spinner's willingness to make this a better game, I think presenting it as the only ultimate solution is naive, shortsighted and just plain stupid.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 1 Aug 2008, 22:55   #87
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
While I share your belief in Spinner's willingness to make this a better game, I think presenting it as the only ultimate solution is naive, shortsighted and just plain stupid.
i would see that as an improvment for the game to be ran by sumone who cares enough about the game and understands its meaning to the players as the best step forward. Just stating that as a simple fact not of course claiming its the option which will save PA. But its the best step forward.

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2008, 23:22   #88
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

#3 Make an easy to access simplified manual for starting players + start guide, make sure a link to this manual is also on the start page. Mail it with the signup mail, just make sure they read it. And an advanced manual for advanced players (the current one).
Lots of good stuff in this post. Adding onto this point, for god's sake, make http://manual.planetarion.com/ actually lead to the manual.
Unread 2 Aug 2008, 09:55   #89
Mit
Let battle commence

Quote:
i would see that as an improvement for the game to be ran by someone who cares enough about the game and understands its meaning to the players as the best step forward. Just stating that as a simple fact not of course claiming its the option which will save PA. But its the best step forward.
Spinner isn't the be all and end all of the game - but yes, it does need someone who cares about things to be 'in charge', that person NEEDS to have enough time to give to the game too, while some jobs can be done by volunteers, it doesn't work for those in the real core jobs (overall management, development etc... they just dictate too much time to do properly)

Unread 4 Aug 2008, 00:04   #90
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

There is 1 thing i miss more then anything and thats speedgames.

the way i see it now is that we dont have a speegame.
years ago i played Last Horizon which provided a very popular 10second tick speedgame. it would last for ~1100 ticks then being automatically reset totally and it would start again 1 hour later.

it was online 24/7

speedgames are great entertainment and it a good way of getting some activity on irc
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2008, 00:10   #91
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
There is 1 thing i miss more then anything and thats speedgames.

the way i see it now is that we dont have a speegame.
years ago i played Last Horizon which provided a very popular 10second tick speedgame. it would last for ~1100 ticks then being automatically reset totally and it would start again 1 hour later.

it was online 24/7

speedgames are great entertainment and it a good way of getting some activity on irc
you ****in mentally retarded or something? pa has had speedgames running for bloody ages
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2008, 12:55   #92
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

I think 2 big things are wrong with pa, first the uncivilized hours U have to be online to do well and second, its pay to play when there are lots of free games out there.

so, to attempt to kill two birds with one stone:
Make the game free at the point of use and for revenue allow people to buy hours of immunity from attack so they can get a decent nights sleep.
Clearly there are problems with this, all ships would have to be home before ur immunity can occur, it would have to be paid in advance so its not a way of avoiding a major assault. Anyone attempting to launch on an immune planet would have to be told when said planet will lose its immunity so they can launch later

Im sure there are many more problems but the basic point is I would pay to sleep
Unread 5 Aug 2008, 23:39   #93
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

I would exploit this and buy immunity as often as possible.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2008, 08:53   #94
zokka

zokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura about

Have the ability to select different skins depending on what I am on at the time e.g a skin for pc,games console or mobile phone. Oh and to actually work correctly on my psp.

I would like scan links on the top 100 page

I would like a scan expire system; your could set your scans to expire in say 2 ticks. Any duplicate scans would result in the older scan shown and no resources taken!

An option to move ships by race on the fleet page and total ships in fleet shown without cloaked ships.

Bigger fleet names so we can insult each other better !!
zokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2008, 11:01   #95
Jamie_Omac
Omac

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming.

Re: bitching, there's a reason I put bitch in the title, I need to see how people are talking to each other and I see that everyone is passionate about the game, just in some cases passionate about opposite things which lead into arguments. That's why we all love good forums

Re: advertising, the pop up banners are gone, and advertising will be integrated differently for the next round. And will not be on in paid accounts.

Re: Planetarion as a whole, I hope you'll all understand that it takes time for an outsider to understand how a game is programmed, which we are doing with PATeam at the moment and seeing what we can and can't do. There are a huge number of people who have given ideas over the years, so it's good to have such a wealth of information from the players to work with.

Re: Changes, these won't be happening immediately and you'll see the normal between round tweaks, but give us the time to see what we can do to make a good game brilliant

Jamie
Unread 8 Aug 2008, 11:21   #96
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie_Omac View Post
Re: advertising, the pop up banners are gone, and advertising will be integrated differently for the next round.
So after days of planning an alliance attack, our fleets arrive to find SURPRISE! it's the planet of the ad banners.
Unread 8 Aug 2008, 13:19   #97
Anduin
Registered Lunatic

Anduin is an unknown quantity at this point

If banners are to be used, why not just put them to the side, such as the one in the beta tset?

I for one like to able to see my pages at a glance, without having to navigate my way around a pic of a bloody dragon

R26 - Tides of Fire
R27 - Tides of Fire BC
R28 - Tides of Fire HC
R41 - Tides of Fire
R42 - Tides of Fire BC
Anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2008, 02:05   #98
Jamie_Omac
Omac

Hi guys,

They're in there now because they need to be, and anyway, we'll be looking at overhauling the user interface too to make it easier to navigate, and it'll be intergrated differently then And let us figure out a way to work the spreadsheet skin for those who use it in work. It's pretty high up my to do list, but something i know some players really need to get away with playing

They're a necessary evil for the meantime, but the free accounts will be overhauled before we do anything in the next round or two to make it a little more worthwhile having them in >; )

Jamie
Unread 14 Aug 2008, 07:03   #99
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

I'd like to see this banner go out of the ad-circle..

I thought it was a new stupid mail icon and clicked it
http://bildr.no/view/239891

Proud to be Newdawn
Unread 14 Aug 2008, 14:37   #100
Mzyxptlk
mz.

You clicked it!? Oh no!