User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Jul 2005, 23:34   #1
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold
setting up a wireless ad-hoc network.

OK- I have tried for hours and I can't seem to get it to work, I have two 802.11g USB yokes with WEP 128 [lol, i couldn't afford WPA or 256]. [no router or AP]

1 PC has win xp pro and the other xp home. I install the drivers for both, get the "network" connection up and running. On the pro computer, I go into control panel, wirelss networking setup wizard, choose SSID and generate key, save onto USB disk. On the Home computer, I go to all connections, right click, select view all available networks, advanced, add network, and enter the SSID and WEP key [it won't allow me to run the yoke pro computer put on the USB key].

The connection seems to work fne, it connects, etc. [very low signal, 11mbps {comp with home still has USB 1.1, so its really much slower}] if one computer doesn't have the dongle plugged in, the other won't connect, so I assume it works.

But what do I do next?

I can't seem to share my connection or any folders [both are down as shared], in my network places, i go to view workgroup computers, only the computer i'm working at is listed [both have same workgroup name], I have tried using the setup a network wizard etc. [for sharing internet connection etc.] but this doesn't seem to work.

Assistance needed! If one of you has the time to lead my through this, I'd really appreciate it, or start from the beginning etc., thanks.

Last edited by Thermodynamics; 19 Jul 2005 at 00:46.
Thermodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 11:21   #2
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Re: setting up a wireless ad-hoc network.

Sharing internet with XP is easy - find the properties of the internet connection, iirc there is then a 'sharing' tab - enable it to the wireless interface. It'll set the IP of your XP pro box to 192.168.0.1

Change the IP of the other box to be dynamic

It might even help fix the net browsing problem.

Check the windows (or other) Firewall too if your having problems.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 15:00   #3
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold
Re: setting up a wireless ad-hoc network.

Thanks for advance, I seem to have it working [a few minor details to iron out]. The NICS were in infastructure and not ad-hoc mode, I assigned each computer a static IP address and I spent ages trying to configure my Nvidia firewall- all seems to be working atm, shame i'm stuck with a 33.2kbps connection for the next week. :-(