User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Jul 2005, 18:57   #1
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
64 bit OS

looking for a 64 bit linux, which version should I use and why?

(oh, and it has to be free, none of this SuSE stuff).
Unread 16 Jul 2005, 19:05   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: 64 bit OS

most of the linux distros ARE free, including suse.
the ones you pay for are those which include support contracts ( ie for buisnesses )
i think pretty much all of the major distros support 64bit now anyway so whichever one you want is up to you
Unread 16 Jul 2005, 19:10   #3
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

There are various 64 bit distributions

Ubuntu - http://se.releases.ubuntu.com/5.04/u...tall-amd64.iso
a very simple distro for starting off

Fedora - http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../4/x86_64/iso/
a redhat based distro

Gentoo - www.gentoo.org
not so much a beginner friendly distro, but supports 64bit and has done since 64bit procs were publically available.

There are others - its just a case of looking around

Personally I like Gentoo due to the control that the 'portage' system gives (no dependancy hell)

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2005, 19:14   #4
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

is there something i can get to make it pretend to be windows for games etc or is that built in to most of them?
Unread 16 Jul 2005, 19:18   #5
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Linux is Linux, not Windows...

saying that, you can use 'wine' (www.winehq.org) to run _some_ Windows apps

or PAY for Cedega (www.transgaming.com) to play some DirectX games.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote