User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 10 Jul 2005, 02:08   #1
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Interested in learning c#?

Anyone interested in trying out c#?. Check this program out, if your can't afford to buy Visual Studio, but want to learn c#.
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

Tbh, i'd prefer to get a version of Visual Studio, but this one can help alot if you can't affor Visual Studio. The best thing about SharpDevelop, is that it's pretty similar to Visual Studio. Atleast i were able to build and run 3 simple C# application, following the instructions in C# for Dummies

You'll also need either the Microsoft.NET SDK 1.1 or the Runtime installed on the machine. The SDK is a 100 mb download, but the runtime is only 23 mb.
You'll get the links for the SDK and the Runtime on the download page for SharpDevelop:
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Download/

Last edited by Pilatus; 10 Jul 2005 at 08:20.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2005, 10:59   #2
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Re: Interested in learning c#?

Yuo can get a copy fo the 'express' version of Visual Studio from the M$ website.

I have it on CD somewhere, free on a mag a few months back.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2005, 22:32   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

C# Express is a pretty good way of learning the language (there's also a VB.NET express if i remember rightly). It's not as powerful as full-blown VS.NET 2003, obviously, but it's enough to be able to make forms applications and perhaps play about with DirectX. You may still be able to acquire the VS.NET 2005 beta on CD from Microsoft too.

Edit:
The MS webby's got some really good articles around the idea of 'coding for fun' that involve C# and VB.NET for people who've not played with it before.
Unread 15 Jul 2005, 11:05   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

you can get mono too.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 15 Jul 2005, 11:17   #5
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Mono is good, I'm using it (and MonoDevelop) on Linux to try learning c#

Granted it doesn't support everything perfectly yet, but its definately improving fast as with lots of open source things at the moment.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2005, 15:39   #6
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

What's c# like compared to C++? What does it offer?
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2005, 22:31   #7
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

You might wanna check my links out, if your interested in what c# is about. Can't really recommend you to switch from c++ to c#, since i'm trying to learn programming atm. Tried to learn Java earlier, but gave it up because i were either to stupid, or the books i bought were bad. Learned the basics of Perl, before i tried to learn an object oriented programming language again. Were recommended from a vb-programmer to learn C#, and that's why i'm trying it now.

After what i read, c# seems be the choice if you wan't to develop programs fast., and c# seems to have better error control. But c++ stil seems to be the best choice if performance matters.

I'll give you a few links if your interested in checking it out. Only the last one should be influenced by ms, and the 2 other is recommended links that Stephen Randy Davis had in his c# for dummies(he also wrote c++ for dummies):

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/language.asp
http://www.codeguru.com/Csharp/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jul 2005, 19:50   #8
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm interested in learning C#, I bout an education version of the MS C# editor, I forget what it's called, but it was pricey. I'm going to get around to it someday.
Unread 17 Jul 2005, 19:52   #9
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
What's c# like compared to C++? What does it offer?
C# is one of the language used in Microsoft's .NET implementation. It's run on a virtual engine much like Java. What's great about it, I think, is the many built in libraries, and of course the editor, what's it called, I can't think of it right now, oh yes Visual Studio. I have that :0. It's fantastic. And I've only heard good things about C#.

I'm not sure if it's really called a 'virtual engine' btw, but I think that's it.
Unread 17 Jul 2005, 20:39   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

MS has some webcasts that might prove interesting if you're just starting to learn it, plus if you already know Java then this might be interesting reading.
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 00:28   #11
Catif
Code Monkey

Catif is an unknown quantity at this point

I gotta agree with Pab on this - the MS Webcasts are damned useful - the recorded coding for fun series is great but if you get the chance to attend one of the live ones they really help as you can ask questions or get stuff clarified on the spot.
Catif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 16:33   #12
REacz

REacz is infamous around these partsREacz is infamous around these parts

C# is nice.

Java is my favourite though. Along with C.

I think I don't like C# as much merely because I wasn't taught as much about it at Uni (but I did get to write alot of C# code) as the others.

But tbh if you can use Java, C# really isn't much different (in the basics) once it starts getting more complicated the differences between the languages are quite easy to see.
REacz is offline   Reply With Quote