User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Aug 2004, 11:56   #1
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
rollback

first, what this thread isn't about:
this thread isn't about whether there should be a rollback or not
this thread isn't about whether the 'downish' time was jolt's fault, pa's fault, or anyone imparticular's fault

this thread is about why there may or may not be a rollback in the first place.

i'm told that pages were slow for a significant amount of time before the tick. surely something or someone should have noticed this? what systems are in place to deal with it, and what went wrong with them?

basically, why was the game allowed to tick in the first place?

-mist
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 12:01   #2
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: rollback

it was slow to the extent that is was impossible to get to the relevant tools - it was not a gradual getting slower, it was a sudden network failure

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 12:22   #3
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

given a network failure, why did the ticker run?

-mist
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 12:25   #4
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

cos the system involves somsone manually stopping it... can't get to it, can't stop it :-/

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 12:33   #5
mist
Jolt's best friend

given that we've had that problem for over 10 rounds now, i'd rather hoped someone would have done something about it.

is pinging a few well known sites before the tick starts that hard? personally, if i think my connection's dead i tend to ping google. combined with pinging a couple of other sites (google might go down at some point, god forbid) it shouldn't be rocket science to check if the servers are actually on the net before the tick starts

with clever things like network management protocols there's probably a lot neater way to do it, but personally i'd not really care as long as it works

i guess there were more important things to be doing?

-mist
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 13:21   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
given that we've had that problem for over 10 rounds now, i'd rather hoped someone would have done something about it.

is pinging a few well known sites before the tick starts that hard? personally, if i think my connection's dead i tend to ping google. combined with pinging a couple of other sites (google might go down at some point, god forbid) it shouldn't be rocket science to check if the servers are actually on the net before the tick starts

with clever things like network management protocols there's probably a lot neater way to do it, but personally i'd not really care as long as it works

i guess there were more important things to be doing?

-mist
i actually did some pings and they all appeared to come out fine. The problem was packet corruption rather than packets not getting through at all (software on the main switch sending data to jolt went a bit weird).

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 13:24   #7
mist
Jolt's best friend

stick a few hundred K of data somewhere. download it. if it's ok, tick

cunning++

-mist