User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 9 Feb 2004, 14:56   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Network admins and broadcasting

Is it true network admins don't really appreciate broadcasts over their local network?
Unread 9 Feb 2004, 16:13   #2
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Re: Network admins and broadcasting

No, they don't.. broadcast traffic eats bandwidth and turns a switch based network into a hub based (i.e. everyone is copied the data which in most cases isn't needed)

*looks at his works network and says no more*

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2004, 21:14   #3
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

net send domain Please do not abuse broadcasts, also has anyone seen my sandwich.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 17:10   #4
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

broadcasts kill bandwith, period
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:32   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

It's for node discovery on a local network. The place I work now (for my final internship period) wants a P2P-like system for their products, and I thought a broadcast would be particulary kinky for easy node discovery.
The broadcast will still be in the prototype to show it's possible, but I now know what to put in my recommendation report at the end.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 23:52   #6
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
broadcasts kill bandwith, period
It does more then that. In the simplist terms possiable, it also puts the line in use and hency gives a busy signal for everyone else.
Unread 19 Feb 2004, 15:59   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

*Bump*

And what about multicast? Just got the input that multicasting is very handy for making a quick P2P app where nodes leave "advertisements" and "requests" on the network through a multicast mechanism.
Unread 19 Feb 2004, 17:31   #8
Intrepid00

Instead of broadcasting to everyone, the machines ask centeral device what services are up and taking requests. Its common on Broadcast based protocols like IPX/SPX

I will need to double check this when I get home in my book because I am not 100% sure I am thinking the right thing.
Unread 20 Feb 2004, 19:23   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Yeh, something like a rendezvous node. I read some things about that. That could be a solution, but it requires a hard-code in the app or as a setting that has to be made. I don't really like that, but it's an option that should be in the app.
Unread 21 Feb 2004, 02:15   #10
Intrepid00

Subnetting is the usual solution though.
Unread 21 Feb 2004, 03:12   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A possible, though odd, option to consider is to use SMTP to find out the IP of a connected server to connect to, and have each client respond to 'entry' requests on mail every minute or five or something. Fulfils some requirements, far from perfect but 'nutty'.