User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 22 Jan 2004, 18:20   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
bittorent and linux

ill just ask here again:
i need some bittorent commandline client for linux. i cant start any gui on that pc, because it simply is too slow and old for that. so i need something i can use from the command line.
i tried http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/ and a few others, but none of them seem to work. (well, either that, or im just too stupid, but anyway, the help file are not very helpful)
what can i do?
Unread 22 Jan 2004, 22:20   #2
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Re: bittorent and linux

btdownloadheadless.py (its in the linux installer somewhere, i just emerged it on gentoo)

use --max-upload to limit upload rate and --url to specify the url to the torrent file

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2004, 22:40   #3
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Define 'not working'?
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 10:40   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit
btdownloadheadless.py (its in the linux installer somewhere, i just emerged it on gentoo)

use --max-upload to limit upload rate and --url to specify the url to the torrent file
i tried that, but that didnt do anything. it kept printing some stats about the file, but never started a download. (i let it run for 30 minutes).
now im using Azureus, which works fine, but unfortunatly has my cpu at 100%
i downloaded the python-source and untared it. thats all i need to do, isnt it?

PS also, why do i suddenly need to use a public proxy server to get to this forum? i cant get here directly since yesterday evening
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 18:28   #5
wu_trax

ok, i did this:
btdownloadheadless.py --responsefile blabla.torrent

(because i already downloaded the torrent-file, but --url produced the same result)
it kept printing this:

saving: blabla
percent done: 0.0
time left: connecting to peers
download to: blabla
download rate: 0 kB/s
upload rate: 0 kB/s
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:13   #6
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

thats working then, it needs to actually connect to some "peers" before the download will start. If ur behind a proxy, that could cause some issues...

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:17   #7
wu_trax

yes, sorry, it started now. DL-speed is much lower than with Azureus though
im trying something called 'snark' now (if i ever manage to compile it)
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 20:20   #8
Mit
Let battle commence

it starts slowly, but gets quicker. works fine for me and gives me full d/l rates (capped by the upload ofc)

Unread 24 Jan 2004, 10:50   #9
wu_trax

ok, i think ill stick with that client. i tested it this night and it seems to work fine. i even can use the gui-version, because it doesnt need as much resources as that Azureus-thingy
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 12:46   #10
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

the gui client is in python though!
and everything in python is sexy!
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2004, 14:26   #11
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light

btdownloadheadless is mostly designed to be used as a backend thing I think. btdownloadcurses is more suited for commandline usage... or btlaunchmanycurses if you have a load of torrents you want to have going at the same time.
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2004, 15:29   #12
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light

Launchmanycurses is broken (at least on my box), if a torrent name has certain characters it stops monitoring the dir properly. Headless also has some advantages over curses, mostly that it's guaranteed to not crap out on terminal resizes.
Unread 5 Feb 2004, 15:48   #13
wu_trax

i use the gui one now. woks fine and i dont have enough upstream-bandwidth to do more than one download anyway, at least not on that network.
Unread 8 Feb 2004, 01:14   #14
wu_trax

is there any client i can use to controll the download from another computer?
(like mldonkey with this nice webinterface for example)
it somewhat sucks to have two screens here, there isnt enough room :/
ofc, i could start a download in the background using ssh, but the id never know when its finished or if it does anything at all
Unread 8 Feb 2004, 10:08   #15
Mit
Let battle commence

"screen btdown.... " to start the thing then
screen -r <pid> to reattach to it to check it

Unread 8 Feb 2004, 12:37   #16
wu_trax

thanks, sounds easy
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 02:06   #17
wu_trax

only remotly related to the topic, but i dont want to start another thread:

how do i burn dvd with linux? at best on the command line. i managed to burn a dvd-rw by using
dvd+rw-format -f /dev/sr0
growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=dvd.iso

but somwhow that doesnt seem to work for normal dvd-r's
(i just realized it SHOULD work, but a) im an idiot and bought a sony Dru-500 and b) the dvd-r were not that expensive)