User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 9 Dec 2003, 11:26   #51
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Question - how will Jolt / Pa give us a round 11 ???

i never liked races =(

i love you idler =(
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 15:38   #52
Oghy

Oghy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando
well, honestly i dont like being a pain about this issue, but as I said when I retired, PaX stands no chance to older versions.

Anyone in here does not agree with me that R9,8,7,6,5 where much better than R10?

And then the best part of the game: R4,3 and 2 (and maybe R1, but i didn“t play that )

To be honest, planetarion needs a change. Either bring it back by making it free for 2 rounds (and believe me, this will attract a LOT of new players), which will involve needing a heck LOT of multihunters, OR:
1) Unjoltonize the portal
2) Make it back to the old planetarion format (better races, "more" ships stats, clusters/paralels, etc)
3)Give incentives to new alliances to get to be known, and also make sure the old ones do not disband because of LACK of members (again, this goes to the same question as before; shouldn“t the game go free for a bit?)
4) Advertise the Netgamers IRC, make the community bigger somehow.

Fernando
Retired Planetarion Player (until the game becomes what it used to be)
No... No... AND NO...
You cannot compare rounds on which was better. As Depending when you started playing, you will always remember your n00bdays as your most fun and intresting.
Round 9 was just as decent as round 5, if we are talking about the game itself ONLY.
The earlier rounds were fun because of the massive people playing them... But the game itself was full of bugs and had a lot more downtime.

If Planetarion wishes to survive they will need to revolutionize and come up with a new original concept...
Making Planetarion free again will _NOT_ bring in LOADS of new players, round 9.5 proved this ALL to well.
1) The portal has little, if anything to do with the number of people that are playing the game.
2) Going back to the old format will _NOT_ bring in in many players IF any at all.
3) This will not bring any new players unless new players start coming here first... You cant just break into the circle like that.
4) advertising the Netgamers network will _NOT_ aid in any way to the number of people playing Planetarion.

Get your head out of the sand and face the truth:
Planetarion WAS a great game, because it was a NEW concept, original and it was one of a kind.
But now... It has been copied a million times now, the alternatives have become better then the original (free, more players, etc).
Hence..... Planetarions Era is over.

-Yogibear
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 17:21   #53
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
Planetarion started to loose its playerbase the MOMENT they introduced 1, races
Introducing races is generally considered to be one of the best changes in PA.

Other than by some deviants like you.
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 18:30   #54
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I stopped playing when they did it =( Though I'm a dumbass who didn't want more than a fleeting diversion between lectures so go figure.
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 20:33   #55
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy

And me.

But then nobody in their right mind ever listens to me heh.

I still believe we can rebuild PA if we do it properly though. Hell I wouldn't have joined PAteam if I didn't think it was possible. Fact of the matter is that it's downright impossible (without a massive bankroll, six months of research and six months of development and a dedicated team of professionals covering all situations) to build an internet game which ~20k people will pay money for. The main reason 90% of us payed was because of the community. I can't remember the best possible fleet for r5 or the ideal roiding scenario for r7 or the perfect 72 tick startup in r3. I can damn sure remember the people I met along the way though. I've always thought PA should be a blank canvas on which the users paint a masterpiece.
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 23:29   #56
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I still believe we can rebuild PA if we do it properly though. Hell I wouldn't have joined PAteam if I didn't think it was possible.
It's very unlikely to happen under Jolt though, which is why I made the opposite move
Quote:
I can damn sure remember the people I met along the way though. I've always thought PA should be a blank canvas on which the users paint a masterpiece.
Same here. But the reality is that this is no longer a free game, and in order to survive, it has to appeal to new users who aren't integrated in the community yet. If the game is good, people in the community will pass it on to their friends, who in turn will spread the word, etc, etc. If 90% of the community itself complains about how crap the game is, then obviously that isn't going to work.
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 23:41   #57
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Question - how will Jolt / Pa give us a round 11 ???

Quote:
I'm not sure Races would make my Top Ten list of PA features.

Races weren't a bad feature, but it seems to me that a lot of time was wasted, er, spent on tweaking race stats in search of the ultimate balance--time that perhaps could have been better spent on fixing some of the real problems in the game.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 23:44   #58
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
I'm not sure Races would make my Top Ten list of PA features.
They may not necessarily appear on the top ten list of features, but it has been one of the better changes in Planetarion. I'm fairly certain that if we were still flying around with a Spider/War Frigate/Battleship fleet, PA's numbers would dwindled much sooner.
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 03:57   #59
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

At least you didn't have to spend hours of your life figuring out exactly what to send to attack someone back then. T'was a simpler time, grass was greener, everything had this inexplicable rose tint to it, and an attack meant war frigates galore \o/

None of this 'oh no I don't really have much anti-Co' bullshit, **** that. Thinking too hard makes baby Jesus cry.
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 05:31   #60
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Question - how will Jolt / Pa give us a round 11 ???

Quote:
They may not necessarily appear on the top ten list of features, but it has been one of the better changes in Planetarion. I'm fairly certain that if we were still flying around with a Spider/War Frigate/Battleship fleet, PA's numbers would dwindled much sooner.
Ships and tactics evolved substantially from R1 to R5, before races were introduced in R6. In R1, it was Destroyers with Fighter flak. R2 saw first Torpedo fleets and then Thief and Pirate fleets. R3 was Ghost/War Frigate/Cargo fleets. R4 was Phoenix/Pod fleets. Etc. And through much of that time, PA's player base grew exponentially--at least until p2p anyway.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 08:44   #61
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

ok.. I'll generalize: No browser game has the capability to hold to a playerbase containing several thousands of real players (not people who log in every 3-4 days just to check) for years and years, regardless of amount of changes.

not that Planetarion isn't allowed to try to prove otherwise
I am Idler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 08:46   #62
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
at least until p2p anyway.

Shame that the banner market took a dive :/

Planetarion could have been worthwile if people had clicked once every 30 minutes
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 16:43   #63
cbk100

cbk100 is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing is Planetarion is almost dead with these pahetic amounts of players so if PA wants to survive they MUST attract new players and they MUST do it NOW.
The game itself doesn't have to be changed that damn much. Hicks says that he wants sound, grafic and such stuff, but the fact is that a game like PA can attract people even without that. Planetarion is a GREAT game, but what is wrong then?

P2P, and it is as simple as that. If PA shall survive it MUST be made a free game and we MUST get back to the old playerbase of at least 30k planets and if Planetarion is made a 100% free game we will soon see those amounts of players backhere.
If Jolt is not willing to do that, well then there is no hope cause without a huge amount of players this game is not funny ENOUGH to keep ppl here.

Then the next thing is ofcourse is how Jolt shall then earn money on this game and I see that is a huge problem, but how does other games keep it running around?

The first thing Jolt should do is to start using adds like in the old days (I know they don't get rich from that but it will at least pay some of the expences)
The next thing is to make it easier and for sure also more interesting for people to make donations.

There are tons of ways to do this and this is just a few ideas I come up with just now:
There has to be a page where the ppl who donates money will get their names listed (this will mostly be a reason for the average player to give a little donation to the game)(ofc. it should be shown weather the donations given are BIG, medium or little donations) (I have stolen that idea from another game :-) )

Then why not have a round-sponsor? (some firm who pays to get the round named as it wants it to be named)

To take it to extremes why not have a ship-sponsor? (yeah I know some ppl will think that it would sound funny to have like 10,000 Coca Cola incomings but it would pay for the game ;-) )

And ofc. there are lots of other ways to fund the game without charching the players for playing.

The question is not if the game shall be p2p or free cause there is only one option and that is free.
The question is how it shall be funded... And if Jolt says that its not posible to fund it without p2p well then they can just aswell close it down cause then there is no future.

cbk
cbk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 07:58   #64
I am Idler
This is bat country

'Planetarion has lost it's appeal'
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 14:07   #65
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk100
ideas of questionable merit
  • There was iirc a donation facility from about round 3. Guess how many people took up the offer. That's right folks!
  • Making the game free will change nothing. Remember R9.5?
  • Jolt acquired PA to make money out of it, not to keep a few thousand lonely, bored internet users amused. So expecting them to do anything other than what an ordinary business would do is daft
  • Jolt can't both cover the cost of PA and make any kind of profit from the game via banner ads, and it makes the assumption that people will actually click them which they don't
  • As good an idea as having a round-sponsor is, I'm not sure Jolt would take too kindly to the concept. Also, assume there's a round sponsor who pays to keep the game going and some amount of money to Jolt to keep them sweet so we can play for free: Now see point 2.
  • Big companies don't just want to throw money at anything, let alone a dying browser-based space combat game when they can be sponsoring e-sports events and big-name PC titles.
  • There is a future for the game as a P2P experience. Not in the current format. PA at the minute offers absolutely nothing over its free competitors, and there are a hell of a lot more MMO games around now than there were in early 2000. Current PA needs ditching, plain and simple. It needs to be redesigned from the ground up with no preconceptions about what the remaining players want but what a wider internet audience desires.

PA's been targetting the wrong audience for a year now, and look where we are.
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 16:41   #66
cbk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
  • There was iirc a donation facility from about round 3. Guess how many people took up the offer. That's right folks!
  • Making the game free will change nothing. Remember R9.5?
  • Jolt acquired PA to make money out of it, not to keep a few thousand lonely, bored internet users amused. So expecting them to do anything other than what an ordinary business would do is daft
  • Jolt can't both cover the cost of PA and make any kind of profit from the game via banner ads, and it makes the assumption that people will actually click them which they don't
  • As good an idea as having a round-sponsor is, I'm not sure Jolt would take too kindly to the concept. Also, assume there's a round sponsor who pays to keep the game going and some amount of money to Jolt to keep them sweet so we can play for free: Now see point 2.
  • Big companies don't just want to throw money at anything, let alone a dying browser-based space combat game when they can be sponsoring e-sports events and big-name PC titles.
  • There is a future for the game as a P2P experience. Not in the current format. PA at the minute offers absolutely nothing over its free competitors, and there are a hell of a lot more MMO games around now than there were in early 2000. Current PA needs ditching, plain and simple. It needs to be redesigned from the ground up with no preconceptions about what the remaining players want but what a wider internet audience desires.

PA's been targetting the wrong audience for a year now, and look where we are.
So let us take this from the beginning.

I have been playing this game since r4 and quit only just over a month ago and in all of my time here spending tons and tons of hours here I have seen no what so ever place that ppl could donate money. I have heard of it that is true but, if ppl can't see it they can't be arsed doing it. Such an option should be in a place where you can be sure that noone can avoid seeing it and if that is done and if it is maked public who donates then you can be sure that more ppl will do it. Many who plays PA has more or less given their life or at least some years of their life to it so there is no doubt that they would be willing to give some money to it too.

And yes I remember r9.5 even though I didn't play it and if you remember it so well you should also know that it was a round where very many didn't play serious and where people took a break from the gaming to be ready to the serious thing (r 10). Also if you have tried to work with marketing on the internet you should know that you can't just make something free and then expect that everyone on the internet will know it the day after. It takes time to spread the word and that was exacly what PA didn't give. if they had also made r10 and r11 (which is to come) free then you can be sure that the word would have been spread. Rome wasn't build in one day... remember that!!! (I for eksample didn't get to know about the game untill r4 even though the game had been here for a long time prior to that)

Your next statement is plain and simply dum, cause they have tried to make money on it by making it p2p, but they have gotten nothing and will get nothing out of it so their only hope is to make it free to get more ppl to play or they can just aswell shut planetarion down.

Most other free games manage to use banners and manage to keep alive, so banners is a posibility and banners can be profitable. About a year ago or something like that when Planetarion was made p2p I had a talk with one from the HQ about why they made it p2p instead of free gaming as it had been untill then and he gave me 2 reasons.
1. Ppl was annoyed by the adds and wanted to get rid of them
2. The firm which was administrating the banners that Planetarion used on their site wasn't able to pay Planetarion. (I don't remember the exact numbers but I remember that it was a ****ing huge amount of money that Planetarion had actualy earned on those banners so don't come and tell me that its not posible for PA to earn noney on banners cause I have HQ's own words for it). Because of this Planetarion was in a bad financial situation and wasn't in a position where they could risk taking a chance with banners again.

Your next point eliminates itself by my argumentation earlier.

You are so right that the competition is harder now and it might be that there is no hope. All I say is that there is one path to go. Either they chose that path or they chose to let PA die. :-(

cbk
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 17:42   #67
Eventh
Retired?

Eventh is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasnt there around 11-12k players/planets in round 9.5??

If we merged the free area into the paid area, wouldnt we around 8k planets?
Eventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 18:00   #68
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventh
Wasnt there around 11-12k players/planets in round 9.5??

If we merged the free area into the paid area, wouldnt we around 8k planets?
Yup

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 18:26   #69
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Your next statement is plain and simply dum, cause they have tried to make money on it by making it p2p, but they have gotten nothing and will get nothing out of it so their only hope is to make it free to get more ppl to play or they can just aswell shut planetarion down.

How many people paid for a planet this round. Multiply that by the price of a round credit. Unless the figure you're coming up with is 'zero' what you're saying it simply not true. They have probably made enough to cover costs otherwise we wouldn't be seeing plans for R11.

Quote:
Most other free games manage to use banners and manage to keep alive, so banners is a posibility and banners can be profitable. About a year ago or something like that when Planetarion was made p2p I had a talk with one from the HQ about why they made it p2p instead of free gaming as it had been untill then and he gave me 2 reasons.
1. Ppl was annoyed by the adds and wanted to get rid of them
2. The firm which was administrating the banners that Planetarion used on their site wasn't able to pay Planetarion. (I don't remember the exact numbers but I remember that it was a ****ing huge amount of money that Planetarion had actualy earned on those banners so don't come and tell me that its not posible for PA to earn noney on banners cause I have HQ's own words for it). Because of this Planetarion was in a bad financial situation and wasn't in a position where they could risk taking a chance with banners again.
You can cover costs with banners. You wouldn't be able to raise the amount of money Jolt would want to make their continued involvement viable. Most other games don't have any concerns other than paying for hosting. Most other games aren't owned by companies at all but are run by 'a handful' of people in their spare time. Most other games don't have to generate a profit at all. PA isn't most other games.

Quote:
Your next point eliminates itself by my argumentation earlier.
Which one?

Quote:
You are so right that the competition is harder now and it might be that there is no hope. All I say is that there is one path to go. Either they chose that path or they chose to let PA die. :-(
Making the game free won't entice players in the numbers that would be required to make banner advertising viable. Remaking the game to attract new players instead of trying to appease the remaining ones has a better chance. The likelihood of that would depend on Jolt's commitment to their game, and to the availability of time and skills to rebuild. It would also solve the problem of requiring access to R10 code. However the sheer scale of work involved would mean we'd be waiting a lonnnng time.
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 20:42   #70
Eventh
Retired?

Eventh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How many people paid for a planet this round. Multiply that by the price of a round credit. Unless the figure you're coming up with is 'zero' what you're saying it simply not true. They have probably made enough to cover costs otherwise we wouldn't be seeing plans for R11.
Spinner said somewhere before the round, they needed over 5k paying players to cover the costs.. but i guess running pa is cheaper now, that jolt removed fudge and spinner..
Eventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 20:44   #71
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I think you're probably right, I can't think of anyone who's on the payroll any more so anything above and beyond server and bw costs would be headed to the Jolt coffers.
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 22:14   #72
Fernando
Lieutenant Colonel

Fernando is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oghy
No... No... AND NO...
You cannot compare rounds on which was better. As Depending when you started playing, you will always remember your n00bdays as your most fun and intresting.

-Yogibear

well, ofc it was interesting, but in r9 i remember i had the hell of A LOT of fun, and also.... we (or atleast I) will always be a n00b. You always learn something new, even if it is how to command an alliance formed by yourself, on your own.
There are ALWAYS new experiences.

Quote:
No... No... AND NO...

Hence..... Planetarions Era is over.

-Yogibear

NEVER will be, as long as there are some people like I out there

Community for community - join #PA
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 22:25   #73
cbk100

Quote:

You can cover costs with banners. You wouldn't be able to raise the amount of money Jolt would want to make their continued involvement viable. Most other games don't have any concerns other than paying for hosting. Most other games aren't owned by companies at all but are run by 'a handful' of people in their spare time. Most other games don't have to generate a profit at all. PA isn't most other games.

Which one?

Making the game free won't entice players in the numbers that would be required to make banner advertising viable. Remaking the game to attract new players instead of trying to appease the remaining ones has a better chance. The likelihood of that would depend on Jolt's commitment to their game, and to the availability of time and skills to rebuild. It would also solve the problem of requiring access to R10 code. However the sheer scale of work involved would mean we'd be waiting a lonnnng time.

It was not exacly like I ment that they earned nothing but they aren't earning enough and there is a downward sloping tread which I see no reason why should change.

Well if they can't raise the money needed just with banners then they can just shut it down cause its their only chance...

read up and you will see that I reply to the messages one by one so just look up(sorry I have so little time)

As you see from what Mit posted earlier some 9k players were playing that round and that is quite a raise compared to both r9 and r10 so actualy I think they can and the numbers talk for my advantage...

cbk
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 22:28   #74
Oghy

Oghy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
well, ofc it was interesting, but in r9 i remember i had the hell of A LOT of fun, and also.... we (or atleast I) will always be a n00b. You always learn something new, even if it is how to command an alliance formed by yourself, on your own.
There are ALWAYS new experiences.

NEVER will be, as long as there are some people like I out there
I dont think you seem to get what im saying...
I make a distinction between PaX and PA... (PaX = the SuX and PA was a great game)

I suggest you read my previous posts...
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 22:40   #75
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
It was not exacly like I ment that they earned nothing but they aren't earning enough and there is a downward sloping tread which I see no reason why should change.

Well if they can't raise the money needed just with banners then they can just shut it down cause its their only chance...

read up and you will see that I reply to the messages one by one so just look up(sorry I have so little time)

As you see from what Mit posted earlier some 9k players were playing that round and that is quite a raise compared to both r9 and r10 so actualy I think they can and the numbers talk for my advantage...

cbk
They must be earning enough to keep Jolt sweet if they're going to run Round 11.

As for round 9.5 it was a bad example but served to prove a point. PA wasn't making enough money with 100,000 players from banners alone to sustain itself and two people on the payroll, I very much doubt anything under 25,000 would 'do it' for Jolt.

It would be a shame if it died though, there's a name to build on as Leshy often says, it needs a lot of work and some 'outside of the box' thinking but there's a potential future for the game. I just don't see that future being free.
Unread 12 Dec 2003, 09:47   #76
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

if you're going to bring back banners, do an "either donate £5+ or see the banners" thing.
I dont think that many people will donate more than £5 tho (I'm half surprised to see how many people have paid £10); how much of the playerbase are teenagers and uni students? we're not looking (generally) at the most 'wealthy' section of the market here - I admit £10 isn't that much, but still...
most of the rest of the problem with paying is that people cant be assed, i know paypal, credit cards, debit cards, etc are accepted but most people cant be assed.
advertise how cheap it is - something like "planetarion rounds last 3 months. at £10, that's not even 11p/day!" etc etc.

The other idea i thought of, which is completely "out-of-the-box" / off the wall, is developing planetarion substantially.
Basically, it's doing the opposite of all those games like CS - take a web based game, tart it up, add a few single player features (PAOL? ) and sell it, even if its only like £10. People are more willing to buy things in shops - there's other things that you have to pay for there, unlike online. Then you can have the pure online version of planetarion, and this 'superior' version. Yes it's a huge step and it'd need lots of thought and money, which is why i think it wont happen, but ... it'd be cool .
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2003, 15:48   #77
cbk100

Quote:
They must be earning enough to keep Jolt sweet if they're going to run Round 11.

As for round 9.5 it was a bad example but served to prove a point. PA wasn't making enough money with 100,000 players from banners alone to sustain itself and two people on the payroll, I very much doubt anything under 25,000 would 'do it' for Jolt.

It would be a shame if it died though, there's a name to build on as Leshy often says, it needs a lot of work and some 'outside of the box' thinking but there's a potential future for the game. I just don't see that future being free.
Well as it is now the costs of running the game is not even covered so I don't really think that Jolt is happy about it.

You say that PA didn't make enough money from banners with 100000 players. Well the fact is that you don't know if they did and the fact is that I know that they did make a lot of money from it but a problem arrised and PA didn't get the money they should have gotten (VERY bad luck).
After a few free rounds I'm sure that we are far over 25000 players in this game so if you think that is what is needed to make it work then I don't see that as a problem.

And well for those ppl who doesn't want to look at banners it should be fairly easy to make a donations button where you can donate a sertain amount of money (lets just say $5) and then get rid of the adds.

cbk
Unread 12 Dec 2003, 15:53   #78
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

iirc

donating $5 pretty much means $5 to the CC companies

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2003, 15:57   #79
Buddah
Knight of Ni!

Buddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the rough

well, what if when 2k~ players have signed up, then its free for everyone after that, have a longer sign up period, and saying that if game was free, wouldnt help the memberbase, is a lie, i got 10~ mates to play in r9.5. they would have kept playing if game was free, but since it isnt, then they go to other games, like ********, dom etc.
Buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2003, 16:00   #80
Fernando
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
I make a distinction between PaX and PA... (PaX = the SuX and PA was a great game)

Hmm starting to believe that im not the only one that thinks PaX is going

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Long live the true planetarion

Quote:
You say that PA didn't make enough money from banners with 100000 players. Well the fact is that you don't know if they did and the fact is that I know that they did make a lot of money from it but a problem arrised and PA didn't get the money they should have gotten (VERY bad luck).
After a few free rounds I'm sure that we are far over 25000 players in this game so if you think that is what is needed to make it work then I don't see that as a problem.

cbk
hmm... i think we are saying the same thing over and over again. PA needs to go free for a while, and get more players.

Since i moved from portugal i've been tryin to bring in some spaniards into the game. The problem is that they:
1) dont understand shitte of english, which makes it hard for them to understand the game.
2) are very thick about letting someone help them out.
3) Are really greedy and cheap, and not willing to pay for something they dont know wheter they will like.

I suggest (AGAIN) a few free rounds for the sake of planetarion.

Last edited by Fernando; 12 Dec 2003 at 16:07.
Unread 12 Dec 2003, 16:09   #81
Fernando
Lieutenant Colonel

Talking Re: Question - how will Jolt / Pa give us a round 11 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventh
Spinner said somewhere before the round, they needed over 5k paying players to cover the costs.. but i guess running pa is cheaper now, that jolt removed fudge and spinner..

how true.... a direct hit on jolt.

Unread 12 Dec 2003, 16:59   #82
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well as it is now the costs of running the game is not even covered so I don't really think that Jolt is happy about it.

And well for those ppl who doesn't want to look at banners it should be fairly easy to make a donations button where you can donate a sertain amount of money (lets just say $5) and then get rid of the adds.

cbk
We did in fact make enough money from banners in their hay day and we have 280k accounts. However, the online marketing bubble burst and resulted in the largest online marketing company going bellyup oweing us over £100,000, which as Im sure you understand, plumeted us into an immediate crisis, which forced p2p model to survive.

Last edited by Zeus; 12 Dec 2003 at 17:17.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2003, 23:01   #83
Fernando
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus
oweing us over £100,000,

Ouch

Unread 13 Dec 2003, 14:56   #84
cbk100

Quote:
We did in fact make enough money from banners in their hay day and we have 280k accounts. However, the online marketing bubble burst and resulted in the largest online marketing company going bellyup oweing us over £100,000, which as Im sure you understand, plumeted us into an immediate crisis, which forced p2p model to survive.
£100k OUCH!!! The numbers I was told were somewhere around £50k but 100k is just twice as nasty. With those kind of money PA could survive very well being free.

I know that the online industry is not as profitable as it was a few years ago and I'm aware of the fact that to use banners might not be able to pay for the game like it did some years ago. Atm there is just no alternatives :-(

I don't know how much contact you have with the current HQ but if you do then slap them around and make them bug Jolt to make it free :-)

cbk
Unread 13 Dec 2003, 16:32   #85
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I don't know how much contact you have with the current HQ but if you do then slap them around and make them bug Jolt to make it free :-)

cbk
Tried since round 9, or first round from jolt ownership. But they where adiment no free rounds, as they wanted to generate income immediately.
Unread 13 Dec 2003, 16:42   #86
Fernando
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Tried since round 9, or first round from jolt ownership. But they where adiment no free rounds, as they wanted to generate income immediately.

greeeeedy basterds

Unread 13 Dec 2003, 21:45   #87
cbk100

Quote:
greeeeedy basterds

Hehe yeah...

Sometimes there is not far between being greedy and stupit.
Unread 16 Dec 2003, 02:28   #88
randal
boring

randal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to all

I didn't read all of the above.. and i actually don't think that planetarion can be saved in some way and brought back to more than 3k or what players..

One major thing that is wrong imo is that people who aren't active in an Alliance simply have Nothing to do this round. Like me.. I actually am heavily active on Internet etc., but what shall i do with Planetarion?

This mainly comes from the fact that Clusters have been removed. I haven't played actively since Round6, but since then i always had quite a good time in the Clusters. There are people to talk to, people to defend (the thankfulness of more or less unknown people when you send your fleet over is already worth quite alot), people who defend you etc. if you are allianceless.

Also Clusteralliances probably are the only way to motivate people to use IRC in rather inactive Galaxies. Galaxychans most of the time are Idle, but there's always active and ambitious people in the Cluster who are on the IRC Chan etc. They also motivate the GCs to bring their people to IRC etc., it's the only way it works. It's also the way i came to PA IRC ie dalnet in round1.
I'm sure that a bunch of people from my Galaxy would stick around on IRC alot more if we had a fairly active Clusterchan to hang around and chat a bit. And of course getting help isn't as impossible for them as it is now, being allianceless and quite alone.

Now the actually only thing i can do is sometimes defend Galaxy people, check the always empty Forum and move my fleets out when someone attacks me, which takes me like half a minute every 2 days.
Removing Clusters ruined the last fun i had in PA

To avoid the heavy Cluster-Bashing, Attack Etas inside clusters could be higher than def or something maybe.. but removing them was a big fault imo.

that was long enough already i guess.. There's other things like the new ****ing scans. I'd Really love to know what the biggish people are up to. I so much want the old news scans back where you saw every battle and everything.
At least it's Something to do, looking round what they do. Until you give me anything to do, like implementing a pa-wide pinball game with high scores etc. or something ha ha.

I played some speedclones and so much enjoyed clusters, scans.. and well just one race with 2 trees (sci and war) would be perfect for me aswell, but it seems some people like races.

Give me something to do when i can't attack, cause as soon as i have roids, i'll just lose them.. no def from cluster, hardly any from galaxy.. and no alliance.. at least give me my Clusters back.

I just feel alone and locked in my Planet :/
randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2003, 03:34   #89
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

CrazySpoon is on a distinguished road

Just code some unspecial game like it was in R4-5 and have it be free or very cheap. Lots of people played back then. Get them back damnit. Massive wars and not the lollypop generation wars I have seen last rounds. It was attractive for lots of people. So why make it less atractive and have us pay for it. Just keep the same code as in the early rounds, not much new coding needed, pump it on the server and start it fs. Think you will get back double we have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
CrazySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2003, 03:37   #90
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

CrazySpoon is on a distinguished road

Heh just read randals post, and he is damn right. Cluster alliances etc are needed to be active on IRC for a reason.

R11 oldstyle
R11 free to attract people
R11 very cheap. 10 planets for $15 etc
Private gals back in R12
Price same or a bit higher not more then $20 for 10 planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
CrazySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2003, 04:29   #91
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

well about this, take a read at my thread PAs Economy..it has some suggestions about hot to get PA back in gear .

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2003, 04:30   #92
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

its on the suggestions thread

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote