User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

View Poll Results: Is the Passport a good idea?
Yes 41 27.15%
No 66 43.71%
Yes, Change the look though 44 29.14%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 21:52   #1
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Passport

Ok, The Passport, some like it, some don't. Some of you like the concept but hate the 'look'. I will admit, that X is FAR too big for a start.

But, I would like other comments on the Passport, Do you think its worth it, would you prefer ONE central PA login for everything if we get it all srted out and keep peoples forum nicks properly.

Please Vote / Comment here.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were

Last edited by Mit; 30 Oct 2003 at 22:00.
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 22:02   #2
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Killerbij is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Passprt

I think the passport is pretty useless atm. Nevertheless I think it should remain with one change though; players should only be able to access their account via the passport login. Linking a planetarion planet and a passport completely. I think it would increase the effort for multies quite a bit (as regular players take their passport with them over the rounds) and it makes tracking them a bit easier.
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 22:47   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've always thought the Passport was a good idea, although it was brought in way too rushed with everything duct-taped together for it to be a success last time.

What you would need in my opinion, is one central database from which the game, forums and portal draw their userdata. Last time Karmulian said that it would be well nigh impossible to do, especially with vBulletin not being very generous in that area, so that may still be the case, but make sure you have a look at this. Running a system from several databases interlinked is going to cause trouble. It may be a good deal more work in the beginning, but it's best to put up a good system that works if you want to use the Passport for a longer period of time.

As for the Passport look, I feel that the current Portal, although graphically pleasing, is very bloated, resolution-incompatible (it still doesn't fit in 1024) and uses way too many large graphics. The Passport page should be fairly small, look different from the Planetarion Portal in order to avoid confusion. Design the page in a working and functional layout, add graphics to accomodate - not the other way around.

My idea of the system as it would ideally work:
  • http://www.planetarion.com should link to a page which checks if you are logged into the Passport or not. If you are, then it takes you to the Passport Control Center. If not, then you get a splash page, with a very cool looking graphic, and a short description of what Planetarion is, as well as links to go to the Portal, to Log In, to Sign up, and one for the Manual.
  • Following the Portal link takes you to http://portal.planetarion.com, which does NOT have the Passport integrated, but does use it for the support system and any news regarding Planetarion.
  • Log In takes you to the Passport Control Center (login page). After logging in, the user has access to the features of the Passport Control Center.
  • Sign Up takes you to the Passport Control Center (sign-up page). Upon signing up to the Passport, a Forum Account is created, as well as a planet, which is not put into the universe yet, or into a portion of the universe that cannot be viewed, I'm sure Fudge can code this sort of thing in. When the user is signed up to the Passport, he gains access to the features of the Passport Control Center.
  • Manual link will, surprisingly, take one to the manual.
  • The Passport Control Center is a page looking proffessional, stylish, and somewhat 'clean'. No big fancy graphics, just a crisp looking page with functionality as the single #1 priority. On the Passport System, only news regarding Events (Planetarion Rounds, Speed Rounds) is posted. It contains a signup page, a login page, a personal page (which is where the Planetarion User Database or whatever that Hot or Not replacement idea is called comes in), a payment section where payment details are given and from where he can purchase credits, and an events section where the user can sign up for events, log into events. The Passport System should also include links to the manual, forum and portal, all of which open in a new window, as does the event you log into.
  • Upon the first time a user logs into the Passport, a message is displayed telling him he has a free Planetarion planet awaiting, and that he needs to go to the Events section and click on Planetarion: Round Y, or on the "Event: PaY" button which should be on the main page. When he does so, he is asked to fill out any Planet details that are still required (ruler name etc), upon which the planet is moved into whatever part of the universe will be used for free planets in the next round. From then on, whenever the player logs into the Passport, he can log into the game directly by clicking on the button.
  • The Portal should contain all Planetarion news, things like columns, support section, and all that. The manual could have the same look as the portal, or a different one, whatever floats your boat. As long as it's functional, and looks a lot better than the current plaintext one.
  • In effect, this would lead to you having several modules, with a single login system (the PCC being the core module). This would avoid confusion about what is located where (everything crammed into one page isn't fun navigating), without creating an overly big amount of different sections that would confuse users.
  • - Passport Control Center (http://passport.planetarion.com)
    -- Planetarion Portal (http://portal.planetarion.com)
    -- Planetarion Game (goes through the passport)
    -- Planetarion Forums (http://pirate.planetarion.com)
    -- Planetarion Manual (http://manual.planetarion.com)
My 2 cents.

Edit: Here's a diagram to clarify.

Last edited by Leshy; 30 Oct 2003 at 23:23.
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 23:20   #4
arfy

arfy is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked the old style portal, in the way that you could be in the portal and there'd be a bar at the top with login for the game. I did like that.
also, i know its a 'pa revolution' and stuff, but the forum colours/stuff doesnt really fit into the game ddesign i feel.
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 23:25   #5
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfy
also, i know its a 'pa revolution' and stuff, but the forum colours/stuff doesnt really fit into the game ddesign i feel.
Actually, the graphics were done for the portal, and then later converted to a forum style
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 23:56   #6
arfy

arfy is an unknown quantity at this point

oh yeah... i meant the portal as well :P
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 00:30   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A brief uneducated analysis:

-This time round it was rushed, the goals of the system were as clearly defined as a feather through cataracts and the people who were going to be using it were an afterthought to the concept.

-It's not a necessity, it's a gimmick. People don't generally use the portal for anything but login so unless content in that area is about to explode nothing's going to change there.

-If you link it to forum accounts it means that some nefarious type only has to crack one password instead of two or more to gain total access to that persona.

+It would however see more people with forum accounts and so some more audience participation.

+It'd also potentially give the portal a larger scope for actually being useful instead of being as it is now; replaceable with a login box and a link to the manual.

-It makes stopping multies no more easy since they'd have to have created accounts for the game to multi in the first place, they're just creating accounts on a different part of the system now

-Similarly for tracking multies, same IPs, different login prompts

But since having the whole scheme revoked seems unlikely I would suggest having some actual portal content to back up making people sign up for this passport. Security's always going to be an issue, especially since you've only got the one sign-in name (whereas I like others used to keep different sign-in names for the game and the forums).

Incidentally, I'm pleased there's a post asking for opinions about this. There's a certain other management under whom it would never have happened.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 00:47   #8
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Edit: Here's a diagram to clarify.
i didnt read all that ***** but this is so funny
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 00:58   #9
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flayer
i didnt read all that ***** but this is so funny
It's a bit crude and hasty, but a fairly normal way of drawing up an early plan of how a system should work internally.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 01:37   #10
Deviant

Deviant has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I generally like the idea of a passport, but then thinking of it reminds me of microsoft :/ (don't ask).

Deviant initiative - join #Deviant
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 02:30   #11
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

No passport.

It's a day late, and several dollars short :/

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 02:40   #12
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Thumbs down Re: Passprt

No Passport.

Passport : PA :: Deck chairs : Titanic
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 02:41   #13
Browolf
Veteran

Browolf is an unknown quantity at this point

i like the portal but it should be one login for all things. I miss way too may things cos i hardly ever look at it. 3 different places to go is just too much effort.

Embrace the wind with both arms, Stop the clouds dead in sky, Hang your head no more,
And beg no more, Brother Wolf and Sister Moon
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 14:15   #14
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point

Put yourself in the position of a new visitor to PA, who is considering playing - which is EXACTLY the sort of person we most need to bring into the game.

As eveyone does, they, will ignore the waffle and hit the big 'signup' button to see if they like the game.

They are then confronted by a page asking for 'login name' 'display name' and P-nick, with a warning that they can't use "advanced features" unless they go off-site to get a P-nick. If they don't give up because they have no idea why they are being asked for 3 different names and follow the netgamers link they end up on a page that doesn't mention the word "P-nick".

Assuming they realike that hitting "register here" on the P login box is the way to get a "P-nick". They then are asked for yet another Name (their 4th so far), and can then carry on to reg a nick.

After all that, and a exchange of e-mails they can finally fill out the signup form on the portal.

How happy are they going to be that after going through this messy process that haven;t signed up for the game at all, what they signed up for is a "Passport" that doesn't appear to actually do anything at all!

How many people have given up by this stage?

If they do carry on to find out if they like this game, and they are lucky enough to find and follow the other, tiny little 'signup' link at the bottom of the portal to get to the game itself, then they end up at a page that looks totally different to the portal, asking for their first name second name, username, rulername, planetname and alliance name - making around a dozen different 'names' they have been asked for... and guess what, if they go back to the portal to look in the manual, thay can't find definitions of all these new terms - especially when clicking the 'manual' button on the left doesn't change anything apart from he menu items below it!.

This is totally absurd. If you wanted to design a system of obscuring the way to start playing the game, you could hardly come up with something that is more tortuous and likely to put people off.

No wonder we are not getting many new players!

If you look at what is actually on the portal, it can *all* be placed more usefully in the game itself.

News should be a link from the motd in the game when it changes, the 'forums' should be called 'universe forum' and be placed next to the galaxy forum i the game, support isn't needed until after sign-up, the manual should be a link on every game page like it used to be, payment belongs on the preferences page, and irc in with the comm-unit.

Putting all this in the right place would leave www.planetarion.com with just the 3 things it needs: the login to the game, a link for new players to sign up, and a link to an introduction to the game aimed purely at newcomers.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 15:20   #15
Deviant

Deviant has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Yeah, i have to agree with Andy_r. As i said before, i like the passport idea, but after reading his post i kinda understood how hard it would be for a new user, to actually make it into Planetarion itself.

Deviant initiative - join #Deviant
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 16:56   #16
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

the passport itself was never completed and fully linked into the game, assuming it was all sorted out for round 11, this would be the case, and once you had an account. You would just be able to click 'events' and get a listing of the current polanetarion events going on, be they normal games, speed games, world cup etc. Then from this, you would be able to click 'play' and be asked a few quick questions (planet name / ruler name etc) and then that be it. No more needing to fill in all your personal details each time you sign up to the game, as these would already be in the passport.

Unread 31 Oct 2003, 17:17   #17
Andy_r
X$X

Is saving people from retyping their info once every 3 months better than putting off potential new customers?

If this functionality is important, why not just use the existing PA log in and prompt for a new ruler/planetname when a new round/speedgame starts?
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 18:16   #18
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_r
Is saving people from retyping their info once every 3 months better than putting off potential new customers?
If done correctly, there is no reason why a Passport system would have to put off any users. In fact, it would make things simpler for users as they would only have to register once, and then have a central place from which they can access any part of the game, without having to go through some huge interface, hunting for the information they need. And they wouldn't have to re-register for forums, speedgames, future rounds, and whatever else could be tied into the Passport system (IRC features, PA Gallery, whatever etc). In addition, you'd have a central place where your credits would be stored, so you don't have to log into the game or whatever to access/upgrade accounts, pay for speed accounts, and all that.

The idea itself isn't bad at all.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 18:46   #19
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I like the stats you get for your own planet/gal/alliance on the portal.

I also think a single login for everything would make life a lot easier.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 03:52   #20
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Re: Passport

1 login, 1 name and irc has to be included
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 15:54   #21
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chax
irc is a problem

what if someone has your chosen nick on irc already?

also, there's a feeling that allowing people to register nicks on the pa site would be bad, as it means that don't see what's available on the netgamers site, such as channel and bot registration.

-mist
csc director
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 16:47   #22
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chax
Since NG isn't a part of PA any more (or at least that was the 'story') I don't see why the passport should be linked to P in any way.
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 18:07   #23
Mit
Let battle commence

NG is not anything to do with PA, your right there, but i have been talking to the PA CSC Rep and trying to sort an arrangement for the IRC to somehow be linked to PA. Its in discusssions at the moment, we shall see what we can do

Unread 3 Nov 2003, 19:03   #24
Pwhite
fish

Pwhite is an unknown quantity at this point

I normally pass straight through the portal atm and go straight to the login page, its annoying having to login once into the portal then havin to login into the game.

At least give the portal a cookie to save your details so that you dont have to login twice.
rnd 5 - unknown/gcircle
rnd 6 - gcircle
rnd 7 - gcircle
rnd 8 - gcircle
rnd 9 - gcircle
rnd 9.5 - gcircle
rnd 10 - gcircle
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 19:41   #25
Mit
Let battle commence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwhite
I normally pass straight through the portal atm and go straight to the login page, its annoying having to login once into the portal then havin to login into the game.

At least give the portal a cookie to save your details so that you dont have to login twice.
the plan is one central login. thus, yes, only ONE login

Unread 4 Nov 2003, 08:34   #26
General1
Rah's def wh0re

General1 will become famous soon enoughGeneral1 will become famous soon enough

I logged in 1ens 2 my passport this round, Don't even know my login/pass anymore
Rd4 ---> 246 24 10 Silverwolf of Limburg [TFD] [Cell] [NFU]
Rd5 ---> 34 11 19 The great Returning of me [Cell] [NFU]
Rd6----> 6 25 10 Chappa'ai of NOX Homeland (Whitebull) [Silver BC]
Rd7----> 18 18 1 Klaj Demon of Gateway from Hell [RAH]
Rd8----> 36 5 6 1 More TIME of Free Traders Inc [RAH]
Rd9----> 16 2 10 Clan McIntosh of Stardust Guardian [RAH]
Rd9.5 ---> 15 9 9 Nightshade of Sherwood forest [RAH]
Rd10 ----> [RAH]
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 22:28   #27
Pwhite
fish

Pwhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit
the plan is one central login. thus, yes, only ONE login
might have bin the plan but it never actually happened :/
rnd 5 - unknown/gcircle
rnd 6 - gcircle
rnd 7 - gcircle
rnd 8 - gcircle
rnd 9 - gcircle
rnd 9.5 - gcircle
rnd 10 - gcircle
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 02:50   #28
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Yeah...
One login for
Forums, game account and passport would be sweet!

If you have to, let passport + PA run all it's 'user info' off the VBulletin forums and just have a small database outside the VBulletin one for
co-ords, rulernames, planetnames etc.

Also, I agree
We need a SPLASH screen if the user isn't loged in...

Yeah well, good luck with round 11 and all these new ... complaints

-=] Vencedor [=-
IPC 'till the end!

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 18:51   #29
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point

wtf is the passport. It's not something I want which essentially means it's something I have to do that I don' care about - ie effort.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 23:57   #30
Hurragutten

Hurragutten is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see the point in the passport
Unread 12 Nov 2003, 00:43   #31
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

The point is to have one central place to log in, so you don't have to seperately log into: Forums, Game, Portal, Speedgames, etc.

In addition it'd allow to have a central place to store personal details, credits, etc. That way you wouldn't have to sign up with all your details again each round/speedgame, as well would it allow for any prizes (such as credits, or perhaps those that can be mailed out) to be delivered without having the need for a whole mail conversation.
Unread 13 Nov 2003, 11:14   #32
Hurragutten

Hurragutten is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
The point is to have one central place to log in, so you don't have to seperately log into: Forums, Game, Portal, Speedgames, etc.

In addition it'd allow to have a central place to store personal details, credits, etc. That way you wouldn't have to sign up with all your details again each round/speedgame, as well would it allow for any prizes (such as credits, or perhaps those that can be mailed out) to be delivered without having the need for a whole mail conversation.

You still have to log in all those places today?
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 16:19   #33
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_r
Extended Whinge
Tbh mate, i dont see why your proposal of streamlining signup and the new (proposed) passport system have to be mutally exclusive.

I see the ideal Passport being the most efficient means of login and signup that can possibly be achieved. Whether or not this system is actually coded effectively and implemented wisely is yet to be seen, but in a way i think the passport is actually the solution to the signup problem.

Mind you, the points you raise are all valid concerns, though. :\
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 19:12   #34
Andy_r
X$X

I'd have no problem with it if it did what it was supposed to do.

but giving it such a high priority at www.planetarion.com now, given that it doesn't afaik do anything at all yet is ridiculous.

PA needs new customers, so the whole process should be based around getting sign-ups.

Once a new player has a planet, ONLY THEN do they need/want irc, a forum account, to create a planet for the next round and so on.

These options (let's be clear about this, they ARE optional, we are not all hardcore gamers, forum posters and irc active!) could usefully be put on the overview page along with the option to upgrade to a paid account.

Unread 14 Jan 2005, 15:20   #35
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

**bump**
it's been a while but I still think that a single sign-up and a single sign-in would be awesome
As for not all players wanting a forum account etc, just cuz you HAVE one doesn't mean you HAVE to use it
It'd just mean it's there

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 15:57   #36
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

one day there will be a passport, its simply a question of coding time.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread