User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 15 Oct 2003, 10:54   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Perl: A decent "beginners guide"?

Ok, so today we got the spec for our first part of the group projects module, which basicly goes "Ok, we want you to automate the university timetable construction process. Oh, and we want it web based. Oh yes, in PERL please. Also, we're not going to teach you PERL."

Soooooooooooooo.
I've found no end of reference sites listing functions in categories, alphabetically, by number of inputs they take, by what colour boxers the programmer was wearing when he wrote them - but nowhere can I find a decent site that gives PERL syntax.
The kind of thing I'm looking for are just a couple of example of how the basics work (things variable types and declaration, operators such as if, for, while etc).

thanks.
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 13:25   #2
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Perl: A decent "beginners guide"?

I used the "Teach yourself Perl in 21 days" e-book when i had to do some Perl ast year, it covers all the basics...but dunno if it deals with web-based stuff at all, as I wasn't interested in that....i got it from a friend, and now can't find it on my PC, but i'm sure it can be "aquired" from somewhere (if its not freely downloadable...)
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 16:57   #3
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Ok, so today we got the spec for our first part of the group projects module, which basicly goes "Ok, we want you to automate the university timetable construction process. Oh, and we want it web based. Oh yes, in PERL please. Also, we're not going to teach you PERL."

Soooooooooooooo.
I've found no end of reference sites listing functions in categories, alphabetically, by number of inputs they take, by what colour boxers the programmer was wearing when he wrote them - but nowhere can I find a decent site that gives PERL syntax.
The kind of thing I'm looking for are just a couple of example of how the basics work (things variable types and declaration, operators such as if, for, while etc).

thanks.
Someones panicing, wait till you get into the labs, then start doing a copy and paste with the code they give you (yes, i did the same project at the same uni last year)

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 19:42   #4
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

http://books.perl.org/book/101

Learning Perl by oreilly i think.
I don't know how much programming exerience you have. I had 2.5 years and firm knowledge of C, C++ and Java at that time though.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 19:51   #5
AllFather|away
Big Kahuna

AllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit
, then start doing a copy and paste with the code they give you (yes, i did the same project at the same uni last year)
Yes, we could see that on the old "planetariontool" page...

DTA
Support the liberation of "AllFather"
AllFather|away is offline   Reply With Quote