User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 1 Sep 2003, 18:57   #1
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Portal resolution

I recall the discusion about the temporary portal not being any good in 800*600, and how approx 40% of people on the net using that res, while almost 50% used 1024*768.

However this new portal is even worse. Now even users with 1024*768 res get scrollbars vertical and horisontal. What went through the designers minds when they made a page that isn't user friendly for 90% of users?

I didn't notice this until now, because I run 1280*1024 at home, but now that holidays are over and I'm back to work I'm on shared computers. I keep setting them all to 1024*768 which is the max res they can handle, but older colleagues change it back to 800*600 due to their eyesight.
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 23:11   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
To be honest, it now looks horrific. no idea who chose the colour scheme but as for viewing in 800*600...terrible.

If I actually had to use the portal, I'd feel like killing whoever decided on the size. However, I've now created separate Favourite links to beta login, main login, manual and forums to get round it.

Did I mention I was on dial-up?
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 15:32   #3
KillGhost
1Up

KillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really nice
I just switched back from 1152 x 864 to 800 x 600 to checkout the portal. It indeed is a horrific site. Half the screen is literally filled up with the x. bad bad bad.
[Spore] HC
Former Public Relations Officer of QQ
KillGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 17:45   #4
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold
it is quite awful...

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 18:29   #5
Sally
Yo' Bitch

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't forget, too, that not all users have their browsers full-screen. My resolution may be 1024x768 but my browser window is about 650 pixels wide.

Sally
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 18:32   #6
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use 1024x768, and for some reason the bottom half of the X gets repeated a couple of times and just looks ****. The only time I've seen it look decent when I was in the school computer lab on a computer with some high resolution.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 02:56   #7
Parthos
lippy bint

Parthos is an unknown quantity at this point
There was a thread where we talked about this before the round began, when the new portal was brand spanking new and I was like "ummm why is it 1024 x 768?." The answer was "basically everyone can view 1024 x 768 and we wanted to use fixed widths instead of variable widths."

Of course, when they decide to design for 1024 x 768 monitor resolution, they made everything EXACTLY 1024 wide so, as some have already mentioned above, for folks who don't like to make their browser full screen or who foolishly have maybe a up/down scrollbar feature in their browser, they're still screwed.

Same goes for the 800 x 600 ingame design. Who on earth decided that web browsers didn't have application borders or scroll bars and concluded that EXACTLY 800 pixels was the perfect width? I mean, you learn that in Web Design 101 on the first day, right after they show you the 'any' key.

Web Design 101:
1) (points to key) This is the 'any' key.
2) When designing for a specific monitor resolution, always make your pages 20 or more pixels narrower, to account for browser borders and scrollbars.
3) Ok, now it's noon, have a good lunch.

The result of skipping day 1 of Web Design 101 is a game interface that is supposedly designed for but doesn't even work on 800 x 600 resolution, producing a horizonatal scroll bar at even that size. Brilliant!
12:17 AM: Cochese: if PA team was a liquor, they'd be that plastic-half gallon for $8 stuff
Parthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 21:31   #8
LFFPicard
Slaphead Officer

LFFPicard is an unknown quantity at this point
pld the professional game industry
(@Zeus): nudest beach
(@Zeus): yes THAT WAS A JOKE, pls dont quote
LFFPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 21:51   #9
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
As i said last time this topic came up, the decision was made based on a number of factors. Yes, its a bit too wide at the moment, i've been meaning to trim it down, but have a list of other things that need doing,

you want new forums...
you want new tools...

Some things get delayed so as to get others sorted...

yes it will be done, i can't say when, cos i don't know, i know its not a large job, i will do it as soon as i can.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 21:56   #10
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
The reasons we have for choosing the resolution of 1024x768 are well documented in the previous thread that was about the splash screen.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...hreadid=167999

We know there is a small horizontal scroll atm caused by the vertical scrollbar taking up some room, and we have got plans to trim the graphics by about 30 pixels width to make it fit. However time is currently being devoted to Toolkit and Forums and so adjustments like this have taken a lower priority atm.
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 01:44   #11
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by A2
The reasons we have for choosing the resolution of 1024x768 are well documented in the previous thread that was about the splash screen.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...hreadid=167999

We know there is a small horizontal scroll atm caused by the vertical scrollbar taking up some room, and we have got plans to trim the graphics by about 30 pixels width to make it fit. However time is currently being devoted to Toolkit and Forums and so adjustments like this have taken a lower priority atm.
Then leave forums as they are until you've fixed the portal.
The forums are working fine, the portal is not working fine.
Now I realise that you don't like the maxim If it works, don't fix it. But please, don't ruin a part that works before you've cleaned up the portal.
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 21:07   #12
Parthos
lippy bint

Quote:
Originally posted by Mit
As i said last time this topic came up, the decision was made based on a number of factors. Yes, its a bit too wide at the moment, i've been meaning to trim it down, but have a list of other things that need doing,

Some things get delayed so as to get others sorted...

yes it will be done, i can't say when, cos i don't know, i know its not a large job, i will do it as soon as i can.
I know you mean well and it's a lot of work making everything etc...

But do you realize we have been mentioning the "the 800 pixel wide game interface is a bit too wide" issue for several rounds now? Like, since round 5 or so? I appreciate that you intend to improve it; however for my own sanity I hold no expectation that it will ever actually happen and will be properly surprised if it does
12:17 AM: Cochese: if PA team was a liquor, they'd be that plastic-half gallon for $8 stuff
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 08:53   #13
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
Then leave forums as they are until you've fixed the portal.
The forums are working fine, the portal is not working fine.
Now I realise that you don't like the maxim If it works, don't fix it. But please, don't ruin a part that works before you've cleaned up the portal.
What you don't know about, doesn't effect you... No, the forums are NOT Working fine (there are a few things going wrong that you don't know about)... The new forums were suppost to be ready for round 10 anyway and are virtually ready now, its out of my hands and back with Karm.

Unread 17 Sep 2003, 08:56   #14
Mit
Let battle commence

Quote:
Originally posted by Parthos
I know you mean well and it's a lot of work making everything etc...

But do you realize we have been mentioning the "the 800 pixel wide game interface is a bit too wide" issue for several rounds now? Like, since round 5 or so? I appreciate that you intend to improve it; however for my own sanity I hold no expectation that it will ever actually happen and will be properly surprised if it does
there was a lot to be considered when designing the interface and picking the res, ok, i get the point perhaps the X is a little too large. BUT don't forget, this interface is for a standard look across all parts of the Passport (which includes things like hte toolkit, pay center, manual, support etc). I know for a fact it would look awful to cramp the toolkit into 800*600, it was 1024+ from the start and no-one complained.

Read the other post, that says exactly what went on... why we made the decisions etc.

Unread 17 Sep 2003, 10:35   #15
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Why can't the toolkit look like this?

http://www.abe11.dial.pipex.com/pilkaramozilla.jpg

... and of course spending a few minutes swapping the fixed widths for wariable ones would solve all the problems.

When I get a bit of spare time, I'll take a look at the portal html and make a working version of the front page to show you how easy it is.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 17:40   #16
Karmulian

Quote:
Originally posted by Mit
What you don't know about, doesn't effect you... No, the forums are NOT Working fine (there are a few things going wrong that you don't know about)... The new forums were suppost to be ready for round 10 anyway and are virtually ready now, its out of my hands and back with Karm.

Doing it in what little free time i have at the moment
design - complete
functinality - complete
account integration - complete
portal integration - complete
final tidying up - 1/2 done

if i can get the last bit done on saturday I see know reason we couldn't go live a couple of days after that..

I can assure u however the forums do not have the same GFX issues that the portal does - it uses the same color scheme but the header images are different (for obvious reasons).

watch {this}* space

* The location of {} is cleary defined in the project document (located in karms head) - if u don't know the location.. its a pity as it will not enable you to watch it..#

#The Management apologies for the above drivel
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 11:00   #17
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit
there was a lot to be considered when designing the interface and picking the res, ok, i get the point perhaps the X is a little too large. BUT don't forget, this interface is for a standard look across all parts of the Passport (which includes things like hte toolkit, pay center, manual, support etc). I know for a fact it would look awful to cramp the toolkit into 800*600, it was 1024+ from the start and no-one complained.

Read the other post, that says exactly what went on... why we made the decisions etc.
Sorry to say this Mit but ever thought that people didnt complain about the toolkit last round because there were 'better' options they could use. The portal doesnt have this benefit which is why your getting complaints now. With everything now being done through the passport system thus the portal being the entry point to access all parts of the game/community it should have been designed to work on all common resolutions, which 800x600 is as it is used by 40 odd percent of the internet still, else your preventing customers form using the game fully and giving off a bad image.

No doubt that it looks pretty good when your running it in 1600x1200 Like i am on this machine but I struggle to use it on one of my old machines that i use from time to time when this ones doing something else due to it only running 800x600 which ends up making it worse to use than the old portal. There has to be something you could do to sort this problem, be it a differnt layour depending on your screen size or reducing the size of it for everyone
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 23:50   #18
Parthos
lippy bint

Quote:
Originally posted by Mit

Read my post and notice how I digressed into talking about the game interface. When all is said and done, I have no interest in the portal and you can make it 3000 pixels wide for all I care. There's nothing there I need or use, and please keep it that way as I can't be arsed bothering to load that half-page-filling bix X graphic ever again