User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 11 Sep 2003, 16:29   #1
BuddhistPunk

BuddhistPunk is an unknown quantity at this point
BT Openworld & IpCop Firewall

BT have recently enabled ADSL at my exchange

Hoorah!!!!

Which means that I can now ditch the nuckle dragging neanderthals at Tele2 Wireless

Hoorah Hoorah!!!!!

I was using Smoothwall/IpCop as a internet router/firewall and would like to keep the same setup. Does anybody know if it is possible to configure IpCop to use the BTOpenworld USB Modem?

Although they would be nice, I am not looking for step by step instructions. A simple yes/no would suffice.
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 23:20   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It depends on the model of the modem.
IPCop supports relatively few broadband devices over USB (I know, I use it too) and support can be temperamental to say the least.

If the modem has an ethernet connection option then for the love of god use that instead. When connecting over ethernet, the modem automatically configures itself and then connects exactly as a PC would do.
With my IPCop setup, I have a couple of netgear switches on the green side to distribute the connection between the PCs needing it, and on the red side is the NTL cable modem connected using ethernet.
"Configuring" the modem connection like that is simply a case of pluging the cable in to the modem and IPCop and walking off.

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 12:02   #3
BuddhistPunk

That is more or less the same configuration that I am currently using with Tele2 as their "speedbox" is ethernet based.

Unfortunately the BTO box only has USB connectivity and from previous experience I know that linux can be shakey as hell when it comes to USB.

OS of the future my arse
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 15:03   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Support has probably been improved in IPCop 1.3 - I'm still using 1.2 for various technical reasons, mostly (how unsurprising) related to MSN Messenger and file transfers.

As for OS of the future, I think we'll leave that debate for another thread. So far as I'm concerned it's well suited for a role like this where stability and uptime with little to no administration is what you want.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 16:33   #5
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
afaik, the BT 'frog' (Alcatal thing) is well supported in Linux. I use the less common Fujitsu FDX310 USB modem, and can't say i have any problems with it in Linux (Gentoo - home built / setup router).

Try looking on the IPCop website and checking supported hardware, or the other option u've got... is not to get the modem as part of the connection and get your own (look at places like dabs.com, they have internal (PCI) and external (USB / Eth) ADSL modems).

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 00:19   #6
BuddhistPunk

Well this evening I configured IPCop 1.3 with the USB DSL connection and I was surprised at how easy it was. All working fine.

Funny thing is that before installing IPCop I tested the DSL connection on a windows box (just to make sure BT had kept its promise and enabled my line) - within 2 minutes of doing this the XP Gateway/Firewall and both machines connected to it were infected with the Welchia virus, grrrrr. This virus never managed to make it through IPCop or my previous firewall (smootwall)

Windows OS of the future my arse

hmmm, I detect a recurring theme here