User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Jun 2003, 13:33   #51
Petru
mefs

Petru is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Elysium is just scared of losing their scan database source

Username: HobbieRogue4
Password: ****petru

I was 'angry' a lot back then. :/
Petru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 14:11   #52
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Petru
These scans that aren't used for anything blah blah blah...

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 14:27   #53
kaos
peon

kaos is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
wow, finally someone got my only intention i was doing that *eg*
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 14:33   #54
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Ely never attacked me because of my 100 k ion canons...

Like nobody ever forgess a scan to show it to his friends. The TFD scantools were never opened for outsiders use. Simply because the scanbase is too easy to mess up.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 16:51   #55
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

whoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Pitchfork
afaik Bayes' Theories were more about probability based upon prior measurements. I'm not quite sure, if it applies to this problem, but it could be worth a try. You'll need a recursive algorithm with lots of dependent and even more explanatory variables though, which is most prolly one hell of a work to code And you'll never gain exact results, but it is better to have something near to the outcome than nothing.
I think it will be a perfect application, and not that hard to code. Won't need to be recursive - someone will have to put up a site where people can post their combat reports.

I think it would be fun. Any alliance intrested in recruiting me ?

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo
whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 22:21   #56
Toop
Banned

Toop is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I doubt ely uses the scans parsed on pilkara. It doesn't fit their style, and I think they are good enough to not need cheating like that.

I've always liked pilkara and it would be a shame if it disappeared. Thanks for making it kaos .
Toop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 22:43   #57
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

Quote:
Originally posted by Toop
I doubt ely uses the scans parsed on pilkara. It doesn't fit their style, and I think they are good enough to not need cheating like that.

I've always liked pilkara and it would be a shame if it disappeared. Thanks for making it kaos .
If I were running ely, I would.

If you don't want them to have intel, don't give it to them.

Spend 3 minutes parsing your own scans, its _not_ that hard...

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 23:28   #58
kaos
peon

Quote:
Originally posted by whoop
If I were running ely, I would.

If you don't want them to have intel, don't give it to them.

Spend 3 minutes parsing your own scans, its _not_ that hard...

-whoop
well, what i always wonder is what crucial info you could get from looking at the scans (well, you could do race stats, thats kinda the only thing i could imagine, and even that i could get way better from just storing the scans we use for attacking every day)
and pilkara has atm 28,655 parsed scans ... makes 3k scans each day. pls tell me any crazy guy who would check 3k scans each day for (well ... what to check anyways ? see above)
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 23:32   #59
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
ITs also not cheating.

If I were designing the tool I wouldnt use the scans, simply because it would leak and then no one would use a tool I spent a long time working on.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 23:53   #60
Stress
Resurected

Stress can only hope to improve
Kaos > most
only thing that would scare me if i where running an alliance. Where in game advantages due to alliance implementation and/or the tools being implimented.

I know 100% certain that after my stay in Elysium, I would newer be content with the tools provided in game. Elysium is blessed with coders. And we are probably spoiled etc...

But if advantages are gicen to alliances using the in game tools and hosting. Where this innformation is not accessable for an outside site. Like all mayor alliance sites. Some of the spirrit dies.
Besides, what alliance would be content not having totall controll of its own entety ? IT would totally reform the alliances and thoughts around them. Atleast that is how I see it. And allso make it to simple. To easy to just make somthing etc, unlike the alliances of today. whom have stayed inn the game, with reasons like. Ive put to much work down to leave this now etc.

I dont think personally that annything in game can match what is made by outside coders. As the need is seen from a far better angle, by alliances and staff of those. SO I doubt sites like pilkara are threatened really.

I guess im ranting now. but i miss ranting on these forums so please bear with me.

Stress
Stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 00:18   #61
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by kaos
well, what i always wonder is what crucial info you could get from looking at the scans (well, you could do race stats, thats kinda the only thing i could imagine, and even that i could get way better from just storing the scans we use for attacking every day)
and pilkara has atm 28,655 parsed scans ... makes 3k scans each day. pls tell me any crazy guy who would check 3k scans each day for (well ... what to check anyways ? see above)
For starters I'd have an analysis of planetary relationships drawn up from news scans. List of known hostiles with 3 fleets out (combined mil/news scan data). Alerts when scans of my own alliance are parsed (someone parses a scan of an alliance planet at 2:30am, news scan it at 3:30am and 4:30am if they're offline)...

The list goes on and on
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 01:20   #62
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
For starters I'd have an analysis of planetary relationships drawn up from news scans. List of known hostiles with 3 fleets out (combined mil/news scan data). Alerts when scans of my own alliance are parsed (someone parses a scan of an alliance planet at 2:30am, news scan it at 3:30am and 4:30am if they're offline)...

The list goes on and on
You're rather good at this.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 10:31   #63
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Oh kaos ... come on ... you and me know that you could use the scans for more. Indeed I have had the joy to use your eads sometimes, too. And since you are an excellent coder we both know that it would not be too hard that, when a target galaxy is picked and inserted into eads, eads could easily look up if there are stored scans in the database, and how old they are.

And it damn looks like eads is doing so ... or at least did so in r8.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 11:33   #64
Toop
Banned

Toop is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been told EADS has its own scan parsing thing that only members have access to. That might be what you're referring to.
Toop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 11:37   #65
kaos
peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Heartless
Oh kaos ... come on ... you and me know that you could use the scans for more. Indeed I have had the joy to use your eads sometimes, too. And since you are an excellent coder we both know that it would not be too hard that, when a target galaxy is picked and inserted into eads, eads could easily look up if there are stored scans in the database, and how old they are.

And it damn looks like eads is doing so ... or at least did so in r8.
eads used (to bored to put this in again) scans from pilkara.
but only scans which where pasted thru the internal pilkara (so we could trust them, and not for attacks as well, only for def purpose).
and why should we use any scans we can not trust ? thats just ridiculous. And about r8: i was a scanner that time and i scanned 3 gals every night, and if you really think that such a thing would be usefull, then you clearly have no clue what scans in pilkara are
(current stats:
2451 battlereport
11383 military
15350 news
134 pds
2144 sector
1111 unit
)
and i doubt that there are more than 10 recent scans which you could use for attacking.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 12:55   #66
Dreadnought

good riddens to ely spyware
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 13:13   #67
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Re: PA trying to get rid of external tools ?

Quote:
From the recent news, some personal talks and some rumors it seems that one of the aims for Round 10 seems to be to kill off external tools (either private or public).

[... blah blah ...]

All this lets me really see this game finally losing its old community it once had.
"Personal talk"
"Rumours"
"Seems that"

Nice to see the practice of scaremongering, whining, and general petulance is alive and well!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 13:14   #68
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
eads used (to bored to put this in again) scans from pilkara.
but only scans which where pasted thru the internal pilkara (so we could trust them, and not for attacks as well, only for def purpose).
and why should we use any scans we can not trust ? thats just ridiculous. And about r8: i was a scanner that time and i scanned 3 gals every night, and if you really think that such a thing would be usefull, then you clearly have no clue what scans in pilkara are
(current stats:
2451 battlereport
11383 military
15350 news
134 pds
2144 sector
1111 unit
)
and i doubt that there are more than 10 recent scans which you could use for attacking.
Whatever internal or external Pilkara parsed scans are used, it is not hard to implement both ways and you know as good me that there are usually no fake scans to be parsed ... and as I said, with checking the time when the scan was made you can always decide whether you want to rescan a planet or not.

So for me, who is not a Pilkara coder, I assume that parsed scans - no matter if internal or external pilkara parser - are used for attacks / intelligence, too - even if not every single scan.

But ok, ofc I would never admit that Pilkara parsed scans would do it, an intel source would fall away. Therefore I end my participation in this discussion again, as only the original source code would give an 100% definate answer ... and only the ely coding team (which is a good team) can view it... sad to see them calling pa to try to destroy such a great site.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 13:15   #69
Mong
Forever Delayed

Oh and I forgot to say (in regards to this thread and it's subject):

OLD

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 13:21   #70
Mong
Forever Delayed

I have an idea!

Why don't Mit and Kaos get together and make a kickass system for PA, that everybody can be satisified with?

Or am I just a fluffy idealist?

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 12 Jun 2003, 16:23   #71
kaos
peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Heartless
Whatever internal or external Pilkara parsed scans are used, it is not hard to implement both ways and you know as good me that there are usually no fake scans to be parsed ... and as I said, with checking the time when the scan was made you can always decide whether you want to rescan a planet or not.

So for me, who is not a Pilkara coder, I assume that parsed scans - no matter if internal or external pilkara parser - are used for attacks / intelligence, too - even if not every single scan.

But ok, ofc I would never admit that Pilkara parsed scans would do it, an intel source would fall away. Therefore I end my participation in this discussion again, as only the original source code would give an 100% definate answer ... and only the ely coding team (which is a good team) can view it... sad to see them calling pa to try to destroy such a great site.

lol, now it really gets funny.
so lets say we would do it that way: we would have to tell all our bc how to access etc. if it would be really that way, why hasn't it been leaked by now then ? well i guess, because all those accusions are not true

you can say what you want, i know what is happening 'behind the scenes' and i am tired of discussing that **** now

btw: everyone talking of a coding team doing pilkara: i do this alone. every coder of ely has his special subject and pilkara is mine (just wanted to clear this, as it seems that _everyone_ thinks that more ppl do pilkara)
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 16:24   #72
kaos
peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
I have an idea!

Why don't Mit and Kaos get together and make a kickass system for PA, that everybody can be satisified with?

Or am I just a fluffy idealist?

M.
iirc this already has been suggested, i wasn't reluctant, so if now someone wanna do that (well, i guess as official thing, because as unofficial i already got my thing :]) you can drop me a mail/pm/whatever every time
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 23:08   #73
Woodeh
Monkey.

Woodeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Toop
22:56:23 * Stifler has joined #planetarion
22:56:24 <embroglio> :}
22:56:25 * Keen has quit IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
22:57:13 * JJ has joined #planetarion
22:57:18 <Stifler> http://80.67.228.169:8000/ << Elysium radio is up - Eylisia is on the radio \o/ !request in #elysium
22:57:22 <Stifler> http://80.67.228.169:8000/ << Elysium radio is up - Eylisia is on the radio \o/ !request in #elysium
22:57:24 <Stifler> http://80.67.228.169:8000/ << Elysium radio is up - Eylisia is on the radio \o/ !request in #elysium
22:57:24 * Stifler was kicked by Fireclaw ([Warning] :: No need to repeat yourself :
22:57:25 * Stifler has joined #planetarion

Heh
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 23:11   #74
King
Here and Not Here

King can only hope to improve
Uhh store scans ingame if ur right GREAT impossible for a bcalc is CRAP as the game has to calc it. If they decide not to release forumla's good it will make it that more challenging and change it from a giant calculator to a GAME.
King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 01:54   #75
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit
Don't tell me, when races were introduced, u knew EXACTLY how they all worked right from the start... used calcs straight out of protection etc... if so, BORING is one polite word to describe u.
Mit I knew

though i don't often use calcs anyway unless I want to satisfy which ever ungrateful peon it is today that i've just done his defence for, since it's not hard to do in your head.

but yes, I;m probably the biggest saddo in PA when it comes to the ship stats anaylsis. sad bit is, the rnd 10 changes do NOT have me excited, far from it, cos i;m getting lazy now, and i don't want to do another rnd6 :/

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 02:18   #76
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
kaos, do you deny that some are using pilkara for intel?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 11:07   #77
-o|DarkJedi|o-

-o|DarkJedi|o- is infamous around these parts
Re: PA trying to get rid of external tools ?

Quote:

4. Ingame alliances
:
Well, the info i could get makes me feel kinda mad. As far as i got all correct they want to put _every_ aspect of an ally into the game like memberlists, defece stats, etc blabla

[/b]
about fking time too

<@JonnyFive> well there you go, dj's ego really is mightier than ships

<@Hevonen> DarkJedi, thank god

[00:02] <Iniluki> self glorfying sigs are ****ing childish
[00:04] <DarkJedi> arrogance is bliss
-o|DarkJedi|o- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 16:30   #78
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

Quote:
Originally posted by G.K Zhukov
kaos, do you deny that some are using pilkara for intel?

If thats the case do you honestly expect him to admit it ? Pilkara is an absolutely wonderful intel gathering device.

If Elysium didn't use it, then I would have to say that they are stupider than a pack of retarded baboons.

OF COURSE they are using it, they would be stupid not to, and OF COURSE they are going to deny using it - this is a WAR game. You don't tell the enemy where your spies are, thats just stupid.

/me rollseyes...

Its a WAR game people. As long as you don't break the rules of the game itself, all tactics are valid.

Not to go off tangent, but this is the same reason the British got owned by the American Militiamen. Unlike the British, the American militia didn't line up and march to Battle three deep, with drummers and flag bearers, the way the British did.

Instead they hid in trees and lay on the ground and whacked them. The British called them 'cowardly' and accused them of not using valid war tactics. And guess what - the Militiamen were critical in battle and the British lost.

Ironically enough, the United States in turn got whacked by the VietCong who also fought 'dirty'.

War Game, War Game, War Game, War Game, War Game, War Game.

Get it ?

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo

Last edited by whoop; 13 Jun 2003 at 16:43.
Unread 15 Jun 2003, 14:30   #79
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
If thats the case do you honestly expect him to admit it ? Pilkara is an absolutely wonderful intel gathering device.

If Elysium didn't use it, then I would have to say that they are stupider than a pack of retarded baboons.

OF COURSE they are using it, they would be stupid not to, and OF COURSE they are going to deny using it - this is a WAR game. You don't tell the enemy where your spies are, thats just stupid.

/me rollseyes...

Its a WAR game people. As long as you don't break the rules of the game itself, all tactics are valid.

Not to go off tangent, but this is the same reason the British got owned by the American Militiamen. Unlike the British, the American militia didn't line up and march to Battle three deep, with drummers and flag bearers, the way the British did.

Instead they hid in trees and lay on the ground and whacked them. The British called them 'cowardly' and accused them of not using valid war tactics. And guess what - the Militiamen were critical in battle and the British lost.

Ironically enough, the United States in turn got whacked by the VietCong who also fought 'dirty'.

War Game, War Game, War Game, War Game, War Game, War Game.

Get it ?

-whoop
I just wanted to see if Kaos would lie. You damn fool spoiled it
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2003, 14:41   #80
MikeHunt

Quote:
yes,god forbid.
Everyone has to be sad phatetic loosers who live for planetarion.
Quote:
Its a WAR game people....
a game is what it is, so stop beeing so stuck up on it and grab yourself a life.