User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Jun 2003, 07:48   #101
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

whoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey lesh...

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Jolt aren't just the Planetarion provider. They are the Planetarion owners.
So then saying "the servers going down is Jolt's fault" is no excuse.

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy Spinner & Fudge didn't 'put' the machine in the UK. Jolt is the Planetarion owner and hosts the game on their machines in the UK. Spinner & Fudge live in Norway and are employed by Jolt
Seems like poor planning on their part then.

Jolt _is_ Planetarion.

You can't say "Jolt's servers died, its not our fault, we're doing the best we can". Pointing fingers is NOT an excuse for a failed service.

Stop insulting our intelligence. The correct response:

"Sorry about the downtime, its our fault, the servers died, and since we only recently moved the servers to the new facility in the UK, and we still don't have a mechanism in place to allow for easy remote administration.

Additionally, the only person in the universe who can rollback ticks was on vacation, and before he left, he faiiled to teach anyone else how to do it.

Please accept our sincere apologies. We will try to improve our setup such that this will hopefully never happen again. Anyone who was adversely affected, and feels they have suffered irreperable harm to their planet can contact [email protected] to receive your free credit for next round"

If you guys had done something along those lines, this thread would never even have existed.

Admit when you fail, and suck it up. Treat your customers with some respect. Its really not that hard.

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo

Last edited by whoop; 10 Jun 2003 at 07:53.
whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 12:37   #102
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
thing is whoop, u probably don't realise as much from being on a 'users side' but IF something like that was said, HOW Many people would try to get something for nothing.

"i lost all my fleet" says X to support@ refund me now"

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 16:44   #103
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
PA Team do a very good job considering, as Jacksey has said, most of them are entirely unpaid. Their problem is that they can only work with the information they're given, and assuming they are representing Spinner-et-al who are on the payroll, they should be given a corporate line to follow so to speak.

That means properly outlined procedures, properly defined roles and properly defined responsibilities.

PA Team are free of blame on this occassion imo.
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 17:15   #104
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

whoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit
thing is whoop, u probably don't realise as much from being on a 'users side' but IF something like that was said, HOW Many people would try to get something for nothing.

I agree, there will be lots of whinging, but at the same time, surely you realize that if someone loses their entire fleet because (for example) the ticks stop for 5 hours, and then ticks 3 times in 4 minutes, then perhaps they do deserve something.

Don't give refunds - give credits for the next game. There are many businesses that use this model today.

Tell them "you can accept your losses, or we can give you a credit for next round, but your current planet will be closed"

Most will keep playing, but this way when they whinge, you can tell them to STFU, which you can't right now.

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo
whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 18:03   #105
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit

The apology, explanation and promise of prevention in the future would be enough, and also, a MAJOR leap forward from the crap we currently see spewed out
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 18:08   #106
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
The portal has the first 2 of those...
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 19:09   #107
Ad0
Slightly different.....

Ad0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit

And damn right they would be too... if the servers have issues and someone looses fleet because of it they are entitled to a refund of some kind... morally at least....

Just the same as if a telephone provider fails to provide a service they are liable for financial renumeration.

There is no escaping this .. just in this case people say "its just a game"

How many people DONT demand refunds when a football match is called off due to lighting failures ?
Ad0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 19:12   #108
Ad0
Slightly different.....

Quote:
Neither SimTech nor the User Agreement are illegal in any way.

I never said simtech was.... my point was and still is that is simtech IS jolt then jolt are liable through association to the creditors of PA in this case paying users.

A contract is NOT legal if it attempts to nullify ones statetory rights. Unless there is a line saying "statetory purchasing rights not effected" they ARE illegal. I wonder how much this T&C has been looked at. Perhaps I will draw it to someones attention.

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you agree to the EULA, you can't play. So the choice already is "agree or don't play".
Thats what i said.... learn to read please. I stated that was the choice.

My poist said it would be nice to have an alternative, but such is the problem when they hold a monopoly over a community and have contracts which nobody challanges.
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 19:18   #109
Ad0
Slightly different.....

12. WE PROVIDE THE ACCOUNT, THE GAME AND ALL OTHER SERVICES "AS IS." WE
AND OUR SUPPLIERS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF
ANY KIND, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION
THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Without limiting the foregoing, we do
not ensure continuous, error-free or secure operation of the Game or
your Account. Some states / countries do not allow the disclaimer of
implied warranties, so the foregoing disclaimer may not apply to you.

^^ interesting, so if anyone lives in a state / country where the nullification of standard rights does not apply then taking sh*t of pa doesnt have to suffered.

As i said leshy... not illegal.... but certainly not as concrete as they would like everyone to believe.

In the UK at least.. last time i checked nullification of statutory rights for a company based in mainland britain was not allowed ? anyone know if this is still the case ?
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 19:40   #110
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe common practice is nullification of the purchase with a proportional refund.
So if 2/3 through the round there is a major outage, and you actually manage to find a lawyer willing to threaten taking them to court, the best you can hope for is to get back 1/3 of what you paid and your PA account is deleted...

As for r9.5 which nobody has paid for...
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 19:52   #111
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Neither SimTech nor the User Agreement are illegal in any way.
Except maybe that neither Jolt or a company called Simtech that is based in the same county as Jolt are on the data protection register. Dunno if this is a problem or not as I am no expert, but I would have thought they should be there
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 03:20   #112
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about
i will dedicate this link to Spinner, the pacrew and especially MIT who tells us all what a stupid complaining bunch of idiots we are, to dumb to just shutup and admire them for failing and lying to us.

http://us.st5.yimg.com/store4.yimg.c...s_1737_8782972

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn't. A sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
--Horace Walpole English novelist
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 03:27   #113
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve
That was saturday right? Where I lost half of my fleet 'coz that ticker still pushes through. Liars!
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 03:46   #114
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by whoop
I agree, there will be lots of whinging, but at the same time, surely you realize that if someone loses their entire fleet because (for example) the ticks stop for 5 hours, and then ticks 3 times in 4 minutes, then perhaps they do deserve something.
Which hasn't happened...?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 03:48   #115
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Razorback
i will dedicate this link to Spinner, the pacrew and especially MIT who tells us all what a stupid complaining bunch of idiots we are, to dumb to just shutup and admire them for failing and lying to us.
PATeam didn't lie to you, counting the paid employees (creators) as a seperate entity.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 12:44   #116
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
PATeam didn't lie to you, counting the paid employees (creators) as a seperate entity.
They did to me, I asked if the ticker had been stopped because when the game came back up, it seemd like it hadn't, and I was told by a certain PA team member:

"Don't be stupid, of course it has been stopped, you are imagining it"

I don't think it takes a genius to work out that is a lie.