User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Jun 2005, 03:46   #1
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
.tmp files

just 3 quick questions:

1. What are they?
2. Do i need them?
3. Does it really matter if i delete a load?

(that last one is most important)
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 09:15   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: .tmp files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
1. What are they?
They're temporary files. Sounds stupid but that's it. Sometimes when a program's running it'll need to store more data than it'd be happy doing in memory, or some data that it'll only need to interact with another program. The program normally won't need that data beyond one reboot.

Quote:
2. Do i need them?
Depends. Some may well be in use by active programs, most will be forgotten about and can be culled. The general rule of thumb before things like the Drive Cleanup wizard was that if it was more than a week old, nuke it.

Quote:
3. Does it really matter if i delete a load?
Delete old ones, they're unlikely to be needed. In fact you can probably get away with deleting everything up until the time you logged in today. The Drive Cleanup wizard in XP has long since stopped cleaning my Temp directory for reasons I cannot fathom, there's currently half a gig of shite in there that'll get culled.

Going by the 'Microsoft way', delete everything that is older than a week; that'll account for most of them.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 18:58   #3
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

cheers pabs, managed to reclaim about 1GB of space
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 21:17   #4
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Wait! in the windows folder:" lastknowngood.tmp" should be left alone! You'll most likely be fine, but if you had the misfortune of deleting something odd while cleaning up your HDD- this is the file which windows gets it "last known good configuration" appears on the same screen as safe mode etc.! You'll be ok, but I just wouldn't touch it, just in case as a very general rule, .atik, .tmp and .chk files can be deleted without causing anything bad to happen! if you are into that sort of thing try http://www.tsm-soft.com/pro3.html It doesn't look great on the website, but it is a fast and useful way to do such things!