User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Apr 2005, 17:52   #1
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Xp64

is anyone using it?

If so, is it any good?

Where can i get a list of drivers for it?

Do the basic programs work on it (like opera, AVG, torrenting things etc)?
Unread 24 Apr 2005, 05:09   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Xp64

A friend has an alienware machine running xp64, he runs all his usual games/programs just fine.

As for drivers, I don't know if there's a universal list anyware but most major hardware manufacturers include support for xp64 on their driver download page.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 00:15   #3
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

I'm actually building a machine in the coming weeks and debated over whether to use x64 or just 32 bit pro [with linux on a partition ofc]. I did some research and most major PC component makers support some of their hardware. Most importantly, ATi and Nvidia have drivers aplenty for your GPU. The real problem is when you get down to your periperahls- my nokia 6260, my mp3- NOT SUPPORTED. So hence I shan't be using it. If you look at the benchmarking comparisons, there is little/no performance gain- all todays software isn't designed to take advantage of an OS/CPU with 64 bit architecture. In fact xp pro x64 uses WoW64 to run 32-bit applications. This is "windows on windows x64"- pretty much windows x63 emulating normal windows. So hence there is a drop in performance. Now, no doubt somebody will mention Far Cary. THG tested it [64bit]- conclusions, more periperhal detail [fish.bushes etc.] and a lower, yes lower, FPS.

Until our sofware is designed to take advantage of it, there will be no performance gain. Just like dual-cores, though this will come around a lot faster, 2x cores really stole 64 bit's thunder. why? MS! taking so bloddy long to get an 64 bit OS out!

PS-it looks/feels the same as xp pro
Unread 25 Jul 2005, 01:50   #4
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

i'm using it atm i was thinking of runing 32bit xp on another partition but haven't had any problems so far.

http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/w...64softlist.htm
http://www.planetamd64.com/

these sites may help you

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote