User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Jul 2005, 22:33   #51
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold
Re: Best PC games ever?

RPG-

BG2
BG
Vampires The Masquerabe: Bloodlines

RTS:

Empire Earth II
AOE 2
C and C Generals

FPS:

HL2- Tis the only FPS i've really enjoyed
Unread 11 Jul 2005, 23:08   #52
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
RPG; Diablo
When did Diablo become an RPG
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2005, 23:22   #53
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Best PC games ever?

When it stopped being shit and changed into something much better than the pile of wank that it actually is.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2005, 23:34   #54
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

berzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura about

It was an addictive wank allthesame.
berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2005, 23:46   #55
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light

Hero's quest (not the 'quest for glory' remakes)
Wolfenstein
Doom I
Ultima Underworld
Dark Sun
Seventh guest
Unreal Tournament
Star Control (check out the remake for windows)
Stunts
Blockout
both the Baldurs gate games
Dune 1&2
Simon the Sorcerer
Sim City (2000)
mpr0733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 00:13   #56
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough

i cant believe no-one has mentioned Freelancer!

mine would be from:
Half-life 1/2
Freelancer
Xenon 2

I have fond memories of Dune 2 as well, they have however been spoilt by me going back and playing the game now and realising how shocking it now is. For some reason Xenon 2 hasnt aged as much in my mind...
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 00:14   #57
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

berzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura about

I'll add 'Pharoah' to the list. Its a real easy all-round strategy game (not as good as civ3 though). My tip for the game, build plenty of bazaars
berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 00:14   #58
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

XCOM : Enemy Unknown
Fallout 1
Unreal Tournament

best three to be honest, seen a lot of others, but these 3 just had that extra bit
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 00:38   #59
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
When did Diablo become an RPG
You have stats, you have classes, you have items, you have quests and you have combat.

Sure, there isn't any actual roleplaying, but that never stopped BG, BG2, NWN and that ilk from being labeled RPG's. Why is Diabo any different?

Oh, and game I've enjoyed the most is still the original Elite. Christ that was amazing.
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 03:59   #60
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Purely in terms of enjoyment to be while playing it, Final Fantasy 7 by miles. But if we are taking longevity into account, then quakeworld, planetarion rounds 1-4, championship manager 2 (before they gayed the series up), and CGoban (lol) would all be up there.

Other candidates include:

Civilization
Populous 2 (I think there was a PC conversion)
Megalomania (but very little longevity)
Daggerfall (I would probably replace this with Morrowind but I didnt play it enough).
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 07:43   #61
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Daggerfall had more bugs than a public lavatory, how did you manage to play through it?

As for Diablo - at best its RPG lite, at worst it's a halfway decent Adventure game. It dosnt come close to BG II in terms of quality or depth, and that is why it isnt an RPG.

As far as Turn Based Strategy games go, the Civ series is still light years ahead of the rest (though I have yet to play Alpha Centauri).

The best Real time game is arguably Total Annihilation, for sheer complexity and fun. They've yet to make a game that rivals it in terms of scope; demand has gone in the direction of story based Micromanagement style RTS games like WC III (which is not a 'bad' thing, just different).
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 09:12   #62
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I didn't find Daggerfall buggy at all, maybe I had a newer patch than you.
It was still a shit game though. Randomly generated "Go to randomly generated dungeon X, find item Y and get reward Z" quests just didn't do it for me.

Oh, and since a lot of people have mentioned it, Alpha Centauri is an excellent game. I still think Rise of Nations is better though. Maybe that's because I spent even more countless hours playing Alpha Centauri than I did playing RoN.
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 10:25   #63
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Mine repeatedly crashed, though at the time it was a recent release and the internet didnt really exist. I thought the original - The Elder Scrolls was pretty ace for its time, you could walk for hours through randomly generated terrain for little or no reason.

Havnt played Morrowind as yet, which is a must I suppose prior to Oblivion (the 'sequel') coming out around Cristmas
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 10:44   #64
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

FPS: Quake
RTS: C&C (AKA C&C Tiberium Dawn)
Turn based strategy: VGA Planets.
RPG: Diablo 2, although I recently played a demo of EQ2 and found it quite cool.
Puzzle: Tetris / Tetrinet, Populous.
Party: Mario Party series.
Platformer: Commander Keen.
Physics: Tank Blaster (Scorched Earth clone)
Team based game: Americas Army, Quake TF.
Adventure: HHGTTG, Day Of The Tentacle.
Fighter: Mortal Kombat - Deception (replacing MK as my previous fav.), Super Street Fighter Turbo, One Must Fall.
Flight: Super EF-2000, Descent.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 10:49   #65
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fallout 1 or 2 (2 was "objectively" better but I found on the first play through Fallout 1 was more enjoyable)
Monkey Island 1 or 2 - although I played these both on the Amiga first.
Frontier : Elite 2 - I played this on the Amiga first and the Amiga version had better sound (or at least did compared to PC's at the time).
Starcraft
Civ 2 / Alpha Centauri
Syndicate
Counterstrike
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 12:22   #66
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr0733
Dune 1&2
You enjoyed the Dune adventure game?

Quote:
Sure, there isn't any actual roleplaying, but that never stopped BG, BG2, NWN and that ilk from being labeled RPG's. Why is Diabo any different?
If you can't see the difference between the level of choice in BG2 and Diablo, you're a poor fool indeed.
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 12:31   #67
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I love the Dune adventure game, completed it several times on amiga and pc. It's a mediocre game in general but the game oozes atmosphere and especially the amiga version has excellent music.
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 14:22   #68
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
If you can't see the difference between the level of choice in BG2 and Diablo, you're a poor fool indeed.
Go for the eyes boo! go for the eyes!

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 14:37   #69
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Max Payne I & II
Fifa 99
Championship Manager 2001/2002
Football Manager 2005

From the top of my head...
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 15:18   #70
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You have stats, you have classes, you have items, you have quests and you have combat.

There was barely any freedom of choice in diablo- in both BG's quests could be competed in many a way, you could customise your party, the proficiences and spell system were nowhere near as rudimentary as Diablo. Dual-classing, Multi-classing. Human, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Half-Orc, Half-Elf. Naming your character. the huge degree of stratgic planning involved if you were a mgic-heavy player. Not just click, click.

I could go on.... so I will:

"You have stats,": Sure. Like deciding what weapon you shall have grand mastery in? Or allocating your points [when you are making your character], how much constituion does an eleven sorceror need? will 12 do... if its twelve, I can raise charisma to 18... and so on. It doesn't stop there, the game is a continual process of evolving your character to god-like proportions, in BG2, the depth and complexity of the system can be astounding... dual-classing to a cleric once you have that ring to raise your strength past 15 etc.

"You have classes"- Don't make me laugh, Diablo had three or four "characters" to choose from. These were characters, not classes, you chose a character, you didn't chose a sex, race and then choose class. So, so little choice. Compare it to BG2's classes: Fighter [normal, berserker, wizard-slayer, kensai] 4, wizard [conjurer, necromancer etc.] 7, cleric [normal,lathander, talos, Helm] 4, Druid [normal, shapeshifter, totem and ?] 4, Thief [ normalAssasin, bounty hunter, swashbuckler] 4, Bard 3,Ranger [normal, stalker, archer, ?] 4, Paladin [normal, Inquisitor, ?,?] 4 and sorceror and monk. Thats 10 classes, not including subclasses, over 30 choices if you do include them.

"you have items"- I'll grant you that, the items are ok :-p. Though I did love the little blurb you got with BG weapons, detailing their history etc.

"you have quests"- Yes, but not as many side quests, and the quests were usually go kill etc. Very little depth, story or immersion. And come on, getting your own class specific stronghold? Who didn't love that? [and that little bastard Cespenar in TOB.......] And quests based on whom you hung around, who you chose to flirt with... whether you were good or evil...

"combat"- click, click,click. Thats my mouse clicking as I play Diablo. Barely any strategic planning involved. Granted, you could hack and slash your way through BG, but, if you chose to, it could become a strategic romp- again, freedom of choice. Personally, I had a sorceror, 2 clerics and thief-mage and 2 fighters- so i loved planning my battles and unleashing magical devastation here, there and everywhere.

I shan't defend NWN- twas hugely disappointing for me.

Anyways, BG and BG2 redfined the RPG genre- some say they even ressurrected the genre.

Oh lets not forget the voice acting too.... "Do you even know whom you face?"
"Ho there traveler"

Ah, memories.....
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 16:07   #71
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Just to be clear, when referring to Diablo I am still referring to Diablo II, and preferably with LOD. In my mind, Diablo I doesn't exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
There was barely any freedom of choice in diablo- in both BG's quests could be competed in many a way,
Then we didn't play the same BG's. Sure, there were more quests and sidequests not directly related to the 'story' but they were just as simplistic. My little brother managed to play through BG1, and he barely knows english! Regardless of windowdressing there aren't any better choices in the BG's, ie choices that actually matter. The storyline is just as linear and it's perfectly possible to play through the entire thing without understanding a word of it!

Quote:
you could customise your party
Yeah, but nearly regardless of how bad choices you made, you'd still make it through. There were plenty of options sure, but they didn't matter.
Quote:
the proficiences and spell system were nowhere near as rudimentary as Diablo.
I'd say the exact opposite. The proficiences in diablo actually made the character, whereas in BG it was mostly just window-dressing. The multitude of viable (for powerplayers) and wildly different character designs speaks to this (bowazon, spearazon, several different pally's etc). The proficiences gained in Diablo were powerfull (compared to the standard lvl-up attributes) and extremely well balanced.

Gaming BG1/2 was easy, and it didn't take long to find out how to create über-characters. Gaming Diablo was not easy.
Quote:
Dual-classing, Multi-classing. Human, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Half-Orc, Half-Elf. Naming your character. the huge degree of stratgic planning involved if you were a mgic-heavy player. Not just click, click.
Sure, you could choose race. But did it matter? Different graphics, and a small difference in skills. yay! That'll make a difference!
Quote:
Rest of post
You mention the voiceacting in BG, which was admittedly good. But you didn't mention the background storyline and cutscenes in Diablo which were just as groundbreaking at the time.

ohh.. I enjoyed Dune I on the Amiga too
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 16:15   #72
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I would probably like the Baldur's Gate series a lot more if the following hadn't happened:

I was playing Baldur's Gate 1, had completed pretty much everything including the expansion pack, Tales of the Sword Coast I think it was. Then I returned to Baldur's Gate and got to the bit where you go down the stairs to face the final showdown. I couldn't go down. I tried everything, including searching on the internet for a fix. I even e-mailed the developers and they couldn't help me. So that was 100 hours or so of playing down the drain.

I played Baldur's Gate 2. I got about 75% of the way through and then my hard drive corrupted losing me all my save games.

I call it the curse of Baldur's Gate!

If they release Baldur's Gate 3 I won't play it, the gods will find some way to screw it up for me if I do.
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 16:19   #73
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Then we didn't play the same BG's.
Don't you defend DIablo II's quests you ****er. I mean really.

Quote:
Yeah, but nearly regardless of how bad choices you made, you'd still make it through. There were plenty of options sure, but they didn't matter.
So having a lot of valid choices is a BAD THING now?

Quote:
The proficiences in diablo actually made the character, whereas in BG it was mostly just window-dressing. The multitude of viable (for powerplayers) and wildly different character designs speaks to this (bowazon, spearazon, several different pally's etc). The proficiences gained in Diablo were powerfull (compared to the standard lvl-up attributes) and extremely well balanced.
Hahaha. "You can use a bow or a spear!" wow, great variation.

Quote:
Gaming BG1/2 was easy, and it didn't take long to find out how to create über-characters. Gaming Diablo was not easy.
Try not playing on "easy", ok?

Quote:
Sure, you could choose race. But did it matter? Different graphics, and a small difference in skills. yay! That'll make a difference!
My Kensai-Mage says race matters.

Quote:
You mention the voiceacting in BG, which was admittedly good. But you didn't mention the background storyline and cutscenes in Diablo which were just as groundbreaking at the time.!
Blizzard do insanely good cutscenes, that much is true. But it doesn't have David Warner.

Quote:
DON'T TOUCH THAT! IT'S PURE EVIL!
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 16:19   #74
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
If they release Baldur's Gate 3 I won't play it, the gods will find some way to screw it up for me if I do.
BG3 is the expansion pack Throne of Bhaal.
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 16:42   #75
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:
Just to be clear, when referring to Diablo I am still referring to Diablo II, and preferably with LOD. In my mind, Diablo I doesn't exist

Then we didn't play the same BG's. Sure, there were more quests and sidequests not directly related to the 'story' but they were just as simplistic. My little brother managed to play through BG1, and he barely knows english! Regardless of windowdressing there aren't any better choices in the BG's, ie choices that actually matter. The storyline is just as linear and it's perfectly possible to play through the entire thing without understanding a word of it!
Funny- I first played Diablo II in Spanish- I got to the desert yoke, and thought, this is shi*. So i bought it in English, and guess what, it was still shi*.

It just goes to show how accessable the game is. Oh the choices do matter- you reputation for example- having it at 1-3 means its gonna be tough playing-constantly attacked by guards, high shop prices etc. To a certain extent the storyline is linear- but in comparison to the other RPG's of the time *cough* Diablo II *cough* the freedom afforded is glorious- multiple outcomes for each quest, multiple endings etc.

Quote:
Only if you moved that difficulty slider steadily down. Try playing with D+D hradcore rules and above. Where fireballs actually *hurt* you too- it shan't be such a romp then- every small decision matters. Not to mention party politics- certain people just can't stand each other- wondeful inter-party banter.

Quote:
I'd say the exact opposite. The proficiences in diablo actually made the character, whereas in BG it was mostly just window-dressing. The multitude of viable (for powerplayers) and wildly different character designs speaks to this (bowazon, spearazon, several different pally's etc). The proficiences gained in Diablo were powerfull (compared to the standard lvl-up attributes) and extremely well balanced.
The proficiencies make a huge difference to anyone who understands the D and D system. getting that extra attach per combat round. Character designs? just goes to show how little they can be customised. And leveling up is a huge thing for a mage- getting those level 9 spells- I don't think you could describe them as anything other than powerful.

Quote:
Again with the difficulty slider. Diablo was click click click.

Sure, you could choose race. But did it matter? Different graphics, and a small difference in skills. yay! That'll make a difference![/quote]

You obviously never played the BG series to any depth. Races decide stats/ classes/ multi-dual classing. Huge impact on the game.

Quote:
You mention the voiceacting in BG, which was admittedly good. But you didn't mention the background storyline and cutscenes in Diablo which were just as groundbreaking at the time.
Grabted, the Diablo cutscenes were good- but if anything is window dressing here, its those cutscenes- Diablo, storyline? sorry, what? Its on par with the "story" of my granny going to shop, buying some wool, coming home, knitting a sock, oh and Aunt Mary called to say thank you for the sock she knitted last week. Only she finds it interesting [the dear old woman! I am quite fond of her tbh] To everyone else, its repetitive, mind-numbing horseshite.

And the characters in BG, they were memorable, they made an impression. its one of the many reasons why the game is so immersive.
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 18:10   #76
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Pong was fun.
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 18:13   #77
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

arkanoid was better.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 07:44   #78
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Mmmmm thinking of Warzone 2100 to add to the list, after all it was so wonderous.

Build a mobile radar unit and assign artillery to it and watch as they auto fire on radar contacts

Being hit by artillery? Build a counter battery radar unit and assign some artillery to it, watch as they auto target and fire on any enemy artillery that fires at your units )

Same for the VTOL aircraft, build strike or intercept radar units to co-ordinate your air strikes and/or air interceptions.

All these attacks can be carried out manually using the old grouping options but the choice to simply nominate one unit to be in charge of directing a group is most cool and has yet to be imitated.

Not to mention full 3d graphics that actually matter to gameplay.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 09:04   #79
Doogle

Doogle can only hope to improve

I've always been an adict of the Command & Conquer games.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 09:21   #80
CamelToe
You Know I'm Right

CamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these parts

pfft. I can't believe no one mentioned these:

"I'm hear to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum"
Duke Nukem 3D is clearly the most enjoyable FPS of all time. Definitely one of the most dynamic and entertaining personas in video game history. Where else in the land of FPS can you blow away pig cops with shotguns and solicit prostitutes for sexual pleasures?

and what about Warcraft II? The fact that this game is the template for every successful RTS game released, with the exception of a few recently released titles. WC2's impact has even reached across genres, inspiring other mega-hits. Definitely worth a high spot on this list.

Don't act like you weren't thinking the same thing...

you should stop posting on these forums as you're CRAP
CamelToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 09:35   #81
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I didn't really enjoy the maps of Duke Nukem 3D where you had to wander through corridors for ages searching for keys. Multiplayer was fun, especially that cinema map.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 09:45   #82
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
Age of Empires
32 replies and you are the first one with some sense.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 09:46   #83
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe
pfft. I can't believe no one mentioned these:

"I'm hear to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum"
Duke Nukem 3D is clearly the most enjoyable FPS of all time. Definitely one of the most dynamic and entertaining personas in video game history. Where else in the land of FPS can you blow away pig cops with shotguns and solicit prostitutes for sexual pleasures?

and what about Warcraft II? The fact that this game is the template for every successful RTS game released, with the exception of a few recently released titles. WC2's impact has even reached across genres, inspiring other mega-hits. Definitely worth a high spot on this list.
Noone mentioned those because, unlike games like Starcraft and Master of Orion II, they're just not particularly good by today's standards. Notice that noone's mentioned Wolf 3D either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
32 replies and you are the first one with some sense.
AoE isn't very good
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 10:11   #84
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

the whole series is the best there ever was. the single player wasnt that great but for online multi player its one of the best there ever was (far better than crappy starcraft / warcraft )
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 10:27   #85
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Noone mentioned those because, unlike games like Starcraft and Master of Orion II, they're just not particularly good by today's standards. Notice that noone's mentioned Wolf 3D either.

AoE isn't very good
AoM is very good, but yes, AoE isn't.

also, to cameltoe. If wc2 is the "template for all rts" then why not wc1? I played both of them at the time and tbh wc2 wasnt that much of a step forward. Starcraft was the truly classic blizzard rts, and im sure that it has been mentioned many many times already in this thread. If it hasnt been then it should have been and i apologise.

although, to be honest, the most amazing thing about starcraft is how different the races are and how balanced the multiplayer is. It really is very impressive.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 10:44   #86
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

From my own experience i would say Age of Kings, Age of Mythology, early CM's or Football Manager, early C&C (up to Red Alert 2) although i haven't played Generals yet, Quake 3 and Force Commander for online play.

Console-wise i would say Mario Kart and Killer Instinct on the SNES, Megalomania and Super Street Fighter 2 on the Megadrive, AvP on the Jaguar, Goldeneye on the N64, any GTA, Gran Turismo and Time Splitters 2 on the PS2. I still own all of the above.
PSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 11:28   #87
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
although i haven't played Generals yet
Generals is EA trying to be Blizzard, and failing in all the standard EA ways.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 11:36   #88
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Has it become 'hip' to deride Starcraft?

Though I am loathe to admit it, the game was and still is the apogee of RTS gaming. I have my own personal preferences but in all honesty WC2 or any similar games were perfected in SC:BW.

As for complexity and scope in multiplayer however, Total Annihilation still outdoes it; though in reality they are two completely different styles of RTS.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 11:39   #89
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Bubble Bobble.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 11:42   #90
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Generals is EA trying to be Blizzard, and failing in all the standard EA ways.
Cheers, i don't think i'll bother with it until it is in the buget rack and wait for AOE III which looks set to be the dogs rod instead.
PSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 11:53   #91
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
As for complexity and scope in multiplayer however, Total Annihilation still outdoes it; though in reality they are two completely different styles of RTS.
the pathfinding AI in TA was abysmal and that really ruined it for me. and there should have been actual differences between the two sides. each machine had an exact counterpart on the opposite side, except for the Krogoth encounter.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 12:04   #92
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
the pathfinding AI in TA was abysmal and that really ruined it for me. and there should have been actual differences between the two sides. each machine had an exact counterpart on the opposite side, except for the Krogoth encounter.
I agree, the single player aspect of the game was utterly abysmal. There are differences between the two sides, but generally they are subtle and only become significant in multiplayer.

Incidentally the game is fairly unbalanced, Arm have much better units.

It doesnt compare with Starcraft for single player or the balance issue in multiplayer. It's saving grace is that with so many different units, even an Arm vs Arm game can see players using completely different strategies to win.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 12:59   #93
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Incidentally the game is fairly unbalanced, Arm have much better units.
Actually, arm has the short term game, in the long term core units are better.
This means that on smaller maps arm is more likely to win, but on larger ones where core can churn out it's heavy shit, arm is more likely to lose.

There are very few Core players because most new players play small maps, decide that Arm are better, etc.
I've seen established core players with the same, if not better, win ratios as Arm ones. (which since they didn't play identical opponents may not be a fair comparison).
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 18:39   #94
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Only djbass mentioned Day Of The Tentacle.

You are all sinners bar him.
Unread 14 Jul 2005, 00:21   #95
Duncan
saint-ciboire de tabarnac

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of

Starcon2
Civilization II
Starcraft:Broodwar
SimCity

I played the shit out that magic carpet series as well.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2005, 00:28   #96
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
Actually, arm has the short term game, in the long term core units are better.
This means that on smaller maps arm is more likely to win, but on larger ones where core can churn out it's heavy shit, arm is more likely to lose.

There are very few Core players because most new players play small maps, decide that Arm are better, etc.
I've seen established core players with the same, if not better, win ratios as Arm ones. (which since they didn't play identical opponents may not be a fair comparison).
Agree to disagree then.

In reality long or short game makes no difference.
Unread 14 Jul 2005, 09:08   #97
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I'd tend to believe NB3 on the topic of TA, given he got his name from being one of the newsbots in Boneyards.
Unread 14 Jul 2005, 09:28   #98
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Agree to disagree then.
ok

Quote:
In reality long or short game makes no difference.
My ability to win a good 80% of the time on larger (and thus longer game) maps vs my ability to win a good 10% of the time on smaller (and thus faster maps) makes me think otherwise

I could even argue this out logically (based on the fact that it is entirely possible to have nukes around the 15 min mark, plus that whole longer distances taking further time to travel lark, and there are other strategies than a nuke rush)

Quote:
I'd tend to believe NB3 on the topic of TA, given he got his name from being one of the newsbots in Boneyards.
There were only ever 2 (although for various reasons 3-6 were used, including some trainees at one stage), one of whom was me.

I miss 4.

ah, how i miss my orange text.
Horrid to the eyes it was, but i felt special. I prefered the worse bright green beforethat, but people moaned

anyway, i have to go to work
Unread 14 Jul 2005, 09:46   #99
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Quote:
I know. Incidentally I remember when they first invented the Newsbot concept on the yards.

It's an interesting topic, but one that probably would bore the living shite out of others. The debate is just an old saw that has been resolved since by the top online players.

A good player CAN still win with Core, and to that extent the sides are evenly matched. But the top players avoid Core unless they have a map specific strategy.

Theres no easy answer, and that I think is one of the reasons why TA is such a solid game.

But then I'm biased. Starcraft is nice too.