User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 6 Jun 2005, 17:58   #1
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
This might (is) old, but I found it terribly interesting

The manifesto

Opinions?

Is the gaming industry heading stright down a dead end alley?

Is there any chance we might actually see something new(ish) in the next three-five years?
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 21:23   #2
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold
Re: This might (is) old, but I found it terribly interesting

I have to say I was very annoyed to hear about EA's little spending spree (buying lots of publishers/developers).

It depends what you class as new. What makes me sad is that the architechture of the Xbox 360, PS2 and your average PC is so radically different that there will be far fewer multi-platform titles out. It just means less games for us PC gaming guys.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:11   #3
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice

Sadly, that is probably the case (I don't own a single console other than the classic 8-bit NES.

About EA, well...I don't know. They did for example buy DICE (BF:1942 etc), wich might mean more money for the developer and/or less freedom.
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:19   #4
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

key phrase: "less freedom" we need more innovation!
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:20   #5
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: This might (is) old, but I found it terribly interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ärketrollmannen
Opinions?
I'm not that big a nerd to actually care.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:22   #6
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

single player game design died in 1998.

twas sad.

if you want to play a single player game, you can always download a good one tho.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:40   #7
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
I'm not that big a nerd to actually care.
Is that what you keep telling yourself? (Other than "gawd 1 r0x0rz")

Acropolis I am currently playing, no ENJOYING KOTOR.

It is not flawless, but by GOD it is close.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:47   #8
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
single player game design died in 1998.

twas sad.

if you want to play a single player game, you can always download a good one tho.
Hmmm... i have beside me 3 GTA's, 3 Hitman's 1 Masquerade Bloodlines... none more than 3 years old. With a 56k connection, single player is all I have :-(
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:51   #9
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: This might (is) old, but I found it terribly interesting

Quote:
(Other than "gawd 1 r0x0rz")
Dude, I'm not the one who made a serious thread on the future of the gaming industry.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:51   #10
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:

hey i forgot to mention that was a link that (to me) didn't suck.

kudos etc
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:53   #11
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:

You should play Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn.. best, and I mean best RPG known to man.elf or even jedi, its my favourite game of all time... what an achievement...
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:56   #12
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
Hmmm... i have beside me 3 GTA's, 3 Hitman's 1 Masquerade Bloodlines... none more than 3 years old.
hey what do you call it when your google search only has 1 hit again?
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:59   #13
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Google whack?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 23:00   #14
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:
I dont understand...
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 23:01   #15
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Google whack?
according to google whack.com it has to be just two words with no quote marks. i guess i lose
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 23:02   #16
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
You should play Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn.. best, and I mean best RPG known to man.elf or even jedi, its my favourite game of all time... what a achievement...
I have it right here on my bookshelf.

Didn't actually get that impressed by it.

Strange, as I adored the first one.

I believe it is the same people who made KOTOR tough, so we are both right

Acropolis Cheers

Manson Touché.

(I actually wrote down a long and complicated reply for you, then I realized that you win anyway, so Touché old(er) man)
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 23:11   #17
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:
I have it right here on my bookshelf.

Didn't actually get that impressed by it.

Strange, as I adored the first one.

I believe it is the same people who made KOTOR tough, so we are both right

Acropolis Cheers

Manson Touché.

(I actually wrote down a long and complicated reply for you, then I realized that you win anyway, so Touché old(er) man)
Good man, have some rep for having excellent taste- I have all installments-I guess the first one wasn't dark enough for me... and the 2nd has sorceror, not to mention class-specific quests, really in-depth NPC's... memories... *sigh*