User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 6 Jun 2005, 02:39   #1
notsure
[TGV] Wots It

notsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to behold
Solaris 10 & Win XP

I've done the unthinkable and installed XP on my system for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I was forced to.

In addition, I have just downloaded a copy of Solaris 10 for the intel platform (available on the sun website - search for free solaris)

Anyway, normally I run my unix boxen seperate to my windows systems - but am reduced to one system atm - although I will be getting a new HDD for solaris to run on.

So what I'm after is a nice boot manager - yes I could just go and search for one, but thought I'd solicit the advice of those here first.

Also if anyone has any experience dual booting solaris - any info on how it went would be great (I've dual booted other *nix flavours before).
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 10:45   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Solaris 10 & Win XP

Doesn't it have one of it's own?
I realise there are differences, but many *nix distros have one (i've yet to come across a linux distro that didn't have lilo, grub or both as an option) so I'd be surprised if there isn't one provided.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 11:23   #3
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

I know that for me, I have Linux and XP and A RAID drive, partitioned, when I boot up, I get the option of selecting which OS I'd like to use today....
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 16:01   #4
notsure
[TGV] Wots It

notsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Doesn't it have one of it's own?
I realise there are differences, but many *nix distros have one (i've yet to come across a linux distro that didn't have lilo, grub or both as an option) so I'd be surprised if there isn't one provided.
I've not really checked tbh - haven't got further than burning the dvd for the install...and as I said I've never dual booted solaris - I've always run it on it's system.

I just assumed that being a port of the sparc platform version, it wouldn't, seeing as unlike linux distros - Solaris is more a commercial product and is less likely to require dual booting. Guess I'll check - otherwise I'll go find something to do the job.
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 16:20   #5
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Windows XP (however crap) Has a built-in boot manager, I've used it to dual-boot winXP pro and win98se back when XP was new and I didn't want to upgrade

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2005, 00:39   #6
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
Windows XP (however crap) Has a built-in boot manager, I've used it to dual-boot winXP pro and win98se back when XP was new and I didn't want to upgrade
No, Windows XP has something called boot.ini, which points to different partitions and folders for Windows install.

If you're running a *nix variant on the same machine, you'll need a *nix aware boot manager such as Linux's Lilo or Grub to sit in the first 512kb sector and point at the secondary boot sector for the desired OS.

Or something like that.

Win XP won't boot in between Solaris and itself without a special bootloader, although I'd imagine being Sun there is one available somewhere.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2005, 09:30   #7
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

cant you just use grub for that or does it require linux to be installed? i have no idea of that stuff, i cant even make it boot windows XP from my raid-drive
Unread 26 Jun 2005, 19:24   #8
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i use winxp to boot between xp and fedora core 3.
something called bootpart did the trick for me, made a boot sector image thing and stored it under the xp drive, which the xp bootloader read and ran