User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 29 Mar 2005, 21:40   #1
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve
Computer Falling Apart...

I have two main problems: GFX Card (Radeon 9800 Pro) - power cable error often occurs, constant beeping upon boot, wont boot past power cable not connected message.

After playing with the cable (molex) several times and powering on it'll work.

One of the contacts seems dirty, but there's not much I can think of doing to fix the connection problem.

The other problem is my SATA hard disks: the cables are shit and break often - i have about 6. The disk 'clicks' on and off freezing the pc for a few seconds when it is having whatever problems it is having. Again playing with power and data cables 'seems' to fix the problem but its only temporary.

The drives have both Sata power and normal molex power - is there any difference between the two? Changing from one to the other has little effect.

These two combined are causing reboots when I try to run intensive games etc and its getting VERY annoying
flikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2005, 22:01   #2
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
Re: Computer Falling Apart...

Service your PC and replace dodgy parts. Only way really.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2005, 22:11   #3
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

how about cleaning all your cable connectors (the pins and such) to make sure they're clear of any dirt, we all know dirt isn't very conductive and as such some dirt could cause power problems.

On the other hand, it could also be that your cables simply ain't good, in which case your cables need replacing.

Or, if you're very unlucky, the parts themselves could be dodgy

I listed them in order of both likelyness and cost

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2005, 22:34   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Trying to run too much off a dying PSU?
Unread 30 Mar 2005, 06:55   #5
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Trying to run too much off a dying PSU?
Dang, I missed a possibility.

Actaully, that was my problem up untill recently as well, luckily that old 300w PSU died (probably of a broken fuse) and I replaced it with a beefier 350w (which also had much better distribution of its power).

But my PC wasn't giving any errors, it would just randomly reset/bluescreen/go off entirely. It did only do this while starting up/running certain games. Especially America's Army was major overkill

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2005, 10:37   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When my Shuttle PSU was on its last legs, it had similar symptoms. It would refuse to detect drives, stall during IO operations, turn itself off, blue-screen while trying to burn CDs etc. Threw a new, marginally more powerful one in and it seemed a lot happier, not had any problems since. Worth investigating if cleaning the molexes doesn't work, anyway.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 19:06   #7
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

In case anyone was wondering, or cares, the problem was the PSU. I'd recommend checking your PSUs if you have problems - a new one is about £15, what a relief !
flikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 00:26   #8
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Actually, I have a few other ideas:

1) PSU, good suggestion pablissimo
2) Your old PSU- power surge blew its fuse? damaged your mobo?
3) Damaged mobo in general
4) damaged chipset on mobo [hmm... this could easily lead to your SATA controller going wonky...]
5) the power connector on your mobo is gone [my money's on this...]

I mean there are sooooooo many possibilties... I wish you luck,

PS: what mobo do you have???
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 03:42   #9
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
Actually, I have a few other ideas:

1) PSU, good suggestion pablissimo
2) Your old PSU- power surge blew its fuse? damaged your mobo?
3) Damaged mobo in general
4) damaged chipset on mobo [hmm... this could easily lead to your SATA controller going wonky...]
5) the power connector on your mobo is gone [my money's on this...]

I mean there are sooooooo many possibilties... I wish you luck,

PS: what mobo do you have???
if you had bothered to read the thread (more importantly, the post above yours) you would have noticed that he told you, and everyone else, that the problem was the PSU 25 DAYS AGO
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 10:42   #10
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Theis has happened to me twice... apologies again. I haven't been on the forums for over 5 months so... ehm...well I'm little lazy! sorry!
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 16:47   #11
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I learnt this with my old machine many years ago, that's why when I built my current one I made sure it had a beefy power supply in it with plenty of leg-room.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote