User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 25 Jan 2005, 22:26   #1
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold
Nokia 6260, Sony Ericsson s700i

After much deliberation, I have decided to purchase one of these phones,
The 6260 uses the series 60 platform of its OS, the s700i I am unsure,
Nowhere on the internet can i find the information I am looking for, so, in despair I wish to consult somebody who may possess one of these:

Does the OS have an upper limit on the amount of SMS messages that can be stored on the phone's memory. Both have upgradeable memory etc., shared "dynamically", but many manufacurer's impose and upper limit of 100-150 SMS's (total, btwn sim and phone memory) [Siemens S65 for example, even though it can handle up to 256mb] due to processing speeds and RAM. Any information would be appreciated.

Oh, and admin, feel free to move this to IT if you feel the need- I just feel more at home staying within the bounds of the GD community.
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 22:29   #2
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Nokia 6260, Sony Ericsson s700i

symbian symbian!
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 22:55   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My Sony Ericsson T630 imposes a limit of 100 messages which is a little annoying.
I imagine things have moved on a bit for the S700i, and that's the phone I would get. It's a lot prettier in physical terms and the user interface is much nicer.
I used to have a Series 60 nokia and it's not all it's cracked up to be. It's only worth considering if you intend to install lots of aftermarket software (who does that on a phone fs?) or if the Nokia has some massive feature advantage over the S.E.

Oh and the S.E.'s screen is much nicer too.
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 23:01   #4
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Well it is €200-€300 cheaper! but your series 60 nokia- a limit on SMS's?
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 23:06   #5
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

I think I'm gonna get a s700i now, as it apears that o2 have stopped offering samsung d500's on their website. So unless I can blag one when I phone up in the next few days, I'll be getting the sony effort.
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 23:17   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I would advise you to try the 6260 in a shop before you buy it. It strikes me as a terribly designed phone and I'd personally rather get the older 6600 instead. If you're going for contract you can get the 7610 for free too, which also seems like a far better option.

If you don't think you'll use any Symbian apps though, you're probably best going for the sony.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 23:34   #7
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The 7610 or the 6230 both rock highly

although the samsung is easy to use, played around with an a800, e300 and some others for a while, they are reliable too, it's personal preference, but I think the 7610 will last longer.
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 01:06   #8
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

I currently have the nokia 6600 and im upgrading to the s700i if t-mobile bring it out on their network (as i can get 50% off the line rental for a year \o/)
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 01:30   #9
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

samsung or nokia!!! ericsson phones suck and are overpriced! i got the samsung SCHa670, it can only store 50 sms messages but its an all around phone.. internet, camera, etc - dont get an ericsson, unless youre a james bond fan, then go ahead

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 09:18   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Am I not correct in thinking that the Sony Ericssons do everything their Samsung equivilants do but with better aesthetics and a nicer UI? That certainly seems to be the case with my T630 vs my mate's Samsung whatever-the-hell-it-is flipphone type job.
Another thing I forgot to mention earlier is that Sony Ericsson phones have a much better bluetooth implementation than most, especially than Nokia who add strange proprietry extentions to stop it working with anything but other Nokia stuff at anything more than a basic level.
I don't know if its important to you or not. I use it to sync my phonebook to my PC etc, which is something my Nokia never let me do unless I used Nokia PC Suite, which is quite frankly one of the most shocking peices of software I've ever tried to use.

Also: 50 sms limit?! Christ, that'd have been enough to make me take it back for a refund, in this age that's rediculous.
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 09:46   #11
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point

only trouble is the s700i is a briK! its bigger than my P800 and that's more PDA than Phone (cos it's shit as a phone)
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 10:14   #12
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I've never been in a situation where I've needed to store more than my allowed 9 SMSs
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 10:34   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

6230 can store between 150 and 200 messages, i have yet to see anything that would make me suspect that the 6260 can store anymore, however, why the hell would you need any more?
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 10:50   #14
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Possibly so when you are bored you can read through your old messages... thats what I occasionally do, on my N-Gage QD, which currently has 807 messages on there
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 12:43   #15
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

s700i - pretty good. Loads of memory (up to 1Gb external memory) apparently despite its size.

6260 - a real brick in my opinion

6230 - good but memory goes up to 256mb

d500 - brilliant small phone but not my kind.

7610 - good but the 6670 is even better. That's why my shop stopped selling the 7610.

T630 - go for k700i (bar O2). I can store more than 50 sms (I haven't counted them yet). Plus better colour screen and resolution.

EDIT: I got k700i, Motorola v620 and SE P910i (with P910i I can change the software/OS to whatever is available out there).
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 14:06   #16
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
6230 can store between 150 and 200 messages...
wow!! 200?! jeez, thats a lot of messages!!!

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 14:23   #17
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

On my old series 60 nokia i would often have in excess of 250 stored... the one good thing about that series 50 implimentation is it was true shared memory so you could have as many as you liked until the memory ran out.
As to why - well, i use txt like other people use email probably. I get 500 a month so it's useful to be able to flick back through and check things. However the problem with the T630 only storing 100 can be got around by using this rather nifty software, providing you have bluetooth. Among other things it lets me archive all my SMS messages to the PC.

And yes, now it's out I would get the K700i over the T630... but why not on O2?
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 17:41   #18
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

My friend got the K700i until it broke and that little joystick is stupid.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 22:47   #19
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

I went into the O2 shop today to look for a new phone, I thought the 6260 looked nice on their website, but like the Phones4U dude said, it's a ****ing brick.
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 22:52   #20
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

If you need a phone that has more than a 10 SMS storage capability it is inevitably so you can leave your phone on the desk so that someone reads them so you can pretend to be annoyed but in reality be really glad that you can a) show off that you have a text message from a girl in your inbox and b) look really popular because you have 170 SMSs in your inbox, although they date back to 1974.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 06:18   #21
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
And yes, now it's out I would get the K700i over the T630... but why not on O2?
Apparently, my company said that there's a problem between O2 and SE about the k700i where about 1% of the phones (apparently it's a lot) receive SMS's quite late, things go a bit weird, etc. So O2 have withdrawn them and they'll try to fix the problem with SE (which I very much doubt since there's always a new phone every month).

Which is all seem a bit bizarre to me because I've got it on O2 (PAYG sadly (but 300 free texts a month)) and I haven't had any problems.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 06:24   #22
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
If you need a phone that has more than a 10 SMS storage capability it is inevitably so you can leave your phone on the desk so that someone reads them so you can pretend to be annoyed but in reality be really glad that you can a) show off that you have a text message from a girl in your inbox and b) look really popular because you have 170 SMSs in your inbox, although they date back to 1974.
or you're too lazy to delete the old ones. my phone was a pain in the arse for this, resulting in it always being full and me never getting smss.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 08:23   #23
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

I've got the s700i and it does what it's supposed to.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 11:00   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I had a k700i, there was a limit on 100 messages which was majorly annoying. I like to keep some of my old texts for sentimental reasons, reading through them I can determine what I was doing weeks ago, my mood, things I needed to remember etc. It's like keeping old e-mails (or even letters I guess). If your girlfriend wrote you a letter every day would you throw them away when it got to the 50th letter or so?

I was relieved of said phone on Friday night however after drinking a little too much and ending up outside on Tottenham Court Road in a pool of my own vomit.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 12:40   #25
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Classy.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 17:27   #26
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold

I wanted the s700 but o2 just told me they have returned them all due to manufacturers fault
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 17:30   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
If your girlfriend wrote you a letter every day would you throw them away when it got to the 50th letter or so?
If the letters were as vacuous as most text messages are ('Ok, see you in a bit'), I wouldn't wait for 50.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 21:06   #28
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC

Me and Amy can text each other for free, so when we are not in the immediate physical presence of each other, it is the preferred method of communication- so I have many many messages that are very sweet which I would like to keep etc.

Oh and nobody *actually* answered my question though! Thanks anyway guys- i'll just give nokia a ring and hope somebody there knows their phones and can get back to me on it.
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 15:09   #29
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I was relieved of said phone on Friday night however after drinking a little too much and ending up outside on Tottenham Court Road in a pool of my own vomit.
So that would explain why I saw a puddle of puke when I went to work the next morning. Very nice Dante.