User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Dec 2004, 01:19   #1
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
geeky probs

I have 2 different fysical harddrives on my pc

both these harddrives are partitioned

my operating system is running from partition F on harddisk 2, which is a total of 4.5 GB

I want to move all this to partition C on harddisk 1, which is 6 GB. Can I move it all, reboot, and then it magically runs from C, and ofcourse, if so, how?
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 01:36   #2
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: geeky probs

you HDD should be booting firdgt, therefore, you should distribute ther
rest of the programmes among the availabe memory
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 01:40   #3
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It can be done, however as it is what is best described as a complete pig of a job, you don't really want to do it. Why exactly do you have it setup the way you do ?

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 03:15   #4
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

when i installed this XP thingy i could only chose from a few partitions, but not the old one, since it had to be formatted first. With that in mind and the old operating system giving me jack shit functionality (which meant i really had to install something i chose this option, which i thought would give me with 4.5 GB enough space)

after that it found both fysical drives again and i could clean up my old partition, but at that stage i still had 1 GB of free space on my operating partition, however, however, i lost more and more space due to windows, so i moved all my documents and settings stuff that i could move to another partition and so forth, but now it really bugs me, I want to set it all up on another partition.
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 11:27   #5
Peets

Peets has a little shameless behaviour in the past

maybe use mirroring?
Peets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 13:23   #6
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

which means?
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 13:41   #7
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i dont think you can just copy it all, i doubt that will work.
how much work would it be to just install winXP on c:\ all over again?
if you want to avoid that: did you move your windows-swap-file to the other partition? maybe that could give you a few 100 MB of free space. also, did you install any program to the default folders (in your case that would be f:\program files (or something like that). if so, maybe you can just reinstall a few programs to another directory on anthoer partition.
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 14:10   #8
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Copying won't work. All the file paths will need to be altered. And that's before you have to go through the registration database.

tbh, it's easier to reinstall everything again.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 15:20   #9
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

ah bloody hell.

(and yes wu_trax, the swap file, documents and settings, everything that could be moved has been moved to another partition.)
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 15:41   #10
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

if possible you should try to use a partition even larger than the 6GB. i have 10 for windows, i only need 5 and that includes the swap-file and some other stuff i could move, but i think its always a good idea to have some extra-space. last time a checked the prices a GB of hd-space did cost less than an €...
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 15:43   #11
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

you are right, i know, but I asumed I had enough space free ... getting another harddisk soon i think, the 4.5 partition is on a 30 GB harddisk, all my IDE slots are used atm, and I have a 45 GB harddisk lying arround, but that is on 4500 RPM, and I aint going to use 45 RPM on a OS partition
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 16:05   #12
wu_trax

i just got another idea: get a copy of partition magic 'somewhere' and just change the size of your partitions. i didnt use it for ages, but if i remember correctly you could change the size of partition with it without loosing any data.
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 21:35   #13
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
i just got another idea: get a copy of partition magic 'somewhere' and just change the size of your partitions.
I 'got' this for Ste once, seemed to solve his problems.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 22:45   #14
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

got partition magic, but can't change the partition size, as the rest of the fysical hd is full. I really need to move this data from one partition to the other so it also boots from another fysical drive (etc etc etc)
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 23:00   #15
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
I have 2 different fysical harddrives on my pc

both these harddrives are partitioned

my operating system is running from partition F on harddisk 2, which is a total of 4.5 GB

I want to move all this to partition C on harddisk 1, which is 6 GB. Can I move it all, reboot, and then it magically runs from C, and ofcourse, if so, how?
Oh God.

Well the only solution I can think of is "ghost"(though i'm not sure about your different HDD capacities). And a new HDD, 200GB for €100 these days.
"my operating system is running from partition F on harddisk 2"- 2? i take it that this is your "master drive", and you have called it F.
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 01:57   #16
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
Oh God.

Well the only solution I can think of is "ghost"(though i'm not sure about your different HDD capacities). And a new HDD, 200GB for €100 these days.
"my operating system is running from partition F on harddisk 2"- 2? i take it that this is your "master drive", and you have called it F.
finding more and more out i need another harddrive, but:

i have 2 fysical harddrives, both with multiple partitions.