User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 1 Mar 2013, 19:01   #1
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Round 51 scan change.

Yes. This is a terrible idea. Don't do it.

The setup

Having disted before, back in round 24 I figured I knew roughly what I was signing up for: I'd be unscannable and get no incs. I'd have tons of roids, but no FCs, therefore crap income and low value. I'd end bottom half top 100, at best. I'd post on these here forums as I'm doing now and I'd be vindicated at last. People would faint hysterically at the sight of me and beg to win my favour and to kiss my fee... uhm, I appear to have gone a little off-topic.

The round started off as you'd expect: I signed up as Ter/Tot, saved most of my startup bonus, built a few reslabs, an amp (dumb), a few factories (2 too many) and some dists. I used most of my startup bonus at tick 26, only saving some CU to fit my cons around my sleeping rhythm.

(208 CU per tick gives you a dist every 4.33 ticks. If you want to sleep for 8 hours a night right when a dist is about to finish, that means you will be wasting 3 ticks of construction time. Unacceptable. So you hold onto some of your startup bonus and use it to finish a dist right before you go to bed. I did this religiously and I only missed a single tick in the first 300 ticks or so.)

Attacking

When protection ended I blind launched 3 De fleets at 3 ters in the same gal. All 3 landed. I capped 269 roids and found myself at #7. Neat. On the down side, I was not yet unscannable, so I got roided 3 ticks later. Bummer.

I stuck with it, and landed another 4 attacks the next 3 nights and popped my upgrade bonus at tick 120. Earlier that round, I had scanned most Terrans in the universe and found all the scanners. I was unscannable by all of them, with a grand total of 4 CU to spare. My next dist would tick 121, as would the best scanner's next amp. And it got even better: 15 minutes after popping the bonus, I blocked a bunch of scans: my gal would be getting hit that very night. My timing was a ****ing work of art. It was so beautiful, I almost cried.

Alas. I got roided twice, despite heroic efforts by Rock to defend me. It was so tragic, I almost cried.

I was out of the top 100 by this point. I landed 3 attacks on the 5th and 6th nights and got roided twice on the 7th night and another 3 times on the 8th night. I was barely top 300 now.

Getting scanned

This was a pattern that'd repeat itself. For 2 or 3 nights, I'd land way more than I had a right to, but then I'd get roided several times. I'd expected to be unscannable, and I was. But I still got incs. Why? Because in some awesome display of brilliance, long ago, PA Team decided that landing scans should ignore dists. I'd actually argued against that at the time, but my pleas were ignored.

This is how landing scans change disting: People who can't scan you won't attack you. But landing scans mean they can always scan you at least somewhat. Just launch and do a landing scan at eta 1. Defense is limited as much by the number of ships as it is by the number of fleets, so in a galraid, you've got pretty good odds of seeing 0 defense fleets.

Nails in the coffin: 1.

Still getting scanned

Add to landing scans the fact that the stats were pretty static this round (this was totally my fault). For many fleets, you don't need to know what kind of ships your target has. Ter can be roided by Ter Bs, Cat Co, Xan Fi, Xan De. Those fleets are unstoppable as Ter, almost regardless of what you build.

This is also where the upcoming r51 change will have its impact. Even with ship stats that are more variable than the ones we had this round, if you can be unit scanned then you will still get attacked.

Nails in the coffin: 2.

(Not) defending

So landing scans + static stats = you get incs. What do you need if you get incs? That's right. You need defense.

Disting involves spending all your construction time on dists. In order to build a dist every 4.33 ticks, you need Infra 50 before tick 80, and Infra 100 before tick 180. In addition, because you have no FCs and no refineries, and because you spend a quarter of your income on dists (this is not an exaggeration), you need more roids than most people. About 50% more, in fact (also not an exaggeration, I'll get back to it). More roids = more HCT.

So in addition to spending all your CU on dists, you spend all your RP on Infra and HCT, leaving nothing to spare for TT. I didn't get Warpgate until tick 237 and Hypergate until tick 394. No TT means you can't defend. (It also means you land less, but that's less important)

It doesn't matter if you have an informal Ascendancy/Apprime-like system of defense or a more CT/Rock-like system: if you don't defend, you don't get defended. Invariably, when the list of people who defended least was mailed around, I would feature on it prominently, only outdone by idlers.

Nails in the coffin: 3.

Getting roided

What happens if you don't get defense? You get roided. You get roided a lot. (I actually did get quite a bit of defense, certainly more than I deserved. Despite that, I still got roided quite frequently.)

A few paragraphs ago, I said that you need 50% more roids to make disting worth it, but I didn't explain why. Let me do that here. Below, I've listed the values of the planets who were 17th through 23rd on tick-roids, around tick 200, ignoring the value of roids: 511k, 513k, 480k, 307k, 484k, 496k, 476k

Spot the distwhore. Go on. I'll give you a hint: IT'S THE ONE WITH THE SHIT FLEET.

The average value of the 6 planets who were nearest to mine on tick-roids was 493k. I'd crashed maybe 15k value total, which puts me at 322k fleet value. 35% less than other planets. 1 / 0.65 = 1.53. I would've needed 53% more roids to be able to keep up with them. And that ignores that disters have a disproportional amount of value in their structures.

Nails in the coffin: 4.

Summary
  1. Dists are expensive, so you need lots of roids to afford them.
  2. Roids need HCT. Dists need Infra.
  3. Spending all your time on HCT and Infra means you have no time for TT.
  4. You can't defend without TT, so you won't get defended.
  5. Landing scans (and soon, unit scans) allow people to (launch and) land safely.
  6. No defense and lots of roids gets you roided. Often.
  7. Gettting roided means your planet is shit.

Suggestions

Now, don't get me wrong: I understand the point of landing scans. But right now, they're simultaneously too weak and too strong. They're useless for general play because they show too little information. They're too strong because they destroy distwhoring. Keep in mind that there are only 4 ways of playing this game: XP whoring, disting, cov opping and standard value play. With disting broken, 3 of those are unviable. You might as well give everyone a 50% mining bonus and full scans, and remove constructions altogether.

However, I also get that the only real hope PA has of surviving is by making the learning curve less... shall we say, 'pronounced'.

The notion of giving people a scan they themselves can do on their target is a good one. I think we should keep landing scans. However, it should not completely wreck one of the few ways this game can be played.

My suggestion, therefore, is the following: vary how strongly each scan is blocked by dists.

Landing scans are a fairly basic scan. Therefore, it should be easier (but not trivial!) to penetrate dists. Jumpgate probes are a more advanced scan, so dists should be more effective against them. Say I have 100 dists. My suggestion would be that you'd need the following number of amps to scan me:

Code:
|---------------+------|
| Scan          | Amps |
|---------------+------|
| Planet        |   50 |
| Landing       |   50 |
| Development   |   75 |
| Unit          |   75 |
| News          |  100 |
| Incoming      |  100 |
| Jumpgate      |  125 |
| Advanced Unit |  125 |
|---------------+------|
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 1 Mar 2013 at 19:15. Reason: P.S. Just for the record, Benneh agrees with me.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2013, 19:11   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Unit scans ignoring distorters?!? WTF I don't even...

What mz said.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2013, 19:14   #3
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

¨Fully agree with mz.
Unread 1 Mar 2013, 20:53   #4
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Just posting to say that this change isn't a closed discussion and that I will return to it at the weekend or maybe Monday. I fully accept your point and I do like the different approach of the above. It's partially why I announced stuff early, to have this discussion now.

I would like to find a compromise to make it possible for newer planets / alliances to be able to play to some extent without a hardcore scanner.
Unread 1 Mar 2013, 21:25   #5
Plaguuu

Plaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nice

I dont like that everyone gets landscan in quest now, I think I mentioned this before but instead of having everyone building one amp getting lnc scan, make it smth like get 5 amps before tick 100 for free landscan. That way the quest gives some options instead of the boring "everyone do that to get this and that" if you want the 1200 rp l scan for free you have to sacrifice some precious cu
Plaguuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2013, 21:50   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Building more than 1 amp for the landing scan reward would fit well with my suggestion.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 2 Mar 2013, 12:40   #7
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

making unit scans immune to dists seems like a good idea to me. it doesnt stop faking as an option, and it makes scans more accessible for solo/less active alliances.

also, after a couple of hundred ticks, unit scans are no longer used as Advanced makes them obsolete.
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2013, 12:54   #8
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

also, i think full blocking dist whoring has never been a viable option. hardcore scanners will always be so close that you suck.

dist whoring, in my opinion, is to have enough that noone, barring hardcore scanners, can do an incoming scan on you. therefore meaning, faking is fun for you. any more dists than that is pointless.

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Unread 2 Mar 2013, 13:55   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
also, i think full blocking dist whoring has never been a viable option.
It was viable before landing scans. It wasn't good, but it was viable.

Quote:
dist whoring, in my opinion, is to have enough that noone, barring hardcore scanners, can do an incoming scan on you.
That's a redefinition of the term that only came about because actual distwhoring is so awful now.
Unread 5 Mar 2013, 10:37   #10
Reincarnate
ToF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
It was viable before landing scans. It wasn't good, but it was viable.
i think we would disagree here. i remember those days when i had (total possible cons) - 2 in amps cos i was a hardcore scanner. was vital if you DC'd. maybe there werent loads that had that though?

Quote:
That's a redefinition of the term that only came about because actual distwhoring is so awful now.
i think, like any game, when changes occur you must change with them. having 50ish dists say, will give you a big advantage but you can still have plenty of refs.

still, the problem still all comes down to 1 thing; not enough players. more players = more roids = refs less relevant.

Unread 5 Mar 2013, 11:26   #11
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

right so to summarize somebody came up with a god awful idea that removes 1/4 of the playing options within the game , you can build distorters but still be scanned , the sooner they find a cure for stupidity the better

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2013, 11:35   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
i think we would disagree here. i remember those days when i had (total possible cons) - 2 in amps cos i was a hardcore scanner. was vital if you DC'd. maybe there werent loads that had that though?
Benneh, JBG, qebab and me disted successfully in r24. Benneh and me had 16 incs that entire round and we were unscannable for most of it. Pretty sure that I actually got all my factories cov opped away at some point.

Quote:
i think, like any game, when changes occur you must change with them.
And when bad changes are made we must fight them. As I'm doing now.
Unread 5 Mar 2013, 11:47   #13
Reincarnate
ToF

yeah i wasnt playing those rounds, so i guess i should of said that. played 1 to about 18.

anyways, i really dont think units being unblockable will make that much difference.

i think your variable amount of amps required is a good idea, sadly, i dont think it'll happen.

Unread 5 Mar 2013, 12:28   #14
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
i think your variable amount of amps required is a good idea, sadly, i dont think it'll happen this round.
Unread 5 Mar 2013, 12:33   #15
Reincarnate
ToF

well. if that change is gonna happen in a round or 2, i would suggest not changing unit scans to be unblockable at the moment.

better to just do 1 big overhaul of the entire scanning system.

Unread 6 Mar 2013, 01:18   #16
tobbe

tobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
well. if that change is gonna happen in a round or 2, i would suggest not changing unit scans to be unblockable at the moment.

better to just do 1 big overhaul of the entire scanning system.

VisioN Forever!
tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2013, 10:41   #17
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

if Units are immune to distorters (why not) then at least the number of distorters should determine how far off the number of ships are.
Unread 6 Mar 2013, 21:41   #18
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
if Units are immune to distorters (why not) then at least the number of distorters should determine how far off the number of ships are.
Unless it was an entirely random figure then it would just be calculatable and be pointless. But then if its random then the dist count would have no bearing on the number given.

I think that really the best solution is just to stick an amp threshold on the availability of scans, maybe instead of being able to research them.

ie.

1 amp - Planet Scan AND Incomming Scan
5 amp - Landing Scan
6 amp - Development Scan
8 amp - News Scan
10 amp - Jumpgate Scan
15 amp - Advanced Unit Scan

Bear in mind that this is required just to use the scan, distorters are still relevant, a 16 dist planet will not be able to be AU scanned by a 15 amp planet.

I think the added extra of this is the covops then become a little more useful early game, you could remove the ability to make oneself 'immune' to covops and install a randomiser, obviously the more guards and sec centres you have the lower the probability of getting covoped successfully but you are never 100% immune. This would mean that a scan planet is not a lazy planet anymore and there is a need early on to look after yourself as there will be planet out there looking to kill amps and prevent you being able to required scans (obviously as the round wears on the amp count gets so high that it becomes irrelevant but it could make for a hectic few days. Imagine if your ally J scan rusher gets covoped to under 10 amps when your first attacks are at eta 4!!)

* Maybe also a final reward should be in place too for those planets that are purely scan planets for their alliances, The AI scan. Reached at 100 amps it allows the use of a scan that can 'incomming scan' any fleet attacking an alliance member. To negate the OPness of this scan, the amp requirement is reset so to say... so to AI scan a 1 dist planet the scanner would need 101 amps and so on... Just a thought, im very much into making covops and scans more dynamic part of PA as atm they can be 'lazy options'
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2013, 12:24   #19
Demort
Anarchy Shadow

Demort is just really niceDemort is just really niceDemort is just really niceDemort is just really niceDemort is just really nice

I'm presuming the unit scan not blocked by dists would still only show pods for xan therefore I think it's a good idea as some people don't wanna be in alliance as don't wanna be woke up at stupid o'clock so for them to be at least able to scan with units to roughly guess what they got incoming is handy so they can still have a decent planet

EX

Legion, Fury, Xanadu, Wolfpack, NoS, TSU, LKSAB, Vgn, F-Crew, CT, Insomnia, Angels, VsN, Gross, Osiris, ROCK, XvX, Faceless, Unsullied, Haven, Carisan, RaGe, Carnage, Kittenz and EC

Currently

In ODDR Command
Demort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2013, 13:00   #20
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demort View Post
I'm presuming the unit scan not blocked by dists would still only show pods for xan therefore I think it's a good idea as some people don't wanna be in alliance as don't wanna be woke up at stupid o'clock so for them to be at least able to scan with units to roughly guess what they got incoming is handy so they can still have a decent planet
Sorry but lets be realistic and say that unallied planets are not decent planets. This change is far more detrimental than it is benefical. Currently as an alliance DC you can get away with just using U scans except for cloaked incs (and then sometimes you can still get away with it by seeing what the attacker is sending pod wise and what the target is self covered against), its just a case of slightly over covering a call by say 15% and you will have the same effect as using an AU scan.

The game is basically an alliance game now, especially in this smaller universe so using unallied planets as the the pro basis for the change is wrong... simple.
Unread 8 Mar 2013, 13:45   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demort View Post
If I invest a ton of resources in dists, why should people who didn't invest anything in amps be able to scan me?
Unread 8 Mar 2013, 20:08   #22
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Sorry but lets be realistic and say that unallied planets are not decent planets. This change is far more detrimental than it is benefical. Currently as an alliance DC you can get away with just using U scans except for cloaked incs (and then sometimes you can still get away with it by seeing what the attacker is sending pod wise and what the target is self covered against), its just a case of slightly over covering a call by say 15% and you will have the same effect as using an AU scan.

The game is basically an alliance game now, especially in this smaller universe so using unallied planets as the the pro basis for the change is wrong... simple.
unallied planets are new players which we generally want to keep, rather than letting the memberbase continue to shrink.

Quote:
If I invest a ton of resources in dists, why should people who didn't invest anything in amps be able to scan me?
Dists should be made quicker and cheaper to build and not be used to make your planet fully immune to scans but to make them less effective. That they can only rely on unit scans and landing scans to attack you.

Even without this change, Disting was only really viable for Xan's and with this change? its basically the same as you'll be able to build whatever ships your trying to fake due to the ETA you need to send at.

To play this game at all, you need access to Landing Scans and Unit Scans at a bare minimum. Alliances got round this problem by simply having dedicated scanners but casual players and new players will not have access to these scans and therefore cannot play the game; Thats hardly a good design choice.

Im pro Landing Scans and Unit Scans available at tick 0 and being unblockable for this reason.

People will still want scanners, as JGP's are far easier to use as it gives you a 4 minute window and actually allows you to calc while people will still want AU's for cloaked ships.

Im not adverse to changing the unit scan to make it less effective but i cant think of a way to do that while still allowing planets without access to dedicated scanner to actually play the game. Unless unit scan now only gives you the total amount of ships (excluding cloaked) and what ships the player has built for example: 20k ships, X, Y, Z.

Required dedicated scanner planets in order to play the game, is outdated and harmful to the overall game. It must change and to argue that its extremly bad as it will ruin one of 4 viable ways of playing the game? i cant help but laugh. The last time anyone even played via all out disting and did well was over 20 rounds ago. Now dists are used to block incoming scans and that wont change with unit scans being unblockable.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2013, 20:20   #23
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
unallied planets are new players which we generally want to keep, rather than letting the memberbase continue to shrink.
Still doesn't get away from the fact that its a change to benefit a vast minority, it kills the game for a lot of ppl who invest a lot of time into it by allowing them to be scanned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by light
Even without this change, Disting was only really viable for Xan's and with this change? its basically the same as you'll be able to build whatever ships your trying to fake due to the ETA you need to send at.
Wrong! Mz successfully disted as a Terran last round, only stat flaws let him down. He was a pain to raid as getting j scans on him was a bitch, and deffing against someone you will never I scan and possibly will not be able to get a u or au scan of at short notice means his attacks were de prioritised for defending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by light
To play this game at all, you need access to Landing Scans and Unit Scans at a bare minimum. Alliances got round this problem by simply having dedicated scanners but casual players and new players will not have access to these scans and therefore cannot play the game; Thats hardly a good design choice.
You need an alliance to play this game to any acceptable standard. 70% of alliances will take in a player that shows some iniative and comes on irc and asks to join. Again changing the game for the benefit of a largely half assed, inactive minority is wrong.
Unread 8 Mar 2013, 20:27   #24
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Dists should be made quicker and cheaper to build and not be used to make your planet fully immune to scans but to make them less effective. That they can only rely on unit scans and landing scans to attack you.

You haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. You could not be more wrong. First of all, proper distwhoring is only possible for Terrans. Xan construction speed is fast, but not fast enough.

Second, distwhoring has nothing to do with attacking. You can defend against a distwhore by just covering the fleet they could've sent. You don't need to know if they sent 10k Wyvern and 20k Dragon or 20k Wyvern and 10k Dragon to organize defense. Just assume they sent 20k Wyvern and 20k Dragon. That's harder, yes, but it's not impossible. The actual goal of distwhoring is to make it impossible for attackers to land on you, because they can't know if you got defense. This is why landing scans ruined distwhoring.

Moving along.

Quote:

Im pro Landing Scans and Unit Scans available at tick 0 and being unblockable for this reason.

People will still want scanners, as JGP's are far easier to use as it gives you a 4 hour window and actually allows you to calc while people will still want AU's for cloaked ships.
I agree that the current scanning tree is incorrectly structured. An attack involves first getting a unit scan, then a landing scan. The scanning tree has that the wrong way around.

Quote:
Im not adverse to changing the unit scan to make it less effective but i cant think of a way to do that while still allowing planets without access to dedicated scanner to actually play the game. Unless unit scan now only gives you the total amount of ships (excluding cloaked) and what ships the player has built for example: 20k ships, X, Y, Z.
Fixing the scanning system is actually very easy. Give people unit scans first, possibly through the 'build 1 amp' quest. When they're eta 1 with an attack fleet, give them access to landing scans. If you can't unit scan your target, you won't launch on it, and therefore landing scans don't need to be unblockable. If you never got a unit scan in the first place, you probably have access to an alliance scanner, so you can get your JGP from there. Problem ****ing solved.

Quote:
successfully
Nuh-uh.
Unread 8 Mar 2013, 20:31   #25
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Still doesn't get away from the fact that its a change to benefit a vast minority, it kills the game for a lot of ppl who invest a lot of time into it by allowing them to be scanned.
the active player base doesnt dist whore and it doesnt kill the game for anyone as they were highly likely to be scanned by an alliance scanner anyway.

The vast majority of the active playerbase only builds dists mid-end game to prevent there targets from using incoming scans on them when they want to fake.

Quote:
Wrong! Mz successfully disted as a Terran last round, only stat flaws let him down. He was a pain to raid as getting j scans on him was a bitch, and deffing against someone you will never I scan and possibly will not be able to get a u or au scan of at short notice means his attacks were de prioritised for defending.
He was a pain in the ass to roid as getting j scans on him was a bitch? wont change.

and with the limit amount of people currently disting, you can simply unit scan them with your high-amp scanners every so often. Before, when defending, you would simply be working off a unit or au scan afew days old at maximum, only change now is it'll be a more recent one.

Quote:
You need an alliance to play this game to any acceptable standard. 70% of alliances will take in a player that shows some iniative and comes on irc and asks to join. Again changing the game for the benefit of a largely half assed, inactive minority is wrong.
So, on one hand, we have a change which is a step (a small one, unit scans still arnt available at tick 0) towards making the game actually playable for new players.

on the other hand, we have people moaning about the change cuz one planet did that strat last round and it wasnt that effective.

The only example we have of this 'dist' strat which apparently the majority use all the time and so we cant weaken it being used by a lot of people is round 25 when Asc went dist heavy. In that round, they didnt even get top 4 with organised ST attacks on alliance scanners and recruiting any high level amp player they could find.

Lets be honest here, when were talking about the minority, its dist whores which are the minority with only 2-3 people doing it per round and usually failing using the strat before this change has even happend.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Unread 8 Mar 2013, 20:40   #26
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
You haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. You could not be more wrong. First of all, proper distwhoring is only possible for Terrans. Xan construction speed is fast, but not fast enough.

Second, distwhoring has nothing to do with attacking. You can defend against a distwhore by just covering the fleet they could've sent. You don't need to know if they sent 10k Wyvern and 20k Dragon or 20k Wyvern and 10k Dragon to organize defense. Just assume they sent 20k Wyvern and 20k Dragon. That's harder, yes, but it's not impossible. The actual goal of distwhoring is to make it impossible for attackers to land on you, because they can't know if you got defense. This is why landing scans ruined distwhoring.

Moving along.
Yeah, landing scans ruined dist whoring ages ago but people arnt using that argument, they're using that unit scans will ruin it. These days theres hardly anyone if anyone who actually properly dist whores while playing properly and actively.

As i said, no-one does it anymore really. Its just Xans who do it to block incoming scans so they can fake.

Quote:
Fixing the scanning system is actually very easy. Give people unit scans first, possibly through the 'build 1 amp' quest. When they're eta 1 with an attack fleet, give them access to landing scans. If you can't unit scan your target, you won't launch on it, and therefore landing scans don't need to be unblockable. If you never got a unit scan in the first place, you probably have access to an alliance scanner, so you can get your JGP from there. Problem ****ing solved.
I wouldnt mind this change.
Unread 8 Mar 2013, 20:52   #27
Reincarnate
ToF

horrifically, i agree with light a fair bit here. mostly about the fact the only people that really dist these days are xan, and maybe zik/etd stealers.

i, also, conceed that just because only X people doing something is not a reasonable argument.

what a conundrum.....