User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 13 Mar 2007, 12:11   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Question question about java script

Given the vast number of threads in this forum I dont think there someone here who can help me, but I'll try anyway. I don't know much about java script, so atm im trying to copy whatever I need from various sources. Now my Problem is this:
There are two websites on two different servers. If the users clicks on a button on Website A a popup window with content from website B opens. The code looks something like this:

<html>
<head>
<title>My File Browser</title>
<script type="text/javascript">

function SelectFile( fileUrl )
{
window.opener.SetUrl( fileUrl ) ;
window.close() ;
}
</script>
</head>
<body>
<a href="java script:SelectFile('File1.jpg');">File 1</a><br />
<a href="java script:SelectFile('File2.jpg');">File 2</a>
</body>
</html>

In this window the user is supposed to click on a link. After doing so some value is to be put in an input field in website A and website B is to be closed.
Now this all works perfectly fine as long as both websites are on the same server. Unfortunatly the whole point of me doing this is because they are not Is there any easy way to make this work? I just need some way to put a filename into an input field
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 19:45   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: question about java script

I think the browser prevents you from doing such trickery. This seems like a pretty nice way to implement a phishing site. But I'm no expert on this security stuff so I might be wrong.

Alternatively, if you have a PHP webserver running, you can load the other website as a file, and render the HTML in your little window that would be opened locally.
- open little window on server A
- little window opens remote website B using a script (fopen("http://mywebsite.com"))
- little window renders website B's html as-is and does javascript stuff

It's a nasty solution, but if you "just need a way to put a filename into an input field" it should do the trick.
Unread 14 Mar 2007, 00:01   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

thanks a lot, that woks.
Unread 16 Mar 2007, 16:02   #4
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Its javascript, not java script, and using javascript as an anchor target is BAD BAD BAD.

What happens to your users without javascript ?
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2007, 19:53   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

open website b with a parameter in the url which you want to pass to website b, like http://websiteb/index.html?user=one
this website rewrites its urls ( using javascript if you really want, but serverside tech is preferred ) so that this parameter is included in the link to website a, along with something added there.
like : http://websitea/page.html?user=one&var=something
Grab variables from the http get request and process accordingly
Unread 16 Mar 2007, 21:25   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
Its javascript, not java script, and using javascript as an anchor target is BAD BAD BAD.

They should get a decent browser.
Unread 16 Mar 2007, 21:59   #7
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

That's not really an acceptable answer !

While I agree about the capability of javascript, you're cutting off 10% of users who think you're shit because your site doesn't work. They don't see it as their fault !

As Phil suggested, javascript is neither necessary nor the right solution here.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2007, 15:46   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I hate links that use JavaScript at all.

See www.rswww.com. I do a lot of electronics part ordering from them but because pretty much every link on the site is a JavaScript one it's entirely incompatible with tabbed browsing. ****s.
Unread 17 Mar 2007, 17:11   #9
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

pab - you can get a greasemonkey script to parse all javascript links into normal links - the latest version of noscript also happens to have this nifty feature
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2007, 19:30   #10
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne

so people actually post in this forum? who would have thought
anyway, this whole thing is for some specific people and we made it a requirment that they have javascript enabled, the website makes use of fckEditor, which uses javascript quite a lot, so the user would even get as far as clicking my link without it.
anyway i dont have time for this whole project right now
Unread 28 Mar 2007, 19:48   #11
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I would suggest you change the site then so that navigation does not depend on javascript.
For one thing, it means webcrawlers can index your site better and thus will directly improve your search rankings in things like google, yahoo, msn search etc.