User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 14 May 2009, 15:57   #1
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of
The (sad) future of cricket

First, I'd better say that I fully expect this thread to die a painful death as soon as i submit it, but there may be some cricket fans out there.

Since cricket began (or nigh on), test cricket as been the dominant form of the game, which all aspiring cricketers wanted to play, more than anything else. Problem was that while some tests were exceptionally exciting (surpassing the potential excitement produced in any other form of the game), some could be horrendously boring even for the most ardent cricket fan. The result: One-day cricket, designed to finish in a day and almost guarantee a result. This at no point even nearly challenged test cricket for dominance - apart from arguably in recent years, since test match ticket prices have gone sky high, and its watchable on tv... bit like whats happened to football attendences over the past 10-20yrs.

But still, test cricket remained the #1 form of the game by far. Then 20-20 came long - designed to be played in evenings, thus allowing people to go to the matches after work for a few hours with the family. It was a success, but 20-20 is not cricket - its fun, nothing more, or rather, its a game with "fake" passion generated (comparable to the boardgame risk - people get highl emotional over it, but its just a game). Test cricket is a sport, generating real passion.

However, despite the success of 20-20 - test cricket did remain the #1 form of the sport comfortably - the only form that most people give a damn about. But sadly, very sadly, people soon realised that 20-20 had the potential for mega-bucks. Test cricket and one-day cricket do not. So now, just one year after the first mega-bucks 20-20 league was created (the IPL), you have players suddenly saying that they would rather focus on 20-20 than test cricket (chris gayle today, ravi bopara and probably many others in the past). Its all about money, and while fans like myself are despondent about it all, it is understandable. Most people will go where the money is, though will criticise from a-far if they aren't in that position themselves. Comparable to wayne rooney - if the best everton player had left everton for man utd while he was jsut a supporter, he would have been foaming at the mouth in disgust, probably writing silly death threats. But once he's in that position himself....

So what is the future of cricket? 20-20 leaues will gradually dominate, and more people will get into cricket than at the moment. Indeed, more countries might get into the game as well - maybe even america some day? Since baseball is far inferior. At the same time, 20-20 will be where all the money is - players will be bending over backwards to play in it. I think most of test cricket will die - with only australia and england playing it to any remotely high level (ie, best players playing). Possibly south africa as well. I wish I could say west indies too, but sadly - their entire team only cares about the short game now This can be seen by their effort in the relevant forms of the game. In test matches, theyre very lazy and sloppy and urgh, its irritating to watch. In the short format, they're extremely motivated and perform to an exceptionally high standard in the field. To be honest, England are more or less the opposite (as should be the case for all teams!!!).

My prediction is that in 5yrs, all the best players in the world will be principally playing for big money in 20-20 leagues. Test cricket will still be there, but played by the sub-par players, or those that simply can't play the 20-20 form of the game. Thus test cricket will be devoid of entertaining players - it will get even less popular.

That all said - what about hte ashes?!?! Both england and australia, collectively as nations, care about this sporting event. When england won the 2005 ashes, the papers and street parades were almost what you would expect if england had won the football world cup. It was huge - and goes without saying, nothing in 20-20 could ever remotely generate that kind of excitement.

So will the stars from 20-20 come back to test cricket for the ashes? Will the ashes be the only form of test cricket left? (and if so, as a result over a period of time people will care less and less about the ashes).

I just think cricket as a sport is dying - cricket as an entertainment industry is about to take off bigtime.

Its sad I'm sure a lot of people wish megabucks had never come into the english football league either. Whilst the avg game of football is more exciting (amongst top teams), the sport is irreversibly ruined. Every small team (finishing middle of the top division makes you a small team?!?!?! only because they don't have a billionnaire owner because they don't live in a fashionable part of england) loses their best players to the top teams, will struggle to replace them, might be facing relegation the next year. Urgh!

But football's already dead - cricket isn't... yet Fingers crossed it'll be saved, somehow.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote