User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 21 Nov 2008, 05:21   #1
Kenny

Population

I know that there's not a lot we can do with the 'population' at the moment, other than assign percentages, so I was thinking about the different things we can do with 'people' on your planet.

Last round saw the introduction of 'Agents' and 'Security Guards' to handle covert operations. What a great addittion, it certainly made my life (and that of new players to the game) a helluva lot easier.

I was looking to expand on this though, to cover other aspects of Planetarion.

The obvious suggestion is 'Pilots', that would fly your ships. These would cost res per tick to 'employ' too, because apparently in superior advanced alien cultures we're still working on a monetary system similar to the one that's about to lead us in to our 2nd great depression. But it's ok, we'd be paying our pilots a sh*tload of money for doing long distance space hauls, so they'd still be able to eat and hit the pub on Friday night.

What we'd then have to do is introduce 'hazard pay' for those pilots actually involved in conflict. Because obviously - they've been drafted in to your 'military' often against their will, so to actually be involved in conflict you'd have to pay them more to compensate for the emotional distress you cause them. It's either that, or they'll take you to court.

In a fair system, we'd then have to recruit judges in order for verdicts to be passed, but by not recruiting judges you can avoid facing the consequences of legal action. Lawyers wouldn't be an issue anyway, as the pilots would have to pay for them themselves... out of the wages we're giving them.

With the introductions of 'pilots' to man the ships (obviously battleships would need more pilots than a fighter, but that's another issue), you'd then have to employ/recruit/train astronomers to do your scanning. And much like the current system with 'Agents', once an 'Astronomer' has 'looked through his telescope', he'll cease to exist. So really they can only do one scan each. We should really invest in telescopes and Wave Centers that dont kill our Astronomers, but we're too tight fisted to give our Agents return tickets so if we played favouritism we'd face action from the Unions, and strikes, and the last thing you want when you've got half of Ascendancy coming at your planet is a picket line outside your space ports with signs saying "Wave hello, not goodbye".

One has to wonder how you can get from one department of your planet to another so quickly. I mean, you start off with the ability to oversee everything about your planet in an instant. That's quite advanced, to be honest. I mean, surely it would take a while for you to develop that technology? So next round we should introduce a system whereby your first research should be "interplanetary communications". And ofc you'd need scientists for this, that you can assign to your research. And like Security Guards, these Scientists will be born, raised, educated in basic schooling and then lab work - all in the space of about 6 hours. Well, I mean, it's 6 hours to us... it's more like 18 years to them. It'd have to be to get all that in, wouldn't it? That said, if you got your mothers (who have to be paid every tick too) to give birth to scientists at the beginning of the round.... they could be 'alive' for anything up to 1200 ticks. That's like 31 million years old. But hey, it's the future. It could happen.

While you're waiting for your interplanetary communications research to be complete, you'd still want to be able to access different departments. Only, in order to get in between different departments (Construction, Research, Galaxy Status, Population etc) you'd need to get there by 'taxi'. So your first call now has to be train/recruit taxi drivers. Each taxi driver can only make one trip though, so make sure your not browsing PA excessively, or you may find yourself stranded in your Astronomy lab when you really need to be at your military headquarters!! Nightmare!!

So you see, let's explore the potential this Population has. I mean, we're taking steps in the right direction... sure... but if we're going to come up with SUCH A FANTASTIC IDEA AS SECURITY GUARDS AND AGENTS we might as well go the whole 9 yards!

Yay, PA.

Last edited by Kenny; 26 Nov 2008 at 13:29. Reason: corrected "their" to "there" - fking nobo :(
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 06:17   #2
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Population

Kenny: you should simply come play thecolonies. There are population management included.

The problem is all those population addoons and so on gives u lot more to do in the game, hence it will most likely require some more time aswell.

and PA in its curent form is all about beeing laid back.
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 06:58   #3
Vladel
Retired

Vladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really nice

You have far too much time on your hands kenny

Rnd 26-32 Jenova Denial (BC) Newdawn (HC)

Rnd 33 Retired
Vladel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 06:59   #4
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

what if your ships are piloted by robots

robots dont need hazard pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 07:22   #5
Kenny

Who'll make the robots?
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 07:27   #6
Vladel
Retired

Vladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really nice

Hired from contractors!

Rnd 26-32 Jenova Denial (BC) Newdawn (HC)

Rnd 33 Retired
Vladel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 07:33   #7
Kenny

Can we at least try and take this seriously, Vladel?
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 08:15   #8
Hosie
Look its a useless rank.
Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion

Hosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to all

If your going to have pilots your going to want toilets on the ships. Its about time this shocking oversight in PA got fixed.

I DEMAND A NEW STAT RELATING TO TOILETS ON ALL SHIPS

(its not unoriginal if 25 rounds have passed mmmk?)
Hosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 08:19   #9
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

if your gonna have toilets your going to need plumbers , what page do you order them from

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 08:29   #10
P1ngu
Looking for the big Fish

P1ngu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Each taxi driver can only make one trip though, so make sure your not browsing PA excessively, or you may find yourself stranded in your Astronomy lab when you really need to be at your military headquarters!! Nightmare!!
Hehe

"planetarion sims/simcity", think we will get sh*tload of new players :P
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 08:31   #11
Kenny

"Total PlanetariSim"
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 10:22   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Too far.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 14:43   #13
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Way too far tbh.

As mz likes to say, KISS.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 15:52   #14
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

To start using population to any extent then whats needed is single form of currency.

We can now probably remove the M/C/E and create a single value (not gold ffs!). With all main income still coming from roids.

Departments
Pretty much everything in PA can be seperated into departments.

1) Shipwrights [Factories] {Engineers}.
2) Research [Labs] {Scientists}.
3) Cov-ops [Security Centre +Amps? + Dists?] {Agents+Guards}.
4) Treasury (this replaces the mining population slider) [Refinery+Finance centers] {Miners+Traders}
5) Construction [Building Sites] {Construction Workers}.

Department Info
1) Each department building (contruct) has a base amount of points while no employees are employed (most likely what we get atm from each factory).

2) Hiring more employees into a department speeds up the area, but total cost of wages increase.

3) Each department building (Lab/Factory/Security Center/etc) has a maximum employees it can support, thus limiting the bonus (or maybe a stacking penalty).

4) Each employee from population has points assigned for their specified department (Scientists get research points, engineers get production points).

5) Each Department takes money (for employee wages) from your reserves every tick.

6) Production would still be able to have 3 factories (light/medium/heavy), as only the points from factory required by the ship would be included (excluding the engineers).

7) Covert-ops gets all wave scans, now renamed intel reports.

8) Every department has to train employees, before being let lose.

9) Any employee can be returned to the general population, but will have to be retrained if required to move to any deparments (even the one it left).

10) Buildings could now have an Maintanance cost per tick (thus leading to the option of destroying the factory).

11) Production would be based on a production value for the unit (the old M+C+E added together).

12) The maximum units you can build at anyone time, would be determined by total funds availiable (even though you dont use the funds immediatly).

13) You can deliver any completed units that have been built (perhaps with a 1 tick delay in production, and units round down).

14) If a department runs out of funds, productivity stops and will only continue once funds are availiable.

GUI Overview
Replacing Metal+Crystal+Eonium values on the overview would be Money Reserve+Incoming+Outgoing+Overall. If your outgoing is above your income then your money reserve would start to be depleted.

EDIT: More ideas and clarification.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx

Last edited by MrLobster; 21 Nov 2008 at 18:32. Reason: Made some adjustments while I re-read it
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 16:15   #15
Kenny

Look, I was just trying to emphasise how utterly bollocks the Agents/Security Guards were.

They're the worst addition to Planetarion in recent times and should be taken out. They make the most complicated part of the game even more complicated. It's not a good addition, the majority of the community HATES it, and if PATeam/Omac cared anything about what we, the consumer, wanted, they'd get rid of it.
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 16:26   #16
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Well you could just have 1 type of population used with Cov-ops.

Adjust the formulas to have agents used as security guards (thus removing the sec-gaurds altogether). More than one population type in a department is not required.

TBH i dont do cov-op so i dont know much about it, but I was giving an idea on how to implement population into the game in the easiest way i could think of.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 17:38   #17
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Kenny, how often do people have to misinterpret you before you learn that many people are utterly incapable of judging when you're serious and when not? MrLobster over there still doesn't realise.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 17:39   #18
Kenny

I really thought he'd get it on the 2nd time round.

And mz, if I actually cared if everyone "got" me on the first attempt, don't you think I'd have changed by now?

Actually, nvm - that's probably not a given :P
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 18:07   #19
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

So you were joking then?

:P

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 20:34   #20
hairypalms

hairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the rough

i still prefer the slave ship idea to expand on population
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 22:54   #21
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

thats racist and should result in a lifetime ban of hairypalms

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 00:21   #22
Kenny

I too am offended by the suggestion that we should promote the merit of slavery and oppression.
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 00:40   #23
hairypalms

hairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the rough

who said anything about enslaving people? i was thinking along the lines of small defenceless creatures O_O
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 03:27   #24
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Look, I was just trying to emphasise how utterly bollocks the Agents/Security Guards were.

They're the worst addition to Planetarion in recent times and should be taken out. They make the most complicated part of the game even more complicated. It's not a good addition, the majority of the community HATES it, and if PATeam/Omac cared anything about what we, the consumer, wanted, they'd get rid of it.
Getting off topic, but nonetheless quoted for truth and agreement.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote