User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 26 May 2008, 06:59   #1
Stuhlman

Stuhlman will become famous soon enoughStuhlman will become famous soon enough
A small change on Fleet Control

I have read the Prelaunch thred my friend M0 posted, and some of the replies.
I was on the same tracks but thought of something different:

what if: ( read the whole thing before you go wtf )

Third Fleet is disabled, gets active only when you join an alliance. Any ships you put into that fleet become automatically under control of the alliance DC to launch as he see fit. The player reserves defensive ships in that fleet slot for his ally, it gets launched by ally assigned 5 ingame DCs. Alliances can give their players points for leaving ships in that slot based on the amount of ships, type, etc...

This will counter the bad effects of prelaunched attacks that dominated the rounds, and made a DC job pretty annoying. That will help players from different time zones to be of more help to their alliance. This will also help players with less internet access during the day be of more value and feel good they are helping out although they are around much less. Simply some people would pay to play 4 or 5 hours a day and be of some use, as they can simply play a defensive strategy. I know landing will be harder, but how many players game got ruined because they simply can't defend their ally on prime time hours? in the current format if a player for example is unable to login within those 5 hours when defense is needed then he is considered inactive and can not play a good game at all for the entire round.

Your say?
Stuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2008, 07:22   #2
eksero
What-A-Shot Champion

eksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud of
Re: A small change on Fleet Control

If you need people to play certain aspects of the game for you then maybe you shouldn't play?
eksero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2008, 08:01   #3
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

A quite horrible thread.
Unread 26 May 2008, 08:05   #4
Hude
self-entitledly superior

Hude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant future

Holy crap.
Hude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2008, 09:00   #5
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

I see quite a lot of problems, I am afraid.
1. This would be use of your account by a third which is prohibited.
2. Next will be a fleet to be used by a BC?
3. it is just a quite bad idea
4. many more reasons.
In summary, I think you should come up with ideas the other way around instead of these kind of ideas.

Cheers.
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2008, 09:41   #6
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I d like to have some sort of builtinn babysitting of accounts, like other similar ( ish ) games.
Not sure if this is the way to do it though

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2008, 10:30   #7
NitbiT

NitbiT is an unknown quantity at this point

mmmm don't think that's the way to solve a problem....

It also raises some new problems:
- how to know what ships to put in the fleet, since every attack needs it's own specific def-ships and it affects ur eta
- ppl no longer have a free slot to run their ships, do you want to risk a member looses his (whole) fleet cause you used his ships to defend an ally-member?

And, what other ppl already mentioned before, ppl should play themselves imo.

Maybe another way of thinking, on a different scale, might be a sort of "galaxy defense fleet". All galmembers put in some ships they want to spare in this fleet, when there are incs these ships defend the galaxy. But the more I think of that, the more problems (form an atk point of view) arise; such a fleet can quickly arise with all features (emp, cloak, steal) so how to use it (for planets with no defense? or as a first line of defense an atk have to encounter? Or in a (new way of attack like) "galaxy attack")
I just wrote this down since maybe others can work it further out
NitbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2008, 11:15   #8
Kael
The Evil Hamster

Kael will become famous soon enoughKael will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitbiT
Maybe another way of thinking, on a different scale, might be a sort of "galaxy defense fleet". All galmembers put in some ships they want to spare in this fleet, when there are incs these ships defend the galaxy. But the more I think of that, the more problems (form an atk point of view) arise; such a fleet can quickly arise with all features (emp, cloak, steal) so how to use it (for planets with no defense? or as a first line of defense an atk have to encounter? Or in a (new way of attack like) "galaxy attack")
I just wrote this down since maybe others can work it further out
The idea of an galaxy defence fleet was tried in r2 or r3 i think it was. Pretty pointless feature imo. Just a waste of fleet when you got waved into the ground as you couldn't run those ships.

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain" - It's time to toss the dice.

#Spacehamsters
Kael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2008, 13:50   #9
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

rather make some alliance units that each alliance can build from the taxes.

they can be fast (used as last option), but not too efective (u can't win rounds just by colecting taxes...) there could be limits in this fleet(s) size. Make it max 3 alliance fleets. Weather you use them for def or att (fleet catches), I dont mind. and give access to this fleet for set bc/dc (which you cant change without time limit.)
Unread 26 May 2008, 13:55   #10
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

its a good thread because its a discussable issue. i dont agree in anyone else controlling your fleets but yourself as you need to take care of your own planet.

what about researching a 4th fleet in techtree which can be used for alliance defence? this should be very expensive in my opinion.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2008, 22:36   #11
csillag

csillag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI
its a good thread because its a discussable issue. i dont agree in anyone else controlling your fleets but yourself as you need to take care of your own planet.

what about researching a 4th fleet in techtree which can be used for alliance defence? this should be very expensive in my opinion.
researches dont cost anything atm...and big peeps could 3 fleet attack/1 fleet defend which sounds horrible.

- retired -
csillag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2008, 23:58   #12
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by csillag
researches dont cost anything atm...and big peeps could 3 fleet attack/1 fleet defend which sounds horrible.

duh! irrelevant! there is a bashlimit and its equal for everyone.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2008, 06:19   #13
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Basicly u might want to leave a fleet for galaxy defence aswell or secondary alliance def fleet. It is pretty much the rules each alliance sets for their members. If you want to focus on offensive play, u may skip the defence fleets.

But as I allready said, we can leave everyones accounts to be played by themselfs, but give ingame alliance some tools for defence/aid (read above.) This way you give something for the alliance and pay your taxes and you might get something in return. As better protection.
Unread 27 May 2008, 14:28   #14
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

i don't like the idea of somoene else messing with my ships, tho im bc myself i wouldn't like to see a bc mess up my fleet.

If life hands you lemons, drink more tequila

After the game is over the king and the pawn end up in the same box

HA - asc -rdm-asc-VR- #ODDR - APP
Finally retired
HeimdallR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2008, 18:38   #15
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksero
If you need people to play certain aspects of the game for you then maybe you shouldn't play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 08:05   #16
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Lol f-crew would crash and burn in about 1 week if we let the DC's control peoples fleets. i can't even stop my own from crashing.

But with regards to the top post i can see it being abused a LOT. You may as well give the allie your password and let them use your account as they see fit.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 08:13   #17
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Sorry about double post but forum keeps logging me out whe i try to edit...

Since this is a discussion thread i'll say this. It might be better if you introduce a fourth fleet with again the possibility of a new ship for every class. This would be available to paying accounts who join alliances. It could possibly promote alliance joining and allie def. The ship could be much like the bomber in the last round which did so well both ingal and in allie as a defenseive ship.

Massive pro's and cons, but a better alternative i think

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
Unread 29 May 2008, 10:46   #18
Fatrick
Farmer Smurf

Fatrick can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy
Since this is a discussion thread i'll say this. It might be better if you introduce a fourth fleet with again the possibility of a new ship for every class. This would be available to paying accounts who join alliances. It could possibly promote alliance joining and allie def. The ship could be much like the bomber in the last round which did so well both ingal and in allie as a defenseive ship.
Are you saying that paid accounts that join an ally get a forth fleet and several new ships which unpaid accounts dont have? This sounds a bit unfair to the unpaid population. Id rather see this as a VERY VERY long research option, one that maybe takes about 4-5 days? Then at least unpaid accounts could still (in theory) get this perk if the werent worried about using only fi/co class ships or mining 300 roids all round

I have no rival; No man can be my equal
Fatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 10:51   #19
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrick
Are you saying that paid accounts that join an ally get a forth fleet and several new ships which unpaid accounts dont have? This sounds a bit unfair to the unpaid population. Id rather see this as a VERY VERY long research option, one that maybe takes about 4-5 days? Then at least unpaid accounts could still (in theory) get this perk if the werent worried about using only fi/co class ships or mining 300 roids all round
No i meant 1 ship for every race, and yes it is unfair for unpaid accounts, but if you give them everything then whats the point in paying?

Unread 29 May 2008, 10:57   #20
Fatrick
Farmer Smurf

Fatrick can only hope to improve

Ah ok, thats less evil then If it were what i thought and paid accounts getting 4 or 5 new ships then it would have been too much of an overpowering session. I still think it should be a research option tho.

I have no rival; No man can be my equal
Fatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 11:14   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hude
Holy crap.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2008, 18:16   #22
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

Two things

1) Drastically reduce the Infastructure and HCT research branches (coz lets face it, theyre pretty gay)

Infastructure
Basic (start with) 10 structures limit
Lvl 1) 25 structures limit
Lvl 2) 75 structures limit
Lvl 3) 150 structures limit

HCT

Basic - (start with) Mine up to 300
Lvl 1 - Mine upto 500
Lvl 2 - Mine upto 1000
Lvl 3 - Mine upto 2000
Lvl 4 - Mine upto 5000
Lvl 5 - Mine upto 10000

2) Introduce new research branch

Advanced Fleet Dynamics
Basic - 3 fleet slots
Lvl 1 - 4 fleet slots
Lvl 2 - 5 fleet slots
Lvl 3 - 6 fleet slots
Lvl 4 - 7 fleet slots

AFD would be only available for research once Travel research is maxed out and u have built i dunno soime super mad construction like a Deep Space Trasceiver or something equally nerdy

ooo

edit -

to build the super mad DST thingy above u shoudl have prequisite building ie 10 sec centres, 10 research labs and a partridge in a pear tree)

DST's would be VERY expensive, so it makes sense a government would ensure a lot of sec centres are present b4 they are built. The cost of the DST then could also vary dependant on your goverment choice etc

The building requisite would then balance out against Cath;s research bonus ofc, so caths cant run away with mega bonus fleets b4 other races.

Last edited by DarkHeart; 29 May 2008 at 18:24.
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2008, 08:28   #23
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe this idea could be incorporated in a more extended tech tree, where the players chooses (and has to stick to) their prefered advantage. Perhaps imunity from cov ops could be another one - where the power of cov ops are more destructive. Then there could be a further resource bonus, and another production bonus etc. Whether someone has the time to modify the tech tree and to modify nearly every apect of the game is another question though.
Unread 30 May 2008, 09:15   #24
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

the list of changes gets smaller every round

Unread 30 May 2008, 09:59   #25
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Are we really discussing 7 fleet slots or having other people controlling (part of) your account ?
Unread 30 May 2008, 10:16   #26
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

'fraid so.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2008, 10:37   #27
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
Are we really discussing 7 fleet slots or having other people controlling (part of) your account ?
not really, that got quickly binned and alternatives have been suggested

Unread 1 Jun 2008, 08:52   #28
Stuhlman

Stuhlman will become famous soon enoughStuhlman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeart

2) Introduce new research branch

Advanced Fleet Dynamics
Basic - 3 fleet slots
Lvl 1 - 4 fleet slots
Lvl 2 - 5 fleet slots
Lvl 3 - 6 fleet slots
Lvl 4 - 7 fleet slots
Very interesting, but a big Xan would then be able to send 7 fake defenses
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 08:59   #29
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Even a small Xan could - if you got unlucky and copped the majority of the fleet, you'd still be just as screwed.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 12:33   #30
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuhlman
Very interesting, but a big Xan would then be able to send 7 fake defenses

would finally make xan a interesting choice

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote