User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 May 2003, 17:40   #1
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
Question [MS Access] I need help plz

Ok in MS Access 2000 i was wondering if anyone knew how i could get a table to fill in information automatically just by typing (for example) someones name into 1 field and the rest of the fields to be filled in automatically. I would like the infomation for the automatic fields to be taken from other tables within my database.

If this seems unclear let me know and i will try to make it easier to understand

kind regards

Madina
Unread 5 May 2003, 17:44   #2
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Its quite easy to get info from a table based on entering info from that table (similar to using a drop-down), and it wouldn't be hard to make an append query that takes the info from the form (or whatever) and puts it in a table.
Not having used access for aaaaages, I forget precise details- but i'm pretty sure it can be easily done.
Unread 5 May 2003, 20:49   #3
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
You could use a sub-form with a relationship to a field in a table, e.g. have a blank text field where the user would input the name, then have a sub-form that would be linked to the fields you wanted taken from that name, so that you'd enter the name into the first box and Access would look it up automatically.

Alternative is to have combo boxes for the other fields, then have their record(or control, not 100% sure which off-hand) sources as an SQL query looking up the right information based upon the value of that original name box.

That clear at all? Just what I remember off-hand of Access 2k
Unread 5 May 2003, 21:10   #4
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
THinking about it more, I'm positive you can do what he/she (sounds a female nickname but that can lie... ) wants, using the control-source of the other fields as a query/SQL based on the "input" bit. If you create a drop-down, and use the wizard doo-daa to make it, you could look at the control-source, and modify it for use with a text-field.
Then you can either have a button to click which runs the append query, or you could probably put it as the "on lost focus" event- though this may cause problems if you selected and de-selected without typing anything- or if there were no matches.
Unread 6 May 2003, 10:26   #5
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
1st thing thanks for replying. I found the best method to my solution was using Supernova9 first idea
Quote:
You could use a sub-form with a relationship to a field in a table, e.g. have a blank text field where the user would input the name, then have a sub-form that would be linked to the fields you wanted taken from that name, so that you'd enter the name into the first box and Access would look it up automatically.
made life alot easier - many thanks

but i now have another problem *sigh* in this database i have a list of Subjects and a list of Grade boundries (i think i spelt that wrong) each are different per Subject (for example Maths Mark = 80 is a Grade A, English Mark = 80 is a Grade C etc.) and i was wondering if i could somehow after i have selected a subject (using a list thingy in a field) and entered the Mark (e.g. 80 in another field) that i can get it to show(in another field) the correct Grade for that Mark and Subject.

Thanks Again

Madina

P.S. SYMM: im MALE
Unread 6 May 2003, 16:12   #6
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Madina
but i now have another problem *sigh* in this database i have a list of Subjects and a list of Grade boundries (i think i spelt that wrong) each are different per Subject (for example Maths Mark = 80 is a Grade A, English Mark = 80 is a Grade C etc.) and i was wondering if i could somehow after i have selected a subject (using a list thingy in a field) and entered the Mark (e.g. 80 in another field) that i can get it to show(in another field) the correct Grade for that Mark and Subject.
hmmm, you'd need a table for starters containing at least grade, subject and mark for grade boundaries.

Then I'm guessing it'd be a question of a VB module to work out the highest satisfied grade boundary by the mark taking the values from the table. How you'd accomplish that I'm afraid I don't know, VB scripting is something I've never got to grips with.
Unread 6 May 2003, 16:37   #7
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

A Query with a field that uses nested if's is the way i did it way-back-when for my A-Level
e.g.
iif(mark>ALower,"A",iif(mark>BLowe,"B",iif(...etc.
(possibly not correct syntaxt, but looking up "iif" (i think its spelt like that- no idea what the first i is for...) should help