User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:13   #1
Just a poor boy

Derivation of trigonometric functions

f(x) = sqrt(x) * cos2x
f'(x) = making me insane

any ideas? I should know this

Just a poor boy
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:23   #2
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Derivation of trigonometric functions

Quote:
Originally posted by Just a poor boy
f(x) = sqrt(x) * cos2x
f'(x) = making me insane

any ideas? I should know this

Just a poor boy
1) differentiation (unless there's a terminology difference...)

2) (1/2)(X^(-1/2))*cos (2x) + (x^(1/2)) * 2 * -sin(2x)

i think. but it's just the basic rule

h(x) = f(x) * g(x)
h'(x) = f'(x) *g(x) + f(x) * g'(x)
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:25   #3
Just a poor boy

thats what Im doing tho, and Im still just a poor boy =/
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:32   #4
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
will try to explain what acropolic said in words:

treat it as 2 separate bits

bit a is the root x bit

bit b is the trig term

first you differentiate bit a, and multiply it by bit b

then you differentiate bit b and multiply it by bit a

then add it all together

this gives:

0.5X^(-0.5)*cosx as the first part

and

-2X^(0.5)*sinx as the second part

giving as your final answer:

0.5X^(-0.5)*cosx - 2X^(0.5)*sinx

if you're still having problems grab a maths text book and look up 'chain rule' and work through the examples
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:35   #5
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak

if you're still having problems grab a maths text book and look up 'chain rule' and work through the examples
tis not the chain rule tho.

i was gonna put that too, but it aint so i didnt.

its like the 'multiplication rule' or something gay like that.
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:39   #6
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
tis not the chain rule tho.

i was gonna put that too, but it aint so i didnt.

its like the 'multiplication rule' or something gay like that.
hmm

maybe

i'll take your word for it
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:44   #7
Just a poor boy

thing is Im getting the exact same answer as you guys are, yet it doesnt fit on mistar graphical calculator
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:47   #8
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Graphics calculators are a stupid pointless waste of money.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:47   #9
Ragnarak

Quote:
thing is Im getting the exact same answer as you guys are, yet it doesnt fit on mistar graphical calculator
heh

what are you plotting on the calc? the final answer?

just zoom in/out till it works

(or use Maple or MatLab or something to do it on your computer )
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:48   #10
Just a poor boy

and also the only way for me to check if my derivations are A-OK
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:48   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
it doesn't "fit"???

what does that mean?

ps i found the rule to be called "the rule for differentiating a product" which is even gayer than gay.
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:49   #12
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarina_Joy
Graphics calculators are a stupid pointless waste of money.
Never.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:51   #13
Just a poor boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
heh

what are you plotting on the calc? the final answer?

just zoom in/out till it works

(or use Maple or MatLab or something to do it on your computer )
Im plotting f(x) and f'(x)
with the answer we all seem to be getting, f(x)=EXTREME is not at the same x value as f'(x)=0

or so my TI wants me to believe
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:51   #14
Just a poor boy

also I must leave but I shall be back
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:52   #15
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
f(x) = u.v
where u = sqrt(x)
v = cos(2x)

f'(x) = f'(u).v + f'(v).u
f'(x) = [0.5x^(-0.5)][cos(2x)] + [-2sin(2x)][sqrt(x)]

Simple. But I hate maths on a comp. When I do this on the graphic calculator it works fine. The two lines check.
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:54   #16
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Im plotting f(x) and f'(x)
with the answer we all seem to be getting, f(x)=EXTREME is not at the same x value as f'(x)=0

or so my TI wants me to believe
what the hell is he possibly talking about?

(ps the graphikals calcs rock)
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 21:05   #17
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Sounds like the Product rule, from P3 maths if I'm not mistaken,

why you're plotting F(x) against F`(x) I'm not sure though, but if it is the product rule, Bunga is right.
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 21:09   #18
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question

MATHS IS NOT FOR NORMAL PEOPLE.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 21:53   #19
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
MATHS IS NOT FOR NORMAL PEOPLE.
Neither is makeup on males.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote