User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 16 Aug 2008, 03:33   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Premiership Predictions 2008/2009

Count it. Year 7 of the Premiership Predictions thread.

Previous 6 years:

2002/2003

2003/2004

2004/2005

2005/2006

2006/2007

2007/2008

Last Year :

Code:
My Predicted Table      Final Table             Difference

01. Chelsea		Man Utd		        DOWN 1
02. Man Utd		Chelsea			UP 1
03. Liverpool		Arsenal	                DOWN 1
04. Arsenal		Liverpool	        UP 1
05. Tottenham		Everton		        DOWN 6
06. Newcastle		Aston Villa	        DOWN 6
07. Everton		Blackburn	        UP 2
08. Aston Villa		Portsmouth	        UP 2
09. Blackburn		Man City	        UP 2
10. Bolton	        West Ham	        DOWN 6
11. Man City		Tottenham	        UP 2
12. West Ham		Newcastle		UP 2
13. Portsmouth		Middlesborough		UP 5
14. Reading		Wigan		        DOWN 4
15. Middlesborough	Sunderland		UP 2
16. Fulham	        Bolton			DOWN 1
17. Sunderland		Fulham			UP 2
18. Birmingham		Reading                 DOWN 1
19. Wigan		Birmingham		UP 5
20. Derby	        Derby			CORRECT
1 CORRECT - worst exact score ever.

Overall score this year : 52 - better than last year again

(For those who dont remember or can't be bothered reading the previous threads; the Score is your margin of error - add a point for every place you were out for every team, total it up)

2005/2006 score = 62
2006/2007 score = 58
2007/2008 score = 54

Aiming for 50 this year (AGAIN)

So on to this year. I reserve the right to change any prediction up until the first kick off

--------------------------------------

01. Man Utd

Manchester United will win the league because they havent signed anyone, and havent lost anyone. They have too much in every position - Van Der Sar is still great and has Kuzcak/Foster for backup, Brown/Neville at right back, the best center half pairing in the league with Ferdinand/Vidic, Evra as the best left back in the league. The midfield has decent rotation - while nani (inconsistency, temperament), anderson (lack of goals), giggs (age), park (ability - no shortage of workrate though), carrick (urgency, invention) all have problems, pretty much any team in the league would take any of them off Man Utd's hands. And this leaves out Hargreaves, probably the best defensive mid in the league due to his ability to actually start an attack when winning the ball, Scholes, still for my money the cleverest and most valuable player in the entire league on his day, and Ronaldo, whose aim is to chase down 50 goals from midfield this season. Even without rumoured signings, Tevez/Rooney/Saha offer £70m worth of striker between them, even if none of them perfectly compliment the others. This is a team that has no holes that needed filling and no big questions about them.

Main Man – Cristiano Ronaldo

A winger that can score that many goals with his head and win games out of sheer arrogance is worth his weight in sangria.

02. Chelsea

Actually for my money Chelsea were the best team in the league last season and would have won the title were it not for some pretty awful refereeing decisions. I never thoughts id be saying that, but since Avram Grant took over, they outperformed Man Utd. Having said that, i dont think theyll win the league this year. Im not sure what Deco actually brings to the the team, or where he'll play - the 'man behind the two strikers' role simply does not exist in english football. Who knows what sort of season we'll see from Drogba, talismanic like a year and a half of his time in england, or pathetic like his first year and last part of the season? The defence of Cech Cole/Terry/Carvahlo/Boswinga with the likes of Alex and Bridge in reserve is the strongest in the league because of the attacking talents of the full backs, but although Ballack looks like the player he was in Germany, there are lots of maybes and questions all around the squad. How motivated is Lampard? What position ideally should Mikel play? How valuable to Chelsea really are Malouda and Anelka - no one can decide. Chelsea were also hit terribly by the poor season Michael Essien had last year - he needs to bounce back. I think their squad depth is tremendous, but as you can name more certain starters in the Man Utd XI each week, Chelsea will take 2nd.

Main Man – Michael Ballack

Even though hes an abrasive kraut, you cant help but feel sorry for Ballack, after the way he played in the premiership, the champions league, and the European championships, to again walk away with nothing. Showed what a sensational player he is when you put him at the center of a team rather than at the periphery.

03. Arsenal

Arsenal still have Wenger, so therefore any overlooking of their credentials is yet again, foolish. I dont buy into the 'this is ramsey walcott and wilkshire's year' argument, because i dont think arsenal are about stand out players and superstars. They will have their weaknesses, and poor moments, and theyll still be subceptible to teams that play a physical style, none of that is going to change. But theyll still have a system and a manager that believes in his players and theyll still play the best football in the league on occasion. They also have the bottle, unlike their closest competitors. There isnt too much point going man for man through the team because on pure skill, players like denilson and toure and rosicky dont match up to the rooneys and gerrards. The main personel issue is that of Adebayor and whether he can match his goal output of last year - unlikely, looking at his form past Christmas.

Main Man – Cesc Fabregas

Still pulling the strings, and chipped in with a decent number of goals and the most assists in the league last year. Arsenal should enjoy him before he makes the inevitable spaniards return to Barcelona or Real Madrid

04. Liverpool

Liverpool have had a terrible off season. For a club that seems to have no money available, they got what they deserved by holding out for stupidly inflated prices for Crouch, Carson, and Alonso when they were punished by hilariously over inflated prices for Keane (20m - worth 12m) and Barry (18m and deal hasnt gone through and may not - real value 9m tops). I dont mean to get on Benitez's back before the season begins either but he has no interest in playing 2 strikers, so why Keane? It looks like the wrong man for the wrong position to me, and while they continue to play 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 if you man mark the (brilliant but overrated, there, i said it) Torres and Gerrard doesnt have a good game, they are null and void as an attacking force. They STILL cant defend corners (agger couldnt win a ball in the air against an under-12s team) and theres too many players with question marks over them. I would put them lower if they hadnt bought their nearest rivals captain and were negotiating with their other closest competitors captain at the same time. Pathetic and unambitious to be honest, im not even going to bother hoping this year unless something (formation? manager? suprise TOP CLASS signing?) materialises

Main Man – Steven Gerrard

Although liverpool can win without him, its an awful lot easier when hes on. When your midfield contains Mascherano someonee else has to actually pick up the creative slack

05. Aston Villa

I think Villa have actually had a really good off season. At celtic i though O'neill was at best average in the transfer market, but at Villa, rightly holding Liverpool to a kings ransom over Barry (the price he wants is double barrys value, but why should villa sell?) and triggering Cuellar's release clause from his rangers contract, has shown his prowess. While 2m is a lot of money for a keeper Friedel's age, money is becoming less and less relevant to the big clubs and having someone to marshall your defence as well as he does could be invaluable. The development of Young and Agbonlahor after good years last year should be fun to watch, and Sidwell can kick start his career in the middle of the field - with or without Barry. A good side that at this rate i would not be suprised to see genuinely challenging Arsenal and Liverpool, but they need to start well.

Main Man – Ashley Young

Being as the transfer market really went tits up this summer, i shudder to think what someone would pay to tempt him out of Villa. The solid base Villa play with really relies on him to come up with creative and incisive running moves and crosses otherwise their attack can be a bit one dimensional.

06. Tottenham

Im not quite buying that its been as good a summer for tottenham fans as theyd have you believe, although on paper it looks like theyve built up a tremendous squad. Modric, Dos Santos, and Bentley make up three members of a very good looking new midfield, and they cut a lot of dead wood and middling players. Hutton/King/Woodgate/Bale is close to the best defence in the league - for the 5 games the entire back line will be fit at the one time. But upfront, with Keane and Defoe gone and Berbatov unsettled or on his way out, a lot relies on Darren Bent to actually justify his ridiculous price tag of a year ago, and cover is non existent. More may come in, but then again they might not. The thing about spurs is that they have the power and the potential to actually even WIN the league, but they wont, because they wont gel, and big players will dissapoint, and they'll have bad spells, and they cant beat chelsea or arsenal. Yes, Ramos looks like a good manager, but this is still a team that finished in the bottom half last year - not all Jols fault. Perhaps a good shout for the UEFA cup but with so many players in their first season in the league or first with Tottenham, this year screams 'transition'. Next year though, they could be a genuine force if Arsenal/Liverpool dont find their chequebooks.

Main Man – Jonathan Woodgate

You might think it an odd choice, but i think on his day (singular because hes never fit) hes the best defender in england, period.

07. Everton

Oh dear. This is the first time in a long time that Everton start the season looking down rather than looking up. The transfer window is nearly over and theyve bought.... no one. My overall impression of the squad is that its very light. They performed poorly when Arteta didnt play well, and when Cahill was injured. I very much like the type of player they have in midfield - the 4 of osman, cahill, arteta, and fernandes or pienaar with neville behind is a good balance of invention and guts - but ive never been a big yakubu fan, i think hes someone whose goals disguise his weaknesses. Selling Andy Johnson, even for a decent 10m seems premature and unneccesary given there isnt anyone to replace the work he does for his team. Worse players than him have had bad seasons and been given second chances, and he shouldnt have been sent to fulham. Defence is big and strong but doesnt have a lot of depth either which will hurt everton when the fixtures pile up. Moyes remains one of the best managers in the league (#3 for me), and the board should back him.

Main Man – Mikel Arteta

The football he played a few years ago was exceptional, turning everton into the most dangerous set play team in the league.

08. Portsmouth

I expect Portsmouth to consolidate on last year's excellent performance in terms of league position. I also expect them to again steadfastly refuse to play any football under any circumstance. I really dont have a lot to say about them lest i fall asleep. The squad is big, muscular, and in your face and doesnt give an inch.... until the front two. Defoe is a striker with real instinct and class but hes also a lightweight... and crouch... is crouch. On his day he is unplayable for the opposition.. on other days, hes unplayable for his manager because hes just so awful. I dont buy that its a good forward pairing at all and with money scarce at Fratton park i would have rather kept Muntari than buy a 7ft white elephant.

Main Man – David James

Still such an exceptionally classy keeper, expect him to add to his record tally of clean sheets again this year in a defensively minded outfit

09. Man City

Im not convinced by Man City, really. Theyve spent big in the last couple of years, but spent poorly too by the looks of it. Jo might prove me wrong, but as a general rule im not too big on players i havent heard of being bought for 18 million pounds. I do think Ben Haim will do a job for them, he wasnt Chelsea quality, but this is his level. A lot of good players remain from the Sven era - Corluka, Garrido, Elano, Petrov - the latter two who showed exceptional form on occasion, but struggled for long parts of the season. Theres enough really good players at the club to write a glowing report about Man City's prospects, but such is the quality of the premier league that i'd back a consistent team against them any day of the week. Big year for some of their players who may be seeking international caps or a bigger move - Richards, Ireland, and Johnson in particular.

Main Man – Richard Dunne

I thought he was brilliant last year, particularly what he did to Liverpool at Eastlands. City tend to give away a lot of chances and he'll need to be even more consistently good this year to stem the flow.

10. Blackburn

Difficult off season for blackburn who are once again painfully reminded of where they are in the food chain that is the premier league. They couldnt have seen losing the inspirational Friedel coming, a big blow, but i genuinely believe Paul Robinson for 3m is a steal for a keeper whose value seems to have dropped purely on the basis of a pitch bobble and some tabloid inches. Losing Bentley was harsh, even for 15m, and whether Villanueva fills his boots is yet to be seen - youd go with the proven man every time. Still face a battle to hang on to Santa Cruz. Good enough to avoid any danger because of the good work Mark Hughes has done in the past, but less of a frightening side than they used to be. Paul Ince's first year in the premier league as a manager too; you have to suspect inexperience wont help them.

Main Man – Roque Santa Cruz

If he stays, of course. Blackburn need his goals to keep their points tally ticking along. If he goes, they will need a replacement of his quality - easier said than done.

11. Newcastle

Still a nothing side managed by a no hoper whose day has past. Thats sort of a theme with newcastle really - see cacapa, owen, viduka, butt, duff. They arent bad enough to get in any trouble and have some players of genuine quality - Given stands out - but as of yet we've still seen no evidence that theyve learned to defend as a cohesive unit, especially not for 38 games. Again, they are one of those teams that when you look at some of the exciting players - martins, milner etc - you can easily get carried away like i have in the past about their actual ability. With a lack of coaching they could be lower than this, with better coaching they could be higher. Keegan out by Christmas, deluded Bring back robson campaign by geordies by january.

Main Man – Stephen Taylor

I think hes becoming a very good defender at the hardest place to try and defend in the entire premier league. Can look desperate at times, but who wouldnt in a barcode defence?

12. Sunderland

Loathe as i am to put them this high i think theyve spent pretty well - or at least have spent a lot. Like him or hate him, Diouf did a great job at Bolton and since leaving liverpool has turned into a very capable winger. Roy Keane has extended his amazing transfer policy from only irish players to only ex team mates to lots of reserves from the one club, but theres no reason why malbranque (big fish, little pond syndrome) cant do what he did for fulham, and Chimbonda for me is actually an excellent right back too who counts as a decent coup. I cant say they are a side that i rate overly highly, but they have enough about them to fend off some of the crap they have below them.

Main Man – Kenwyne Jones

Out injured for a while, but the most dider drogba like player since didier drogba adds a multidimensional threat to their attack.

13. West Ham

Swiftly becoming the forgotten team, West Ham had the most uneventful season of any team in the league last year. Green Neill/Upson/Ferdinand is four fifths of a good backline, but quality is interspersed only sporadically throughout the rest of the side. The fairest thing you can say is that they put freddie ljunberg out of his misery by retiring him and that Julian Faubert, last years big signing, might actually get to play a game this season before suffering injury. Ashton and Bellamy could yet click as a front pairing. But overall its not an optimistic time to be a hammer i dont think, and with uncertainty over Curbishley, they arent too good to go down. Well, they wouldnt be if the promoted outfits werent so bad.

Main Man – Robert Green

Should be the England keeper when James hangs up his gloves, and isnt in the squad. Might be unassuming, but hes the best shot stopper in the league by far, im a fan.

14. Middlesborough

Routine mid table finish for the premiership's most irrelevant side. To be fair though, southgate deserves credit for some of boro's performances last season when it seemed that for all likelihood they were destined for the championship, especially when believe in him as a manager was not universal. Too many maybes and holes and sort ofs all over the pitch - i think of mido (weight and temperament) alves (weight) in particular. They hold the honour of the premierships ugliest ever center half pairing in Wheater and Huth though (and neither are bad defenders). Could be a few places either way, but not likely to set the world on fire.

Main Man – Stewart Downing

Ive been a critic because he was pushed into the England set up way too soon. But hes gotten taller and stronger and actually become a really assuming player. I was mightily suprised when he signed a new contract with them, and theyll need him as the one source of inspiration in a mediocre outfit.

15. Fulham

From their squad they just about scrape together a decent first team, with the likes of Annti Niemi, Chris Baird, Paul Konchesky, Diomansy Kamara - but scraping is what Fulham do best. I do actually think they play better football than they're often accredited for doing, but you cant avoid the fact they arent a glamorous club. Great for them to keep roy of the rovers himself Jimmy Bullard, a real talisman for them to rally around. Weak defensively but probably have enough to survive yet another year

Main Man – Andy Johnson

Excellent buy and exactly what they need - a player that will work, and work, and work, and presuming last year isnt the end of his career in his mid twenties, will get you a good 10 or 12 goals too, priceless at this strata in the table

16. Bolton

A team full of decent squad players, but no real first teamers that catch the eye, especially since Kevin Nolan's dramatic collapse in form last season. They have decent depth to play at the level they play at, but rely heavily on their very one dimensional football - works on its day, but generally doesnt. Good at dragging teams down to their level and beating them with experience, and this could help them rise a few places, but i think we've seen the end of Bolton in the top half of the table. Chose to splash their 10m on Johan Elmander, red herring transfer of the summer for me.

Main Man – Jussi Jaskelleinen

Because i think hes a quality keeper, and hes going to be busy this year grinding out useful 0-0 draws.

17. Wigan

Their midfield of Cattermole/Kapo/Koumas/Valencia (the latter of whom im very suprised they hung on to) is actually very good, but the forward line is sketchy (Heskey and Camara) and the defence is just totally unacceptable and not up to Premier League standards. In serious trouble, as usual. Best thing you can say about them is Steve Bruce knows exactly what hes doing at this end of the league table and could yet save them.

Main Man – Paul Scharner

I still rate him as a quality player who can play anywhere accross the back line or in central midfield, and if they go down, he'll get a move to a mid table outfit.

18. West Brom

They actually have a pretty decent defence compared to some of the teams around them, Carson Zuiverloon/Robinson/Meiti/Clement is more than capable. But despite all the 'brilliant football' they supposedly played in the Championship last year, West Brazil's midfield and forward line looks suspiciously awful compared to those even in the bottom half of the premier league table. Then again, Mowbray teams are good to watch. I cant decide whether being good to watch is a good strategy or not though.

Main Man – Scott Carson

Keepers get more chance to shine at the bottom of the league than anywhere else. This is carsons chance to show liverpool, villa, and the rest that they should have taken a punt on him.

19. Hull City

While theyve actually put a bit of effort into finding relative bargains at the club, they start from such a low base that you cant even say they have enough quality to field a competent first team, never mind a squad. Its sheer comedy to see Nick Barmby playing in a premiership team in 2008, but the comedy that is ex-Barcelona superstar geovanni pulling on a Hull city shirt for the first time will make the entire season worthwhile for me. Dean Windass too, what i dont pray for a fight involving him this year.

Main Man – George Boateng

Can marshall a Premiership quality midfield, unfortunately he wont have one to work with.

20. Stoke City

Quite simply they dont have enough quality. They have a team filled with players that have already proved they dont have the ability at this level (diao, griffin, faye, sorenson, delap, lawrence, fuller) and the rest havent shown that they have anything to offer the division through their championship performances.

Main Man – Dave Kitson

Because hes their record signing and hes actually played well in this league before unlike any of the rest.

-------------------------------------
01. Man Utd
-----------------------
05. Aston Villa
06. Tottenham
07. Everton
-----------------------
08. Portsmouth
09. Man City
10. Blackburn
11. Newcastle
12. Sunderland
13. West Ham
14. Middlesborough
15. Fulham
16. Bolton
17. Wigan
---------------------------------------

In the end, i dont think a lot is really going to change this year because of the impossibility of doing transfers now the TV money is just ridiculous. I think thats the main reason for the first time ever im predicting the three to come up to be the three to go right back down, the gap between the two leagues has never been wider.

Thankyou for reading, please add your thoughts and predictions!

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in

Last edited by Deffeh; 16 Aug 2008 at 15:20. Reason: even though i put stoke bottom in my walkthrough i didnt do it on the table. fixed
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote