User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 16 Jun 2010, 01:26   #1
vuLgAr
Bi-Winning

vuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to all
Galaxy system atm?

Seeing as PA team didn't do any sort of feedback on it, what are peoples thoughts on the current galaxy setups regarding full BP or Random?

Personally i found it interesting yet somewhat flawed with the way the galaxy's are still ranked, it seems there is going to be a clear cut score differential between private and random, is there actually any better/worse on which to choose from the players perspective?

Yes there was always a lot of talk from people wanting private galaxies but how many of them actually took advantage of it?

Does it suit some alliances better than others, or is it mainly another political decision that needs to be made to be effective?

H-A ODDR Apprime xVx VisioN HEROES Ultores

Last edited by vuLgAr; 16 Jun 2010 at 01:41.
vuLgAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2010, 06:34   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Galaxy system atm?

It sucks.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2010, 22:25   #3
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

It sucks just as bad as it did last round... shocking... Oh well, at least it's still easy to abuse!

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2010, 22:38   #4
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It is problematic at best and really penalizes small alliances the way I see it. The random galaxies become too big and the advantage of putting a private galaxy on the fence is too attractive.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2010, 07:46   #5
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

When was putting things on fence not attractive
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2010, 12:49   #6
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

How is this a suggestion?
Unread 17 Jun 2010, 18:51   #7
vuLgAr
Bi-Winning

vuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
How is this a suggestion?
Not a suggestion as such, but i have heard quite a lot of people saying they aren't too fond of the way it is, and if this thread continues to prove this then surely it's a suggestion in itself?

also i wouldn't want too outright suggest it being shit plz change kkthx if there are people that actually like it or there are positives from having it the way it is which i may have overlooked.

Unread 17 Jun 2010, 22:14   #8
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Surely this is a 'discussion', then? I'm fairly sure we've recently opened up a new area of the forums for this, though I couldn't tell you where they were.

Come up with an idea for a better system (or even a worse one we can flame) and that will be considered a suggestion. Until then, it is merely a complaint.

I suggest the moderators do a bit of moderatoring here!
Unread 17 Jun 2010, 22:44   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I suggest you get your head out of your ass.

Before the round started I said (multiple times) that starting size for random galaxies should be lowered to 10 or even 9. We started at 12 last round and we ended on galaxies with 26 and more planets. We started at 13 this round and are currently at 21 planets per galaxy. Can anyone else predict where this is going? At least I'll get to say "I told you so", that's something.

Regardless, I think this round has proven that the whole private/random galaxy dynamic leads to undesirable results. Galaxies are either too hard to roid or too large to roid effectively, especially for lower tier alliances. I have no faith in PA Team's ability to balance the two so I suggest returning to a uniform system rather than a system with two types of galaxies which have to be balanced against each other.

Fully random might be fun to try for a couple of rounds.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 17 Jun 2010, 22:50   #10
vuLgAr
Bi-Winning

Quote:
Surely this is a 'discussion', then? I'm fairly sure we've recently opened up a new area of the forums for this, though I couldn't tell you where they were.
well if you can't find it what hope have i got?

Quote:
Come up with an idea for a better system (or even a worse one we can flame) and that will be considered a suggestion. Until then, it is merely a complaint.
clearly i wouldn't take the opinions of only the people i play the game with but how am i complaining in trying to get a better perspective on what peoples opinions are on the current setup?

Quote:
I suggest the moderators do a bit of moderatoring here!
pretty sure they can do their jobs without you calling out for them.

Last edited by vuLgAr; 17 Jun 2010 at 22:58.
Unread 17 Jun 2010, 23:47   #11
t3k
The Video Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
There; a suggestion. At last!

I could quote your points and reply to them, vulgar, but nothing you said goes any further to justifying a conversational thread in this area of the forums.

Yes, I agree that the galaxy setup is awful and yes I agree something should be done. But this is supposed to be where ideas are put forward for the betterment of the game (if only in intention). I would love to hear suggestions for a better setup, which PATeam could easily impliment, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

mz, in regards to your 'random round' idea - to the best of my knowledge every so often this is suggested, and then implemented as it's an easy answer to the demand for change. Upon having to endure actually playing a random round, the general consensus that I've borne witness to suggests that they're actually not all that enjoyable to play. You could argue that PA is generally shit, and one type of shit is as good as another, but I still think the 5-man bp system is currently the best system available.
Unread 18 Jun 2010, 00:11   #12
vuLgAr
Bi-Winning

Quote:
Yes, I agree that the galaxy setup is awful and yes I agree something should be done.
hey guess what you just did.... contributed

i agree that pointing out it's in the wrong section is oh so frikin awesome and such but maybe PM a mod if you are that bothered and ask them to move it plz.

but basically what you just suggested is a suggestion is it not?

Unread 18 Jun 2010, 00:17   #13
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

I think the random galaxy sizes are getting ridiculous again, just like last round. I think random galaxys should be capped to 15 people to be honest. If not then fully random would be best.
Unread 18 Jun 2010, 00:34   #14
t3k
The Video Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuLgAr View Post
hey guess what you just did.... contributed
Well, while I'd hate to have to argue with you (but not really), the text you'd quoted was actually not a contribution at all. Echoing the sentiments of others (or just agreeing with them) is not adding anything new to the discussion and therefore cannot be categorized as 'contributing' to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuLgAr View Post
i agree that pointing out it's in the wrong section is oh so frikin awesome and such but maybe PM a mod if you are that bothered and ask them to move it plz.

but basically what you just suggested is a suggestion is it not?
My suggestion was made in an attempt to make this thread somewhat more relevent to the setting in which you have placed it (and the mods have subsequently left it). To imply that what I did justifies your initial misguided posting is akin to saying that a medic saving the life of a stab victim justifies the initial assault.
Unread 18 Jun 2010, 00:54   #15
vuLgAr
Bi-Winning

Quote:
Well, while I'd hate to have to argue with you (but not really), the text you'd quoted was actually not a contribution at all. Echoing the sentiments of others (or just agreeing with them) is not adding anything new to the discussion and therefore cannot be categorized as 'contributing' to anything.
well clearly you are misreading the whole thread, the fact im asking for opinions to further my knowledge of said subject completely baffles you? but as you put it Echoing the sentiments of others (or just agreeing with them) is actually adding to the thread itself, yes not adding anything new but clearly emphasising an already prevalent opinion.

Quote:
My suggestion was made in an attempt to make this thread somewhat more relevent to the setting
thought you wanted it in a different setting? also are you still that bothered about it being in this subsection? plz notify a mod and ask them to move it ffs. and can you plz not bring this up again. bored much?

Quote:
To imply that what I did justifies your initial misguided posting is akin to saying that a medic saving the life of a stab victim justifies the initial assault.
how does this apply to gathering information? and what is misguided about asking a question?

Unread 18 Jun 2010, 01:00   #16
t3k
The Video Guy

Ok, you're an idiot. I clearly cannot communicate with you in a manner that you can understand as I am unwilling to compromise the integrity of my logic to convince you of your errors.

Discussion over.
Unread 18 Jun 2010, 02:02   #17
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

kenny, you're a dick get the **** off my internet.
Unread 18 Jun 2010, 03:08   #18
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

this thread has turned into a reason for not using internet.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2010, 10:40   #19
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Couple of rounds yes. I don't see a reason why you should on the long run struggle for some "equilibrium" solution; you might as well shuffle the deck a little to give different rounds different galaxy structures just to bring a little change into things. Galaxy setup has such an impact to the metagame anyways.
Unread 23 Jun 2010, 19:14   #20
t3k
The Video Guy

Just by the by, over the course of various conversations; I've since been sold on the idea of a fully random round.
Unread 24 Jun 2010, 10:15   #21
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

well imo there is 3 options for next round

1) full random round BUT keep galsize big, aka 15 planets, since there is so much crap planets floating around, if u make like 8 planet random gals the chance ur stuck with just farms is too high

2) reduce size of random gals to 15 at max and keep priv gals like they are
bottom private gals (lets say bottom 10% can open themselves to be random galaxies)

aka ur 8 man gal is failing hard, u can open your gal for exiles, instead of exiling yourself, that way new random gals will form and u can keep the existing random gals small

ofc this can be exploited like everything else, but hey it would be something new

3) keep it like it is, but open cluster wars /incluster attack and defence eta -1/
this will solve the issue aswell

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2010, 10:24   #22
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
3) keep it like it is, but open cluster wars /incluster attack and defence eta -1/
Why not a full random round with the mentioned advantage for cluster fleets? Cluster play would emphasize galaxy and cluster anyways. I can see why landing up in a garbage galaxy would suck major balls but hey.
Unread 24 Jun 2010, 14:05   #23
LordNieminen
Finn.. who's drunk.

LordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of light

8 player galaxy size is just fine, make it much bigger and galaxies are impossible to take down.
r9.5: Top60(small playerbase=easy)
Few won R's in PIA, r26 top15 First/Last Pax round.
[OLMIT] / [TreKronor]
10 lines max for signature I heard.. so
LordNieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2010, 16:20   #24
zebra
h3ll's angels

zebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'd love to see gameplay focus on galaxies and cluster alliances instead of universe wide tags; remove the tag ETA bonus and current allies would become attack based (maybe), score accumulating tags/communities. While I agree that only one random round wouldn't be enough for the player base to change, I don't think there's enough activity and effort left to make it work.
[18:04] * h3ll has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2010, 17:29   #25
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
I'd love to see gameplay focus on galaxies and cluster alliances instead of universe wide tags; remove the tag ETA bonus and current allies would become attack based (maybe), score accumulating tags/communities. While I agree that only one random round wouldn't be enough for the player base to change, I don't think there's enough activity and effort left to make it work.
While I don't disagree with the direction you're going here, I think alliances do more good than bad. Making them obsolete by removing their capability to defend is probably not a good idea.

I do think there should be a greater degree of geography in Planetarion, though. In order to make that happen, alliances don't need to be removed, it's just that the planets in them should be spawned close together.
Unread 24 Jun 2010, 17:34   #26
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

i would support full random galaxies (max 15 planets) and bringing back cluster attacks.
Unread 24 Jun 2010, 19:21   #27
LordNieminen
Finn.. who's drunk.

LordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of light

I'll just say one bad point of geographical universe, aka cluster setup.

It's LUCK BASED. Land in wrong cluster, and prepare to get f00bared to hell, seriously eta6 fi/co.. Good luck, hopefully I don't need to say more or does someone actually want to see punch hyper agressive people like me in their cluster with their own posse who just aims at roids.. even if u'r supposedly fenced, your dead if you land in my cluster and are hostile. That ofc works vs me aswell if you outnumber me in cluster.. but that's luck based nothing to do with skill or politics.

We always remember the victories like s7ven I think it was, but we forget the doomed and forgotten clusters where our block allies galaxies where doomed at the end of protection in a 3-4month round. That ain't cool especially when PA is this small and can't afford to loose many players because they don't want to play 1,5months being the day farms for their clusters big galaxies.
r9.5: Top60(small playerbase=easy)
Few won R's in PIA, r26 top15 First/Last Pax round.
[OLMIT] / [TreKronor]
10 lines max for signature I heard.. so
LordNieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2010, 22:52   #28
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNieminen View Post
Land in wrong cluster, and prepare to get f00bared to hell, seriously eta6 fi/co..
Agreed. Imagine finding yourself in an inactive random galaxy with little to no chance of receiving ally defence. The worst of both worlds.

For the record, I like the idea of a fully random round (or even two) as long as we take steps to prevent the creation of "private" galaxies by self-exiling.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2010, 23:33   #29
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If we brought back full random gals I don't think I'd implement no ally def and/or clusters at the same time. I wouldn't bother trying to prevent "private" gals. It'd be a lot of effort to go through and to be honest with 8 man galaxies they're just not that strong anyways.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 08:43   #30
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Come to think of it, PA was initially never intended to be played with alliances as we know them. I mean, if I remember correctly, the first round had no such thing as alliance tags or alliance rankings or any of that.

But it are the players that decided that they'd play with large alliances for obvious reasons.

I wonder how this game would have looked like if this would be purely galxies vs galaxies or clusters vs clusters. E.g. several galaxies teaming up to take down another galaxy or a cluster ... without an alliance backing this up.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 09:40   #31
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran View Post
Come to think of it, PA was initially never intended to be played with alliances as we know them. I mean, if I remember correctly, the first round had no such thing as alliance tags or alliance rankings or any of that.
Most of oldschool PA didn't have any alliance rankings or in-game tags.

However, all this shows is that when you create a game which is free enough, the community will take that concept and add to it themselves. This is, without a doubt, the best aspect of the game and the community which has developed around it. No developer could have foreseen the complexity of organization which would arise from such a humble game. Alliances, politics, organized military campaigns, spies, technological attacks...through a lack of restrictions on the creativity of the players, this game became more a reflection of the people who played it that then people who created it.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 09:56   #32
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
Most of oldschool PA didn't have any alliance rankings or in-game tags.

However, all this shows is that when you create a game which is free enough, the community will take that concept and add to it themselves. This is, without a doubt, the best aspect of the game and the community which has developed around it. No developer could have foreseen the complexity of organization which would arise from such a humble game. Alliances, politics, organized military campaigns, spies, technological attacks...through a lack of restrictions on the creativity of the players, this game became more a reflection of the people who played it that then people who created it.
If given the liberty like we had in the first few rounds of PA, people tend to group up and organise. So in a way, alliances and blocks and NAP's are the natural step to victory.

Luckily, PA back then didn't have ingame tags, alliance size limits, ingame NAP's and such. Because that would have forced the players in some kind of direction.

Nowadays it makes more sence if you have a playerbase of what ... 1k or 2k players? Initially, PA had over 20k players ...

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 09:59   #33
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran View Post
If given the liberty like we had in the first few rounds of PA, people tend to group up and organise. So in a way, alliances and blocks and NAP's are the natural step to victory.

Luckily, PA back then didn't have ingame tags, alliance size limits, ingame NAP's and such. Because that would have forced the players in some kind of direction.

Nowadays it makes more sence if you have a playerbase of what ... 1k or 2k players? Initially, PA had over 20k players ...
Yes, around 200k planets probably translated to over 20k players, even in the most pessimistic view ;P

Anyway, it doesn't make any more sense now than it did then, RE: pre-round thread about alliance size limits.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 15:03   #34
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
2) reduce size of random gals to 15 at max and keep priv gals like they are
bottom private gals (lets say bottom 10% can open themselves to be random galaxies)

aka ur 8 man gal is failing hard, u can open your gal for exiles, instead of exiling yourself, that way new random gals will form and u can keep the existing random gals small

ofc this can be exploited like everything else, but hey it would be something new
what about this suggestion of mine ?
maybe the galfund hiding ressources thingy needs to be looked at to prevent certain individuals from staying at 0 roids and hiding all their ressies in fund

opinions ?

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 17:09   #35
Mzyxptlk
mz.

No need for it, stockpiling resources would be self-defeating if only people had some balls.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 17:53   #36
Buly

Buly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the rough

Not a bad idea at all m0.

Another one that popped into my head is to limit the amount of alliancetags in private gals to 3 or 4 to make fencedgals harder to do. Nothing wrong with a few alliances, but those with 5-6 are pretty ghey imo.
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 00:00   #37
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Yeah, non of that solves the fencing atm.

Priv gals used to be nice, but with the current politics and gameplay, it's just way too beneficial to fence and avoid wars, so they just don't work.
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 00:07   #38
adjuhh

adjuhh is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of full random gals! And if you need some sort of exiling, what about a system where u can add urself to the 'exile list' or ministers/gc can put an inactive planet on it, and every 24/48 ticks those planets get randomly rearranged over the galaxies. That way you have a way out when ur galaxy sucks but you cannot really aim for a certain gal to get in.
adjuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 02:58   #39
Buly

Buly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yeah, non of that solves the fencing atm.

Priv gals used to be nice, but with the current politics and gameplay, it's just way too beneficial to fence and avoid wars, so they just don't work.
Making PA more ghey than ever!

I think it's more about the overall community mentality though!
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 04:07   #40
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
I think it's more about the overall community mentality though!
Meh, the mentality is simply to strive to be as efficient as possible with your resources. Effectively, to do as well as possible. This is hardly a bad thing; the problem is that currently the game in itself promotes a style of play where taking any losses or risk what so ever is discouraged, creating an incentive for a specific style of play.

i.e. fencing the **** out of a round and selling your alliance down the drain for the benefit of your planet and gal (HI AGAR3S!)
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 04:53   #41
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

need to take the focus of galaxies the way they are out of the game imo. allianced based galaxies are the way to go for that.

Last edited by Zaejii; 26 Jun 2010 at 05:01.
Zaejii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 06:52   #42
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii View Post
need to take the focus of galaxies the way they are out of the game imo. allianced based galaxies are the way to go for that.
And let's put this into context. You suggest this, because by doing so no other alliance could touch Asc. Again, this decision would diminish the alternative ways of playing this game, so that only one model would remain, yours.
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 07:59   #43
Zaejii
This Space for Rent

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

Quote:
And let's put this into context. You suggest this, because by doing so no other alliance could touch Asc. Again, this decision would diminish the alternative ways of playing this game, so that only one model would remain, yours.
it has nothing to do with Asc, it has to do with people complaining about fences and politics. you can't seriously tell me that 100% random galaxies will solve this issue.
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 10:06   #44
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii View Post
it has nothing to do with Asc, it has to do with people complaining about fences and politics. you can't seriously tell me that 100% random galaxies will solve this issue.
You probably can seriously tell me you believe forcing everyone to go fort gals would solve the issue.

Unfortunately, the side effects will be worse than the benefits.

Random galaxies however would reduce the fencing enough to make for a bit less shit politics. And if someone is concerned about the abuse of exiling to create "semi-private" gals, simply set a given time each day when all exiles queued up during that day get put into new gals at once. I suppose you could still schedule a specific day for exiling, but this greatly reduces the chances that you'll be able to pick where to exile into.
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 11:08   #45
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjuhh View Post
I like the idea of full random gals! And if you need some sort of exiling, what about a system where u can add urself to the 'exile list' or ministers/gc can put an inactive planet on it, and every 24/48 ticks those planets get randomly rearranged over the galaxies. That way you have a way out when ur galaxy sucks but you cannot really aim for a certain gal to get in.

i like that

Unread 26 Jun 2010, 16:38   #46
Zaejii
This Space for Rent

Quote:
You probably can seriously tell me you believe forcing everyone to go fort gals would solve the issue.
because clearly ascendancy are the only ones that can pull off "forts". seriously loling irl if you're gonna use the "no forts" argument against any solution that prevents the "fencing" you've complained about.

this also depends on the structure. you can set up a CT cluster for example. lets use C5. within C5 because they have 72 members, they have 9 galaxies of 8 members each. from there you can:
- either ban in gal defending and only allow in cluster defense (at -1 or -2 eta)
- only allow in gal defending (even though the whole cluster is one alliance)
- only allow a single alliance to hit more than one galaxy simultaneously by first declaring war on CT (Apprime targeting CT for instance).
- insert more craziness here

the point is, there are not multiple alliances within a galaxy thus leading to "fencing" and shit stagnant politics that keep being complained about every single round.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the side effects will be worse than the benefits.
can i borrow your crystal ball? i have some lottery numbers i'd like to inquire about.

Quote:
Random galaxies however would reduce the fencing enough to make for a bit less shit politics.
what about the select few "random galaxies" that end up with 1 member of each alliance, or 1 member of the top 3? its "random" remember? need i remind people how some always seemed to cycle their shit random exiles in the old bp system just to get worse planets while others never had to exile once? quite possibly the outcome would be even more shit politics.

Quote:
And if someone is concerned about the abuse of exiling to create "semi-private" gals, simply set a given time each day when all exiles queued up during that day get put into new gals at once. I suppose you could still schedule a specific day for exiling, but this greatly reduces the chances that you'll be able to pick where to exile into.
completely random also implies that exiling will be disabled (hence the whole random thing). otherwise you'll get people like yourself whining how some people managed to exile and create forts while you were stuck in a shitty random galaxy.
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 16:39   #47
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Damn, adjuhh suggested the same as me already! I commend you on having a good idea adjuhh!

Also FU for making me think I might have to read these threads properly again before posting.
Unread 27 Jun 2010, 00:52   #48
adjuhh

adjuhh is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont really like the idea of fort gals for all alliances because it will mostly hurt people in smaller tags / less active alliances,since you lose a very important defpool, your galmates from other alliances. And ofcourse in a random round some people will end up in a nicely fenced gal, but thats just plain luck and it won't happen so well organised. And if you end up in a gal that you don't like so much you can just get your ass randomly rearranged. This also means you don't have to be on at certain times when the better gals/allies are more likely to exile, which makes both exiling and selfexiling easier and with better chances for picking up a good new gal/member. This means tho that there is a smaller chance that it will be someone from ur friends/ally getting placed in ur gal but thats exactly the idea behind random.
adjuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2010, 12:55   #49
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quoting myself for the Nth time: Remove galaxies. Search this forum if you want to know more about why, constantly repeating myself bothers me too much.
Unread 27 Jun 2010, 18:01   #50
Zaejii
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
Quoting myself for the Nth time: Remove galaxies. Search this forum if you want to know more about why, constantly repeating myself bothers me too much.
i think we've all said that and gotten nowhere. thats why i'm trying to think up ways to keep the current structure, but make it irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.