User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Jan 2010, 15:42   #1
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Bring back the Tech Tree

This is an expansion off an earlier thread of mine, and caj's response and appoco's mild interest.

Basically you introduce a bunch of additional researches and tack them onto the end of the current research paths. Each of these additional research paths would disable all the others, or maybe you could do two of them or something I don't really mind. Research time would escalate as "normal".

Onto the end of the cov-ops tree: Overburn defence, Overburn attack, Stealth Attack (as explained in the above thread)

Onto the end of the core mining tree: 5% bonus on income, 10% bonus on income

Onto the end of the scans tree: Be able to build one ship belonging to other races, become able to build two ships belonging to other races.

Onto the end of the space travel tree: Two tick defences, two tick attacks.

Onto the end of the infrastructure tree: Enable new types of structures to be built (I haven't really thought this one through but salvage centres, improved types of basic structures (factories which prod twice as fast, fcs which give twice as big a bonus etc). You could have 1 or 2 or 3 of these researches each giving better bonuses

Onto the end of the hulls tree: 5% cheaper ships, 10% cheaper ships.

I didn't bother putting anything in for adding onto the end of the hct tree for obvious reasons. Maybe deathstars though!?!?!?!?!?!

I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinions on the viability of these, particularly pateam's heh. I've tried to make them as simple as possible in order to make coding viable. Nothing would happen that's particularly "new". I guess the two tick thing would require some new coding though. Suggestions on something to replace that would be welcome!

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 20 Jan 2010 at 16:01.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 15:46   #2
DunkelGraf
Drunken Boozer

DunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to behold
Re: Bring back the Tech Tree

Do you want to keep the lenght of a round to force ppl into choosing different ways? Or having a longer round so we can almost research all of it.
I think having to choose is a great way to suit diffenernt styles of playing.

! [ToT]-KC !

Äscendäncy, we got Penis inside!
DunkelGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 15:51   #3
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

YES. Give us something new to play around with. Single-targetting made this game a lot more interesting simply because it is something NEW. Anything to mix things up and force us to adapt, instead of doing the same boring shit we have been doing for 20 rounds already (or 8 for some of us). I don't even care if it's imbalanced, as long as it isn't very obvious.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 15:53   #4
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

I like the idea, and definitely want research choices back in some form. Im glad u put what i see as the most dangerous of them at the end of the probably least used cov-ops category.

This presumably would have to have a consequence on races/governments as faster research becomes more important once more (at least regaining what it lost with the new startup). I would limit it to one category as u said, or cat demo gets rather fearsome
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 17:53   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd rather see this expanded to a proper choice tree, as opposed to some choices tacked on the end of what is essentially a line, not a tree. I doubt it'd be much more work to implement.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 17:59   #6
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

YES. Having choices is GOOD. One thing I would be cautious about though is that some of the tech-tree paths(f.ex hulls) is a lot shorter than the others, maybe this needs to be remedied in some way?
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 18:06   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I'd rather see this expanded to a proper choice tree, as opposed to some choices tacked on the end of what is essentially a line, not a tree. I doubt it'd be much more work to implement.
If it isn't then cool, go with a whole new tree. If not then this is certainly an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx
YES. Having choices is GOOD. One thing I would be cautious about though is that some of the tech-tree paths(f.ex hulls) is a lot shorter than the others, maybe this needs to be remedied in some way?
Sure, just make the research time for the options on the shorter lines longer so that most of them kick in at around about the same time.
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 19:17   #8
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Surely just balance out the tree additions with each other, as opposed to extending the research times to balance them.
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 21:57   #9
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

right THESTOOM approves!
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 00:10   #10
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to see a proper tech tree implemented, im just cautious on how to do it and balance it between the 5 races.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 00:13   #11
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Research

Hulls
5% Armor per level

Also a level activates a shiip class

FI = LVL 1 .. BS = LVL 6

Fire Control
5% damage Increase per level (i.e guns increased).

Structures

Research Labs - 5% increase in Research Points (RP) per Structure.
Power Reactor - 1000 Power (each structure uses 100 power, but perhaps some take more than others)
Construction Yard - 5% increase in Construction Points (CU) per Structure.
Shipyard - 5% Decrease in production times per Structure (Only 1 ship yard, Light/Medium/Heavy are removed).
Security Center - 5% increase in alert status per structure (so everyone could start on 0 alert).
Covert Ops Center - 5% increase in stealth recovery per structure (this is based on the current figure).
Ore Refinery - 1000 credits per tick (M/C/E removed for single credits).

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 02:48   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Research

Hulls
5% Armor per level

Also a level activates a shiip class

FI = LVL 1 .. BS = LVL 6

Fire Control
5% damage Increase per level (i.e guns increased).
I actually thought about exactly the same thing but I reckoned adding in things that are small % increases to armour/damage wouldn't be possible. I have now, while writing this reply, realised how utterly retarded that was of me. I'd imagine it's still slightly more awkward though.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 21 Jan 2010 at 02:53.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 08:37   #13
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

i've been contemplating wasting time coming out with a vertical (or horizontal - really depends on layout) for a tech tree similar to other game's talent systems.

general idea would have researchers making "credits" that could work alongside the current system where each race has a different base/tick amount and each "credit" is worth say 1600 research points.

expanding the current eta tree would then result in:
jumpgate - 1 credit (1600 points total)
warpgate - 2 credits (3200 points - requires jumpgate)
stargate - 3 credits (4800 points - requires warpgate)
hypergate - 4 credits (6400 points - requires stargate)

and so on and so forth. could even make credits take less points and have skills like covert ops and scans cost less. could even split them into different groups and say you can only spend a max of Z points in each tree so that everyone can't be good at everything - or implement branch choices and combo requirements.