User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Jun 2008, 22:31   #1
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road
Alliance Wonders

(1) We could come up with 10 wonders. Each wonder would cost different amounts of investment (but always, at a minimum, A LOT) and each bestowing some sort of radical benefit upon all the members of the alliance. (the more radical, the more costly (resource & time wise).

(a) For example:

[1] The Telescope = makes scans cost 1/2 to all alliance members + 1M score
[2] Central Intelligence Agency = makes cov. op cost 1/2 to all alliance members + 2M score
[…]
[5] The Piramids = gives every member 25 mines of each resource + 5M score
[6] The University = All tech revealed to all members
[…]
[9] The UU = doubles the population + 9M score
[10] The Ark of the Covenant = minus 1 initiative to all alliance ships (this is the most radical, as Mzy observed belowe, it is perhaps never a good idea to mess with the bcalc, but cmm, the legendaries (unpredictable) overpowering armies) + 10M score

(b) How much do they cost? As Soap proposed below, this can be done by assigning a number of stages for each Wonder. Each stage costs a fixed amount of ticks and resources. Thus, for example, each stage may take (% of the population devoted X 24 ticks) + 1M of each resource (pro-rata). The cheapest wonder may cost 3 stages, the 2nd one 4, the 3rd one 5, etc, etc (the cost grows disproportionately, TAKING into account alliance size [to even out the field] We do need a cap, we don't want solo alliances building all 10 wonders.) WE NEED A (SIMPLE) FORMULA, I doubt mine works in light of the problem observed.

(2) How to build them?

(a) First, alliance HC, makes the decision to build any one (in a planet or in the abstract? See #9). And at any time they may switch (with a penalty) for whatever reason. (intelligence, change of circumstance, etc).
(b) Members contribute to the construction. It would take X ticks at a Y investment of resources per tick. (think tax system). The amount of resources to be shared pro-rata among alliance members.
(c) We should involve the population, so it could be an extra bar, or be linked to construction somehow, so, the more the alliance population is set to Wonder-Building, the less their players would be individually benefiting in other areas. The more the alliance is successful persuading its members, the quicker the Wonder is built.

(3) What happens if an alliance builds the chosen wonder first? Well, HCs can switch, after paying some sort of penalty, i.e. 10% time and 10% resources.

(4) But, I do think once an alliance completes one, that one cannot be built by other alliances. And all alliances currently building the built Wonder would take a penalty to switch. This is simply to create the incentive to strategize, to spy, to take into account the muscle power of each alliance, and the likelihood that others who are already building V or W may finish first theirs. Every time a penalty is taken, the project becomes more expensive (but don't forget the next wonder should be a better one).

(5) Can we destroy them? At first glance I would say no. Once alliances complete them, they become part of the record, until next round ofc.

(6) We may even begin a sort of carry-over reward system, in which at the beginning of next round the #1 alliance of the previous round starts with 50% of any wonder they choose.
(a) How, I have no clue, but once the system is in place, this one time assignment should not be hard to accomplish.
(b) This, however, could be the most important feature of the system, as #1 alliance the previous round, should be the first one to build the 1st wonder the following round. But not necessarily. The #1 may go for a more expensive Wonder, while other alliances may go for the cheapest one.

(7) In theory the first wonder should appear right after the first 72 ticks (3 stages [days]), and the last one may not appear until the middle of the round. Ideally most of the top 10 alliances should be able to build one, and maybe the top 3 can build 2 or 3. And it would require strategical planning... think of all the money alliances may loose if they go for the last 1 or 2 Wonders... The rewards may be great, so may the losses... Some will choose to stop, other to gamble.

(8) One final thing. Wonders may add to the total score of alliances, and this may be an incentive on its own (some wonder's benefit may be vulgar, quasi not worthy the investment/risk... but together with a disproportionate amount of points, it may make it just worthy enough... For example: The UU (The United Universe): if you build it it gives every member double their current population (crap!, maybe, unless wisely use) BUT also a lot of points for the rank. Moreover, my guess is that most people would go for the Ark rather than the UU, so, the first to loose the race should have the better shot at the UU. So, it is like a safety net. Something like this...

(9) Where to build them? It can be in the abstract. BUT, even a more controversial idea would be to make the planets in which a wonder is built as immune to attacks (but not cov ops, scans), AND fully capable of attacking others. This is an idea on its own. A flag planet (or 2 or 3 at most) for the alliances that achieve building a wonder. A reward for a heavy investment. A planet to brag about (the HC’s or the most senior member, or a weaklink?). And to nourish and make it a top 10. A new goal for PA alliances. To put a Wonder-Planet in the top 10!!!

(10) Other matters:

(a) Starting, switching & completing a Wonder should be notified in the news.
(b) There should be a new scan (low % of success): Discover Wonder Project
(c) There should be a new cov op (low % of success): Sabotage Wonder
(d) Now we all know how easy it is to implement change in PA. The key to ever see this feature is to brainstorm a way to implement such a system with very little coding. So, lets simplify! Again, I am no tech wizard, I am a law student. I got no clue how much this would cost.

NOW, thank for your consideration and constructive derision.
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2008, 22:32   #2
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road
Re: Alliance Wonders

(1) MZY, sorry again, but Benneh said this belonged here. So I switched back.

(2) Benneh, I got nothing else to do. But you are wrong in using "mediocre," in whatever way you are using it. Don't worry, I'll begone again soon.
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2008, 01:48   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Not sure how much this will add.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2008, 07:19   #4
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I think someone has been playing to much either Age of empires or Civ
Unread 19 Jun 2008, 12:07   #5
sloth

sloth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk

Not sure how much this will add.
errr.... something new ? .... something to work towards ?

Aedolaws, sounds like a good idea tbh
sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2008, 16:00   #6
Soap
Returning PA player

Soap is an unknown quantity at this point

Another surgestion, i think i touch this breifly on the last topic but hey ho...

With the issue of discovering the Wonders (point #7 in your big list) what if they was an alliance tech tree? So each alliance would have to research/construct things that would unlock wonders. So X and Y gets researched, Q gets build, and wonders 1, 2 and 3 become available. Then A gets researched and wonder 4 becomes available? But the insentive to make alliances shouldnt just be wonders, they should be small scale rewards for getting the other techs (or mini wonders!). Oh, and ref when you see the tech tree, as soon as the alliance opens cos lets face it, members are gonna be too smal to do anything anyway early on.

---

For point #9. I think having an alliance HQ planet sounds pritty good. I also think this opens up alot for alliances. It could give alliances the choice of a planet giving them an income of M C an E? That planet could say have the average number of roids of its members to start with, then members could donate roids/ships to defend. Also, gives enemys the chance where they could attack to damage production of Wonders. (even if it was that while the planet is under attack, no research or construction can be made? Or even 50% less effective?). But all in all, a HQ planet does give a target for scans, and something for alliances to brag about! Also a last point i just thought of, the planet would have its own population building its wonders/techs.

---

#6. tbh I dont think they should be a carry over to the next round. Each round is fresh so i think that should stay the way it is.

---

Like this idea alot! gj

Soap
Soap is offline   Reply With Quote