User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Jan 2006, 21:51   #1
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Pride (In The Name Of Love)

This thread is about the nature of pride; why are we proud, and what does it mean to be proud? My central dilemma: should I be proud of the things I control, or the things I don't control?

The two central thoughts that I'm focusing on here are as follows:
A) A person scores 173 on an IQ test (assume this occurred because the person in question has an IQ of 173). The person is proud. But then the person is told, reasonably enough, that he has no reason to be proud, he did nothing to earn that IQ; just got 'lucky'. This situation applies to high IQ, 'natural athletic ability', perhaps stupid luck (I won the lottery! I am so much better than you!)*, and good looks (in which category we can include any particular 'anatomical superiority').
B) A person scores 100% on a, say, spelling test (assume this occurred because the person studied a lot). The person is proud. But then the person is told, reasonably enough, that there is no reason to be proud, anyone could have gotten the same score had they bothered to study that much (in this category we can include anything in which achievement is a direct result of effort).

Obviously you can have any combination of these as well. But which should you be proud of? I don't know off hand; I don't really understand what pride is, or why anyone should be proud of anything. One thing I do think, though, is that 'succeeding against the odds' doesn't really seem worth being proud of. Yes, what with being born blind and with no hands, it must have been pretty hard to learn to convert free throws 99.9% of the time. But don't you think you could have applied yourself in a better way? It would seem that focusing on the things that come easily to you is the way to go, and doing otherwise is stupid, not impressive. Not to say that you shouldn't do what you enjoy.

Another thing is (are?) parents. "You see that kid that just scored his fourth touchdown this game? That's my son. My genes, you know." That's great Mr., but you never scored a touchdown even in high school football. If those are your genes, did you waste them? Is that something to be proud of? Or the fact your son is scoring despite the shitty genes you gave him? Is that something to be proud of? You can go the same way as above with this, too. Anyone's kid could have turned out great if they would have spent the million hours necessary to straighten out the rotten little bastard they started with. Nothing to be proud of there ("I'm so proud that after 6 years working with a full-time staff of child psychologists, my son is no longer biting house pets every chance he gets"). Or, you never bothered parenting the kid at all. You were never home. And he turned out great. Certainly something to be proud of there.

*And why is that while I can imagine someone saying "My IQ is way higher than yours", I can't imagine someone saying "I'm so much better at the lottery than you"?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2006, 22:05   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Free will is probably an illusion and therefore any notion of pride in terms of personal (in)action is probably erroneous. However, it's an illusion which sustains most of so why not just go with it?

Ignoring that, you can be glad about certain things (e.g. "I'm very glad I have a massive penis") which seems to be synonomous with what most people mean by pride.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2006, 22:19   #3
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Ignoring that, you can be glad about certain things (e.g. "I'm very glad I have a massive penis") which seems to be synonomous with what most people mean by pride.
as penis enlargement surgery becomes more effective and available, what effect would you expect that to have on 'large penis pride'?

i guess a lot of women are proud of their large fake breasts. i'm not sure why 'my surgeon did a great job' is something to be proud of. it's possible that the woman in question spent top dollar and got it done right, but then, odds are good it wasn't her money anyway. In which case, maybe she's proud of her ability to use her body to convince men to spend money on her.

But then why did she need the new breasts if she was already capable of bending men to her will?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2006, 22:29   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
as penis enlargement surgery becomes more effective and available, what effect would you expect that to have on 'large penis pride'?
Not much. Although socially people probably gives preference to "natural" talent vs bought talent.

Overall it's a feedback mechanism for further action. If you play WoW and level up you are glad/happy/proud of your actions and so the desire to continue playing is raised. Or if you've got a good body / good looks it's probably a drive to continue eating well / working out or whatever.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 00:51   #5
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Free will is probably an illusion and therefore any notion of pride in terms of personal (in)action is probably erroneous. However, it's an illusion which sustains most of so why not just go with it?
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Dante Hicks again...

Nicely put, couldn't agree with you more
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 01:08   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I am rather proud of my genes. They're me. And I'm cool.