User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 May 2003, 13:33   #1
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Camcorder DivX things (esp Matrix Reloaded)

In view of all the discussion regarding Matrix Reloaded, I decided to watch a part of it again now, rather than go to the cinema later. I'm usually against any kind of piracy, so I felt a twinge of guilt!

Using DC++ I got a few different versions, and all were done via camcorders. Man they SUCK. A couple of people on IRC were bragging about how they'd already seen it before it was released due to american camcorder versions. A few of these people went on about how they thought the movie sucked.

ANY movie that is shot on a camcorder, complete with people talking, doors opening etc, is going to be far less enjoyable. I know that some downloaded movies are good - a mate has 8 Mile on Vid CD with dolby 5.1. But anybody who only watches a movie on a camcordered download has something very, very wrong with their brain.

I could understand it if you were reeeeeeally desperate to see something, but surely a big film with lots of sfx is worth waiting to see on the big screen?

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 13:37   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
erm

THe Matrix Reloaded is on the net with full surround sound and is a direct rip from the original film apparently. Its not camcorder.

BBC ran a thing on it y/day. If you know where to look you can get it.

And the camcorder varients vary in quality. the one ive seen is not too bad tbh. The only thing is that it shakes at the start then settles right down. Sound isnt ace and neither is picture quality DVD style but its watchable.

However. the 'really good one' is out there already.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 13:37   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Camcorder DivX things (esp Matrix Reloaded)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
There is supposedly a rip of the actual reel avec Surround Sound on BitTorrent, or so says the BBC.
Unread 28 May 2003, 13:37   #4
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
In view of all the discussion regarding Matrix Reloaded, I decided to watch a part of it again now, rather than go to the cinema later. I'm usually against any kind of piracy, so I felt a twinge of guilt!

Using DC++ I got a few different versions, and all were done via camcorders. Man they SUCK. A couple of people on IRC were bragging about how they'd already seen it before it was released due to american camcorder versions. A few of these people went on about how they thought the movie sucked.

ANY movie that is shot on a camcorder, complete with people talking, doors opening etc, is going to be far less enjoyable. I know that some downloaded movies are good - a mate has 8 Mile on Vid CD with dolby 5.1. But anybody who only watches a movie on a camcordered download has something very, very wrong with their brain.

I could understand it if you were reeeeeeally desperate to see something, but surely a big film with lots of sfx is worth waiting to see on the big screen?

M.
i watched it last night on my friends computer. It was pretty good quality. He has 19", and his monitor is fairly large
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 13:38   #5
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:

Of course it is. I learnt that all those years back when the first Batman came out. I got it on pirate and thought it was utter poo (dark and unatmospheric). It put me off the whole series when in fact, it wasnt that bad, the copy I saw was just atrocious.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 13:38   #6
Mong
Forever Delayed

I obviously don't know the right places to look Like I said, I don't really go in for this P2P stuff.

Somebody wanna pm?

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 28 May 2003, 13:39   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I obviously don't know the right places to look

Somebody wanna pm?

M.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/2940270.stm

Says the webby was taken down.

It'll be available through 'other channels' though...
Unread 28 May 2003, 13:39   #8
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Re: Re: Camcorder DivX things (esp Matrix Reloaded)

Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan
He has 19", and his monitor is fairly large
Your friend is a big boy. Im glad his monitor is of good size too.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 14:00   #9
Mong
Forever Delayed

Bah humbug. I'm clearly not leet. I keep getting pants versions... Now the question; do I go to the cinema or buy the DVD? There's two scenes I want to see again. Hohum...

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 28 May 2003, 14:02   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Re: Camcorder DivX things (esp Matrix Reloaded)

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashTester
Your friend is a big boy. Im glad his monitor is of good size too.
I almost thought I was the only one who noticed that
Unread 28 May 2003, 14:12   #11
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Yuck, i hate Camcords! Get them away from me!

Seriously, i would go to the cinema. I loved the movie, so i would recomend it.

And i don't know any places to get pirated material, as thats illigal, SHAME ON YOU MONG!
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 14:14   #12
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
Seriously, i would go to the cinema. I loved the movie, so i would recomend it.

And i don't know any places to get pirated material, as thats illigal, SHAME ON YOU MONG!
Snurxy baby! I'm usually very against piracy, but I just wanted to see a couple of scenes right now to answer some questions!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 28 May 2003, 14:25   #13
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

Somebody wanna pm?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 14:33   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I never watch camcorder copies whether they're mine or not (well obviously they're unlikely to be mine as I don't watch them).
When I watch a film I don't want the be stuggling to make out what the hell the fuzzy blob in the middle of the screen is doing and desperately trying to hear the dialog over the terrible background noise levels.

It's simply not enjoyable and doesn't do any film justice.

Unread 28 May 2003, 14:56   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Bah humbug. I'm clearly not leet. I keep getting pants versions... Now the question; do I go to the cinema or buy the DVD? There's two scenes I want to see again. Hohum...
Aren't you a pro-IP whore?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:15   #16
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Quote:
Snurxy baby! I'm usually very against piracy, but I just wanted to see a couple of scenes right now to answer some questions!

M.
still....
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:22   #17
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Don't trust him! He's a cop!

OK, hints: the slashdot article has all the info you need, try browsing at -1 nested. Googling for the two obvious terms from reading the BBC article might help, too.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:23   #18
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Do I (usually) respect copyright? Yes.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 28 May 2003, 15:27   #19
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
The quality version was available on Bittorrent. However, bittorrent has always been fairly 'low profile' and with this dragging them into the limelight most torrent trackers were slammed out of existance in seconds (especially when someone posted .torrent links on slashdot ) and are pretty much lying low till this blows over.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:29   #20
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I've no problem with downloading the whole of Reloaded now because I know for sure that when the DVD comes out I'll be buying that anyway for the higher quality, surround-sound, extras and just having it boxed.

Perhaps I'm 'odd' but I think it's a fairly widely held standpoint.
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:36   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Do I (usually) respect copyright? Yes.
Theft is theft dude. "I was curious" will be no excuse when you're burning in Jack Valenti's personally devised hell!
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:38   #22
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
I've no problem with downloading the whole of Reloaded now because I know for sure that when the DVD comes out I'll be buying that anyway for the higher quality, surround-sound, extras and just having it boxed.

Perhaps I'm 'odd' but I think it's a fairly widely held standpoint.
ditto

(so someone pm me a link ;p)
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:39   #23
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Theft is theft dude. "I was curious" will be no excuse when you're burning in Jack Valenti's personally devised hell!
Theft is indeed theft.
Quote:
It is an offence for a person to dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it
Please demonstrate how that definition applies to a downloaded film.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:45   #24
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
well I stupidly bought a DVD copy from import from USA and it was low-quality - sound was good but the quality was dark (obviously) - anyway - I saw the film after having only watched the DVD once and altho I knew what was going to happen, I listened in harder on detail etc. and it helped me to understand the matrix more as well as theorize my own theories on the philosophy of it all

for those that don't know, in Central London - there are DVD hi-quality versions of Matrix Reloaded... but selling at £40 a DVD - like **** off.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:47   #25
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
ditto

(so someone pm me a link ;p)
ditto
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:50   #26
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
Theft is indeed theft.

Please demonstrate how that definition applies to a downloaded film.
Let's not get into the tired IP debate in this thread eh? Start another if you like...

As an aside: What if HUMANS made a matrix which they somehow wired MACHINES into? Imagine that humans were threatened by the machines, and thus set about a way to trick the machines into thinking they were in The Real World, when in fact they are in a matrix? Probably not one of the best theories, I agree.

I suggest people see The Animatrix, in order to realise how the Human<>Machine conflict arose, and how the machines actually aren't the evil creations most people assume them to be...

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 28 May 2003, 15:51   #27
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Let's not get into the tired IP debate in this thread eh? Start another if you like...
Ooops, thought I was in the other big Matrix thread, not this one sorry!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 28 May 2003, 15:52   #28
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
It's not the IP debate, I was merely pointing out that it is not theft, merely copyright infringement which is not a crime but a civil matter.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 28 May 2003, 15:52   #29
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan
He has 19", and his monitor is fairly large
Bet that was fun.
Unread 28 May 2003, 16:00   #30
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
It's not the IP debate, I was merely pointing out that it is not theft, merely copyright infringement which is not a crime but a civil matter.
It IS the tired old IP debate. Dante was being sarcastic and you thought "hey I'll post this clever legal distinction to look clever". That is why it is tired; to not be tired, it would have to be sensitive to context.
Unread 28 May 2003, 16:00   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I quite agree see my "Dante Hicks is anti-IP Commie Bastard" thrads for more details.

Anyway : The Animatrix is pretty cool, the first two parts (Second Renaissance) are clearly the best. The bit with the robot woman & the sledgehammer = ugh.

Also, I can totally believe humanity will be stupid enough to do what they do...
Unread 28 May 2003, 16:02   #32
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Also, I can totally believe humanity will be stupid enough to do what they do...
I strongly doubt that sentient robots would ever be in that position though.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 16:08   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
I strongly doubt that sentient robots would ever be in that position though.
No, because humanities secret weapon (the PA Elite) will be unleashed in the nick of time to crush the machine menace with wave upon wave of attacks.

Unless you meant something else. Which you did.
Unread 28 May 2003, 16:10   #34
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Which you did.
well actually......

you're right, I did.

Unread 28 May 2003, 16:15   #35
Homerio
Furious Angel

Homerio is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.vcdquality.com

they probably are talking about the centropy version which is a telesync - filmed with a cam then has the audio added later by recording the sound throuhg a plug that is meant to be used by partially deaf people to hear better

the jpg samples on the site there show the quality that these people are able to do :eek:

<Slava> If we quit pa and take up residence in a new game that would be better. Take our organisation, alliance, and skills elsewhere.
<Hathor^> hyperiums
<Hathor^> Dark Galaxy
<Slava> anything will do.
* Slava imagines team-deathmatch-hopscotch
Homerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 16:17   #36
Radical Edward

do they still have those plugs in the US? I haven't seen them in the UK, all I see here is induction loops, and the sound quality in them is pretty poor (they do terrible bass, are up to 1/4 of a second out and sound tinny)

Unread 28 May 2003, 16:20   #37
queball
Ball

Stuff that episode gets wrong:

The news station calls those supporting rights for robots "liberal sympathisers"; while the modern liberal movement seems to be largely anti-technology, anti-progess, etc. Though if they mean liberal in the original sense then fine. I fully support legal protection for a sentient robot's right to life.

The human countries quickly put up trade sanctions against the robot nation, ostensibly to protect jobs, but protectionism doesn't work: the robot currency would rise until its good were unaffordable; I doubt they would have many imports.

The UN still exists.
Unread 28 May 2003, 16:47   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
The news station calls those supporting rights for robots "liberal sympathisers"; while the modern liberal movement seems to be largely anti-technology, anti-progess, etc.
Perhaps, but I think they meant "tolerant" which is kinda fuzzy.

Still, I'll do everything I can to stop sentient robots being built, since I know that I'd be compelled to support their rights once they exist.

Another mistake : The humans would have nuked 01 almost instantly, with everything they had. Especially if it was near those bloody Arabs.
Unread 28 May 2003, 16:48   #39
Radical Edward

Quote:
Still, I'll do everything I can to stop sentient robots being built, since I know that I'd be compelled to support their rights once they exist.
why would you do everything you can to stop them from being built though?

Unread 29 May 2003, 11:00   #40
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by Homerio
they probably are talking about the centropy version which is a telesync - filmed with a cam then ...
I've actually gotten hold of that version. I'm amazed if it's done with a cam! Looks very good, and sound is pretty good too. We're not talking DVD quality though. Maybe "DVD copied onto VHS through an analogue cable" quality. Doesn't compare with the big screen though!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 29 May 2003, 11:18   #41
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
why would you do everything you can to stop them from being built though?
Because sentient robots would probably be a mistake.
Unread 29 May 2003, 11:20   #42
DrNick
Land Based Biped

DrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these parts
I got an "about schmidt" or however u spell that dvd rip when it was out in the cinema. It was a copy of some oscar DVD sent to judges. Superb quality. I just delete movies if the are camcorder ones.

I love films I can't be arsed with **** copies and thankfully there's a good copy of most movies floating about.
Unread 29 May 2003, 12:21   #43
queball
Ball

Quote:
Because sentient robots would probably be a mistake.
Based on what? Didn't Luddites get laughed at and forgotten ages ago?
Unread 29 May 2003, 12:33   #44
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
There is supposedly a rip of the actual reel avec Surround Sound on BitTorrent, or so says the BBC.
This has turned out to be false by the way. I've dug around a lot, and it's widely denied. Although of course people could have reasons for denying it!

From TorrentFiles.Com:

Quote:
"Where did all the bittorrents GO?" I know this is the question in all of your minds. . . . well, blame the media. . . . BBC has reported a completely bogus story about the pirateing of Matrix Reloaded. . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/2940270.stm

This has caused alot of panic in the BT community. . . even though most of the story is just made up. . . and NO, there is no version of the Matrix Reloaded that is the quality that this story claims. . . so dont ask. . . We will stay online for as long as possible, everyone is keeping there heads low at the moment. . . . We hope the whole community can pull though. . . . wish us luck.
M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 29 May 2003, 12:46   #45
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Based on what? Didn't Luddites get laughed at and forgotten ages ago?
It's a purely subjective decision on my behalf. There are various things that I think are cool and desirable, other things I would prefer not be developed. While I can see the intellectual justification of developing everything we can develop (e.g. the mathematics behind such a theory) - I don't see the industrial justification of devoting resources for the hell of it.

On a practical side, I see that either robots would be completley opressed (and I can't support restricting the liberty of a sentient being) or they'd be given freedom and I see no reason why they wouldn't obliterate us or blatantly surpass us. I'm a humanist, not a universalist (Erm?).

I won't be alive during these developments of course, so it doesn't really matter.
Unread 29 May 2003, 17:10   #46
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future
i have the perfect quality divx rip.

you want?

Zar
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2003, 20:04   #47
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Zar
i have the perfect quality divx rip.

you want?

Zar
i have the SVCD rip ^-^

want me to seed
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2003, 20:24   #48
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
usually there are dvd-rips of promotions-DVDs available, in almost perfect quality for every moive you desire. so this whole camcorder-thigny is pretty much useless.
Unread 30 May 2003, 01:00   #49
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to clarify...

Cam - someone goes into the cinema with a camcorder + posts it on the net. ewww.

Telesync - Usually an 'after hours' setup, with a properly tripodded camera and decent direct audio linkup. Can range from medium to near DVD (if done right)

Screener - A pre-release rip (see below). Generally has copyright notices and may not (rarely) be the final edit. DVD Quality.

Rip - Digitally grabbed from a release DVD and (generally) re-encoded with mpeg4.

You generally can tell a cam from a telesync as the perspective is usually screwed in the cam as you really need the cam at the same place as the projector. The colours are generally washed out + oversaturated in the above, DVD is the only real way of getting it as it should be.

btw vcd = mpeg1, svcd = mpeg2, dvd = mpeg2, divx/xvid = mpeg 4.
Unread 30 May 2003, 01:13   #50
queball
Ball

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
usually there are dvd-rips of promotions-DVDs available, in almost perfect quality for every moive you desire. so this whole camcorder-thigny is pretty much useless.
Apparently Matrix Reloaded hasn't been released digitally in cinemas and DVD rips are nowhere to be seen.

Dante: transhumanist is the way to go.