User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 12:44   #1
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future
translation mix-ups

I was looking on another forum (http://forum.wordreference.com) and I found a gem of a thread which really cracked me up, about funny and embarrasing mistakes made by people trying to learn a language in a foreign country. Here's a couple that made me laugh:

I have a friend called Dave who's from Ireland and when he came to France to visit me and my family, as he didn't have much money he decided to hitch a ride. Now Dave speaks very little French but still, he wanted to make conversation with the guy who'd given him a ride.

As it was really cold outside, assuming that talking about the weather was pretty safe, he went: "je suis fou!" (I am insane) instead of "j'ai froid" (I'm cold).

Then he realized he must have made some sort of mistake and didn't utter another word during the whole journey! It still makes me laugh to tears.

In 12 years' teaching English as a foreign language in Spain my students have given me plenty of lovely little moments. The best comic moments were from an older gentleman who was studying English from scratch in order to speak to his daughter-in-law. His keenness to learn and speak was only matched by his flamboyant disregard for any grammar in his sentences. He was always the first to laugh at his own mistakes.
Here are some of his gems:

To get angry is when you lose your temperature. (temper)
I am a handbag. (I have a bag)
I eat my wife. (My wife makes my food)
There are too many people in this snack. (snack-bar)
When are you fat? (?)
My favourite sandwich is jam and keys. (ham and cheese)
Ah, selfish! Like the big store in London! (Selfridges)
A zip is a small animal. ( I presume he was talking about a bee)
A further 2000 pounds is now being sick (sought)
Before I start a long journey in the car I always check the whales. (wheels)
-Are you single?
-No, I'm double.

several years ago I wanted to refer to a friend of mine as a gentleman (caballero), and instead called him a caballo (horse).

etc...

Now my story... I had once tried to help teach a Greek girl some english and, being college students, we were telling her about male reproductive organs ( a vital part of her education). She couldn't quite get the hang of the word 'penis' and kept saying 'peanuts' which we found a little amusing, that was until my 'helpful' friend told her he had two peanuts (referring to balls) -- and you should have seen the scared look on her face! O_o

Hope other people have some fun examples :-)
-tux

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote