User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 May 2006, 21:46   #1
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of
Grammar/spelling: what really annoys you?

Inspired by this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
P.S. (in re your other thread) now you have all this time on your hands could you be a dear and learn the difference between less and fewer? there's a good chap.
..I thought Id make a thred to find out if there are more pedants among us.

Personaly bad spelling/misuse of words online REALY anoys me. I dont mind misssed apostruphes or capital letters, but some things that ppl habitualy type make my brain hurt.

xamples are:
- people who don't know the difference between your/you're, and there/they're/their
- people who say 'this data'
- people who say 'alot'
- people who say 'it's' when they mean 'its'. though the reverse doesn't bother me so much.

Those are probably top of my hitlist...now tell me urs!

e.v.o.l.v.e

Last edited by vampy; 25 May 2006 at 00:12.
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2006, 21:49   #2
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Grammar/spelling: what really annoys you?

i have plenty, you mentioned most but these two always come to mind too: i'm/im, have/of.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2006, 21:57   #3
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

To be fair, as long as somebody's post is approaching readable i'm not too worried.

I don't go out of my way to correct other peoples' spelling/grammar etc as i'm rather prone to screwing up my own due to laziness.

However, their/they're/there does annoy me slightly but not as much as 'txt speek' and the general use of numbers inappropriately - gr8, h8 etc

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2006, 21:57   #4
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampy
..I thought I'd make a thread to find out if there are more pedants among us.
You're supposed to use three fullstops in a line in that context.
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:00   #5
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

The only thing that really bothers me is Americanised spellings.
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:03   #6
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
You're supposed to use three fullstops in a line in that context.
In the context of what?
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:04   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
The only thing that really bothers me is Americanised spellings.
Americanized

Unread 24 May 2006, 22:06   #8
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

what's wrong with "this data"?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:06   #9
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
In the context of what?
It's what I was taught

It was the only criticism I could make of her post
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:07   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
It's what I was taught

It was the only criticism I could make of her post
That's true.

However while you made that criticism you also made a mistake.

innit
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:12   #11
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
what's wrong with "this data"?
data is singular, however it's not really wrong per se anymore since it seems to have been accepted through common use.

speaking of which, i'm also irritated by per se/per say.
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:14   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
i have plenty
Try capitalising your sentences.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:15   #13
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

American spellings of english words (hello to you, "center").
People who can't work out where an apostrophe goes. "Wont" has an entirely different meaning to "won't" you guys, go look it up.
People who still, after god knows how many years of being taught, can't use a comma or a paragraph properly.

On a slight side-track, there should be more use of the colon* and the semicolon!

* LAWL BUTSECKS
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:18   #14
jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Try capitalising your sentences.
no thanks, that's also another pet hate of mine, although it's only prevalent whenever i type rather than write. i'm not too sure why though.
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:19   #15
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On the semicolon thing, many people tend to use a hyphen instead.

The two are largely interchangeable so I guess it's ok; I like semicolons because they make me look refined!

The two are largely interchangeable so I guess it's ok - I like semicolons because they make me look refined!

See?
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:28   #16
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
data is singular,
Quote:
Data is the plural of datum.
:/
Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
The two are largely interchangeable so I guess it's ok; I like semicolons because they make me look refined!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
The two are largely interchangeable so I guess it's ok - I like semicolons because they make me look refined!

without question.
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:29   #17
jerome

i've been lied to!

(i'm going to research this)

edit: seems i'm wrong according to dictionary.com and wait no i was an idiot and misread many contexts. vampy was right, this data is still wrong, it should be 'these' etc
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:34   #18
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
i've been lied to!

(i'm going to research this)

edit: seems i'm wrong according to dictionary.com and frankly, i blame vampy!
however,

normally 'this' does go with singular ("this post sucks")
where 'these' goes with the plural ("all of these posts of mine suck")

but if someone used the phrase "these data" in my presence i would definitely kick them in the face twice (the plural), so i'm not sure what she was suggesting. hence my post.
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:37   #19
Yahwe
I am.

i don't like people who to the splitting of infinities object.

it's a modern rule that stifles expression.
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:37   #20
jerome

read my 2nd edit.
(hmm, i also just noticed it doesn't show "x has edited this post blalba" anymore so you can't actually tell.)

though all this being said, this data is now accepted by the majority (also highlighted somewhat in; http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=data )
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:40   #21
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

rediculous
your/you're
neccessary
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:42   #22
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Words such as "innit".
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:43   #23
Yahwe
I am.

the data/datum question is boringly complicated.

it really depends on the subject.

when refering to a sheet of paper containing several lines of datum it is acceptable to say 'this' because you are refering to the sheet, which is a singular coagulation of the many, not the data as an independent whole.
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:44   #24
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
read my 2nd edit.
(hmm, i also just noticed it doesn't show "x has edited this post blalba" anymore so you can't actually tell.)

though all this being said, this data is now accepted by the majority (also highlighted somewhat in; http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=data )
this post refutes all five statements of fact made by the edit it refers to.

somewhat impressive thinks i.
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:45   #25
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
rediculous
yeah that one really needs to get stomped without mercy.
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:46   #26
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Words such as "innit".
you wound me.

P.S. henry we all know that it is necessary for a shirt to have one collar and two sleeves
Unread 24 May 2006, 22:49   #27
jerome

Quote:
this post refutes all five statements of fact made by the edit it refers to.

somewhat impressive thinks i.
yeah, i meant to make a third edit whilst i slowly managed to read through the page in it's wholesome, i jumped to conclusions and eventually just gave up bothering as the link explains everything. revision and posting do not mix.
Unread 24 May 2006, 23:05   #28
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

When communicating with people on the internet I'm happy as long as I understand what they write (or intend to write). But if it's an article made by a newspaper or any other things that is supposed to be "formal", I easily get annoyed over it.
Unread 24 May 2006, 23:40   #29
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It annoys me when people complain about grammatical 'rules' which dont matter. Less/fewer is a good example because it makes no difference whatsoever. There is no possible situation in which your meaning would be obscured because you said 'less' instead of 'fewer', so its really just an excuse for people who know a bit more about grammar to feel superior to those who dont. "Who/whom" is another example of this, as is splitting infinitives, not using apostraphes in words like "can't", and the infamous "you and I".

The only time 'rules' matter is when disobeying them actually creates confusion or ambiguity of meaning. Abuse of punctuation is a good example of this as is riteing all ur psts in AOL speek. Prescriptive grammar is generally silly.

Last edited by Nodrog; 24 May 2006 at 23:51.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:02   #30
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampy
- people who don't know the difference between your/you're, and there/they're/their
- people who say 'alot'
- people who say 'it's' when they mean 'its'. though the reverse doesn't bother me so much.
;/ some of us are just dumb
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:43   #31
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
It annoys me when people complain about grammatical 'rules' which dont matter. Less/fewer is a good example because it makes no difference whatsoever. There is no possible situation in which your meaning would be obscured because you said 'less' instead of 'fewer', so its really just an excuse for people who know a bit more about grammar to feel superior to those who dont. "Who/whom" is another example of this, as is splitting infinitives, not using apostraphes in words like "can't", and the infamous "you and I".

The only time 'rules' matter is when disobeying them actually creates confusion or ambiguity of meaning. Abuse of punctuation is a good example of this as is riteing all ur psts in AOL speek. Prescriptive grammar is generally silly.
however, in this perspective proper grammar is defined by what is understood,

which in turn is defined by the listener/reader most incapable of understanding.

Leaving the following dilemma:
Do we want the most intelligent people defining right and wrong (and perhaps lording it over the rest),
or the least intelligent?
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:51   #32
myk
PA Team

myk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Inspired by this...

Personaly bad spelling/misuse of words online REALY anoys me. I dont mind misssed apostruphes or capital letters, but some things that ppl habitualy type make my brain hurt.

xamples are:
- people who say 'alot'

Your entire post annoys me. There are two N's in annoy, two L's in personally, thread has an 'a' in it, need I go on? ..

-myk-

[email protected]
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:57   #33
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
however, in this perspective proper grammar is defined by what is understood,

which in turn is defined by the listener/reader most incapable of understanding.

Leaving the following dilemma:
Do we want the most intelligent people defining right and wrong (and perhaps lording it over the rest),
or the least intelligent?
Being intelligent has nothing to do with it, pretty much every single change to language ever has been opposed by those who considered themselves 'intelligent' and 'men of words'. Our language managed to evolve from Olde English to what we have now despite constant protestations so I doubt that continuing to ignore prescriptive grammarians is going to destroy English. If "the intelligent" had their way then latin would probably still be the language of choice for educated people.
Unread 25 May 2006, 01:24   #34
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is no possible situation in which your meaning would be obscured because you said 'less' instead of 'fewer', so its really just an excuse for people who know a bit more about grammar to feel superior to those who dont.
non-native speakers/readers of english are not a possible situation?
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 03:16   #35
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to grammar or spelling, I guess that is because I don't care much about how I write myself. The only thing that annoys me is this 'leet-speak' with things like 'u r'. What's the point? In exchange for saving four letters you make the text unreadable. I agree with Nod. As long as it's not confusing it really doesn't matter.

PS I actually had no idea that it's important whether I use 'fewer' or 'less'. I would just use whatever sounds right
Unread 25 May 2006, 04:13   #36
[SH]Valle
Flying Hamster

[SH]Valle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk
Your entire post annoys me. There are two N's in annoy, two L's in personally, thread has an 'a' in it, need I go on? ..
And iirc there is an E in Example
Unread 25 May 2006, 05:05   #37
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
but if someone used the phrase "these data" in my presence i would definitely kick them in the face twice (the plural), so i'm not sure what she was suggesting. hence my post.
The data?

As an aside, i think i am one of the people that must really annoy alot of people in this thread. Such as my frequent use of 'alot' instead of 'a lot'. I also seem to do many of the other misspellings, but ah well :\

Americanisations (lol yahwe) really irk me too. Center, Mom, decentralization - but in particular color really stands out for me. For some reason, i read it as "Koe Lore" as opposed to colour which is more like Kulla. Yes, whinge at my accent .

There are other things that irk me too, though i tend to notice them more in speech - namely "youse" generates an autocorrect from me; "you". :\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 07:48   #38
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Less/fewer is a good example because it makes no difference whatsoever. There is no possible situation in which your meaning would be obscured because you said 'less' instead of 'fewer'
Incorrect. Some measures can be quantised or continuous, so, assuming the context has not been granted, confusion can arise.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 07:49   #39
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Mine have already been mentioned. Misspelling of ridiculous, lack of capitalisation, use of the word 'innit' and people not noticing when language has evolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
The only thing that annoys me is this 'leet-speak' with things like 'u r'
I wouldn't say that was symptomatic of "leet speak" - that's AOL speak, if it's anything. Leet speak is more to do with "hax0rs", "b0xen", "pwning n00bs" and so forth. In the early days of leet speak on bulletin boards, I doubt anyone would get away with writing "u r". If anything, writing in leet was more effort, not less.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 08:08   #40
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Inspired by this...

xamples are:
- people who say 'alot'

No No No No NO!

For gods sake, you have no idea the amount of Pedantry we have to put up with on a daily basis. For the love of god PLEASE dont encourage them to try and force their own grammatical standards onto the rest of us!
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 09:31   #41
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
No No No No NO!

For gods sake, you have no idea the amount of Pedantry we have to put up with on a daily basis. For the love of god PLEASE dont encourage them to try and force their own grammatical standards onto the rest of us!
I hope someone forces your head under the water.
Unread 25 May 2006, 09:39   #42
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
but in particular color really stands out for me. For some reason, i read it as "Koe Lore"
In other words, "colon" with a different final letter. What lovely images you must have when you read American English ("I love all the different colors in this room", "This painting is just an explosion of color", etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
as opposed to colour which is more like Kulla. Yes, whinge at my accent .
If there is something bad about your accent, it's not apparent here, since that's how "colour" should be pronounced.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:19   #43
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

People that start a sentance with "and".

People that use a comma before the word "and".

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.

Last edited by Marv; 25 May 2006 at 14:45.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:25   #44
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Poeple [!] that start a sentance with "and".
That's sometimes acceptable (the and thing I mean).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:27   #45
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I hope someone forces your head under the water.
Im particularly unimpressed with this comment.
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:48   #46
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
Im particularly unimpressed with this comment.
"I'm"
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:49   #47
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
"I'm" "a" "Cock"
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:55   #48
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Grammar/spelling: what really annoys you?

"Genious"
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:57   #49
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Poeple that start a sentance with "and".
This is generally fine.
Quote:
People that use a comma before the word "and".
And so is this
Unread 25 May 2006, 11:43   #50
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Vampy