User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 16 May 2006, 14:23   #1
MegaNova
m33p

MegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the rough
XP this round

Before the round started there was a thread about how crappy the new XP formula was. And now that the round is getting close to 1000 ticks. I was starting to wonder what other ppl think about it.
Becouse i think that the new XP formula is crap, and supports bashing to much.
The only battles that arise atm are ppl who forget to pull or are fakes.

Last round on a good day i would get close to 10k xp with 3fleeting.
This round i havent 3fleeted but i have attacked with 2fleets each day at planets same value/score as me. But this has gotten me like a total of 7k XP.

Last round ppl whined that the XP formula made them quit.
Well this round the XP formulla makes me quit, becouse it supports bashing, at a degree that makes it less fun for the more casual player.

I am not quitting PA this round becouse of it, as i joined a BP and i am not going to abandom them or the randoms that got ingal (as i still like chatting with them).
But i do however would like to discuss how the XP formula could be adjusted for the next round to make it more fun for the casual player.
Unread 16 May 2006, 15:03   #2
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold
Re: XP this round

I love the new XP formula.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 15:04   #3
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNaga
I love the new XP formula.
You should really pad out your reasoning a bit there dude
Unread 16 May 2006, 15:31   #4
WeaponX
Legends live forever

WeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to behold

tbh i wasn´t happy with last rounds xp formula...being value cath it was damn difficult to get a decent rank!

they tweaked it too much though in my eyes, attacking bigger planets gets now rewared too less tbh, + xp wh0ring should be still there as an alternative, not as effective as last round though
Unread 16 May 2006, 15:34   #5
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road

Well I like this round so far, its more like the old fashioned way, but I think the formulae on the first r17 beta was the best, decent xp and still a good balance between value and xp planets..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 15:42   #6
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

this round is a tedious repetition of bottom feeding, feels like the shit "OMG OLD DAYS THTA EVERYONE PRETENDED TO LOVE" all over again

but then again last round was pretty tedious too
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 15:45   #7
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

I haven't played the beta so I can't comment on that formula. But I like this formula aswell. If you target higher scoring and higher valued planets then your own you still get a decent amount of XP.

So MegaNova you should just work on your targeting skills, cause you can still get around 3k XP per day if you attack right.

edit:fixed a nick

Last edited by Clogg; 16 May 2006 at 16:37.
Clogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 15:51   #8
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
You should really pad out your reasoning a bit there dude
There is not much to reason about, it depends on your view. I simply like the old way of value play. So currently, XP does what it should, in my eyes: keep your score up some if you crash/get fleet caught/bashed, so you don't feel like you've lost all your achievements.

The other part of the people wants xp whoring to be a viable way to win. For whatever reasons. I can't agree on that.

As far as the bashing goes, I don't feel or think it happens any more than last round. I actually think target picking has become more important than last round, and that if you continually attack smaller planets, you end up behind those that do a better work and attack bigger planets.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
Unread 16 May 2006, 16:12   #9
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
I actually think target picking has become more important than last round, and that if you continually attack smaller planets, you end up behind those that do a better work and attack bigger planets.
Not remotely true for me.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 16:14   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Not remotely true for me.
While I think I've sent four or five attack fleets all round at most I'd say that from what I've seen the planets doing better are those hitting down the food chain constantly.
Unread 16 May 2006, 16:15   #11
MegaNova
m33p

MegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
As far as the bashing goes, I don't feel or think it happens any more than last round. I actually think target picking has become more important than last round, and that if you continually attack smaller planets, you end up behind those that do a better work and attack bigger planets.
This is where i dont agree. These days becouse XP is non existant, its of no use to attack somebody the same value/score as yourself, its just about who has the easiest roids inside your bashlimit.

And the reward for attacking bigger ppl is basicly non existant.
Unread 16 May 2006, 17:33   #12
Illmaticks
you know you want me

Illmaticks has a spectacular aura aboutIllmaticks has a spectacular aura about

The new XP formula DOES indeed support newbie bashing, seeing as XP has become more or less obsolete, and its now just a race for roids. Personally, I prefer hitting planets smaller than myself, as I can't really see the point in pursuing XP, when it's so hard to come by.

But I suppose it's impossible to satisfy the lot of us.

Alliances: [Conc] [NRK] [ETY] [Guild] [Reunion] [HR] [Insomnia] [Ascendancy] & others...
Illmaticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 17:37   #13
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
are we talking about the same rounds here?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 20:24   #14
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been thinking about this for a week or so now, and I thought it would be better to simply change the formula to the following:

XP gained = roids_capped * ((5*value_bravery) + (3*score_bravery))

So:
max XP gain = 16XP per roid
equal value gains = 8XP per roid
min XP gain = 3XP per roid

As opposed to round 16:

max XP gain = 20XP per roid
equal value gains = 10XP per roid
min XP gain = 8XP per roid

And this round:

max XP gain = 20XP per roid
equal value gains = 5XP per roid
min XP gain = 0XP per roid

This will still allow XP whoring to compete for a top spot, but alot harder.
This will still encourage hitting those bigger than you.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 21:46   #15
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Arfy's idea may be a good one. One of my primary complaints with the old system was the extreme difference (factor of 5, minimum was 4, not 8) between hitting downwards and hitting upwards. This has only been made worse by the new system (except it's not as noticable since XP is practically non-existant).
Unread 16 May 2006, 22:01   #16
Robsch

Robsch is on a distinguished road

most of PA-players, or if not most so those who cry loudest, wanted xp to be unimportant for the game, so PA-Crew changed it back to become like that. So simply live with it and bash down and try do defend upwards.

actually I dont think its the reduction in attack xp that changed the game but the introduction of defense xp - now value players have value and xp as well on their side. Also with the shipstats its harder to get through on higher value planets
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
Robsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 22:06   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

Defence xp is effectively meaningless to be honest. Can someone in pateam tell us who has the most xp from defence actually, or would that information be saved in the database?
Unread 16 May 2006, 22:11   #18
Banned
Banned

I'd put money on it being a planet in 1:1.
Unread 16 May 2006, 22:46   #19
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsch
most of PA-players, or if not most so those who cry loudest, wanted xp to be unimportant for the game, so PA-Crew changed it back to become like that. So simply live with it and bash down and try do defend upwards.
I just keep wondering where you guys get "numbers" like this? I have yet to see any polls on it, but if there is: I'll shut my mouth. If not: My interpretation of it would be that people want XP to be less effective than last round, but still be an important factor when picking targets, and maybe even be a viable way to win.

Besides, if people wanted XP to be unimportant, why is it even in the game? And also, just because people want it it doesn't have to be good
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 23:20   #20
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I think they downsized xp a bit too much. Not that it's anything i lose sleep over, i still hit ppl who have higher value than me most of the times just like i've done for the last 7 rounds (and no, i'm not an xp-whore)
All i know is that i am personally enjoying this round more than last round and playing for value is a welcome change after last rounds travesty (no offence to ascendancy or any other xp-whores/farmers from last round, i just though there were way too much of you for a decent round)

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 23:38   #21
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Arfys suggestion looks quite decent, and is at least worth trying in a beta test after this round imo

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2006, 23:56   #22
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

I liked the formula with the number 700 in - indeed my calc is still available at

http://www.fxmy.co.uk/pa/xp17.php

Score = value + 700(XP^0.75)

Just incase you were wondering about how much defence XP is available in a 1400 tick round:

1400 ticks of outgoing shippage. 10 ticks for the def there and back (galaxy) = 140 defence missions per round.

35 xp per mission , and 3 slots is 35 * 140 * 3 = 14,700 XP, or 735k score.

Approx!

Last edited by Shyne; 17 May 2006 at 00:02.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2006, 02:51   #23
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

I love the xp formula... compliments my 0 loss xp whoring strategy nicely
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2006, 09:20   #24
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaNova
I am not quitting PA this round becouse of it, as i joined a BP and i am not going to abandom them or the randoms that got ingal (as i still like chatting with them).

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 01:30   #25
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

I think the new formula makes landing attacks much easier, but less rewarding. Rewards are much more heavily skewed towards the ability to defend successfully. I'm not convinced that this is a good thing.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 01:47   #26
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

It promotes team work which is what most 'traditional' alliances obviously favour. I think this is good too.

It discourages solo play - and lets face it, the game is only really fun for more than two weeks because of non-game activities such as these forums and IRC.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 04:09   #27
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

I love it because its more or less obsolete. I would love it more if XP was gone. Completely!
Unread 20 May 2006, 09:08   #28
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
It promotes team work which is what most 'traditional' alliances obviously favour. I think this is good too.
It promotes the kind of team work that can only be done at 4am. Most people's scores are now comprised of value, which reflects your ability to get other people to defend you at 4am. Attack cooperation, which can be organised at slightly more sane times of day, is less important because the total score gained from it is much less (unless, like me, you're zik).
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 14:36   #29
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treveler
I love it because its more or less obsolete. I would love it more if XP was gone. Completely!
I feel like a dinosaur
Unread 20 May 2006, 14:49   #30
Robsch

Robsch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
I feel like a dinosaur
yeah, round 16 will soon be commonly referred to as "Ice-Age" where there were the mighty "Ascendancy" around.

There will be films for new PA-players where you can see islands full of xp-whores and peeps will fearfully hide their faces when they see them three-fleeting all the way
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
Robsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 14:53   #31
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsch
There will be films for new PA-players where you can see islands full of xp-whores and peeps will fearfully hide their faces when they see them three-fleeting all the way
I don't think anyone ever feared xpwh0res as xpwh0res' fleets weren't much to brag about
Unread 21 May 2006, 09:35   #32
derry

derry will become famous soon enoughderry will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treveler
lol, looks like i'm not the only guy with this in his mind, alto i've been saying this since it was introduced
[18:45] <Helix> if two wrongs dont make a right its twice as wrong to do something wrong to right it

[00:22] <Doom> Where as in most cases it appears multing is an individual thing, LDK organises it and uses it. Making it an effective unit with a small number of players. It makes sense just not part of the rules. They just organised cheating =-)
derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2006, 09:56   #33
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

i like the XP formula,.. im a part time player, and im doing just fine with it Granted it adds more worth on having value,.. but you just have to realise that and ADAPT WITH THE BLOODY GAME!!!
every round is different in some way,.. (generally), you acknowledge the changes and adapt your style,.. or you moan and bitch on here about how it isn't how your playing, thus it's wrong,...

anywho,... i like it long time,
Unread 21 May 2006, 10:45   #34
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko
i like the XP formula,.. im a part time player, and im doing just fine with it Granted it adds more worth on having value,.. but you just have to realise that and ADAPT WITH THE BLOODY GAME!!!
every round is different in some way,.. (generally), you acknowledge the changes and adapt your style,.. or you moan and bitch on here about how it isn't how your playing, thus it's wrong,...

anywho,... i like it long time,
I think people did realize that value is a lot more important this round and therefore adapted to that situation (at least I did so), however, what was also reintroduced was the "lose your fleet once and you can just stop playing for a top spot"gameplay. I simply question if PA should be a game where no matter what you did all round long you can lose it in one single night, as that does actually **** up the gaming experience for a lot of people.
Unread 21 May 2006, 13:42   #35
XelNaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by derry
lol, looks like i'm not the only guy with this in his mind, alto i've been saying this since it was introduced
By far not, I've had talks many people with that view on IRC...they just cba to post on the forums .

Unread 21 May 2006, 14:02   #36
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
By far not, I've had talks many people with that view on IRC...they just cba to post on the forums .
Cool, I'm not the only one with imaginary friends
Unread 21 May 2006, 17:01   #37
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

XP: 23,689

This rd its shit
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2006, 17:10   #38
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Oh really?
Unread 21 May 2006, 18:43   #39
Ska
Waging a war on errorism

Ska has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I rather like the xp formua this round. I had a late start and had to be pretty inactive at the beginning due to rl issues. A couple weeks in, I was rank 2000 or so until I started playing harder...at which point xp allowed me to climb the ranks quite a bit faster (good target selection). Now I am still very behind in value, but my rank much better. Anyway the point of the story is that xp can still be used effectively, its just not the "determining factor" anymore.
Unread 21 May 2006, 18:50   #40
XelNaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I didn't know this was so important that I have to supply evidence and names...

Unread 21 May 2006, 18:55   #41
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I didn't know this was so important that I have to supply evidence and names...
Maybe you should start reading your memos.
Unread 22 May 2006, 14:39   #42
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've decided that this round while being politically shit is actually very shit in terms of how XP works. There is no encouragement whatsoever to attack up the food chain, hence the only way of playing is to put in excessive amounts of time which is hardly going to make the game 'accessible'. This round is massively defensive and unlike round 4 (which was horribly defensive) it won't be saved by exciting politics.

Value is the only option to play for and to me this round does not strike a 'balance', instead it pretty much gave in to the shortsighted whining hysteria of people who weren't clever enough to spot a different way of play. How you achieve this 'balance' I don't know at this time.

Their only valid point was that XP was far too beneficial and they weren't getting out what they put in. What they got was a game purely constructed for their benefit and one that made it crap for all those not at the top of the foodchain as all you can do is attack down, which is not an interesting way of playing and doesn't really offer any kind of challenge..

The difference is instead of crying about it and leaving, I'm going to argue on PD about it instead of going off on one.
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:10   #43
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Their only valid point was that XP was far too beneficial and they weren't getting out what they put in.
Not at all. What people failed to grok was that the problem was not the amount of XP a planet gained, it was the difference in gain between a planet gaining 4-8 XP per roid and a planet gaining 20 xp per roid. At worst it was a factor of 5, which doesn't sound like much, but it's a probable difference of 4 million score (or more!) which is a lot (for the record, it took ~16.5k XP to get 1m score under the old formula, that's ~850 roids if you're capping at 20 XP per, ~4.25k if you're capping at 4 XP per).

The problem is that the new formula combines elements of the old (rewarded for hitting upward) with diminishing returns (but only until your XP pushes your score past your target's) and a drastically decreased constant factor (from 10 to 5, but it's actually more like 2.5). This, combined with giving ~17% less score for XP, has made XP a very small factor on most players. However, the difference in gain has actually increased.
Unread 22 May 2006, 18:32   #44
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think you misunderstand. Plus I'm too stupid to think about complicated formulae so you kind of stumped me there. All I can talk about is cause and effect so bear with me.

The point is that they felt they weren't being rewarded for their effort and felt that value was no longer viable because XP was so much better and easier. I agree with them.

The rest of your post i agree with. Nowadays, the only real way to get lots of XP is simply to hit downwards and gain lots of roids. This is just helping out value more than is warranted. Really they should have just kept XP the way it was and not make the stats as beneficial towards the XP style of play as they were, as in my opinion, there was difficulty in races that weren't terran last round to get a big XP planet.

However, with the XP camp being generally reasonable people (yes, ad hominem but i don't give a shit) we were willing to try out a compromise rather than use what I believe was an eminently sensible suggestion.
Unread 22 May 2006, 18:47   #45
Banned
Banned

Yeah, we basically agree. Some of the phrasing in your original post threw me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Nowadays, the only real way to get lots of XP is simply to hit downwards and gain lots of roids. This is just helping out value more than is warranted.
Quite the contrary. The real way to gain lots of XP is to hit as large targets as possible. This works great for Terrans with huge DE fleets. If you hit downwards you'll gain ~1-2 XP per roid. Best case is 10k roids in a round, putting you at 20k XP at best. Whereas if you cap 4k at 5 XP per roid you get the same amount of XP. 5 XP per roid is doable if you're a Ter with a large DE fleet.

Quote:
Really they should have just kept XP the way it was and not make the stats as beneficial towards the XP style of play as they were, as in my opinion, there was difficulty in races that weren't terran last round to get a big XP planet.
No! That's what I was trying to say. The difference is the problem. The reward was disproportionately distributed.
Unread 22 May 2006, 22:02   #46
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

im hitting above me still,.. and gaining plenty of xp for it,.. when i can land that is
and i try to teach everyone joining F-crew to do the same when possible,..

by having a bit more focus on your value, it makes it possible to damage a big planets overall score enough,.. just that alliances don't seem to be trying to take down their rivals larger planets, and instead seem to want to get good cheep roids back for their own members. nothing wrong with this, but it only helps the ranking for the alliance, not for the individual as much, as your not taking out the opposition from above,...
Maybe i'm wrong, soon hear about it here if i am
Unread 23 May 2006, 10:15   #47
TheGoaT
Old Timer

TheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to behold

if you actively attack every night, theres no reason you couldnt be in the top100 right now regardless of skill or xp. Just dont be a noob and kill your fleet.
Round 19-20: Ascendancy
Round 21: Quit
Round 30: Ascendancy
Round 75-81: DLR
TheGoaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2006, 10:17   #48
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoaT
if you actively attack every night, theres no reason you couldnt be in the top100 right now regardless of skill or xp. Just dont be a noob and kill your fleet.
Ever heard of defence?

If you can't hold onto your roids then you won't make it into the top 100. You can be the greatest attacker in the world, but if you can't hold onto the roids you steal then it's just not possible.
Unread 23 May 2006, 10:17   #49
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoaT
What are you talking about you lunatic? Well more than one hundred people manage to attack every night, how the hell are they all going to fit in there?
Unread 23 May 2006, 13:13   #50
TheGoaT
Old Timer

TheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Ever heard of defence?

If you can't hold onto your roids then you won't make it into the top 100. You can be the greatest attacker in the world, but if you can't hold onto the roids you steal then it's just not possible.
"most" ppl do not lose roids every single night. If you get only marginal defense, you should still be able to roid more than your losses.
Round 19-20: Ascendancy
Round 21: Quit
Round 30: Ascendancy
Round 75-81: DLR
TheGoaT is offline   Reply With Quote