User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 9 Sep 2005, 12:31   #1
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Comparing Fury/Legion with current alliances ...

Is wrong. And I will explain you all why it is "according to me". Mind you that I'm bored at work ...

PA warfare and it's history is very comparable with world history. You could say that alliances like Fury and Legion were the Greeks and Romans of our old age. Alliances such as 1up, ND, LCH, Angels are more comparable with our current countries *(USA, Iraq, Serbia, Israel, ...)

Claiming USA or Iraq would be unable to beat the old Greeks or Romans is pure nonsence and pointless. Both happen in a different timeline and in a different world situation etc. While the Romans conquered half Europe and had over hundreds of thousands of soldiers, the US and iraq nowadays only need a few thousands of soldiers to fight their wars.

In PA we can notice the same. Fury and Legion had about 10 times more troops in a universe with about 10-20 times more planets. also in PA, in the early rounds ... there was a wider variety of possible strategies. Everyone had the same range of ship, it was upto the alliance/planet to decide what technologies to use etc. Nowadays, each nation/race in PA has it's own specified abilities and characteristics.

This again is comparable with what we see in our own history. The Romans won their battles on strategy, America wins their battles on technology. Nowadays if you got the better gear, more advanced bombs and more advanced intel, you win. In the old ages, there ofc was a difference in technology but both the Romans as the Gauls used swords and shields, the difference didn't determine the end result asmuch as it does nowadays.

AD and propaganda is another issue you can compare. In the earlier rounds, PR didn't have asmuch an impact as it has now. It was also alot less focussed on in the early rounds. You could say that Fury/Legion had a step forward compared to the rest when it came to PR.
These rounds, every alliance uses PR and knows the importance of it.

Again (this is getting boring) we can compare this with our current and old warfare. The Romans were more advanced in communication (PR) then for instance the Gauls or other "rebel" groups. Yet nowadays, PR decides everything. Facts are no longer important ...

And I could make some other comparisons etc but I think you'll catch my drift. You cannot compare Fury with any current alliance. You cannot claim it was better or worse, there is absolutely NOTHING you can base such claims on.
Yet every round, again and again, pple want to compare alliances. And pple will continue doing that, but I for one consider Fury/Legion as history and they mean no more then a reference as how PA was played in the earlier rounds.

In 10 rounds, if 1up no longer exists (IF) then they'll be no more then a reference how pple played PA in r11-rX.

In school we learn about the Romans etc aswell. Pple joining PA will at some point learn it's history and will understand what a power Fury was back in the early rounds. But that's all Fury will mean, just as that's all what the Romans mean ....

Plz share your opinion on this, if you disagree then let me know but plz do put abit effort in your reply

* Mind you that I'm just using these countries cause in recent decade, these countries were involved in wars.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 12:35   #2
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

SteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to behold
Re: Comparing Fury/Legion with current alliances ...

Thumbs up for you!

Proud to be Newdawn
SteInMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 12:39   #3
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

SteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
when i was kid, i used to fantasize about how great i would be in ancient times with a machine gun.
those were the days....
Who didnt, possible after you had seen terminator or such?

Proud to be Newdawn
SteInMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 12:43   #4
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you must've been bored

An interesting read, but I don't know what to say in reply

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 12:47   #5
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
Wow, you must've been bored

An interesting read, but I don't know what to say in reply
It's that or analysing data today ... my choice was made up pretty quick

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 Sep 2005, 13:27   #6
sigrid
hated dead or alive

sigrid is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish i could make a reply that actually makes sence (wich is hard enuff for me) but i dont know any current alliances

Tho it seems to me you cant compare the 2 games even, this PA to me seems quite a different game then the one i left
sigrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 13:31   #7
RiXX
pr0nman

RiXX can only hope to improve

However the current alliances are the inheritors of the attitudes and actions of the previous ones, albeit under different names or forms in some cases. Whilst I don't agree with the "sins of the father" attitude that goes around PA a lot, an ally in its most basic form is a grouping of people. The alliances may change, as may the way in which the game is played, but in the short space of time that PA has been running the people who compose it may not.

r7 - noob | r12 - VsN | r13 - VsN | r14 - NewDawn | r15 - InSomnia | r16 - SiN | r17 - InSomnia
RiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 14:02   #8
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

But could it be argued that Fury evolved into Eclipse the same way that the Roman Empire eventually was beaten back before rallying for another 1000 years as the Byzantine Empire?

Not sure where this would leave 1up though

ps this post is not to be taken seriously
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 14:17   #9
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXX
However the current alliances are the inheritors of the attitudes and actions of the previous ones, albeit under different names or forms in some cases. Whilst I don't agree with the "sins of the father" attitude that goes around PA a lot, an ally in its most basic form is a grouping of people. The alliances may change, as may the way in which the game is played, but in the short space of time that PA has been running the people who compose it may not.
Yes, but can't we claim the same about human kind? Didn't we inherit the additudes and actions of our ancesters?

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 Sep 2005, 14:24   #10
[i2k]Xy
Why so serious?

[i2k]Xy is a jewel in the rough[i2k]Xy is a jewel in the rough[i2k]Xy is a jewel in the rough[i2k]Xy is a jewel in the rough

you're getting philosophical, plato, uh, kjel!

4S

Illuminati
[i2k]Xy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 14:27   #11
RiXX
pr0nman

RiXX can only hope to improve

Man, I've got two weeks before I go back to uni. Don't make me think about that :/

r7 - noob | r12 - VsN | r13 - VsN | r14 - NewDawn | r15 - InSomnia | r16 - SiN | r17 - InSomnia
RiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 16:54   #12
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold

You are saying that you can not compare Fury with 1up but at the same time you are comparing PA history with world history??

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 17:28   #13
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by laputa
You are saying that you can not compare Fury with 1up but at the same time you are comparing PA history with world history??
Yes that's what I'm doing and your point being? Becides, I'm not comparing both, I'm just saying it's applicable on eachother. I don't get your point here ...

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 Sep 2005, 17:40   #14
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
Yes that's what I'm doing and your point being? Becides, I'm not comparing both, I'm just saying it's applicable on eachother. I don't get your point here ...
I dont believe its applicable as:

Like you said,
-Fury/Legion had the numbers where as todays alliances do not.
-Roman/greek, etc had less numbers then todays superpowers.

The technology that leads to being a superpower in todays real world would cause the annihlation of the romans or greeks, where as the mass numbers of legion and fury would annihalate todays alliances.
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 17:48   #15
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
PA warfare and it's history is very comparable with world history
Quote:
Becides, I'm not comparing both, I'm just saying it's applicable on eachother.

Quote:
I don't get your point here ...
My point is that a comparison between one browser game alliance and another, which, in at least one case, even has similar people in charge is something you actually could achieve while bored at work. A comparison of world history with the evolution of PA so far, however, is something that needs a bit more thought than the five minutes you put in.

Unread 9 Sep 2005, 18:17   #16
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:

My point is that a comparison between one browser game alliance and another, which, in at least one case, even has similar people in charge is something you actually could achieve while bored at work. A comparison of world history with the evolution of PA so far, however, is something that needs a bit more thought than the five minutes you put in.
Ohh I'm sorry if I offended you ohh great wise one ... get off yer high horse ok ... I got bored, thought about how pple keep saying "no alliance beats Fury" and then looked at the position Fury has/had in PA is the same as the Romans had in Europe. Now, I'm SURE that you can name me 51034654654615654 cases in which both things do not apply to eachother ... frankly I don't give a fk about that.

My point is that there ARE stuff you can apply on both, and I did that, just to prove my point that you cannot compare Fury with e.g. ND while you cannot compare the Romans with ... USA.

Don't reply just to be picky on some details, reply if ya wanna discuss it rather then insulting me cuz you think my post is worth 5 mins of my time.

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 Sep 2005, 18:23   #17
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor
I dont believe its applicable as:

Like you said,
-Fury/Legion had the numbers where as todays alliances do not.
-Roman/greek, etc had less numbers then todays superpowers.

The technology that leads to being a superpower in todays real world would cause the annihlation of the romans or greeks, where as the mass numbers of legion and fury would annihalate todays alliances.
figures that you wouldn't agree but beat me up for trying to reply ...

Greeks and romans had like ALOT more soldiers then America had. They fought SEVERAL battles all around Europe, some even over a hundred of thousand of soldiers. Imagine what percentage of their population was a soldier (I assume allmost every male) ...

What do Americans need to win a war? 10 airplanes and a few bombs, nothing more (as a matter of speech).

And that last post again proves how you cannot compare Fury with a current alliance just as you can't compare the romans with a current army.

What I told Laputa applies here aswell, I'm sure you could fine examples why it wouldn't apply (cause this is after all just a game) ... but me comparying PA with world history was NOT the point of this thread and I think you know that.

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 Sep 2005, 18:57   #18
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I think the sheer size of the Roman army was one of the reasons for its decline. Able-bodied men spent so little time at home, doing normal jobs like farming etc that the empire began to decline economically and culturally even before they came under attack.

The roman empire was pretty big. It wasn't just the Legions, there were also local garrisons all over the empire who's job was defense.

Actually, I'm wondering why Fury ended. I can't remember anymore
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 19:10   #19
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

Quote:
figures that you wouldn't agree but beat me up for trying to reply ...

Greeks and romans had like ALOT more soldiers then America had. They fought SEVERAL battles all around Europe, some even over a hundred of thousand of soldiers. Imagine what percentage of their population was a soldier (I assume allmost every male) ...

8,744,000 American service personnel served in Vietnam between August 1964 - January 1973.

Quote:
What do Americans need to win a war? 10 airplanes and a few bombs, nothing more (as a matter of speech).
When was the last war that america "won". Korea?

Quote:
And that last post again proves how you cannot compare Fury with a current alliance just as you can't compare the romans with a current army.
I think if you added active members to 1up, to the same numbers that fury/legion had, I do believe they would be able to compete and win in the old days.
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 19:21   #20
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
PA warfare and it's history is very comparable with world history. You could say that alliances like Fury and Legion were the Greeks and Romans of our old age. Alliances such as 1up, ND, LCH, Angels are more comparable with our current countries *(USA, Iraq, Serbia, Israel, ...)

Claiming USA or Iraq would be unable to beat the old Greeks or Romans is pure nonsence and pointless. Both happen in a different timeline and in a different world situation etc. While the Romans conquered half Europe and had over hundreds of thousands of soldiers, the US and iraq nowadays only need a few thousands of soldiers to fight their wars.
Your anology strikes me as rather strange. Firstly the Greeks didnt have much of an army, it was the Romans that did all the conquering but that doesnt really matter. Things are vastly different in wars these days, that much i agree on. I'm not too sure about your reference to numbers though. The US has a pretty huge army, in fact they win wars because they vastly out power enemies in terms of both weapons and numbers.

I seem to be losing my train of though here while i ramble on, so let me get back to my point. Technology has moved on since the Roman times, so yes i agree you cant compareheir army to a modern one. However, PA hasnt moved on that much has it? You still fight with similar ships, yes te stats change bu its not like you now fight with nuclear weapons. We as humas havent evolved that much in the last 5 years, we still have the same kind of idea generating skills to form strategies, websites, private IRC thingies (technical term) etc.

Back in the day Legion/Fury had a few hundred members, 500 tops i would imagine in a universe of 25k active plnets maybe - thats 2%. Now the top alliances have 90 members or so in a universe of 3k active planets - thats 3%. Pretty much no difference, so claiming that you cant compare the alliaces because of size differences seems irrelevent to me.

Quote:
Nowadays if you got the better gear, more advanced bombs and more advanced intel, you win. In the old ages, there ofc was a difference in technology but both the Romans as the Gauls used swords and shields, the difference didn't determine the end result asmuch as it does nowadays.
Once again the analogy confuses me. In todays world we dont fight fair wars. America go in to wars knowing they have the better firepower and so will win. In PA everyone has the same resources, or the same ability to create those resources. You are fighting on an equal playing field in all areas apart from numbers, experiece and activity. Those factors have not changed over the rounds. It is these attributes mainly that decide how good an alliance will be and seeing as these havent changed it should be possible to compare alliances from one round to another. Legion and Fury dominated for many rounds due to their very active and experienced membes who could defeat any opposition. Has any alliance since that done the same?
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 21:32   #21
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
but it's the same generation of players playing now.
Its just the game mechanics that changed, while they are different in some ways, they are still hugely similar to the original game (i.e. that the basic concept is still based around defending/attacking and holding roids on an hourly tick based internet game)

a generation is 10 years .. so yes it would be the same players .. only they are older.. we'd hope wiser and less likely to get excited .. cos tho formats and alliances change .. the same things happen.

someone shoot me i have to agree with kargool ...
its warring tribes ... as the tribesmen have gotten older .. some fallen in battle .. new warriors have replaced them, new tribes have appeared on the horizon .. others have slunk off to old tribes home where they can relive their old battles and sit and compare battle scars ( come on .. we all know what game i'm talking about )

to compare tribes now to then .. is like comparing knights to modern soldiers .. the sense of camaraderie still there ..the weapons are different .. the tools and tactics used now would make a knight scream witchcraft and attempt to burn anyone using em .. some of the underhanded tactics used in early rounds would result in a riot ... ( if yer been here long enough u will know what i'm talking about )

the cave man was the pinicle of his time .. so the the knight in armour .. as is now the guy with the shoulder held missile launcher, if your going to take each one and compare them then u cant do it on tools and tech.. to be fair you have to take each within its frame and set a skills and application benchmark for each one to made a true judgement
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 21:44   #22
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I

i think the usa used 100k soldiers when they conquered the iraq plus like 20 to 30 k brits.

correct me if im wrong.
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 22:41   #23
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legator
i think the usa used 100k soldiers when they conquered the iraq plus like 20 to 30 k brits.

correct me if im wrong.
100k soldiers of 266 million citizens ... that's less then 0.4% of their total population. During the romans, I'd say atleast 10-15% of the entire population fought in those wars.

In those times, their lives were all about wars. To conquer etc was the most important goal of an empire. Politics weren't involved in those roman wars. It was like "surrender or die" in most of the battles.

In the early rounds, the huge blocks didn't rely on politics either, they just went for whatever then wanted to take.

In the most recent wars, politics is what drives them. The wars are just a tool to enforce their politics or to protect their politics (attacking Iraq to make sure the oil is safe?) ...
In the last few rounds, alliances don't just attack whoever they feel like. No, they simply cannot afford that anymore. They need to think very carefully when chosing who to fight, trying to make sure it doesn't burn their bridges and any chance on the victory.

Behe, I'm talking about current warfare. I'm away that in WWII there have been millions of soldiers aswell but if you just simply look at the wars the last couple of years ... the US can practically conquer a country without setting a single foot in the country itself.

Nway, like I told earlier there are tons of flaws in the analogy ... yet that wasn't the point of this thread and as someone already mentionned, I just wanted to post something different to discuss about, something not related to "ohh reunion should drop the nap with 1up" or " let's all gang on 1up" kinda posts.

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 Sep 2005, 23:17   #24
Fyodor
Behe

Quote:
Behe, I'm talking about current warfare. I'm away that in WWII there have been millions of soldiers aswell but if you just simply look at the wars the last couple of years ... the US can practically conquer a country without setting a single foot in the country itself.

I really dont believe any of the most recent "wars" can really be considered "wars" I think the term "occupation" is better deserved. Considering the fact that Iraq had been decimated by its attempt to invade kuwait, and still had not recovered when the us decided to occupy the country, i cant consider this a valid comparison.

Anyway. What it comes down to is the romans fighting technique involved, spears, horses, swords, formations and maybe a few trebuchets (not sure if these had been invented yet)

One of the most decicive weapons listed above is the formation/training.

In todays warfare, you bomb the hell out of them from the air, after enough of that, you roll in with tanks and shoot anything that moves. Then you send in the infrantry to secure the area.

In PA's earlier years, you attacked with virtual space ships, stole juicy roids, fleet caught people and made political naps with other alliances. I dont think the playing feild has changed all to dramatically.

So i dont think that the comparison is relative.

As I said before, If 1up had the same number of players as the yester year giants, I believe their command team is of a high enough caliber to have been able to compete and excel as they are still fighting with similar weapons.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 00:29   #25
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

Kj the thing is, when you refer to USA attacking Iraq, its the same as a top 5 alliance declaring war on a top 30 alliance.

They can get away with it simply because they have the wealth and weaponry to outclass their opponents, and that if they did it to a stronger such as a european power, then they would likely end up at war with most of europe for instance.

Yes it takes less troops these days. but thats because they are not attacking an equal opponent.

It would be like a Battlegroup attacking an entire alliance and having a combined score within the BG that is like 2-3 times that of the entire alliance.

But yes, if you look at the overall amount of "high" quality players in PA it is almost exactly the same as it has been for the past 10-12 rounds, the only real difference is that the padding layers have all got bored and left.

So to put things in order as you want it, in varying timezones, You would need to arm the groups with the same weaponry and such to make it an equal footing.

In which case then most of the current alliances would be outnumbered 4:1 and would be trounced back and forth over a barrel, by Xanadu, Legion or Fury, and possible even Cell(r4) or NoS(r4) because the sheer weight of numbers and the simple fact that most of the players were as active then as the current players. Hell tbh most of them were probably more active than the current players (how many people lost jobs because of this game in the old days)

Could the old groups beat the new ones? as long as they were playing on a level playing field, then there is very little chance for any of the current groups due to the size constraints. and dont give me any Quality>Quantity crap, as that only counts if you are an smaller, more active group fighting a large inactive group. Old vs New would not be like that, because as most pf you know, activity was very high back in the day, probably the same proportion of members online as the current alliances.

Sorry for the long post, i was bored.... ;-)
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 04:29   #26
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Back then, the biggest blocks were Spain and Portugal. Now, it's hurricane Katrina and the ****ing gas prices.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 07:53   #27
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Mind you that I'm bored at work ...[/i]
Wonder if your boss can read what youve wrote, and how sad he would think you are if he does.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 10:51   #28
laputa
Xanadu

Quote:
pple keep saying "no alliance beats Fury"
Who actually says that? This thread and your replies leave me with the impression that you sat bored in front of your PC and thought something along the lines of

"Hmmm...Could today's Angels maybe beat the former Fury? I wonder...Oh, alas, no! Because it was in a different time period!!! Yes, like the Romans and the Americans!!! Maybe I should start a thread on AD about it and tell people about my cunning conclusion..."

Unread 10 Sep 2005, 11:55   #29
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05
Wonder if your boss can read what youve wrote, and how sad he would think you are if he does.
Heh, I hope not cause he's paying ****loads to the company I work for since I'm a consultant at his firm

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Sep 2005, 11:57   #30
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Who actually says that? This thread and your replies leave me with the impression that you sat bored in front of your PC and thought something along the lines of

"Hmmm...Could today's Angels maybe beat the former Fury? I wonder...Oh, alas, no! Because it was in a different time period!!! Yes, like the Romans and the Americans!!! Maybe I should start a thread on AD about it and tell people about my cunning conclusion..."
I guess you've got a selective memory then. Whenever a comparison comes up, the general reply is "no Fury would just own you and that's it".

Nway, I asked for a nice discussion, not some bitchslapping insult session ...

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Sep 2005, 11:59   #31
Neferti
part time ghost

By the way, kj, in your first post were you comparing 1up to USA and ND to Iraq? Just wondering why you think ND is like Iraq if that's the case.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 12:01   #32
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Because either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 12:28   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
By the way, kj, in your first post were you comparing 1up to USA and ND to Iraq? Just wondering why you think ND is like Iraq if that's the case.
The oft-mentioned rebuilding process I'd imagine. Of course it could be the fact that 1up is fighting a battle they're comfortably winning (I think) against ND. Either way they contradict each other so I'm not really too sure. It's rare that analogies are much use beyond the initial line of "I think x is like y because of z".
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 12:32   #34
[i2k]Xy
Why so serious?

[i2k]Xy is a jewel in the rough[i2k]Xy is a jewel in the rough[i2k]Xy is a jewel in the rough[i2k]Xy is a jewel in the rough

Aren't there roughly 296 million americans, as opposed to kjel's 266?

*pedantric*

4S

Illuminati
[i2k]Xy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 12:35   #35
Virall
The Scareh Clown

Virall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Is wrong. And I will explain you all why it is "according to me". Mind you that I'm bored at work ...

In PA we can notice the same. Fury and Legion had about 10 times more troops in a universe with about 10-20 times more planets. also in PA, in the early rounds ... there was a wider variety of possible strategies. Everyone had the same range of ship, it was upto the alliance/planet to decide what technologies to use etc. Nowadays, each nation/race in PA has it's own specified abilities and characteristics.

This again is comparable with what we see in our own history. The Romans won their battles on strategy, America wins their battles on technology. Nowadays if you got the better gear, more advanced bombs and more advanced intel, you win. In the old ages, there ofc was a difference in technology but both the Romans as the Gauls used swords and shields, the difference didn't determine the end result asmuch as it does nowadays.

AD and propaganda is another issue you can compare. In the earlier rounds, PR didn't have asmuch an impact as it has now. It was also alot less focussed on in the early rounds. You could say that Fury/Legion had a step forward compared to the rest when it came to PR.
These rounds, every alliance uses PR and knows the importance of it.

Again (this is getting boring) we can compare this with our current and old warfare. The Romans were more advanced in communication (PR) then for instance the Gauls or other "rebel" groups. Yet nowadays, PR decides everything. Facts are no longer important ...

And I could make some other comparisons etc but I think you'll catch my drift. You cannot compare Fury with any current alliance. You cannot claim it was better or worse, there is absolutely NOTHING you can base such claims on.
Yet every round, again and again, pple want to compare alliances. And pple will continue doing that, but I for one consider Fury/Legion as history and they mean no more then a reference as how PA was played in the earlier rounds.

In 10 rounds, if 1up no longer exists (IF) then they'll be no more then a reference how pple played PA in r11-rX.

In school we learn about the Romans etc aswell. Pple joining PA will at some point learn it's history and will understand what a power Fury was back in the early rounds. But that's all Fury will mean, just as that's all what the Romans mean ....

Plz share your opinion on this, if you disagree then let me know but plz do put abit effort in your reply

* Mind you that I'm just using these countries cause in recent decade, these countries were involved in wars.

Yes, but are Fury/Legion as good as 1up?

(Just joking, it was an interesting read)
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 14:23   #36
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by [i2k]Xy

*pedantric*
God damnit m8 ... it's not like I google each day to know the fking exact numbers ... such pointless details ...

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Sep 2005, 14:44   #37
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

lol demiGOD.

Another factor that is worth including was the rampant cheating of the earlier rounds.

(thats just a paranoid flamebait on my part btw, dont read into it too much;D)
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 14:44   #38
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

the comparision of 1up with USA and ND with Iraq is just as good as - 1up is Coca Cola and ND is Pepsi Cola ... or whatever. i think there is a lot of interpretation needed to follow ur analogies - fantasy even

well i dont mind as long as nobody gets hurt - give me a good read and i am happy! and in the end it is just AD

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 15:38   #39
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Your anology strikes me as rather strange. Firstly the Greeks didnt have much of an army, it was the Romans that did all the conquering but that doesnt really matter.
Ever heard of Alexander the Great?

He was greek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor
8,744,000 American service personnel served in Vietnam between August 1964 - January 1973.
You've taken that statistic out of context. How many were active at one time, not across (nearly) a decade.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 15:55   #40
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Guys, let's just take this anology in as it is, and not pick it appart. Besides some obvious flaws it's obvious Kj spent some time thinking on this, and I agree on what he's trying to say there.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 16:04   #41
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupp
well i dont mind as long as nobody gets hurt - give me a good read and i am happy! and in the end it is just AD
And that's the entire point of this thread, to have a nice discussion about it. Though some pple feel insulted and need to bring up all their history books to prove me wrong on little details (while I already admitted my analogy has asmuch flaws as it has good points)

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Sep 2005, 17:09   #42
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by [i2k]Xy

*pedantric*
*Pedantic

Good read kj, nice too see someone still put a bit of effort into what they post
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 17:10   #43
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
Ever heard of Alexander the Great?

He was greek.

In there was an ancient greece in PA it would have probably been Xanadu, (Greece was made up of many different city states) which would be reminiscent of Xanadu's Wings and Battlegroups..

Hmm I wonder who would be the Huns? probably the original WolfPack
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 17:58   #44
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Alexander the Great was Macedonian.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 18:28   #45
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

It was a good read Kjel.

To bad many people in PA can wank it pretty good, and ruin an entertaining thread.
coffee- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 18:43   #46
Neferti
part time ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Alexander the Great was Macedonian.
The Macedonians were Greek. Like the Spartans and Athenians etc.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 18:47   #47
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
The Macedonians were Greek. Like the Spartans and Athenians etc.
Actually, they were Macedonian. Sort of like a Macedon but with more Ians.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 20:57   #48
Rocklobster[Dok]
Victuri te Salutant

Rocklobster[Dok] is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigrid
I wish i could make a reply that actually makes sence (wich is hard enuff for me) but i dont know any current alliances

Tho it seems to me you cant compare the 2 games even, this PA to me seems quite a different game then the one i left
Lo Sigrid!

-Rock

Rock

A regular day on the lego server:
<Alf> We are Gren's bitches.. we should be proud to hump his legs
<Alf> wanna swap legs Nexus?
<Alf> This leg of Gren is smooth.. but I like some hair now
<Nexus> sure m8
<Nexus> i want the shaven now
Rocklobster[Dok] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 21:00   #49
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee-

To bad many people in PA can wank it pretty good, and ruin an entertaining thread.
Sad but true

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Sep 2005, 21:03   #50
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

threads like this die easily when the creator agrees that his arguments are not really good :-p
a real discussion comes only up if you have a polarisation on 2 sides ... here it is : ty Kj for a nice thread - but somehow it's all very in the shadows

what have we learned from this ?
nothing again i guess

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote