User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 9 Jan 2005, 16:50   #1
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Unhappy [work :( ]So you recall that 'my work is ringing me thread' ?

So I get back from holiday, to find a letter from my work.

Due to my phones being off for 2 days,on days on which i was on holiday, I am required to attend a 'disciplinary' hearing on monday morning, with a view to them firing me for gross misconduct (so that they don't have to wait 30 days for me to leave, presumably).

my points are going to be as follows.

Quote:
-I was out of the country from the evening of the 29th, and both of my phones were left at home since I knew they wouldn't work abroad and my personal one was out of power in any case. I made certain that [my boss] was aware of the dates of my holiday, but whether he passed this information on to [director] I do not know. Because of this, neither my personal phone nor the support phone was in my possession, and I therefore I was not contactable by yourselves. Since as far as I am aware I had informed the necessary people of the dates that I was away, I am perplexed as to why I was expected to be contactable from this date onwards.

Only when I returned home late on Sunday (9th Jan) and recharged both phones was I aware of any attempt to contact me, and by that time I had received the letter with notice of this meeting.

-The only days for which I was aware I was on call over the Xmas period where Christmas Eve and Christmas day. This was as agreed with [my boss] verbally.
No written agreement or confirmation of this has ever been given to me.

-Never have I had anything in writing to which I have agreed stating that I have to be on call 24/7. My contract does not state this, nor does it state any agreement for working on holidays or out of normal hours.
Furthermore my contract states that after 3 months of employment a review of my pay and performance would be held on the 29th of November , and this has not yet happened, nor have I been given any information as to when it will happen. This would seem to be breach of contract by the company.

-It is not, insofar as I am or have ever been aware, my responsibility to ensure adequate out of hours cover for our IT services. Recent discussions involving myself, [director], and outside parties providing IT support gave me the impression that there was a procedure in place for when I was not contactable.

I recall one conversation in particular with [director] in which he noted that the result of recent meetings with the outside suppliers was at least 'numbers to call' if I was not available. I do not know whether he did call any of those persons during the incident referred to.

-If further dispute of your point of view is necessary, I would point out that I have always been dedicated to my job, that I am almost always early in to work, and frequently have stayed late out of hours to fix things or to finish work for clients. I have even been on my way home and come back in to ensure that we delivered work to clients as promised.

Given this, I would argue that the alleged intentional 'failure to respond' is totally out of character, and not in keeping with the dedication and commitment that I have shown to my job so far. Had I been in a position where I was able to respond, I would have done everything within my power to do so, as I have done on every previous occasion where out of hours work to fix problems has been required.
but either way i'm not looking forward to this meeting :/
Has anyone ever had one, or got any ideas on what else i can say ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 17:04   #2
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
Re: [work :( ]So you recall that 'my work is ringing me thread' ?

Don't put up with that shit I say!
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 17:21   #3
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

As long as you're sure there's nothing in your contract stating that you had to be on call then they haven't a leg to stand on.

Its probably a case of 'something went tits-up and whoevers' fault it is is trying to shift it on to you'.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 17:36   #4
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Challenge them to a breakdancing contest. Winner takes all.

What do you work as, sorry?
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 17:47   #5
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

an isp, no?
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 17:52   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

kinda.

im a systems administrator for a company that provides web hosting etc to clients, as well as making their sites and stuff.
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 17:52   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalon
As long as you're sure there's nothing in your contract stating that you had to be on call then they haven't a leg to stand on.

Its probably a case of 'something went tits-up and whoevers' fault it is is trying to shift it on to you'.
there is not. my contract is abotu 4 lines long.
I have however lost my copy
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 18:16   #8
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Go NB3, go!
Power to the people.

Although you do deserve a slap for losing your contract

Wasn't it Rids who had a disciplinary and won?

Anyway, keep us informed etc.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 18:54   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: [work :( ]So you recall that 'my work is ringing me thread' ?

Regardless of how it turns out, I'd suggest looking for a new job.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 19:02   #10
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

ouch... i think you should be able to win this one, but i agree with tact. sounds like someone else ****ed up and is blaming you. now either it will just be this incident, or this person doens't like you and this is the first of many attempts to get you fired :\
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 19:09   #11
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Regardless of how it turns out, I'd suggest looking for a new job.
already applied for about 17 today.

trouble is, don't know when my start date could be , cos its either 4 weeks or 1 day :/
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 19:37   #12
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd suggest 4 weeks, or at least you will get 4 weeks pay.
I'd also say it's worth fighting for, even if you get a new job lined up, because it's not the best thing to have in your career - a failed disciplinary.
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 19:49   #13
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

indeed, I plan on fighting for my job, which i'll resign from as soon as I get back
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 19:51   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If they do sack you, then say you're going to sue them for wrongful dismissal for £5M just to put the shits up them.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 20:47   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I would say that you don't have a leg to stand on.

Not only were you NOT out of the country on the 29th (you posted on this very board in a thread on this topic at nearly midnight), but you also said you were turning both phones off to stop work calling you.

Finally, you said your contract said that 'some out of hours work may be necessary'. This implies that it is necessary for you to go to some out of hours work, not stick your fingers in your ears.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 20:57   #16
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

'out of hours' doesn't mean holiday periods it means outside of normal office time when you're working, or thats what i thought anyway
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 21:13   #17
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

whats the point of holidays if companies can just ask you to work on them ?
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 21:45   #18
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Finally, you said your contract said that 'some out of hours work may be necessary'. This implies that it is necessary for you to go to some out of hours work, not stick your fingers in your ears.
Surely seeing as he's informed them beforehand that he would not be contactable during a certain period of time they cannot expect to be have been able to contact him? If this director did it was clearly the fault of his manager who (I assume) gets paid to have the responsibility of making sure the correct people have such information. He can't be on call every minute he isn't in work, otherwise the whole idea of time off becomes a bit silly.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 21:56   #19
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

NB3 has prolly missed something essential in all this time which will probably see him dismissed for gross misconduct and him being pissed off and depressed again on the forums for the next couple of months.

Your boss probably just lost a very important client due to your absence that possibly made up 20% or more of the revenue of your company... so even if they didn't sack you for gross misconduct they'll prolly sack you for something anyway.

You'd think in the frail business world of IT you'd be a little more careful about the long term security of the company you work for and the chance you not being available when you shouldn't have to be could bury them.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 21:57   #20
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

oi are you a boy or a girl

edit emb not sunday
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 22:05   #21
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

He's a boy.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 22:07   #22
Embroglio

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

he'll lose interest in me now, thanks
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 22:25   #23
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
NB3 has prolly missed something essential in all this time which will probably see him dismissed for gross misconduct and him being pissed off and depressed again on the forums for the next couple of months.

Your boss probably just lost a very important client due to your absence that possibly made up 20% or more of the revenue of your company... so even if they didn't sack you for gross misconduct they'll prolly sack you for something anyway.
probably. though I don't have time to be angry and depressed again.

I doubt that it lost any major businessm, the only clients that were affected were standard webhosting, and they make sod all (like 20 quid a month) compared to the 4/5 figure sums a month we take from advertising + pr for some clients.

Quote:
You'd think in the frail business world of IT you'd be a little more careful about the long term security of the company you work for and the chance you not being available when you shouldn't have to be could bury them.
uh-huh
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 11:21   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
Surely seeing as he's informed them beforehand that he would not be contactable during a certain period of time they cannot expect to be have been able to contact him? If this director did it was clearly the fault of his manager who (I assume) gets paid to have the responsibility of making sure the correct people have such information. He can't be on call every minute he isn't in work, otherwise the whole idea of time off becomes a bit silly.
He didn't mention this in the last thread on it, so I assumed it was a lie, as there are other inconsistencies in this thread to make him look better.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 12:23   #25
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

If you had gone through all proper channels to book the time off then you should simply state that fact and not waffle on about 'i was out of hte country, 24/7 on call, contracts' etc
then hand in your notice due to their lack of respect for your work life balance and mismanagement of the service

If you were skiving and knew they would want to contact you then i would say sorry a lot and say you misunderstood that you had to book holiday from on call seperately from annual leave (or what ever fits right) say it wont happen again and hopefully keep your job
then hand in your notice due to their lack of respect for your work life balance
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 12:30   #26
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Waiting anxiously to hear you report back enby...

And yes it is grossly unfair to expect you to come in whilst on paid leave... and I'd think it would be possible to argue that it is illegal, since you are legally entitled to <X> days of paid leave per annum, and it doesn't count as leave if they've dragged you into the office anyway.
On top of that, you also effectively lose that day of leave unless they credit it back to you - and seeing as your employers appear to be ****wits, I don't think that's likely.

Good luck anyway.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 13:16   #27
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quit and sue them for constructive dismissal.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 13:26   #28
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

It appears MrL and Sunday were right.

So i have been dismissed for gross misconduct.

Work believe that I ignored them whilst knowing they had a major client affecting problem.

I know that i should appeal, but i also know that i don't want too, i just want to find another less shit job.

My plan for today is to go buy lots of cheap food, and then find some way to pay the rent that is due in 3 weeks.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 13:31   #29
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

If you don't appeal (or go to an industrial tribunal) you'll have the fact that you were dismissed for gross misconduct haunting you whenever you apply for another job.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 13:36   #30
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Appeal just for the money.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 13:36   #31
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Indeed.

And if i appeal and lose, which is very likely, i'll have the same thing.

Besides, I can always say work dismissed me because i wouldnt work on my holiday days, which is true.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 13:37   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
Work believe that I ignored them whilst knowing they had a major client affecting problem.
Why shouldn't they? All respect to you, but it's perfectly true that you ignored them.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 13:39   #33
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice

You need to fight them over this, you do have some rights

(At least in Sweden you do, my experience from work in the UK is pretty shitty)
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 13:39   #34
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Maybe his employers read GD
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 13:39   #35
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Why shouldn't they? All respect to you, but it's perfectly true that you ignored them.
I never said they shouldn't, and it is perfectly true that I ignored them.

wheres your point ?
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 13:41   #36
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
I never said they shouldn't, and it is perfectly true that I ignored them.

wheres your point ?
Quote:
Because of this, neither my personal phone nor the support phone was in my possession, and I therefore I was not contactable by yourselves.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 14:57   #37
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Maybe his employers read GD
Or Sunday told them.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 16:02   #38
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Contact your union and sue them.

Its your holiday, when your on holiday, they can f*** themselfs. Its their responsibilty to provide cover for you.
Just becouse their shit, doesnt mean they can fire you at will.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 16:05   #39
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

shitty dude :\
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 16:33   #40
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think you're insane if you don't try to fight it... yes you did ignore them, but it was on your holiday and you're entitled to be left alone when on paid leave. Plus you'd told them you'd be unavailable.

Get them before an industrial tribunal 1ncleh!
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 18:30   #41
Stew
Made of Twigs

At least threaten a tribunal.
Maybe then you can come to some sort of agreement.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 18:37   #42
Embroglio

wouldn't he have to prove he was out of the country during this tribunal?
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 18:47   #43
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

I was at that dismissal hearing, the only reason we sacked him is cos he smells
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 19:02   #44
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
At least threaten a tribunal.
Maybe then you can come to some sort of agreement.

'the win'

however, you were there less than 2 years, so... were you on a temporary or a permanent contract?
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 20:25   #45
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan
I was at that dismissal hearing, the only reason we sacked him is cos he smells
You set a pretty high bar for sysadmins.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote