User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 13 Nov 2005, 16:16   #1
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society
Thumbs up Galaxy Setup ftw?

Since we always have this discussiong about how the gal setup should be before every round
and how big the buddypacks should be etc etc
I would like to evaluate a bit mid round.

Is the current galaxy system a succes or not?

I think it is..
I got 3 unpaids to upgrade and play this round on their owns strenght, without pushing them or offering credits
They were just glad to be in an organized gal
And I expect to get more of those happy free people ingal
Besides that, I just enjoy being with so many friends ingal this round

How do you guys experience the current gal setup?
Unread 13 Nov 2005, 16:24   #2
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of
Re: Galaxy Setup ftw?

Its ok, I think the main rpoblem with the buddy packs being 5 is that smaller alliances who hold no naps struggle to have over 3 ppl in a pack. Ideally any alliance only wants max 2/3 in one single buddy pack.

Overall though I think it has worked out well in comparison to other rounds.
Unread 13 Nov 2005, 18:09   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan
Its ok, I think the main rpoblem with the buddy packs being 5 is that smaller alliances who hold no naps struggle to have over 3 ppl in a pack. Ideally any alliance only wants max 2/3 in one single buddy pack.

Overall though I think it has worked out well in comparison to other rounds.
people can use smaller packs if they want to though - any size between 2 and 5 is fine

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2005, 18:22   #4
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
people can use smaller packs if they want to though - any size between 2 and 5 is fine
Yep, or go random
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 10:10   #5
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

you can certainly see a lot less random "good" players this round, which feels a bit odd because the majority of galaxies seem to have terrible IRC activity (there's more galaxies, too).

but the system definitely feels better, 20 clusters is nice and there seems to be a lot less in the way of alliance issues in galaxies.
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 19:24   #6
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Current gal setup is the best we've had for a long time. Galaxies aren't having 'loyalty' issues anymore (I mean in general here), and fence sitting is not an issue either. Also, galaxies are more trusting of their randoms, and more willing to help them out.

All in all, I think galaxies have gone in the right direction this round, and that on that front, we've had success.
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 19:41   #7
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

i'd like to see 2 man buddy packs to remove any chance of blocking, but i'm sure i'd get boo'd and hissed at for it. then again, whats the chances of 3 BPs of the same alliance (6 members) actually occuring? probably quite slim.

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 19:46   #8
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Blue Moon-
i'd like to see 2 man buddy packs to remove any chance of blocking, but i'm sure i'd get boo'd and hissed at for it. then again, whats the chances of 3 BPs of the same alliance (6 members) actually occuring? probably quite slim.
Yeah, great idea! Tear galaxies apart, reintroduce the loyalty conflict between alliance and galaxy! Go back to the situation where a galaxy just means you have the same x and y coordinate and no interaction! Terrific!

OK, I'll be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely convinced that the relative merits of this idea balance out in favour of in-galaxy relationships and community development.
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 00:27   #9
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

yeah... <3 Bashar *rolls eyes*
i liked the r13 setup also. with the 2 groups of 3 wasn't it?
That was fun i thought and worked relatively well.

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 00:56   #10
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Blue Moon-
yeah... <3 Bashar *rolls eyes*
i liked the r13 setup also. with the 2 groups of 3 wasn't it?
That was fun i thought and worked relatively well.
The main problem with that setup was that it led to excessively large galaxies. This way seems to be better in that respect, in addition to making packs more likely have decent coverage on their own.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 09:16   #11
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Imo this round has been an absolute failure in galaxy setup.
The free players are gettinge exiled around until they are stuck in tiny galaxies, where they die and quit.
The argument that people can upgrade to exile just doesnt wash, because they arent doing that, they are just walking away.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 10:04   #12
Death666
Im Back :)

Death666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
The free players are gettinge exiled around until they are stuck in tiny galaxies, where they die and quit.
The argument that people can upgrade to exile just doesnt wash, because they arent doing that, they are just walking away.

But then again...there are lots of people who sign up with a free account and then they just stay unactive...so they deserve what they get....unless we see them on a lot then they wont get kicked

RD13 - IRON|APA
RD14 - APA
RD15 - InSomnia|Violent Saints HC
RD19 - Subh|ROCK
RD20 - Insurrection|Solo
RD21 - LOST|Subh
RD22 - Subh DC
RD30 - Redemption
Death666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 10:40   #13
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

And because a lot of free planets go inactive, the rest deserve to see such a crap part fo pa that they quit, never to return.

Yes I can see where you are coming from because we have so many players we don't need more.
Right?
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 10:53   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

In the free round we will be trialling turning on the "buddy pack members cannoy self exile" "buddy pack memebrs cannot be exiled" options. We will reduce the no exile period to 24 ticks.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 3 Dec 2005, 10:54   #15
Death666

Death666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
In the free round we will be trialling turning on the "buddy pack members cannoy self exile" "buddy pack memebrs cannot be exiled" options. We will reduce the no exile period to 24 ticks.
And will join another alliance be reduced from 72 hours to 48??

RD13 - IRON|APA
RD14 - APA
RD19 - Subh|ROCK
RD20 - Insurrection|Solo
RD21 - LOST|Subh
RD22 - Subh DC
RD30 - Redemption
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 11:11   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death666
And will join another alliance be reduced from 72 hours to 48??
what has that got to do with this thread...

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 3 Dec 2005, 12:05   #17
Haarken
Faithful Pony

Haarken is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan
It’s about time that smaller alliances helped themselves by showing some political acumen, it should be pretty easy to pick up one or maybe even two NAPs but having spent some time in noob alliances I know how unwilling some noob HC are to getting involved with other alliances.
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 12:23   #18
The_Mad_Keg
Fat *******

The_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to behold

For me the new gal setup ended up in the disintegration of the gal, we never really got anymore than 5 active ppl during deftimes, upgraded one new guy who was active and that was about it, the rest was a bunch of inactives (both paid and unpaid) that didnt come on IRC, didnt post on forums, didnt reply to mails from ministers and GC and didnt def or attack, and a spy. When college and other RL comitments stopped me from playing properly the gal didnt have enuf other active players to make it work and all exiled out, leaving another tiny n00b gal as more inactives exiled in.

The long waiting times to exile inactives in protection was the killer, 72 ticks to wait for someone whos initiated their 9 roids on first login then not come on since was a pain in the arse, especially when we got 3-4 of them at once, which happened regularly
<Rocko> so reincarnation is like getting ABSOLUTLEY wankered when u die

[F-Crew] - You known when youve been [FC]ucked
The_Mad_Keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 12:55   #19
Death666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
what has that got to do with this thread...
dont know...just wanted to know

RD13 - IRON|APA
RD14 - APA
RD19 - Subh|ROCK
RD20 - Insurrection|Solo
RD21 - LOST|Subh
RD22 - Subh DC
RD30 - Redemption
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 13:04   #20
Alessio
deserves a medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Keg
For me the new gal setup ended up in the disintegration of the gal, we never really got anymore than 5 active ppl during deftimes, upgraded one new guy who was active and that was about it, the rest was a bunch of inactives (both paid and unpaid) that didnt come on IRC, didnt post on forums, didnt reply to mails from ministers and GC and didnt def or attack, and a spy. When college and other RL comitments stopped me from playing properly the gal didnt have enuf other active players to make it work and all exiled out, leaving another tiny n00b gal as more inactives exiled in.

The long waiting times to exile inactives in protection was the killer, 72 ticks to wait for someone whos initiated their 9 roids on first login then not come on since was a pain in the arse, especially when we got 3-4 of them at once, which happened regularly
Not more then 5 active people during deftimes..??
When you quit the gal had 4 bp and 1 random dude left so they all self exiled

Sounds more like an attitude problem to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
Kal's solution should work I think; no exiling of buddypack members.
That should keep the core of the gals inplace unless they pull a keg.

Last edited by Alessio; 3 Dec 2005 at 13:10.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2005, 15:07   #21
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Why isn't there a hard solution to fixing these problems sorted out once and for all.

If one obviously active player is in a gal of obviously inactive players why isnt he dumped into a t50% galaxy.

Or t66% whatever the margins should be.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2005, 15:40   #22
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
Why isn't there a hard solution to fixing these problems sorted out once and for all.

If one obviously active player is in a gal of obviously inactive players why isnt he dumped into a t50% galaxy.

Or t66% whatever the margins should be.
becuase the aim should be to prevent the galaxies of inacitves in the first place, not to punnish the bottom galaxies who finally get a good planet who should bumb them up.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 4 Dec 2005, 16:13   #23
SpaceMonkey
Warden
Reactor Champion

SpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to behold

I think the gal system is looking better than it has for a while. Slightly smaller galaxies feel better and having slightly smaller alliances too probably helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarken
having spent some time in noob alliances I know how unwilling some noob HC are to getting involved with other alliances.
Speaking as a noob HC, I have been avoiding contact with other alliances while we try to get the internals working smoothly and build a bit of a member base. Maybe this wasn't the right way to go but I don't think it did us any harm either.
SpaceMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote