User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 10 Sep 2005, 21:08   #51
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Comparing Fury/Legion with current alliances ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupp
threads like this die easily when the creator agrees that his arguments are not really good :-p
a real discussion comes only up if you have a polarisation on 2 sides ... here it is : ty Kj for a nice thread - but somehow it's all very in the shadows

what have we learned from this ?
nothing again i guess
erm, my arguements are good, I never said they weren't. My analogy was made to PROVE ANOTHER POINT. Now I AGREE that my analogy has some flaws, but my POINT hasn't.
You could argue that the analogy isn't in place (I still think it is, but I accept it has flaws) but discussing that means you're completely missing the point though

Reading your reply makes me conclude you somehow missed the point

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 22:26   #52
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

Kj the analogy is supposed to back up your point. I dont belive yours even comes close as war fare today is vastly different from the greek or roman period, where as PA warfare is essentially the same. The major difference between fury/legion rounds and today imo, is the number of people playing.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 23:05   #53
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor
Kj the analogy is supposed to back up your point. I dont belive yours even comes close as war fare today is vastly different from the greek or roman period, where as PA warfare is essentially the same. The major difference between fury/legion rounds and today imo, is the number of people playing.
Read the last line I told Jupp ...

And I don't agree that the only thing that changed in early rounds and now are the numbers of players. Politics is played on a whole different level, intel has a complete different role these rounds, ranks system, ship/race options, ...

I don't think you could even compare early rounds with now. If you could, then I could compare those other tick based games current rounds with PA's early rounds cause all in all, the goal of the game stayed the same. And such comparisons are even more rubbish tbh.

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Sep 2005, 23:07   #54
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
erm, my arguements are good, I never said they weren't. My analogy was made to PROVE ANOTHER POINT. Now I AGREE that my analogy has some flaws, but my POINT hasn't.
You could argue that the analogy isn't in place (I still think it is, but I accept it has flaws) but discussing that means you're completely missing the point though

Reading your reply makes me conclude you somehow missed the point
maybe ... could be aswell because i read more of the replies lately and not most of ur original post ;D

sorry :-(

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 23:52   #55
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Actually, they were Macedonian. Sort of like a Macedon but with more Ians.
Alright. But they were very, very similar to the Greeks in many ways.

Anyway this is pointless.
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 00:02   #56
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
Alright. But they were very, very similar to the Greeks in many ways.

Anyway this is pointless.
Atleast we know your wrong. Must count for something.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 00:07   #57
Virall
The Scareh Clown

Virall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to beholdVirall is a splendid one to behold

lol @ everyone arguing over history.
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 14:57   #58
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Politics is played on a whole different level, intel has a complete different role these rounds, ranks system, ship/race options, ...
So what's the level of politics iyo? And does intel really have a diiferent role in the more recent rounds?

When it comes to politics I'd say that the level rather dropped than rose. I think 1up HC and their bored members can tell you quite a long story about it. The lack of political challenges this round was astonishing.

Intel was and still is a major part of all top alliances' politics and I can not imagine that its role changed dramatically over the rounds. In Xanadu getting viabel intel was one of the most important taks - and Glatze did a hell of a job getting excellent information.

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 15:23   #59
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by laputa
Intel was and still is a major part of all top alliances' politics and I can not imagine that its role changed dramatically over the rounds. In Xanadu getting viabel intel was one of the most important taks - and Glatze did a hell of a job getting excellent information.
Gathering intel these rounds is ALOT easier. A planet can only get defence from 3 sources ...

- His alliance (due to ETA -1 advantage)
- His galaxy
- maybe the cluster (also ETA -1)

Now, you can easily rule out the galaxy and cluster to have a very good view of who are his alliance m8's. In the earlier rounds, your allies could defend aswell simply cause there was no difference in ETA. That alone makes intel easy these last few rounds.

these rounds, all it takes is for 1 alliance to know 1 1up planet and within a few days they have over 70% of the memberlist of 1up and other alliances will soon receive those lists aswell cause we all know intel gets traded very easily.

Also the defence channels and defencebots which members ask their gal to contact ... it's really easy to find out which bot belongs to which alliance etc.

FA Gaming community

Unread 11 Sep 2005, 15:29   #60
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold

I agree that intel is easier to get these rounds but the overall role (ie importance) remained the same, didn't it?

edit: typos

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 17:08   #61
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by laputa
I agree that intel is easier to get these rounds but the overall role (ie importance) remained the same, didn't it?

edit: typos
Since it got easier to retrieve it, alliances spend less efforts on it, meaning it's less important. Since most ifnot all alliances are able to achieve the same quality of intel "more or less", it no longer is a determining factor to win a round.

Hence why Intel imo has played a far less important role in PA since the ETA -1 bonus for alliances were created.

FA Gaming community

Unread 12 Sep 2005, 06:42   #62
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

Well I may aswell join in.

/me wanks all over the palce
coffee- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2005, 09:34   #63
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Can Insomnia be Iraq, and I the evil dictator?

Nice post anyway Kjel(for once? :P)
you're right in many ways

-J-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2005, 10:25   #64
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

You lot are all ****ing retarded.

Except for JBG, he's awesome!
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 15:07   #65
Cryptic
Retard Magnet

Cryptic is infamous around these parts

Fury's membership usually ranged between 100 - 300 ish adding in Wrath. ( the core useable number of players was at the lower end of the scale )

I can't compare with current alliances because I have no experience of them - I think I left around the time of rnd 7 / 8.
What I can is point out a few potential difference to support the 'differing times' hypothesis in some respect.

From Furys point of view, we were all new to the game like everyone else when we started out of Cluster 7 in round 1. We had a tight small core of players ( c7R ) and went into rnd to set up Fury .. we linked up with VTS and both alliances had a relationship through many rounds at leadership level ... the top echelons of Fury and VTS ( and then Wolfpack ) worked together regularly and shared galaxies and private chat rooms ... not even accesseable by Alliance officers etc in secret.
We pretty much dictated the politics and situations in the game at the time because we were the more or less the most organised.

We had a lot of dedication in the first few rnds - its the type of experience you have when you join a brand new game ( brand new for everyone ) where everyone is equal roughly in experience. The more rounds you play the more mixed it gets and the less orginal players exist. As the shine goes so do 'some' of the dedication.
For example I was put up for redundancy due to the amount of attention I spent playing instead of working early on in the game. Getting up at 3am to drive 9miles to work to launch an attack or defence fleet ... or to check and recall at whatever tick ( didn't have a phone line at my flat at the time ).
Sid and myself went on a trip to Norway to meet up with some of the VTS ( and wolfpack guys ) ... Decoy etc \o/ - the Triumviate meet.

In the earlier rounds the politics where of fear and dictated peoples reactions to our attacks - and not many alliances had a proper grip on politics.

I was well known *cough* for my rampant propaganda on these forums - mixing truth, lies and over simplications to stir up trouble and make the less experience players not want to side with certain alliances ... making it easier for us. Nothing better than to watch the Alliance are at war with struggling with their allies diplomacy and also having masses of non affilated players suiciding on them mid battle.
( many people could spot my lies or half truths ... but if you repeat something that sounds sort of plausable enough times it sticks ) ..... I suppose it didn't help that I'd spend part of my time creating fake accounts to argue against myself and slag myself off .... whilst slightly incriminating an alliance or making them sound stupid ... or often making digs at one of their allies in the process to cause frictions in their block. ( did that on irc as well - nothing better than slagging pretending to be a Alliance A and slagging off partner Alliance B in public about crap defence or selfish roiding etc ... in a nice public channel )

What I am trying to explain is, from my personal experience, when I get to a new fresh of the shelf game I put more effort into it ( usually ) than one that been around awhile and already has older players in.
There will be still dedicated players around no doubt, but I would imagine less that there was when the game first surface due to the effect I described.
The newness of the game ( and the effects on interest and dedication that can have ) , the close relationships between certain key movers and shakers apart from the actual mechanics of the game, makes comparisson extremely difficult with your current alliances..... and you can't compare an alliance that formed with new players right from the start to build up and create long term relationships with the mixes and matches you get in the later rounds.

If you get tired of the crap , baby move over here and maybe buy some of mine

R1 c7R / Fury co-founder / annoying bully / Propaganda mechant.

Crypto Inc Comics

Last edited by Cryptic; 16 Sep 2005 at 15:24.
Cryptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 15:21   #66
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldnt it have been better to compare football team to alliances?

Like everton in the 80s where a million times better than everton nowadays.

the game improves and players are always changing teams just like PA always imrpoves and players are always changing teams.

Just a bored at work thought.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 15:30   #67
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Wouldnt it have been better to compare football team to alliances?

Like everton in the 80s where a million times better than everton nowadays.

the game improves and players are always changing teams just like PA always imrpoves and players are always changing teams.

Just a bored at work thought.
I could have done that, Noah, but I'm Belgian and I'd have compared it with our "Jupiler League" (premiership in Belgium) ... and sadly enough alot of pple wouldn't be able to even imagine the analogy simply cause then know 1-2 Belgian teams max.

great thoughts are created when bored at work ... the reason I started this thread hehe.

FA Gaming community

Unread 16 Sep 2005, 15:32   #68
Cryptic
Retard Magnet

Cryptic is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I'm Belgian .
does that mean you eat alot of biscuits and are a second class Frenchman ?

If you get tired of the crap , baby move over here and maybe buy some of mine

R1 c7R / Fury co-founder / annoying bully / Propaganda mechant.

Crypto Inc Comics
Cryptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 15:38   #69
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic
does that mean you eat alot of biscuits and are a second class Frenchman ?

hehe, I'm from the good part (read: the Dutch speaking part)

FA Gaming community

Unread 16 Sep 2005, 15:54   #70
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

i always thought that you are from SOMEWHERE else .... but belgium ? kinda a bit disappointing now

/me pats Kj

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 16:01   #71
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupp
i always thought that you are from SOMEWHERE else .... but belgium ? kinda a bit disappointing now

/me pats Kj
Another mystery revealed ...

FA Gaming community

Unread 17 Sep 2005, 22:25   #72
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about

I come here after a good year and find directly a post which urges a reply!

I dont think the overall comparison between ancient times and modern warfare fits as other stated aswell. Too much time and technology passed to compare a ironshielded footman to an apache helicopter.

I personally think that the general playerbase in a game tends to develop to a medicore level. Many good players leave and "bad" players learn while this might never reach the same level of old players.
PA was (atleast the rounds i played) more and more turning into "who can mobilize more players" over a "who has the more skilled players". As a direct result we saw those who "won" pulling up medicore players into the top100 often guranteed by a stronghold cluster, a good galaxy or unlimited defence support.

If i was to compare old times and the new ones i would say that the load on hc stayed the same and on members was reduced whereas officers had a great increase in duties.

In the old days far lesser work was needed as the attackwindow was limited from maybe 23.00- 7 am (for the masses) nowadays you need (atleast in 10/11) to cover the whole day and gurantee a good activity for defence fleets there aswell.

As cryptic stated the individual highly skilled player doesnt mean much anymore in rounds where buildplans and fleetsetups are common knowledge and every alliance (maybe even due to membersize) could daily check on every member (in r9 we had a parser telling ppl what their fleet was best suited for and i can imagine ppl worked on it).

In short, old alliances would sack current ones if they played both a new pa version simply because the old players had more individual activity and thought more for themself while modern alliances often rely purely on well established plans and technology to improve their medicore players.
As for the politics, old alliances had the advantage of a free minded and neutral playfield while new alliances have to fight against a very small preset universe. Nevertheless this can be to an advantage if you join the bandwagon before making a name.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 06:10   #73
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve

But... in the modern times, where does 6.10 group fits in?
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 08:55   #74
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

defence sink
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 09:05   #75
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by furssie
No where without alliances to back them up ;-)

at a guess, i would probably put them in the same boat as israel. very good, but without the support of their allies, they'd be stripped bare.
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 10:40   #76
BlueDemon

BlueDemon is on a distinguished road

A good thread, Kj.
Some showed their intelligence with good well thought out responses and others, well they showed how unintelligent they truely are.
Either way, i enjoyed the reading and could do with more threads of this caliber.
As for could the old alliances hold their own against todays top guns, who knows, with the inability to multi as much as was done in the early rounds, it would be interesting to find out.

Maybe one day they'll have it in them to come back and find out. Personally I think their time has past. I mean look at what happened to some of the so called old alliances this round. I believe that would have also been the case with Fury.
BlueDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2005, 12:08   #77
LB|away

LB|away is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol

Nice read.

Funny to see you guys are still as bored as a few years ago

kisses LB
LB|away is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2005, 21:29   #78
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

i would like to know how to wank a thread. please?
Unread 1 Oct 2005, 03:44   #79
Sardaukar
Shallow

Sardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
but it's the same generation of players playing now.
Its just the game mechanics that changed, while they are different in some ways, they are still hugely similar to the original game (i.e. that the basic concept is still based around defending/attacking and holding roids on an hourly tick based internet game)

Its a completely different generation of players playing now than then! In computer gaming terms anyway lol.

This is a game that requires horrible sleepless nights, kicking about a computer all day etc if your going to play to the standards of Legion/Fury.

So many more of those people now have full time jobs that didnt before, can drink and generally have better stuff to do than play a computer game 24/7.

With a few exceptions i'd say that you can put a ceiling on the age of planetarion players that play hardcore to 20 (and they really need to go out and get a sun tan) I know, i've been there.

Anyway, back to comparing history! I like ouy rideas but from what i remember of Legion and from what i saw of vsn when i played half a round out of boredom at work the PA technology hasnt really evolved very far. Legion were operating with arbiters, higher security and i'd say much more trust and community than you seem to get in alliances today (i've got a very very shallow understanding of this from idling in irc chans)

It's tempting to compare 1up to Fury and Legion purely cos they're on top and i think thats pretty fair. Its still the same things that make you good at this game, number crunching, staying up late and communicating with people.

I think its a testament to the old guard as nowadays with the smaller player base co-ordination isnt as hard, we had battle groups as big as some of the current alliances.

More players = more fun. It introduces that political aspect back into the game where there's the possibility that if the little alliances could all scrub together they might get on top (never gonna happen but ya know what i mean in a kinda BT kinda way)

Sorry, im sat here at work at 3:39am with no particular agenda, i think i'll go to sleep.

^^ my 2 cents an Hi sigrid

Fedaykin

8 Arrakiss 1:2:2 1869 26.837.330

Planetarion -> Psytrance Cmon guys its easy
Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2005, 02:48   #80
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

Very true Fed, put across a few points i'd tried to get across earlier in the thread ;-)
Unread 2 Oct 2005, 11:16   #81
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by furssie
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
defence sink
lmao, get someone in pa team how many out of gal defence fleets we've gotten and sent tbh.
you might not like us or whatever, but it's getting old spreading blatant lies about us defwh0ring and being defence sink or whatever as any of the alliance we had ingal can tell you. And as for the 1up guys i can tell you we did more then our fair share of attacking hostiles.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2005, 11:59   #82
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ER I didn't suggest you were defwhoring, in fact exactly the opposite.

In that the in gal defence available (due to the high concentration of 1up in your galaxy) meant it was spectacularly easy to defend 6:10 out of galaxy and hence, it wasn't worth attacking to anyone with half a brain cell which meant a number of 1up members (and a significant amount of their score) were safe from attack because there was a large pool of defence sunk within the galaxy.
Unread 2 Oct 2005, 12:03   #83
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

hmmmmmmmmmmmk misread then. my bad
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2005, 17:16   #84
Shadow1980
Search Engine Specialist

Shadow1980 is infamous around these partsShadow1980 is infamous around these parts

The reason why you can't compare the old alliances to the current ones has nothing to do with time, organisation or size. It has to do with the fact this game *isn't* anything like Planetarion once was.
It's a completely different game and you can't compare apples to pears.

Well you can, but you will quickly come to the conclusion they smell different, they look different and they taste different.

@Lokken: Nice to see a sensible person is moderator on AD now.
Shadow1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2005, 18:22   #85
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow1980
The reason why you can't compare the old alliances to the current ones has nothing to do with time, organisation or size. It has to do with the fact this game *isn't* anything like Planetarion once was.
It's a completely different game and you can't compare apples to pears.

Well you can, but you will quickly come to the conclusion they smell different, they look different and they taste different.

The game is nowhere near as intense, but I think this is a good thing, simply because planetarion is far less destructive on individuals. The game is also far more rewarding to the ambitious and requires a bit more brainpower rather than sheer all out activity. In this sense, the game as the thing we actually play has improved beyond recognition. It's the collapse of the playerbase that has caused things otherwise to detiriorate.

But I think it's pretty easy to compare alliances - you can just look at an alliance's attitude to the rest of the game, personnel at the top and through the spine of the alliance and their relative position to get a pretty clear picture. NewDawn (for example) have moved from what probably was closest to a r5 BlueTuba position to what I'd consider a classic NewDawn position in the past 2 rounds. There are other obvious ones, but to go into them would involve more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for your compliments - it's nice to see a former mod say nice things about me. Hope you're well and all is fine with you
Unread 12 Oct 2005, 20:54   #86
Shadow1980
Search Engine Specialist

Shadow1980 is infamous around these partsShadow1980 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Thanks for your compliments - it's nice to see a former mod say nice things about me. Hope you're well and all is fine with you
Things are going quite well, thanks. Shout at me @ IRC sometimes and i'll tell you what's going on. I am gone for a few weeks though, as I am emigrating and I wont have internet while that is happening. It goes down here after the weekend.
Unread 13 Oct 2005, 08:58   #87
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Heh, whining about a mod is forbidden so I suggest praizing one should be aswell

FA Gaming community

Unread 13 Oct 2005, 20:56   #88
Silk_311x
Free

Silk_311x will become famous soon enoughSilk_311x will become famous soon enough

Very well put Kjeldoran. The way you connected Anceint history with this game was very interesting but got the point across nicely
Silk_311x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2005, 15:43   #89
Shadow1980
Search Engine Specialist

Quote:
Heh, whining about a mod is forbidden so I suggest praizing one should be aswell
There is a difference between whining / praising into heaven when comments are constructive and don't negatively affect anybody.
People who have been around a very long time know that I used to mod AD very actively from round 2 to round whatever it was. ( 6? ) I always respected Lokken's way of posting and we had some good times in the old days. It has never been a secret that if I would have had to choose somebody to be a moderator for AD in the old days, Lokken would have been on the list. So yes, I am pleased to see he is moderating here now.
Anybody who looks at both our posts will see that the posts display a mutual respect and understanding. Which, looking at some of the posts on the PA forums, is an alien concept to some people. (Not directed at anybody in particular, nor directed at this thread.)
Unread 14 Oct 2005, 17:10   #90
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
There is a difference between whining / praising into heaven when comments are constructive and don't negatively affect anybody.
People who have been around a very long time know that I used to mod AD very actively from round 2 to round whatever it was. ( 6? ) I always respected Lokken's way of posting and we had some good times in the old days. It has never been a secret that if I would have had to choose somebody to be a moderator for AD in the old days, Lokken would have been on the list. So yes, I am pleased to see he is moderating here now.
Anybody who looks at both our posts will see that the posts display a mutual respect and understanding. Which, looking at some of the posts on the PA forums, is an alien concept to some people. (Not directed at anybody in particular, nor directed at this thread.)
The smilie at the end of my post might have indicated that I was only mocking you <-- (see another smilie)

Ohh and, would I have been on your list?

FA Gaming community

Unread 14 Oct 2005, 19:09   #91
Shadow1980
Search Engine Specialist

Quote:
The smilie at the end of my post might have indicated that I was only mocking you <-- (see another smilie)

Ohh and, would I have been on your list?
I know you where.

To be very honest, I can't remember your nickname at all. This might just be me getting old though, PA had so much players back then that I don't even remember every person I worked together with. Not even those very very close to me Until I see their nickname appear somewhere that is.
Sometimes I really regret this, as I would love to remember every single person and every great moment I shared with them. Alas, there was just too of both to possibly remember them all.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 12:54   #92
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

And what of the Future? Will Pa follow the trend on the current global climate where rogue splinter groups/terrorists etc are dictating world events? These extremist groups are affecting how the rest of the world acts and are difficult to eradicate because there networks are spread worldwide, hiding behind borders of every country. Will Pa eventually be won by an such a type of BG where they have spies and agents in every other alliance, and they use cyber warfare etc as their weapons?
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 13:40   #93
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa
And what of the Future? Will Pa follow the trend on the current global climate where rogue splinter groups/terrorists etc are dictating world events? These extremist groups are affecting how the rest of the world acts and are difficult to eradicate because there networks are spread worldwide, hiding behind borders of every country. Will Pa eventually be won by an such a type of BG where they have spies and agents in every other alliance, and they use cyber warfare etc as their weapons?
Well, we can no longer speak of 1 superpower which is larger then the other alliances. 1up might be better but certainly isn't bigger in numbers. It's obvious that alliances depend more on their allies/blocks. 1up r13 took a beating because they had a block going after them ... and as good quality as you might be ... against such numbers you're powerless.
You can idd look at some alliances/BG's as rogue splinter cells.
Basicly they we part of a bigger entity but at some point decided to play their own agenda and break free of the alliance (like Hydra did to WP, Angels to MISTU, ...).

In the early rounds it was easy to see who your enemy was .... and it was rather obvious how to try and stop them ... these days it's imo harder because politics play an even more important role. Fury could play bad politics and still win the round. If 1up screws up politics-wise, then there's no chance in hell they'd win the round.

FA Gaming community

Unread 20 Oct 2005, 09:43   #94
BetrayerOfHope
InspirationOfNightmares

BetrayerOfHope is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Legion and Fury dominated for many rounds due to their very active and experienced membes who could defeat any opposition. Has any alliance since that done the same?
LDK

[23:11] <Zhil|FT> OMG BOH IS THE NEW KILLMARK
BetrayerOfHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 10:16   #95
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

noone ever or rarely mentions Concordium and T6E as the first really successful alliances
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 13:11   #96
Fred of Bedrock

Fred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
noone ever or rarely mentions Concordium and T6E as the first really successful alliances
Concordium was merely the birthplace of spilnter "wings" becoming alliances. It was also the beginning of how HC could split up an alliance and so for longevity they cannot compare to Legion or Fury.

I knew Legion was leaving after round 7 and it was probably one of the worst rounds for Legion with me in charge but prior to that there were 5 incredible rounds where Legion and Fury worked together (well round 4 when some of us were Wolfpack) ... and the level of player and activity was so good its hard to imagine that any current alliance could match either. Oh and no round was as long as round 2 which seemed to go for years and was extremely draining.

Politically I would say no-one could match Sid for his leadership and style and I seriously doubt any-one could ever beat him if he set his mind to it. I have been away for a while but from past experience the 1up people had the benefit of a Fury background.

I am biased in saying however that Legion was the ultimate alliance and that if you could convince people it was a new exciting game then Legion would decimate most alliances as they have access to as much or more technology as any of the current alliance have. It wont happen as Cryptic hit the nailon the head when he said that its fun when its a new and exciting game.

Some-one commented that trhe new game doesnt take as much a toll personally as the old game but if you werent emotional when you were attacked or defending then there was no "rush" or satisfaction to be had. I personally detested using bots or calcs and preffered using judgement.... sometimes it worked well.... sometimes it crashed and burned but at least it was my judgement that caused the result.

Anyway enough babble.... Legion and Fury from the old days would easily beat anything from the current days... even the Greeks learnt how to use technology
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 13:15   #97
Fred of Bedrock

Fred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetrayerOfHope
LDK

Oh and I loved LDK and thought they were a superb alliance but Legion was better ... if any-one sees my old friend Gadas please say hello for me
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 13:23   #98
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred of Bedrock
Concordium was merely the birthplace of spilnter "wings" becoming alliances. It was also the beginning of how HC could split up an alliance and so for longevity they cannot compare to Legion or Fury.

I knew Legion was leaving after round 7 and it was probably one of the worst rounds for Legion with me in charge but prior to that there were 5 incredible rounds where Legion and Fury worked together (well round 4 when some of us were Wolfpack) ... and the level of player and activity was so good its hard to imagine that any current alliance could match either. Oh and no round was as long as round 2 which seemed to go for years and was extremely draining.

Politically I would say no-one could match Sid for his leadership and style and I seriously doubt any-one could ever beat him if he set his mind to it. I have been away for a while but from past experience the 1up people had the benefit of a Fury background.

I am biased in saying however that Legion was the ultimate alliance and that if you could convince people it was a new exciting game then Legion would decimate most alliances as they have access to as much or more technology as any of the current alliance have. It wont happen as Cryptic hit the nailon the head when he said that its fun when its a new and exciting game.

Some-one commented that trhe new game doesnt take as much a toll personally as the old game but if you werent emotional when you were attacked or defending then there was no "rush" or satisfaction to be had. I personally detested using bots or calcs and preffered using judgement.... sometimes it worked well.... sometimes it crashed and burned but at least it was my judgement that caused the result.

Anyway enough babble.... Legion and Fury from the old days would easily beat anything from the current days... even the Greeks learnt how to use technology
Nice story and all ... But I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here m8. You simply cannot compare 1up/exi/current alliance with the old Fury, Legion, WP, BT, ...

The numbers of players alone is too big of a difference. In a 75 members alliance, 10 pple is about 12% of your entire alliance ...in a 300-400 members alliance, 10 pple isn't even 5% ...
What a current member does has a far bigger influence on his/her alliance then in the old days.

Becides, this is a pointless discussion, trying to compare such things ... cuz we all know nor Fury nor Legion will be back in full force and numbers as in the old days.

FA Gaming community

Unread 20 Oct 2005, 16:52   #99
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute

Did you honestly start a thread to explain why you can't effectively discuss something?

Some things never change.
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 17:50   #100
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

i hate threads like this. Its like comparing the A - Team to Power Rangers. Both of them had there times.