User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 1 Jun 2005, 13:57   #1
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve
Why can I be covopped while closed?

My planet was closed for about 24hrs.

I spoke to xontas who informed me that some ppl on same ip as me had been playing. But we'd hardly interacted and there wasn't evidence i'd been cheating or multiing so my planet was reopened.

But I noticed I'd been covopped - and lost over 1mill of each resource.

Xontas just ignored me when I raised it. Surely being unable to attack / defend for a day is punishment enough (for doing nothing) without losing a ton of my income.

http://www.imageb.in/covop.jpg
flikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 14:00   #2
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Lunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Why can I be covopped while closed?

Xontas didn't cov op you. If he is anything like the rest of 1:1, he probably doesn't even remember if he has researched the cov op pathway.
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 14:06   #3
flikman
Idiot

Lol. I wasn't suggesting Xontas had covopped me - altho it'd be a nice boost to income from his 8 roids.

Im saying while I was closed I was covopped by other players, and wondered why this happens. If im closed surely I shouldn't have to suffer resource penalties?

And support maestro Xontas just ignored me.
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 14:06   #4
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Lamp
Xontas didn't cov op you. If he is anything like the rest of 1:1, he probably doesn't even remember if he has researched the cov op pathway.
he didnt say xontas co-oped him

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 14:13   #5
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Lunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of light

I'm tired. I got the wrong end of the stick

I'm looking into the cov op stuff.
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 14:19   #6
xontas

xontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the rough

ok, in general we dont respond to MH issues on the Forum
but in this case i am gonna point out some small things

1) we hunt by gain and also the punishment is of the same size as the gain
2) we only close when there IS a breach of the rules
3) we only reopen if it turns out to be a error or when the gain from the cheating is small (with a punishment if the admin thinks its needed)

if there was aboslutly nothing there i would not have closed you

now....

on ignoring you

i do have a life outside of PA and when you PM someone they MIGHT not be around to awnser you!
so maby you should hold your horses next time :-)

btw, next round you need to get a exeption (it saves a whole lot of trouble)
xontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 14:37   #7
flikman
Idiot

We'd just finished discussing my closure. I'll find the log if you really want me to.

And I did have an exception. But how was I to know that other ppl would be playing on my halls network ?!

I have not cheated, or attempted to cheat. Just that some other ppl are playing in flats somewhere near me and that somehow we interacted a tiny little bit.

Luckily next round I'll be in a house with its own IP (hopefully) and won't get abused.
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 14:44   #8
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Flikman, your explanation is why you were reopened. However, from the evidence we were able to initially gather, we had reason to believe you were a cheat. No more shall be discussed about this case from multihunters on the forums.
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 14:51   #9
flikman
Idiot

Its not the case, more that people can be covert opd while closed. Isn't this an oversight?
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 15:14   #10
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Lamp
I'm looking into the cov op stuff.
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 18:15   #11
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

pt 1471 was me thanks for the res.

Everyone was told about you being closed, so we had a free for all on your planet - cheers
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 18:31   #12
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan

Everyone was told about you being closed, so we had a free for all on your planet - cheers

Wow you are indeed leet, cov opping a closed planet
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2005, 10:07   #13
flikman
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan

PA Staff - is this not an indication that closed planets should not be covopped ?
Unread 2 Jun 2005, 11:07   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

to be fair there isn't much a planet can do about being covertoped in the short term anyway - and if they are consitnatly targetted they will become hard to covert op anyway. However next round we will not allow covert ops on closed planets.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2005, 12:48   #15
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

This should have been posted in Suggestions
And been less whiney
Other than that a great thread
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 00:39   #16
tombcfc
thomus always sober...

tombcfc is an unknown quantity at this point

it would be a good idea for something to be done on a closed planet, cus it means the closee still has to worry about his planet and has to come back on to find out plus im evil and would think its funny!
tombcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 13:26   #17
flikman
Idiot

I have to disagree Kal.

I set my engineering to 1st priority and now they cant get through on me. - Perhaps closed planets should have access to engineering?
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 14:07   #18
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by flikman
I have to disagree Kal.

I set my engineering to 1st priority and now they cant get through on me. - Perhaps closed planets should have access to engineering?
But then they wouldnt be closed?

Besides, if everyone set their engineering to Security as P1, why not auto-do it?

If engineering was changed by the player during closure, would the ticks that it was closed count towards the 48?

tbh i think there should be some disincentive - however small - to players who are acting somewhat suspiciously without sufficient evidence to close them - they run the risk of being covert opped. There is a difference, after all, between 'Innocent' and 'Not Guilty' .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 14:47   #19
teknik
Antagonist

teknik has a spectacular aura aboutteknik has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
tbh i think there should be some disincentive - however small - to players who are acting somewhat suspiciously without sufficient evidence to close them - they run the risk of being covert opped. There is a difference, after all, between 'Innocent' and 'Not Guilty' .
a disincentive to go to university where there is a shared internet connection for 10-20k people? there are various factors outside of your control which make this unfair on some people but not on others, as not everyone can have their own internet connection.
teknik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 21:47   #20
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by xontas
2) we only close when there IS a breach of the rules
3) we only reopen if it turns out to be a error

if there was aboslutly nothing there i would not have closed you
Contradicting yourself 2 times in 3 lines?
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 22:40   #21
teknik
Antagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
Contradicting yourself 2 times in 3 lines?
no he isn't. there can be breaches that happen that aren't cheating. like for example i am at a university, but i dunno who else here plays so i cant get a specific exception saying "co-ords x:y:z and p:t:q are on the same ip as me, please can we get an exception?"
so, if i were to unknowingly attack someone from my uni it would be a breach of the rules and i would be closed. then i go to Xontas and the wonderful MH team and explain i am playing from uni and dunno who else plays from here, they check my story out, decide i'm telling the truth then re-open me.

so there would be a breach of the rules, i would be reopened as it would be a mistake and i would have never been closed in the first place if there was no problem. makes sense now?
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 23:00   #22
flikman
Idiot

teknik is right.

I'm at a university. I pay to play the game. I try to play fairly. What more can I do ?
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 02:41   #23
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Clearly you should ask everybody at your university whether they play PA, and then get an exception and make sure you never interact with them.

Surely this is obvious
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 08:56   #24
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Yeah, go around the corridors shouting: "Do any of you play PA?!"
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 20:17   #25
teknik
Antagonist

i dont know how it works for shyne, but i dont have access to halls of residence i don't live in, they have door codes/ swipe cards etc, mainly to stop people like kila getting in.