User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 21 Dec 2010, 10:31   #1
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of
Another Sandmans Replacement

Dear Planetarion Community,

Several people have put quite a lot of effort into a replacement for Sandmans. I am of of those persons. When I set out to code a replacement, I had to decide wether to make my own look and feel, or imitate the much loved Sandmans. Because people are used to the layout of Sandmans, and because people loved that layout, I decided to clone Sandmans as much as possible. During last round I have been coding and testing, and the product is close to being finished; close enough for me to make it publicly known.

So, much further delay: http://kia.cthq.net
Alternatively, you can use http://knowitall.cthq.net

For those who like it, and want to use it: I would appreciate any feedback on bugs, requests for enhancements and apparent errors in the actual data presented to you. You can reach me in #conspiracy (remy|afk).

If you want to know about KIA's development, you can always check: http://kia.cthq.net/index.php?p=worktodo . I will try to list the things that have been reported, and the things i am working on.

I hope you will all enjoy the use of my effort!

Winter KIA

A KIA version is available for the Winter round, at http://winterkia.cthq.net/

The Winter KIA is not working 100%, because of the race changes and other mechanics that aren't in the normal game. Any errors you see in the Winter KIA, but NOT in the normal KIA, do not have to be reported, since they are the result of the differences between the normal and the winter game. If time allows, I will implement the most important differences between the two games in the WInter KIA.

Remy|afk.

P.S. Please take note of http://kia.cthq.net/index.php?p=faq if you are concerned for your privacy.
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2010, 10:48   #2
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of
Re: Another Sandmans Replacement

One more remark: Due to testing and bugs i had, the KIA current database isn't complete: ticks are missing. The Winter KIA i started late and also misses ticks. I hope to have full ticks from Round 40 onwards. :-)
Unread 21 Dec 2010, 10:49   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's awful (not awfull).
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2010, 11:01   #4
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Corrected the spelling, mz (in the credits section). Tnx
Unread 21 Dec 2010, 17:04   #5
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

Cudos for your hard work, I know first hand just how much there is to do! I still maintain that it would have been nice if we could have all worked together, but I guess a bit of variety isn't a bad thing!

Regarding privacy, let me just say that it's clear that some people aren't willing to just accept your word on this (apparently we're still in the cold war here)! Any thoughts on open sourcing?
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2010, 22:13   #6
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

The idea that making your code open source guarantuees privacy is a deception. You could publish an open source code of any tool, and use a slightly modified version on your own server that does data mining. So, open source is no guarantuee, it could even create a FALSE sense of security/privacy.

On top of that, i couldn't care less about ppl not believing me, I had great fun creating this site, and i hope ppl use it. I they don't, their loss.

I am not going to open source it, but if ANYONE has questions about how i did things, i will gladly help anyone with pieces of code. And, again, believe it or not, the main reason i don't open source it, is because for some reason, PHP drives me nuts and makes myself write spaghetti code i am not proud of. I wish i would write PHP as cohesive as i wrote delphi ^^.

I am only reasonably satisfied with the MySQL part KIA (including the fact that 98% of the actual ticker/data processing takes place inside MySQL stored procedures), and the class that draws the tables for all pages.
Unread 22 Dec 2010, 04:15   #7
bytelover
Banned

bytelover will become famous soon enoughbytelover will become famous soon enough

Thanks for hosting and developing this. One thing Im missing is the "total" stats on a galaxy page. Eg:
knowitall.cthq.net/index.php?p=viewgalaxy&x=12&y=8
This page would show "total" below the last planet, with the galaxy rank (per score/xp/and whatnot)
Pretty sure Sandmans had it too and I liked it.

edit: 3rd time Ive reported this. This setting is retarded:
1. You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.
bytelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2010, 04:25   #8
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

That's meant to prevent bots spamming the site, btw...
Unread 22 Dec 2010, 07:27   #9
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
That's meant to prevent bots spamming the site, btw...
Nice to know that there are quite a few Baw Bags in the PA community
Probily the same folk who thinks its ok to multi.

But thanks to those who have done the Sandmans clone.
Unread 22 Dec 2010, 11:40   #10
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytelover View Post
Thanks for hosting and developing this. One thing Im missing is the "total" stats on a galaxy page. Eg:
knowitall.cthq.net/index.php?p=viewgalaxy&x=12&y=8
This page would show "total" below the last planet, with the galaxy rank (per score/xp/and whatnot)
Pretty sure Sandmans had it too and I liked it.
Noted and added to to work to do list :-). Yes sandmans had it, and i simply forgot to add it.

While we are at it, does someone know what the tracker page did? I cannot find a screenshot/description for that page anywhere.

Last edited by Remy; 23 Dec 2010 at 08:54.
Unread 28 Dec 2010, 23:14   #11
Crantor
Nice to be Loved

Crantor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You've done a great job from what I've seen. The tracker page kept up with the movement of planets as they exiled from one galaxy to another. You could tell if the planet was new (where it started when created) as well as each new galaxy it went to when exiling. It also noted deleted planets.

Probably more, but that's what I used it for, to trace people.

4D
H-A
Denial
ODDR
ROCK - FOREVER
Crantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2011, 20:35   #12
Dark
BS Consultant

Dark will become famous soon enoughDark will become famous soon enough

I like it.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2011, 08:41   #13
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crantor View Post
You've done a great job from what I've seen. The tracker page kept up with the movement of planets as they exiled from one galaxy to another. You could tell if the planet was new (where it started when created) as well as each new galaxy it went to when exiling. It also noted deleted planets.

Probably more, but that's what I used it for, to trace people.
Thank you, i will add it to the todo list.
Also, Does anyone have a screenshot of the exile page, where it listed how much chance you had to land in a certain galaxy?
Unread 7 Jan 2011, 12:05   #14
Will
Planetarion Support Team Member

Will is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
does someone know what the tracker page did? I cannot find a screenshot/description for that page anywhere.
I took snapshots of all available pages while Sandmans was still online for my own future reference, you can currently find them here. They're MHT files, so you'll need Opera or I think IE to view them easily - or just open in notepad and base64-decode each part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
Does anyone have a screenshot of the exile page, where it listed how much chance you had to land in a certain galaxy?
I don't think that was a Sandmans page (can't see it linked on any of my snapshots), although that sounds like a useful feature.

Last edited by Will; 23 Feb 2011 at 14:33. Reason: clicky clicky
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2011, 14:20   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can't remember that either.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2011, 17:43   #16
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

It existed, though not everyone knew about it. I have a link to where it used to be... but no screen shots. I can describe it a bit.

Basically it listed the galaxies based on the probability of exiling into them. So there were 3 or 4 groups and in each group there was a probability percentage that gave you the odds of exiling into that group of galaxies.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2011, 09:10   #17
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
I took snapshots of all available pages while Sandmans was still online for my own future reference, you can currently find them at sandmans.pa.howlingrain.tk (apparently I haven't posted enough to make that clicky). They're MHT files, so you'll need Opera or I think IE to view them easily - or just open in notepad and base64-decode each part.

I don't think that was a Sandmans page (can't see it linked on any of my snapshots), although that sounds like a useful feature.
Thanks Will !
Unread 24 Jan 2011, 20:05   #18
Zirikk
Bounce Back Champion, TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Penguin Bashing Champion, War on Terror Champion, Bugz Champion

Zirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to behold

http://kia.cthq.net/index.php?p=rankgalaxy
The arrows on the left are backwards and it says Down 2 place(s) when it should say up 2 place(s).
Zirikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2011, 20:11   #19
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirikk View Post
http://kia.cthq.net/index.php?p=rankgalaxy
The arrows on the left are backwards and it says Down 2 place(s) when it should say up 2 place(s).
Fixed some time ago, forgot to mention.

Two things for those who use my KIA:

1) Sometimes you will see missing ticks, thats mainly because i created bugs by resolving old bugs. I hope to have all ticks next round :P
2) Started on the tracker, functional, but not yet completely finished.
Unread 21 Feb 2011, 21:28   #20
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

good job