User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 19 Mar 2008, 01:26   #1
Sebos

Sebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the rough
Scanning

after reading the post related to removing scanning. Also combined with the thought that it is alliances keeping pa here not gals. Why not have alliance scanning.

Now this has prolly been said before but i couldn't find it ;p. Alliance scanning works kinda like i believe the old gal def worked. Alliance members can build alliance amps the marked officers of the alliance can then use these amps to scan targets for raids, incomings whatever the hell they needed scans for. The current alliance fund would be re-structured a bit so it was a scan fund each member donated to it then it was used for scanning(duh).

Added to this there would then need to be alliance research alliances would need to research scans and possibly infra or something similar to make sure they could keep building amps and get the tech etc.

As far as my shortsighted-ness can see this solves the need for alliance scanners and to an extent will stop scanners being closed as support planets as they won't be there. i know scanning is a valid tactic and liked by some as a way to play half assed. but in reality a good scanner will put more effort in now than a top planet.

i guess a con to this would be that this again makes the game even less accessable to new players as u'd then need an alliance to get scans then again maybe some sort of solo check box or new player check box that u could use to indicate u didn't have an alliance and therefore scan tech would be as normal or as discussed in the other threads.

just two cents on scanning, more alliance sided

Sebos
Sebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2008, 01:40   #2
[DDK]gm

[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future
Re: Scanning

yup something needs to be done about scanners and i think it should be the #1 priority not ingame defence tools. without scanners an alliance dies and people quit pa as they end up crashing.
R10 Eclipse
R10.5-R13 FAnG
R20-23 CT
R23 (CT BG) ToF
R24-R82... CT
[DDK]gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2008, 02:34   #3
mPulse
p3nguins Master Chief

mPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of light

perhaps an incentive such as allowing a scanner to build more than 150 constructions, maybe going as far as allowing a scanner to build 2 constructions at once so they aren't limited to just scanning and cant go out and attack? but putting a cap on the amount of amps to 150 and allowing maybe a possible 50 other different type's of constructions? They could dual build once every 3 amps or something along those lines?

holding onto scanners is definately a big problem at the moment!
mPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2008, 03:46   #4
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

The fact that we need specialized scanners is the problem, and we should make them less important rather than increasing their role. That means the Amps/Distorters system should be changed.
I'd like to see a percentage of success/failure depending on the amps/dist ratio of scanner and target, with no matter what a minimum of 1% and a maximum of 99% chance, meaning there is always a chance to get through (or to block) even if very tiny.
Unread 19 Mar 2008, 11:44   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Shit idea. PA doesn't need more randomness.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2008, 13:15   #6
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Shit idea. PA doesn't need more randomness.
I think the opposite, but I'm tolerant enough to respect your opinion.
Unread 19 Mar 2008, 14:03   #7
csillag

csillag is on a distinguished road

Ah well, let me share my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryph
Now this has prolly been said before but i couldn't find it ;p. Alliance scanning works kinda like i believe the old gal def worked. Alliance members can build alliance amps the marked officers of the alliance can then use these amps to scan targets for raids, incomings whatever the hell they needed scans for. The current alliance fund would be re-structured a bit so it was a scan fund each member donated to it then it was used for scanning(duh).
Well, tbh i not really like the idea. Having a well-structured alliance scanner system shows how good and competent an alliance is, and it's also a tactical factor in alliance wars(scanners being attacked by stks:P) which makes some more fun for the game - in my opinion:P
Even if 'alliance scanning' would be introduced, yuu would still need the officers to handle it, as it would be senseless if everyone had access to alliance scanning system therefore to alliance fund (not to mention the chaos it would cause:|).
I can't really see the necessity of restructuring the alliance fund, as currently official alliance scanners use this for scanning plus HCs donate from it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPulse
perhaps an incentive such as allowing a scanner to build more than 150 constructions, maybe going as far as allowing a scanner to build 2 constructions at once so they aren't limited to just scanning and cant go out and attack? but putting a cap on the amount of amps to 150 and allowing maybe a possible 50 other different type's of constructions? They could dual build once every 3 amps or something along those lines?
Again, I don't agree. This would mean a huge advantage for scanners against distwhores, as eg. a xan with a fi fleet could have 149 distorters plus a light factory, whereas a scanner 150 amps plus 50 extra construction??
Terran scanners have theoretically enough advantage against (with the 4 tick construction time best case scenario) those who are addicted to building distorters (taken the distwhore isn't terran, though).
In conclusion: construction limit should be kept as it is.

- retired -
csillag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2008, 20:06   #8
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

One question: why should alliances be made stronger?
Unread 19 Mar 2008, 20:17   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh, I hadn't even seen the original post yet.

The answer to furball's question (for my part at least) is that they shouldn't be. I think this is a bad idea which will just chase away those few new players we get and change nothing for alliance players (except that they now have to talk to scanners, and with this idea they'll have to talk to the people who have access to the alliance scans). I can't see any real advantages.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2008, 20:41   #10
[FC]Imperial

[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think a scan system which is not dependent on the random nature of a humans activity is a bad idea. There would always be an officer online to use this system to get scans and likely to cover all defence calls. This would make it even harder to land then it already is and would probably discourage the new players to try another round as they fail to do as well as they should.

We need to concentrate on other aspcts of the game to improve it.
Unread 21 Mar 2008, 18:54   #11
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

well, if you want to play a useful scan planet, you have to dedicate your planet to doing that. if you want to play a successful attack/defense planet, you dedicate to that. otherwise you become a hybrid do both, but can't scan everyone due to distorters.

with this in mind, everyone should not be allowed to be the uber scanner without sacrificing something to get there. the construction limit is there to make choosing what to build part of the strategy game. besides - when was the last time you saw a cathaar hit 150 constructions during the normal span of the round (for example)? and as an aside, disting planets are at just as much of a loss as amping ones income wise - but at least with the amp planets, if you build a fleet and attack, you can incoming scan just about everyone that will try to attack you.

gist of the post: only changes that i feel need to be made to scanning are making it easier to get jgp (or the peek that was suggested) and units (au in one research instead of 2 seperate units) for newer players so that PA can grow. alliances will always have those select few "hardcore" scanners that only do that during a round and enjoy it. being an alliance scaner isn't for everyone, and shouldn't be.
Unread 21 Mar 2008, 22:35   #12
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FC]Imperial
There would always be an officer online to use this system to get scans and likely to cover all defence calls.
I'm not sure this is as big an issue you make out. In my experience, the limiting factor for defence is lack of fleetslots and ships, rather than lack of scans.

If you're active enough to have sufficient fleetslots and defships available to cover calls, then your alliance will most likely be active enough to get scans too.

First impressions of this are pretty good, but I think the tech-tree change suggestion made in my thread should be tried first because it should be the simplest change to make.

I believe all players should have access to the basic scans required to attack and defend (units, jgps), but that teamplay should be required to get more advanced stuff (AUs, scans on distwhores). You way is best if we decide scan planets are a serious problem.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2008, 02:15   #13
Makhil

In a 3k planet Universe, scan planets (and covopers) wouldn't be a problem. But in our shrinking universe they're just limiting the (already small) number of targets.
Applying a band aid on a wooden leg can look good, but I think we could try to be a bit more creative, looking for different approches... and discussing them with an open mind, not with the autistic attitude an active minority has developped on these boards (I wonder if some have only once been part of a brainstorming session in RL).
I feel there is something to do with the bot planets...
Unread 22 Mar 2008, 08:52   #14
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Why should someone waste their round for doing scans and not play potentially for the win of the round like others. Scans alone doesnt pay back the effort, money and time spent on it. We should really support scanning by giving the scan techtree rockets or something else interesting to fight with. Or then turn to alliance/gal based scanning, which sounds like a good idea to me.