User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Mar 2008, 10:04   #51
Daynan

Daynan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fix cathaar by adding more killships

This isn't completely my idea. I overheard somebody mention something similar on IRC.

After all ships have fired and asteroids are captured but before finalising the battle report, what if incidental damage is applied to all ships that have been frozen. This can be applied on a random amount basis of about 5-20%.

eg. 1000 co was frozen battle report shows that of those 1000 co 170 were killed. 1000 fr were frozen and 80 of them were killed. and so on.

These results can not be accurately calced and so would add risk to attacking caths. You will lose ships but you won't know if you lose 5% or up to 20% until after you land

In round 25 people were attacking Caths thinking they'll take a punt as they aren't likely to lose any ships anyway.

All Cath needs to be fixed is to add an element of risk and reduce (slightly) the firing power of EMP.

PS. I enjoyed defending PK last round. He was a salvage magnet
Daynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2008, 10:39   #52
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

We've already discussed it in (several?) other threads. The accepted term for it is critical damage, you can probably search for it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2008, 11:54   #53
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daynan
This isn't completely my idea. I overheard somebody mention something similar on IRC.

After all ships have fired and asteroids are captured but before finalising the battle report, what if incidental damage is applied to all ships that have been frozen. This can be applied on a random amount basis of about 5-20%.

eg. 1000 co was frozen battle report shows that of those 1000 co 170 were killed. 1000 fr were frozen and 80 of them were killed. and so on.
The problem I see with this is that massive caths will just become more untouchable. Whilst smaller caths will still be raped.

Except in rounds where cath suck (like r25), there are usually some enormous caths who're nigh untouchable. This approach makes them even stronger (and boosts their attack power significantly). Smaller cath can't afford enough EMP and will be forced to run anyway.

The idea is quite cool and it fits really well with cath philosophy, but I don't think it improves game balance.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2008, 12:08   #54
Vladel
Retired

Vladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really nice

I think cath do need a few kill ships

Rnd 26-32 Jenova Denial (BC) Newdawn (HC)

Rnd 33 Retired
Vladel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2008, 14:21   #55
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I love how everyone here thinks they can fix Cath where everyone else has failed before. You can't. 5-20% losses? People will take that and just land as if they were attacking any other race. You need to kill a much higher proportion of ships than that to stop people landing.
Unread 16 Mar 2008, 15:38   #56
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I love how everyone here thinks they can fix Cath where everyone else has failed before.
Who has tried before, and what did they do?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 16 Mar 2008, 17:40   #57
Henchman

Henchman is an unknown quantity at this point

Frozen ships can be "mugged".

Ships arent lost but the attacking planet will loose x amount of resources based on the ships cost.
Unread 16 Mar 2008, 21:44   #58
Aragno
xVx techie

Aragno will become famous soon enoughAragno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
Frozen ships can be "mugged".

Ships arent lost but the attacking planet will loose x amount of resources based on the ships cost.
So I spend my res before I land? Don't think that'll help

[xVx]
Aragno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2008, 21:47   #59
Mzyxptlk
mz.

It changes nothing, because it's the same basic principle. You lose resources when you land vs you lose ships (= resources) when you land.
Unread 17 Mar 2008, 03:24   #60
MysticQue
Spy of the Spy

MysticQue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JungleMuffin]
You wanna fix cat??? Why, its fixed, u just play it in a broken way.

/me walks off into the distance screaming.. "YOU MAY TAKE OUR ROIDS, BUT YOU MAY NEVER TAKE..... OUR X PPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!123"
lol .. Junggle, i think he plays it on the other way round.
Unread 17 Mar 2008, 10:20   #61
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I love how everyone here thinks they can fix Cath where everyone else has failed before. You can't. 5-20% losses? People will take that and just land as if they were attacking any other race. You need to kill a much higher proportion of ships than that to stop people landing.
20% losses is quite significant when you're 160% cost-efficient at stunning something. That's 32% killing ratio guaranteed because of your amazing init. But I still don't think it balances out.

R17 I think was a reasonably successful attempt, according to the caths I spoke to.
Unread 17 Mar 2008, 12:21   #62
Daynan

Daynan is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't land on 20% losses. That's for loser xp whores who end up outside of the top 300 by the end of the round.
Daynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2008, 15:34   #63
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daynan
I wouldn't land on 20% losses. That's for loser xp whores who end up outside of the top 300 by the end of the round.
you couldn't be more wrong. xp ftw
Unread 19 Mar 2008, 16:54   #64
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Who has tried before, and what did they do?
As previously mentioned, in r17 I attempted the killship approach.

The scorpion (DE->FR) and Mantis (BS->CR) were zero loss killships against 2 attack fleets each. Meanwhile, the Roach (CR->DE) was also a pretty effective killer that made caths harder to crack. In hindsight I would have changed it slightly, but I think that it was a reasonable attempt that some caths liked. I'd have preferred to have more feedback but it's worth a shot again IMO.